Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance Claim

Options
  • 09-05-2021 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi there - hoping for some info/advice

For the first time ever I am making a home insurance claim following a part of my ceiling in the living room collapsed following a water leak. (I think) I am not receiving a decent service from the insurance company - but maybe I am being too impatient so just want to see what people think and any advice on what I need to do:

30 Mar - Ceiling collapse. Then reported to insurance company. Advised they are not sending out asessors dur to Covid and get a quote from builder and report and send it on. Claims Rep assigned

8 April -Report Submitted with estimate c 5000

21 April - No Response in 2 weeks. Further E Mail sent for update

22 April - E Mail received back saying job appeared "a little overpriced". Requested confirmation of dimensions and further pictures.

22 April - Responded to clarify exactly what was needed

29 April - No Response to this E Mail after a week so another E Mails sent

30 April - Clarification received and request responded to as requested. Asked if anything else was needed.

8 May - No Response to this E Mail after a week. ..... Getting frustrated

I don't know if this is normal but I find it frustrating. The initial response when I received it was sort of what I expected. I still have the hole in my ceiling and the water damage and don't know what to do at this stage. The company that did thequote are now looking for a fee for doing the report for the insurance company as I haven't gone ahead with the job in 30 days. I can stall them a bit but I feel bad. I don't know if I should be looking at other people to quote for the job and maybe run up extra fees. I have told the insurance company they are more than welcome to send someone else to speed things up.

I just want the job done and would pay for it myself if needs be but then why am I paying insurance. This last week I have been hearing ads for the insurance company saying that they are there to help out when things go wrong and how it is what they do and it is just getting to me now.

Appreciate any advice or insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭standardg60

First things first, did the builder ascertain whether there was or is a leak? That is the first thing to fix. Could be a leaking pipe or roof damage.
    Secondly, that quote does sound ludicrous, what report did the builder give you stating the work to be done?
    Do you have a contract with the builder stating a 'fee' must be paid in the event of them not doing the work? If not tell them to get lost.
    Thirdly, claiming off the house insurance for what seems a small enough job is a false economy imo. I've always approached having insurance as protection against something catastrophic, it's peace of mind.
    Get a few other quotes and say you're paying for the work personally and then at least you can way up the two options.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I'm not an insurance assessor but if was and I received a claim for a partial ceiling collapse. unless the ceiling had been painted by Michelangelo, I would ask questions.

It happened to me once, about 7 years ago. One board, two bags of skim coat for the whole ceiling and a guy to do it. Cost me about €200/€250 can't remember exactly.

It may be that you received what's known as a (
    fúck
    ) off price, where the contractor doesn't really want the job (too small) and will only do it if he gets ridiculous money.

Get a few quotes, the high price may be the issue that is delaying your claim.

Also emails can take time to deal with. You might want to keep things in writing but one call might clear things up.

I'm not an insurance assessor but if was and I received a claim for a partial ceiling collapse. unless the ceiling had been painted by Michelangelo, I would ask questions.

It happened to me once, about 7 years ago. One board, two bags of skim coat for the whole ceiling and a guy to do it. Cost me about €200/€250 can't remember exactly.

It may be that you received what's known as a (
    fúck
    ) off price, where the contractor doesn't really want the job (too small) and will only do it if he gets ridiculous money.

Get a few quotes, the high price may be the issue that is delaying your claim.

Also emails can take time to deal with. You might want to keep things in writing but one call might clear things up.

Exactly, but i was more thinking re the contractor 'house insurance claim, ding ding'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The contractor is having a laugh.

Recently replaced a ceiling in a property I rent out. 600 euro to remove what’s their, reslab and plaster. Take away all waste, provide VAT receipt.

No wonder the insurance company are being slow

Did the builder provide a quote or report, a builder isn’t qualified to do a report. That’s a job for an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Thanks for all the help.

Like I said I have no idea about this. If that is an "off the wall(ceiling)" quote then thats grand and I will go elsewhere - will look up some plasterers now.

The thing was the only response I got from the insurane company was saying it seemed slightly overoriced not outrageously so. I asked for clarigication if I should get other quotes but just got no response.

There would be an excess of e500 so if in reality if it could cost less than 1200 -1509 i would just pay myself to.keep the NCB.

will call insurer tomorrow anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

€5,000 to fit some plasterboard on a ceiling, that's robbery.

Plumber "fixed" the problem - leak in pipe.

Was doung a home refurb anyway including kitchen and bathroom, painting etc and gave me a separate quote about the ceiling and advised to go to insurance company Provided a 2 page report with ingo on damage, room dimensions, pictures etc I noticed at the end of the quote after VAT there was another 6% for prelims whatever that is. Not going with him for the main job and hence the request for the fee. Is that a bit cheeky or stansard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Damien360

€5,000 to fit some plasterboard on a ceiling, that's robbery.

Boom is certainly back. Had a plasterer come to my home in 07/08 to plaster a ceiling of bathroom. Wasn’t worth his while he said which is what I think is happening on OP’s quote. He would earn more on a building site. Quoted close to 3000. I should have guessed as he rocked up in what I think was a Audi Q7 commercial. I had his card marked for years making sure to tell anyone who he was and when we built an extension during the bust, made a point to the builder not to use him. Had his own crew anyway.

Sorry typo by me. Quote was just under 4 not 5 so.lower but same balloark.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tax_tutor1

There is more work in this than some contributors think.
    Remove all ceiling and disposal of same, check electrical light in ceiling and remove and the replace same insulation possibly, reslab, skim coat, repaint ceiling, plus walls and then there is damage to flooring. Take the vat out and allow for contractors margin and you get to a couple of thousand.
    My wife put her foot through ceiling from attic and it came to €1,800 for repair of part of ceiling!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 36 Mr.Sir

€1,800 for putting a foot through ceiling. That’s believable alright.

Try it and see how much it works outs for you.
    Do you want me to post the Bill's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tax_tutor1 wrote: »
    Try it and see how much it works outs for you.
    Do you want me to post the Bill's.

You were had, of course there is more then just the board but near €4 or €5 k is nuts.

Even take down the complete ceiling and reslab, skim and paint you are taking €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

There is more work in this than some contributors think.
    Remove all ceiling and disposal of same, check electrical light in ceiling and remove and the replace same insulation possibly, reslab, skim coat, repaint ceiling, plus walls and then there is damage to flooring. Take the vat out and allow for contractors margin and you get to a couple of thousand.
    My wife put her foot through ceiling from attic and it came to €1,800 for repair of part of ceiling!

Still sounds ridiculously expensive...

I think it is expensive also but our claim included some redecorating ie painting.
    You also have to include electrician because of lights.
    There is always damage to flooring, carpets and underlay or wooden flooring with water through a ceiling. Contractors replace all to ensure that they are covered and insurance companies pay it.
    The insurance companies will have a set rate for each trade and each piece of work and it does add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Clon63 wrote: »
    Hi there - hoping for some info/advice

For the first time ever I am making a home insurance claim following a part of my ceiling in the living room collapsed following a water leak. (I think) I am not receiving a decent service from the insurance company - but maybe I am being too impatient so just want to see what people think and any advice on what I need to do:

30 Mar - Ceiling collapse. Then reported to insurance company. Advised they are not sending out asessors dur to Covid and get a quote from builder and report and send it on. Claims Rep assigned

8 April -Report Submitted with estimate c 5000

21 April - No Response in 2 weeks. Further E Mail sent for update

22 April - E Mail received back saying job appeared "a little overpriced". Requested confirmation of dimensions and further pictures.

22 April - Responded to clarify exactly what was needed

29 April - No Response to this E Mail after a week so another E Mails sent

30 April - Clarification received and request responded to as requested. Asked if anything else was needed.

8 May - No Response to this E Mail after a week. ..... Getting frustrated

I don't know if this is normal but I find it frustrating. The initial response when I received it was sort of what I expected. I still have the hole in my ceiling and the water damage and don't know what to do at this stage. The company that did thequote are now looking for a fee for doing the report for the insurance company as I haven't gone ahead with the job in 30 days. I can stall them a bit but I feel bad. I don't know if I should be looking at other people to quote for the job and maybe run up extra fees. I have told the insurance company they are more than welcome to send someone else to speed things up.

I just want the job done and would pay for it myself if needs be but then why am I paying insurance. This last week I have been hearing ads for the insurance company saying that they are there to help out when things go wrong and how it is what they do and it is just getting to me now.

Appreciate any advice or insight.

It sounds like you have a lazy claims handler, they should have rates in either a spreadsheet or app to tell you how much the average cost for the repair is, based on the information you have given, and not just say your quote is too high and then negotiate around the figures.

Companies generally only send Adjusters out if claim is likely to be over a certain value ie 10 or 20k

Once a contractor hears its going though insurance their quote will be inflated, and as you havent have a full description of actual damage to buildings and contents, posters cant comment on the 5k quote, their coming across the same as the claims handler, sure they havent a clue what the full repair is, a collapsed ceiling can easily create a 5k claim but at the same time it could be 1k, all depends on what is damaged, what needs to be repaired and replaced.

Also a fee for a quote for repairs is nonsense unless a fee is pre-agreed.

Ring the insurer and ask them what exactly they need and work from there, forget about emailing, phone calls will sort it; you should be able to negotiate down the contractor quote as well NEVER mention an insurance claim to a contractor

One other point the quality of the work was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Was doung a home refurb anyway including kitchen and bathroom, painting etc and gave me a separate quote about the ceiling and advised to go to insurance company

Sounds like an insurance scam. Had the other work started ? If so the claim should be against ye contractors insurance

Electrical work is 1 hour + travel. So 150 euro max

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

I think it is expensive also but our claim included some redecorating ie painting.
    You also have to include electrician because of lights.
    There is always damage to flooring, carpets and underlay or wooden flooring with water through a ceiling. Contractors replace all to ensure that they are covered and insurance companies pay it.
    The insurance companies will have a set rate for each trade and each piece of work and it does add up.

Exactly

• Advertisement

One other point the quality of the work was excellent.

It would want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Damien360 wrote: »
    Boom is certainly back.

Had a plasterer come to my home in 07/08 to plaster a ceiling of bathroom. Wasn’t worth his while he said

. Quoted close to 3000. .

In tonight's episode of 'things that never happened'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If emails aren't working pick up the phone and call them 4000 us rip off they may think you were trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Two questions for o/p.
    Do you have a broker?
    Do you have your own loss assessor?

Plumber "fixed" the problem - leak in pipe.

Was doung a home refurb anyway including kitchen and bathroom, painting etc and gave me a separate quote about the ceiling and advised to go to insurance company Provided a 2 page report with ingo on damage, room dimensions, pictures etc I noticed at the end of the quote after VAT there was another 6% for prelims whatever that is. Not going with him for the main job and hence the request for the fee. Is that a bit cheeky or stansard?

OP are you actually saying that the leak and damage occurred while the contractor was on site and they advised you to pursue an insurance claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Two questions for o/p.
    Do you have a broker?

On this. Similar problem here. I got an assessor/quantity surveyor. His charge is 10% of total claim and I received the cheque last week from Insurance company and builders are on site as we speak.

He did all the paper work.

OP are you actually saying that the leak and damage occurred while the contractor was on site and they advised you to pursue an insurance claim?

No was planning a refurb anyway but was waiting until after Covis restrictions. Then the ceiling happened and fast forwarded thinfs. So he came to price the main jobs and then had the conversation about the ceiling and going through insurance No work done on main job yet.

Two questions for o/p.
    Do you have a broker?

Negative on both.

spodoinkle wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a lazy claims handler, they should have rates in either a spreadsheet or app to tell you how much the average cost for the repair is, based on the information you have given, and not just say your quote is too high and then negotiate around the figures.

Companies generally only send Adjusters out if claim is likely to be over a certain value ie 10 or 20k

Once a contractor hears its going though insurance their quote will be inflated, and as you havent have a full description of actual damage to buildings and contents, posters cant comment on the 5k quote, their coming across the same as the claims handler, sure they havent a clue what the full repair is, a collapsed ceiling can easily create a 5k claim but at the same time it could be 1k, all depends on what is damaged, what needs to be repaired and replaced.

Also a fee for a quote for repairs is nonsense unless a fee is pre-agreed.

Ring the insurer and ask them what exactly they need and work from there, forget about emailing, phone calls will sort it; you should be able to negotiate down the contractor quote as well NEVER mention an insurance claim to a contractor

Every day is a school day. But what you have said is what I would gave ecpected for things to pan out.

Anyway upsate from today is I rang insurance company this morning and explained situation. Spoke witj nice guy on phone. Claim handler was not available so he assured me team leader would call me back but heard nothing.

In the meantime I was in touch with a few plasterers from last night and ine was able to come tonight. Seemed to know his stuff and came revommended Can do the job next week over 2 days one prep and one replace/repair. Quoted just under €1000. So no need for insurance company no loss of NCB. Very happy.

Thanks lads for all the assistance and setting me straight. Much appreciated.

Lastly will it go against me in future years regarding premium starting to make a claim but not going ahead with it? Just a bit paranoid after the experience!

• Advertisement

Every day is a school day. But what you have said is what I would gave ecpected for things to pan out.

Anyway upsate from today is I rang insurance company this morning and explained situation. Spoke witj nice guy on phone. Claim handler was not available so he assured me team leader would call me back but heard nothing.

In the meantime I was in touch with a few plasterers from last night and ine was able to come tonight. Seemed to know his stuff and came revommended Can do the job next week over 2 days one prep and one replace/repair. Quoted just under €1000. So no need for insurance company no loss of NCB. Very happy.

Thanks lads for all the assistance and setting me straight. Much appreciated.

Lastly will it go against me in future years regarding premium starting to make a claim but not going ahead with it? Just a bit paranoid after the experience!

Good stuff OP glad you're getting sorted.

Advertisement