Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael bots on Boards

Options
  • 05-12-2019 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dude, your username is the name of the Taoiseach’s partner, and you’ve an almost worrying obsession with FG and its machinations.

I’d say the best feedback you could be given is to stop getting so worked up about this stuff.

The idea that there would be organised groups of FG posters on a site like boards is far-fetched at best. And especially in such a cesspit of a forum like Current Affairs. People support different parties and policies than you do. That’s life my man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Dude, your username is the name of the Taoiseach’s partner, and you’ve an almost worrying obsession with FG and its machinations.

I’d say the best feedback you could be given is to stop getting so worked up about this stuff.

The idea that there would be organised groups of FG posters on a site like boards is far-fetched at best. And especially in such a cesspit of a forum like Current Affairs. People support different parties and policies than you do. That’s life my man.

Johnny, I want to discuss bots not FG policy. Thanks.
    I wear my views on my sleeve you've not dug up anything hidden. As you say just look at my signature.

Now, can we get back to bots? Did you read the OP, "If folk like or dislike policies, grand stuff, lets talk about it"?

The bots destroy any genuine debate IMO. You go in to discuss the latest news items and the team come in and try to pull distraction and whatabout. That's tiresome. You know this to be true. Some of the number had the original Bailey thread closed. Remember that? Johnny?
    Bots are not genuine posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What do you mean by bots?

People who are active members of the Fine Gael party who have instantiated themselves into the community?
    Fine Gael voters who are standing by their party?
    Something more automated/AI driven (i.e. not real people?!)

Can you provide examples?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I can only speak for the Politics forum.

We'd define "bots" as people being paid or volunteering to push a co-ordinated political message onto the forum. When we find these types of accounts we'd usually permanently ban them immediately and delete their posts. Most of the time, they only last a few hours.

Virtually all of the bot accounts we've banned, in my time in Politics at least, appear to be come from Russia-backed operations. We've yet to find evidence of any bot-type contributions sponsored by Irish political parties. We have, on occasion, received reported posts where people mistook genuine posters for bots.

If anyone suspects an account to be a bot, please report the post and we'll investigate.

Mr E wrote: »
    What do you mean by bots?

People who are active members of the Fine Gael party who have instantiated themselves into the community?
    Fine Gael voters who are standing by their party?
    Something more automated/AI driven (i.e. not real people?!)

Can you provide examples?

People who post against the opinions they are told to post using the same terminology and key words we see in the media coming from the FG party, often the day before we see them coming from the party.
    People who only ever try to divert or shut down discussion on a daily basis who never offer an opinion or attempt to discuss the topic at hand. Trolls, trolling for FG, bots.

We had a Maria Bailey thread shut down in Current Affairs due to the actions of four FG bots IMO.

Can I? I'd need quote posters.
    I can supply quotes from the past few days which contain the same key words and views Leo and FG are cited saying the next day in the press.

• Advertisement

I can only speak for the Politics forum.

We'd define "bots" as people being paid or volunteering to push a co-ordinated political message onto the forum. When we find these types of accounts we'd usually permanently ban them immediately and delete their posts. Most of the time, they only last a few hours.

Virtually all of the bot accounts we've banned, in my time in Politics at least, appear to be come from Russia-backed operations. We've yet to find evidence of any bot-type contributions sponsored by Irish political parties. We have, on occasion, received reported posts where people mistook genuine posters for bots.

If anyone suspects an account to be a bot, please report the post and we'll investigate.

I've flagged the same few time and again for trolling. They will gang up on any poster with a style akin to that which I just described above. I find the policing in Politics to be woeful quite frankly. I've a thread in here regarding being called a liar multiple times with no Mod action. Only Hullabaloo and myself posted in it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've flagged the same few time and again for trolling. They will gang up on any poster with a style akin to that which I just described above.

On the off chance that I missed any of these reported posts, please PM me a list of names and I'll double check.

I searched the reported posts forum for the word "bot". 84 occurances, none from Matt Barrett, and none in CA/IMHO or Politics.
    One mention in Politics Café 4 years ago.

If you report some, we can investigate.

On the off chance that I missed any of these reported posts, please PM me a list of names and I'll double check.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058021718

Will do, this is in current affairs and politics, more so current affairs.

I searched the reported posts forum for the word "bot". 84 occurances, none from Matt Barrett, and none in CA/IMHO or Politics.
    One mention in Politics Café 4 years ago.

If you report some, we can investigate.

It would be for trolling, when I thought they were independent trolls. You'll find a lot for trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

It would be for trolling, when I thought they were independent trolls. You'll find a lot for trolling.

I think you have got to be very careful calling anyone here bots. I know for some one like yourself the idea that anyone could support FG or any of their policies is unbelievable. However given FGs support based on opinion polls you would expect to find posters with those views on the site. That's if boards is anyway representative of the Irish public. A good example would be the Brexit thread where the overwhelming amount of posters are anti brexit which is something you would expect given that given that boards is an Irish site and how most Irish people view the EU. Are all pro and anti EU posters bots? Just because you dislike an opinion you can't call a person a bot.

PeadarCo wrote: »
    I think you have got to be very careful calling anyone here bots. I know for some one like yourself the idea that anyone could support FG or any of their policies is unbelievable. However given FGs support based on opinion polls you would expect to find posters with those views on the site. That's if boards is anyway representative of the Irish public. A good example would be the Brexit thread where the overwhelming amount of posters are anti brexit which is something you would expect given that given that boards is an Irish site and how most Irish people view the EU. Are all pro and anti EU posters bots? Just because you dislike an opinion you can't call a person a bot.

Not named anybody. Most folk would have their idea of who is or isn't.

No you are wrong. Did you read the OP? I've voted FG before and I know FG supporters in 3D. This isn't about policy it's about accounts being used to divert and close down discussion.
    It's rampant right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Not named anybody. Most folk would have their idea of who is or isn't.

No you are wrong. Did you read the OP? I've voted FG before and I know FG supporters in 3D. This isn't about policy it's about accounts being used to divert and close down discussion.
    It's rampant right now.

Yes I read it and I don't see what you are talking about. I'm a regular reader of the politics forum and semi regular poster. I don't see what your seeing. Now that could be purely to my inherent biases when reading threads. However the reverse is also true. You own views could equally be colouring your perception.

Personally I think the mods in politics do a good job. The Brexit threads where most of my recent posting has been are a case in point. You still have pro brexit posters which given the Irish nature of this site is never going to be a popular opinion. It would be very easy for those posters to be drowned out.

PeadarCo wrote: »
    Yes I read it and I don't see what you are talking about. I'm a regular reader of the politics forum and semi regular poster. I don't see what your seeing. Now that could be purely to my inherent biases when reading threads. However the reverse is also true. You own views could equally be colouring your perception.

Personally I think the mods in politics do a good job. The Brexit threads where most of my recent posting has been are a case in point. You still have pro brexit posters which given the Irish nature of this site is never going to be a popular opinion. It would be very easy for those posters to be drowned out.

That's fine.

I disagree. We've trolls in there and I had one poster breach charter multiple times with no sanctions.
    I'm not here to discuss Mods, it's a thankless job and they have other priorities in life.
    I'm asking Boards.ie to look into FG trolls/Bots. I've submitted accounts.
    If you don't see a problem, great. No worries.

@Matt - I reviewed your reported posts since Monday. Some were actioned (yellow cards), but some weren't actionable.

There are posts where people claim you are posting nonsense, or people say you want 100,000 social houses built in D1 and D2 (for example).

These posts are not actionable. If people call you out on what you post, the onus is on you to refute their claims/allegations.

As mods, there is nothing we can do about those posts. They might be mildly antagonistic, but they are not trolling or abusive (and in fairness, you give as good as you get!)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So OP, you seem keen to participate in FG bashing threads - are you a "bot"? Is that why you started this thread?

Indeed, from what I've seen in CA, there is a lot more FG-bashing going on than anyone supporting them

Of course, as the party in power that's to be expected to some extent.

Beasty wrote: »
    So OP, you seem keen to participate in FG bashing threads - are you a "bot"? Is that why you started this thread?

Indeed, from what I've seen in CA, there is a lot more FG-bashing going on than anyone supporting them

Of course, as the party in power that's to be expected to some extent.

No, not bashing. I am keen on an issue of policy when deserved. I gave Simon a nod for his Gaza plans the other day. I always have a point of policy I'm discussing.
    So I raise a query ask Boards to look into it and you try pull the old switcharoo, nice. I'm not against any pro FG policy persons who will discuss FG policy or news items.

Again, you misunderstand. Look at the posts discussing a topic as compared to those trying to divert or in some cases play the man not the ball.

Yes. I've raised that myself, as the party in power it is to be expected. If they are replaced by FF, you will see my attentions move away from FG, like my vote and support for Labour.

@Matt - I reviewed your reported posts since Monday. Some were actioned (yellow cards), but some weren't actionable.

There are posts where people claim you are posting nonsense, or people say you want 100,000 social houses built in D1 and D2 (for example).

These posts are not actionable. If people call you out on what you post, the onus is on you to refute their claims/allegations.

As mods, there is nothing we can do about those posts. They might be mildly antagonistic, but they are not trolling or abusive (and in fairness, you give as good as you get!)

Thanks for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hands up, I operate a bot account, but it's not on here - it's on a telegram channel I run for my customers, it's a fairly easy thing to do, it has numerous stock responses (will greet new members to the channel etc) and will ban users who spam etc (by asking the same questions over and over and over again)

I don't think these are the kind of bots being referred to in the OP, not literally anyway.

No, I think the OP may be referring to the numerous posters on boards who appear like someone said beetle juice X 3, any time a fg booboo or a minister or TD gets caught with their hands in the cookie jar, and they swarm en masse into a thread and appear to all be singing off the same hymn sheet with the same scripts.

Now I'm not accusing them of operating sock puppet accounts, or operating from the SCU, but there's definitely a strong vibe that they're operating in unison in concerted efforts to distract, deflect and obstruct threads.

Many actually have "no opinion" on the thread subject, they'll just tell you they're posting in the thread to take potshots at those who are contributing to the thread.

Little rascals they are. I just have the craic calling out their nonsense. They too easily expose themselves as the gombeens they are with their hypocritical nonsense.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058021718

Will do, this is in current affairs and politics, more so current affairs.

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for the PM. I've had a chance to look at it this evening. Of the seven user names you gave me, four have never posted in Politics, so I'm unfamiliar with them.

With regard to the other three, I'm satisfied that none of them are bots.

• Advertisement

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for the PM. I've had a chance to look at it this evening. Of the seven user names you gave me, four have never posted in Politics, so I'm unfamiliar with them.

With regard to the other three, I'm satisfied that none of them are bots.

I challenge you to find one opinion ever from contestant number one. Seriously one opinion ever on any politics or current affairs thread.

The final late entrant is a troll of the highest order.

Anyway, thanks again.

Send me the list too please, Matt. I'd like to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Did someone not say that they were sent a PM from a FG member in error? Think this was over in CA. I believe Beasty closed the thread afterwards.

Might be worth looking into that to see if it was genuine.

Edit: actually it was Johnny above, here’s the thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111827690

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It used to be believed that there were Sinn Fein bots/shills too.

I don't get it - why must "They're supportive of a party I personally could never support" automatically = "bot"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Did someone not say that they were sent a PM from a FG member in error? Think this was over in CA. I believe Beasty closed the thread afterwards.

Might be worth looking into that to see if it was genuine.

Edit: actually it was Johnny above, here’s the thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111827690
    That was just someone messing. See Prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Raconteuse wrote: »

That’s gas. Pity a note wasn’t put on the closed thread.

wouldnt like to speculate as to whether im one of our boy's bots, but if i may quote my own goodself (which absolutely ought be a yellow card, admittedly) on what would appear to be a relevant train of thought:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058035734/29/#post111934493

OP thinks that anyone who takes issue with constant govt-bashing is therefore a govt bot, i think.

id suggest this shows a fairly limited perspective.

as pointed out, the govt is actually representative of yknow quite a few ppl.

and furthermore, quite a few others do react to the same logins posting, dare i say it, what could just as easily be portrayed as party political statements and coordinated attacks on any and every action of govt.

if one behaviour is evidence of bots........then surely so is the other?

anyway, thread is ... amusing, if its not out of line to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Raconteuse wrote: »

That was pretty funny in fairness.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058032754

• Registered Users Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't see much difference between those stridently defending them and those stridently attacking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And what of the ubiquitous “shinnerbots”, M? Will you be looking to purge them from the system too?

As for trolling, your username is trolling, and a rather creepy one at that, and you repeatedly call the electorate “idiots”, or at least you imply that they are, because they don’t see things as narrow-mindedly, or as simplistically, as you, yourself, do.

As for getting a, somewhat, “popular” thread shutdown, something I, myself, was accused of having a hand in, you, and your group, were posting round the clock to keep the thread on the first page of the forum. When the story dried up you then posted links to any old insurance story and even resorted to moaning about car insurance renewals.

People aren’t always going to agree with you, M, even if you think you’re right. I don’t know if you indulge in smoking of those marijuana “cigarettes” but, if you do, I would suggest you lay off them for awhile. This thread smacks of paranoid delusions and “jumping” at shadows.

Also, I should add, people aren’t always going to like you but when you’re starting out using the “username” you have you’re already starting inciting others against you.

But you already know that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement