Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Speaking of very good locks and advice from officialdom:
    https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1392846129239363591

Macy0161 wrote: »
    In UCD, I've seen bikes locked incorrectly on the same sheffield stand as the gardaí "how to lock you bike" bike!

I saw this in UCD one day. I feel very sorry for both victims, but this really tells the story in a single image:

539875.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'll be penalised if I don't have the house alarm on.
    This is why I never declare an alarm on my house insurance. It's worth about a fiver or a tenner on your quote which is pointless if there's a chance they could use it against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I saw this in UCD one day. I feel very sorry for both victims, but this really tells the story in a single image:

the blue bike is also at risk from been spun to crack the lock or the frame, whichever gives way first

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

silverharp wrote: »
    the blue bike is also at risk from been spun to crack the lock or the frame, whichever gives way first

With today's better locks and lightweight frames, it's always the frame...

8PcfvDZ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I see it as a bit of an arms race. There's a certain demand out there for stolen bikes which thankfully for those of us with stronger locks is largely satisfied by opportunistic thefts on bikes with ****ty locks at the moment. But if everyone upgrades to proper locks, you're just going to have more thieves with vans and angle grinders going round.

Stark wrote: »
    I see it as a bit of an arms race. There's a certain demand out there for stolen bikes which thankfully for those of us with stronger locks is largely satisfied by opportunistic thefts on bikes with ****ty locks at the moment. But if everyone upgrades to proper locks, you're just going to have more thieves with vans and angle grinders going round.

There's probably an economic analysis that could be done. I did read something once that was talking about risk/reward in the context of bike theft, and it concluded that since the risk of being caught and the additional risk of being severely punished for bike theft was low, it made the fairly unlucrative reward of selling second-hand commuter-standard bikes worth pursuing.

EDIT: I guess by the same token, the harder you make it for them to steal a bike, the worse the risk/reward ratio gets, particularly for a bike that isn't worth a great deal to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think it's no harm to remind people to have both eyes open when considering bikes on Done Deal, EBay or the likes.

If they don't seem like it's theirs, or if the price is too good to be true, there's probably a reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Big issue here that goes undiscussed by the gardai is why its so easy to sell stolen bikes.

The stolen bike industry does not exist without the internet, without used goods websites.

0.0% of bike thieves are stealing a bike because they need one themselves.

Whatever else, unless the gardai are trying to tackle this - which they dont appear to be - then the Lock it or Lose It message is just window dressing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This is why I never declare an alarm on my house insurance. It's worth about a fiver or a tenner on your quote which is pointless if there's a chance they could use it against you.
    Helps me get the rest of the family to put it on!
    I saw this in UCD one day. I feel very sorry for both victims, but this really tells the story in a single image
    The only caveat I'd say is there's a lot of abandoned bikes there too. There was one locked to railings by the gym (with the note to say it was going to be removed attached) for about 3 months pre-covid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Another issue here is that bikes come in all different shapes, sizes, and price tags.

The Gardai are saying some bikes are being left unlocked in garages.......I'd say this applies a lot more to the €80 bikes (10 year old Halfords MTB) rather than your €800 bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Many of the bikes you see on the Garda's social medial pages with recovered bikes are junkers, you rarely see the expensive ones as I imagine they're shifted on quickly, or shipped out.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Big issue here that goes undiscussed by the gardai is why its so easy to sell stolen bikes.

The stolen bike industry does not exist without the internet, without used goods websites.

There are other outlets for stolen bikes. I have been offered stolen bikes in the street, and there have been interceptions of container-loads of bikes on the way out of the country. And I think there was at least one case of a shop selling stolen bikes. But, yeah, it would be very good to target the internal market in online sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I forget who said it but someone reckoned all bikes ultimately weigh the same. The lighter and more expensive a bike, the heavier the lock you need to secure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tombo2001 wrote: »

0.0% of bike thieves are stealing a bike because they need one themselves.

Whatever else, unless the gardai are trying to tackle this - which they dont appear to be - then the Lock it or Lose It message is just window dressing for me.

Two fairly simple solutions here.

Require all bike ads have the serial number listed in text and visual form. Text from allows owner of stolen bike to set up an alert. Any discrepancy makes it obvious to buyer that bike is stolen, so they would be liable.

Require anyone selling more than x bikes a year to register with photo id.

My bakfiets doesn't appear to have a serial number, and my Brompton's serial number was a sticker they posted to me when I contacted them to tell them I couldn't find the serial number.

Mind you, I'm not looking to sell them on Done Deal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shotser

I forget who said it but someone reckoned all bikes ultimately weigh the same. The lighter and more expensive a bike, the heavier the lock you need to secure it.

This is very true, I hate my locks, so heavy and noisy if attached to the frame, or carry a backpack around resulting in sweaty back. Then there are the lack of proper parking facilities where you can lock it correctly. I used to (pre covid) leave them in work in the locked shed but that is still not a great idea. Most of the time I just don't lock it. My bikes are inside cats, they come inside with me where ever I'm going. If they are not allowed in I don't go back (if there are other options etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

SDCC Labour councillor claims that a temporary cycle track at Wellington Lane in Templeogue is "an accident waiting to happen" and poses "a serious health and safety risk" because if the road is full of cars, an emergency vehicle won't be able to get through. The councillor would rather have a raised kerb than the current bollards because drivers can easily mount the kerb if they wanted to.
    The article also says:
    In response, South Dublin County Council said they had been in contact with the HSE and Dublin Bus about the new road layout “and they have informed us that they do not have any issues”.
    It is a pity that some of our alleged pro-cycling councillors want to remove anything that improves safety for vulnerable road users simply because it removes a little bit of the road space :rolleyes:
    https://echo.ie/news/article/temporary-cycle-track-at-wellington-lane-accident-waiting-to-happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

SDCC Labour councillor claims that a temporary cycle track at Wellington Lane in Templeogue is "an accident waiting to happen" and poses "a serious health and safety risk" because if the road is full of cars, an emergency vehicle won't be able to get through. The councillor would rather have a raised kerb than the current bollards because drivers can easily mount the kerb if they wanted to.
    The article also says:
    It is a pity that some of our alleged pro-cycling councillors want to remove anything that improves safety for vulnerable road users simply because it removes a little bit of the road space :rolleyes:
    https://echo.ie/news/article/temporary-cycle-track-at-wellington-lane-accident-waiting-to-happen

It's not just about removal of road space - it's basically anything that encroches on the well established culture of car drivers being able to drive their cars up whereever they want when they want with no consequence.

But shhhuuure what about the hard pressed motorist who's had a hard day at the office and is * -JUST- trying to get home ? They wouldn't have the option to drive up over the cycle lane instead of having to wait a whole 5 seconds ? It's a war on motorists I tells ya! and they pay Road Tax !

* (C) Pat Kenny

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    * (C) Pat Kenny

His contract was just renewed at NewsTalk. I look forward to more of his medical expertise on cyclists and disease-carrying air-plumes, and the use of urban trains as vectors for cycling criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Then the kerbs go in and become a trip hazard for the thousands of elderly crossing the road...

If any councillor was interested in actually addressing the issue instead of a headline/soundbite, this thread covers it well:

https://twitter.com/6thfloorwindow/status/1394293330272563213?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

His contract was just renewed at NewsTalk. I look forward to more of his medical expertise on cyclists and disease-carrying air-plumes, and the use of urban trains as vectors for cycling criminals.

I've become hyper-alert to his use of weasel words to support his bias.

For example, I remember him bemoaning the 30kph speed limits in town. Some people had already mentioned the rampant 80kph speeding up and down the quays on weekend nights, particularly by taxis, but Pat's angle was clearly that by having to adhere to a city speed limit, the taxi drivers were being hard-pressed while they were, QUOTE- "-JUST- trying to get people home".

Apparently, in Pat's world it's OK to ignore the law if you're -JUST- trying to do something.

Thats, as long as you're in a car of course. If you're on 2 wheels, not so much. Pretty black and white about that so he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I grabbed a outdoor beer in Dalkey with a friend for his birthday at the weekend.

Kenny was doing laps in his car just to look appalled at people enjoying themselves.

If NT are doubling down by keeping him on a couple of extra years, they are certainly falling further away from Radio 1. His day is long past.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bring Tour de France to Wild Atlantic Way to boost tourism, says Fianna Fáil
    Hosting stages of the Tour de France, World Rally and Euro Velo 1 would help aid tourism recovery, according to an internal Fianna Fáil document.

Members of the parliamentary party policy committee are preparing to make a number of recommendations on how to restart the tourism and aviation industries to Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Michael McGrath.

Hosting a number of stages of large sporting events along the Wild Atlantic Way over the coming years would “greatly add to recovery planning for the sector”, the document said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

A large sporting event, comprised of multiple stages that showcase Ireland's natural beauty and brings crowds into towns... if only we had a couple of national Rásanna like that, which could do with some funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Is Euro Velo 1 not a cycling route rather than an event?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I grabbed a outdoor beer in Dalkey with a friend for his birthday at the weekend.

Kenny was doing laps in his car just to look appalled at people enjoying themselves.

If NT are doubling down by keeping him on a couple of extra years, they are certainly falling further away from Radio 1. His day is long past.

He's the embodiement of Victor Meldew, but without the humour. I heard a small bit of him this morning and I was thinking that he looks for, and runs with, the downside and whinginess in every single topic he discusses.

It was on homeworking at the time and he looked for the downside in it and said he thinks it's going the Ryanair route of employment in that you supply all your own equipment, use your own broadband (as if it's bloody metred) and your employer saves all the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

buffalo wrote: »
    A large sporting event, comprised of multiple stages that showcase Ireland's natural beauty and brings crowds into towns... if only we had a couple of national Rásanna like that, which could do with some funding?

It is a joke that we don't have a proper bike race. I know the Ras has history but it's a bit crap in fairness. Something like Slovenia or Yorkshire must surely be possible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the 'Road Collision Reporting Guidelines' have been published in the UK - this was done by the university of westminster and seems to have buy in from some media organisations.
    have just started to read them now, but i hope they avoid some of the slightly tortured language i've seen recently, made in an attempt to address agency in collisions.

https://www.rc-rg.com/

Advertisement