Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance Claim

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had a builder up to look at a chimney that had been damaged in a storm.
    I mentioned that I would probably be claiming off the insurance for it.
    He quoted €4500.

A week later he called and asked was i going ahead.
    I said that the insurance excess and then the extra on the premiums was making it so i didnt want to use the insurance to get it fixed, so i was shopping around for a quote still as i was going to be paying myself. His quote dropped to €600 instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Clon63 wrote: »
    Every day is a school day. But what you have said is what I would gave ecpected for things to pan out.

Anyway upsate from today is I rang insurance company this morning and explained situation. Spoke witj nice guy on phone. Claim handler was not available so he assured me team leader would call me back but heard nothing.

In the meantime I was in touch with a few plasterers from last night and ine was able to come tonight. Seemed to know his stuff and came revommended Can do the job next week over 2 days one prep and one replace/repair. Quoted just under €1000. So no need for insurance company no loss of NCB. Very happy.

Thanks lads for all the assistance and setting me straight. Much appreciated.

Lastly will it go against me in future years regarding premium starting to make a claim but not going ahead with it? Just a bit paranoid after the experience!

Good stuff , shows the builder was taking the piss. Hope you are not going to use him for the other job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Clon63 wrote: »
    Negative on both.

Therein lies your problem.
    Get both next time.

Advertisement