Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is there can current moisture deficit map anywhere?

Yes - scroll down here: https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any update on Saturday's front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Update from the Gobi desert North Offaly. Absolutely nothing from the eastern rain last evening or morning. Fizzled out now. At least mowing the grass once every two weeks now or more rather than once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A rough idea, based on radar returns where the bulk of the rain fell, and in what quantity, over the last 24hrs: (WeatherOnline)

fS0cuPZ.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Will the Wicklow Mountain catchment area resevoirs like Roundwood and Blessington have gotten a decent topup from this rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Slowly but surely the whole country is receiving drought relief, which is set to continue for the forseeable forecast period. I would say an agricultural crisis is definitely averted (nationwide anyway) whatever about the amount required to top up reservoirs. Given that year to date rainfall is actually not far off normal, it is difficult to imagine that the bigger reservoirs are in a critical state. Plenty more rain to come anyway.
    If the west missed out overnight, they can wait for Saturday, loads of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A rough idea, based on radar returns where the bulk of the rain fell, and in what quantity, over the last 24hrs: (WeatherOnline)

Is there a scale somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

MJohnston wrote: »
    Is there a scale somewhere?

FF345307-895-F-4-A37-AF58-8-FEA59-D95-A0-C.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

grass growth has really taken off here with all the rain over the past few days. I normally cut the grass once per week at this time of the year but since last week's cold spell the grass growth slowed alot, but it got going again over last weekend and now really needs a cut as it hasn't been cut in 10 days. Garden is now soaking wet so no chance of getting the lawn cut and tomorrow looks like alot of rain too. More rain at the weekend so all of a sudden trying to find a dry period to cut the grass is becoming a challenge. If the lawn doesn't get cut over the next few day the lawnmower will be challenged, so really hoping for a few hours where the grass dries out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no shortage of rain over the next week.

Tomorrow could be a washout in many places with 20 to 30mm of rainfall expected.

ECMWF_048_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

Saturday into Sunday brings a nationwide washout across all parts of the country. 40 to 50mm of rain could happen in places over the weekend.

ECMWF_096_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

Sunday see's showers mainly in the west, some of these could be heavy.

Monday and we're back to another nationwide fall of rain, probably not as heavy as the weekend rain.

ECMWF_132_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

50 to 70mm of rain can be expected in many areas between now and Sunday evening if the models verify.

ECMWF_120_GB_APC_fr-FR_fr.png

arpegeuk-25-102-0.png?17-06

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Slowly but surely the whole country is receiving drought relief, which is set to continue for the forseeable forecast period. I would say an agricultural crisis is definitely averted (nationwide anyway) whatever about the amount required to top up reservoirs. Given that year to date rainfall is actually not far off normal, it is difficult to imagine that the bigger reservoirs are in a critical state. Plenty more rain to come anyway.
    If the west missed out overnight, they can wait for Saturday, loads of rain.

Not in north Offaly. Got 0.5mm last night. Have recieved nothing otherwise. It just seems not want rain here

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

What next week looking like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Farmer2017 wrote: »

Have a look at Gonzo's post put up 15 minutes ago

Plenty of rain over the next 4 to 5 days starting from tomorrow.

I am hoping this unsettled spell lasts a week tops, by then everyone should be well recovered from the drought. Last thing most of us want is the Atlantic on steroids for the rest of the summer. It won't take many weeks of Atlantic weather before farmers start crying out for dry weather again.

Plenty of rain tomorrow particularly the eastern half of the country. Friday might be a dryer interlude. Saturday and Sunday will be very wet across all parts of the country with a considerable dumping of rain. Monday most likely will see another spell of moderate rain across all parts. It looks like staying unsettled after next Monday with rain or showers at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

The forecast for Sligo seems wrong every day. Sunny today. I thought sun was for east and south.

But yes Atlantic will definitely bring rain here. Just how much. I'll keep ye updated. Maybe this thread will be far far down the threads this time next week

pauldry wrote: »
    The forecast for Sligo seems wrong every day. Sunny today. I thought sun was for east and south.

But yes Atlantic will definitely bring rain here. Just how much. I'll keep ye updated. Maybe this thread will be far far down the threads this time next week

From Saturday rain will be much more evenly distributed across the country as bands of rain and showers will cross the country from the west. The Atlantic certainly looks like it is going to take over our weather for the next week. However the Azores high will ridge across England and Wales and extend up towards Scandinavia over the next week, there is a chance this ridging could affect Ireland at some point, but right now this is beginning to look alot like last summer where Ireland isn't going to be left alone from the Atlantic and us missing out on that lovely Azores ridge for the time being.

It is uncertain how long this unsettled spell will go on for but I am hoping that we see a resuming of the dry and settled conditions by the end of the month, we could all be well sick of the rain by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

The last unsettled spell brought 15mm around May 22nd and 23rd. Hope it's one of those types.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    The last unsettled spell brought 15mm around May 22nd and 23rd. Hope it's one of those types.

You'll have a lot more this time. This thread will go quiet for a while over the coming days. The weather will hopefully settle down again towards the end of June

Totals (mm) over the last 4 week period (up to yesterday) at the reporting Met Eireann stations:

0VF4r5t.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

~24.0mm for Durrow in the last four weeks.

9.2mm so far this June.

May delivered 15.4mm
    April delivered 24.9mm
    March gave 52.5mm - but notably no rain was recorded since St. Patrick's Day right out to month's end.

So, since St. Patrick's Day, we've had a whopping 49.5mm - which is exactly three months! That 49.5mm would constitute a drier than average in the driest month of the year for these parts. It kind of puts it all into context when looking at the data like that. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭endainoz

A bit of thanks wouldn't go a stray either.

DRY QUARTER OF THE YEAR 2020: It has been three months since St. Patrick's Day and the commencement of Covid-19 restrictions in Ireland. Interestingly and coincidentally the weather took a remarkable turn to dry and settled conditions since.
    Looking back at the data and a few eyebrow raising statistics stand out. Over the course of the three months just 49.5mm of rain has fallen at our station in Durrow. If any month of the year recorded 49.5mm it would be considered a drier than average month, so to only register this amount over three months is extremely interesting!
    Crucially this dry spell has coincided with an important time for gardeners and farmers when crops and plants require warmth and moisture - but this lack of moisture has severely hampered growth for these industries. In addition, water reservoirs are running lower putting strain on local supplies.
    The wettest days over the last three months were April 5th with 10.9mm recorded and May 21st with 11.7mm recorded. No other day in the period exceeded 4mm and only nineteen days exceeded 1mm.
    The outlook suggests only small relief from the current dry spell with hit-and-miss showers across the county for the next few days before an organised spell of rain on Saturday afternoon moves in, clearing to showers for Sunday. Next week though it seems that high pressure will give a largely dry, sunny and warm week in general.

You are in for a potentially large wallop of rain tomorrow Danno. E Munster, pretty much all of Leinster and much of Ulster looking good. We west of the Shannon might have to wait until the weekend for a half decent drop, and I won't be holding my breath either.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I like the last part...Next week though it seems that high pressure will give a largely dry, sunny and warm week in general.

Is there agreement from the models on this?

I like the last part...Next week though it seems that high pressure will give a largely dry, sunny and warm week in general.

Is there agreement from the models on this?

I wouldn't be totally confident of dry and settled conditions resuming next week, that low pressure looks very close to Ireland for several days after Saturday's rain, blustery showers on Sunday with possibly another pulse of rain on Monday.

Eastern areas certainly stand a chance of going a bit dryer but with the winds in from the west there is the likelihood of rain or showers at times, particularly across western and north-western areas.

There is alot of talk on UK based websites about very warm weather and possibly a heatwave next week, it is unlikely this will affect Ireland, this would mainly be for eastern Wales, central and southern England.

The GFS is keeping Ireland on the cooler and more mixed side up to FI. There is a chance we may get the odd warm and settled day, eastern and southern areas most likely to get a slight influence of warmth at times.

The ECM generally keeps us cool over the next week with a slight warming towards the end of next week. This will update later so hopefully we will see more signs of settled conditions later next week.

GEM keeps Ireland cool and unsettled over the next week with bands of rain on Saturday, Monday, possibly Tuesday and again on Thursday into Friday.

This change back to an Atlantic pattern for Ireland from Saturday is dependent on Saturday's low making full progress through the country and then on into Scotland. This will cause the Azores high to stay south of Ireland and then nose northwards over England from the Bay of Biscay and France. This would not be a full break through of the Atlantic, but it would be enough to keep Ireland occupied with attacks from the Atlantic every few days untill the Azores can nudge a bit more towards or into Ireland.

This change is still 2 days away and a slight alteration in the tracking of this low could have a big impact on our weather outlook. If the low zips a bit more north than it's current projected track over Ireland, then we may see less of an influence from this low including its duration. If this was to happen Ireland would stand a better chance of getting into that ridge from the Azores if the low give's us a near miss. IF the low misses us altogether and gets shifted further to our north-west it is possible Ireland would then join the UK with a warm and possibly settled week next week. I don't think this will happen but it is something I would love to see developing in the models by tonight and into tomorrow!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    You are in for a potentially large wallop of rain tomorrow Danno. E Munster, pretty much all of Leinster and much of Ulster looking good. We west of the Shannon might have to wait until the weekend for a half decent drop, and I won't be holding my breath either.

The latest GFS is predicting 75mm here by months end...

GFSOPUK12_336_18.png

I somehow doubt it - and I'll be surprised if even half that is reached.

I think tomorrow's occluded front won't mount to a fierce amount here, I'm pinning my reasoning on this down to a Wicklow Mtns shadow effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Danno wrote: »
    The latest GFS is predicting 75mm here by months end...

GFSOPUK12_336_18.png

I somehow doubt it - and I'll be surprised if even half that is reached.

I think tomorrow's occluded front won't mount to a fierce amount here, I'm pinning my reasoning on this down to a Wicklow Mtns shadow effect.

Agree with you on both counts there Danno...rainfall forecasts since March have been woefully inaccurate and I don't see a sudden shift to a more accurate verification this week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Rainfall is a day late and a dollar short

latest ECM still keeps the rain on Saturday and possibly Monday. From Tuesday it moves that azores influence a little bit closer to us but we're on the very edge. Perhaps parts of east and south-east Leinster might tap into some warmth (high teens/low 20's) for a day or two if we can get some dryer and more sunny conditions.

ECMOPEU12_168_1.png

We finish very close to getting the ridge into the country, we just have to hope the lows in the Atlantic start making more of a northerly track towards Iceland, rather than diving south to brush up against Ireland as they pass.

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

It wouldn't take much adjustment to suddenly go from a fairly unsettled outlook to something much dryer and warmer. There is still hope yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It's all to play for next week so Gonzo!!

Advertisement