Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Topper

• 15-05-2019 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭

Going to trade in my topper. It's an Abbey 9ft trailed I think. I should know.. Going OK. But would need money spent on it. Not getting a mower. What toppers are good and what price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joe390

Major have good toppers . They manufactur alot of stuff so they know what there at . Good strong products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is there belts on major toppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Why not a mower. Just out of curiosity?

Why not a mower. Just out of curiosity?

A good few rocks in ground. Topper gives me a bit more leeway in rough ground

whelan2 wrote: »

Think there mostly gearboxes with no belts . Nothe sure though . Give them a ring and they'll sort you out . What part of country are you in?

• Advertisement

Joe390 wrote: »
    Think there mostly gearboxes with no belts . Nothe sure though . Give them a ring and they'll sort you out . What part of country are you in?

Louth

Louth

Orite major are in mayo but they have alot of stock in different agri shops and the likes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

I don't think any toppers use belts now....All gearbox driven, as far as I know..
    Are you going trailed again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Joe390 wrote: »
    Orite major are in mayo but they have alot of stock in different agri shops and the likes .

Wylie engineering are selling down here in cork and seem to be well made. Toppers as whole are a very simple machine.

With each manufacturer using the same components such as comer gearboxes and couplings usually the main difference being the colour.You have a good selection to choose from abbey,major,Wylie, Fleming,lsm, conor and belmac.

hopeso wrote: »
    I don't think any toppers use belts now....All gearbox driven, as far as I know..
    Are you going trailed again?

Ye will probably go trailed. Had a few ruscon ones before the Abbey one. They had belts.

• Advertisement

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Wylie engineering are selling down here in cork and seem to be well made. Toppers as whole are a very simple machine.

With each manufacturer using the same components such as comer gearboxes and couplings usually the main difference being the colour.You have a good selection to choose from abbey,major,Wylie, Fleming,lsm, conor and belmac.

I’d agree about them all using the same components, but some will be better built than others. This will probably be reflected in the price..... Galvanizing is starting to feature on toppers lately now too, but, will come at a price.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TPF2012

We have a major topper, great machine, can take some abuse, rough land. Any ideas on a good topper that would be fairly light. The major is a bit heavy for our 135, which is handy with the double wheels to get at soft ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Mr..

major seem a good topper, parts of the machine are galvanised now, blades are dear though, they will deal directly too

Oh rang 5 places this morning and no calls back yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have had 2 majors here over the last 15yrs, both have rotted totally before any mechanical issues, and I certainly wouldn't be easy on them (use them as a land leveller often ha). I priced up a new 9ft trailed major a month back, something like 7k!, absolutely nuts price considering you 1could get a mower for that. I've yet to come across a 2nd hand topper in my brief looking that Id be happy would be a reasonable upgrade on myown old yoke (I'm especially not gonna shell out 3k for one), so will see now how much the local engineering workshop will charge me to fix up the bed, if it's anything under 1000e I'll prb go with that and get another 3/4yrs outa it.

Fleming 9ft topper €6750 Inc vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Had a Major side mounted. Think she was 8 foot. Excellent machine, took some amount of abuse and only broke shear bolts.

Have a 9ft trailed Abbey now and it’s soft in comparison, gearbox/donuts etc.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    We have a major topper, great machine, can take some abuse, rough land. Any ideas on a good topper that would be fairly light. The major is a bit heavy for our 135, which is handy with the double wheels to get at soft ground.

What type of topper have you? If it's on a 135, I assume it's one of the 6' semi offset?
    While there may be some difference in weights between makes, I don't know if there'd be a whole lot. Most manufacturers have a website, with details of their toppers. The weight of the machine is usually listed...

Keep us updated..... I'd imagine that price will be at the lower end of the spectrum, but it will be interesting to see.....

Keep us updated..... I'd imagine that price will be at the lower end of the spectrum, but it will be interesting to see.....

They won't take a trade in.

• Advertisement

They won't take a trade in.

Sure that's what DoneDeal is for...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I've a 9ft Major Trailed.

Cost 5k new 4 years ago.

Serious machine, does exactly what I wanted and quickly. Still like new but I look after it, keep it indoors, clean etc.

One fault I'd have is that the tires could be wider.

Having said that if I was to buy again I'd consider going with a 8ft/9ft disc mower and 4 skids. Reason being I think you get a cleaner cut with a disc mower and thus quicker regrowth.

Would have to look into this further before making any decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is this the floating topper, towed on the links rather like a silage mower?

Have a Conor 8ft trailed here, tough machine, especially on bumpy ground. Conor don't make them any more though, too much competition from others I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

riemann wrote: »
    I've a 9ft Major Trailed.

Cost 5k new 4 years ago.

Serious machine, does exactly what I wanted and quickly. Still like new but I look after it, keep it indoors, clean etc.

One fault I'd have is that the tires could be wider.

Having said that if I was to buy again I'd consider going with a 8ft/9ft disc mower and 4 skids. Reason being I think you get a cleaner cut with a disc mower and thus quicker regrowth.

Would have to look into this further before making any decisions.

Have a major 8ft myself and zero issues. However if i was to upgrade I'd buy a disc mower as u say far better cut and u have the option of a mower.

kk.man wrote: »
    Have a major 8ft myself and zero issues. However if i was to upgrade I'd buy a disc mower as u say far better cut and u have the option of a mower.

Just wondering in drought conditions would the regrowth be better after the topper as you're not cutting as low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just wondering in drought conditions would the regrowth be better after the topper as you're not cutting as low?

I find it drags weeds, nettles etc which is not good but the major topper is the best on the market imo. The mower would give a clean and more uniform cut and how often do we have a drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Have a fleming 9ft mounted topper here.
    It's the HD version with galvanised skids, HD gearbox. bought it for 3200 4 years ago. Major were an extra thousand for the HD version.
    Don't go side mounted /offset. Had one here and the frame went in a mess after a while. As well as that for road work its mad bouncy and fierce hard on springs. I know some fellas don't like the topper straight behind you but If you're worried about stones you reversed.

You'll never get a good second hand topper. It's as well bite the bullet and buy new.

Have a fleming 9ft mounted topper here.
    It's the HD version with galvanised skids, HD gearbox. bought it for 3200 4 years ago. Major were an extra thousand for the HD version.
    Don't go side mounted /offset. Had one here and the frame went in a mess after a while. As well as that for road work its mad bouncy and fierce hard on springs. I know some fellas don't like the topper straight behind you but If you're worried about stones you reversed.

You'll never get a good second hand topper. It's as well bite the bullet and buy new.

This is what we have
    https://www.fleming-agri.co.uk/products/agriculture/in-line-grass-toppers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭visatorro

Have eight ft Fleming superfloat. Mounted and folds in behind tractor. It's grand but I'd prefer a mower. Replaced the two gearboxs after hitting uneven grand. The topper leaves a mat of grass on the paddocks which I don't like. With rough ground you can just lift up the mower.
    New Fleming wouldn't be big money, I forget what was paid for it.

visatorro wrote: »
    Have eight ft Fleming superfloat. Mounted and folds in behind tractor. It's grand but I'd prefer a mower. Replaced the two gearboxs after hitting uneven grand. The topper leaves a mat of grass on the paddocks which I don't like. With rough ground you can just lift up the mower.
    New Fleming wouldn't be big money, I forget what was paid for it.

Who did you deal with for the Fleming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't really understand the unconditional preference for a mower to do a toppers job.
    Fair enough if you want to just buy one machine, but what are the rest of ye trying to top that you need a mower?

Wouldn't want to be bothering myself using a good mower out topping a few patches of thistles.

Do these toppers leave a better finish than the bog standard single rotor 6' semi offset toppers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Don't really understand the unconditional preference for a mower to do a toppers job.
    Fair enough if you want to just buy one machine, but what are the rest of ye trying to top that you need a mower?

Wouldn't want to be bothering myself using a good mower out topping a few patches of thistles.

Agree fully. A decent mo-co is completely unsuitable for topping unless you are happy to disconnect the conditioner and risk the bed every time you go near a ditch.

A topper will do a decent job if the blades are kept sharp and they are far more durable machines.

maidhc wrote: »
    Agree fully. A decent mo-co is completely unsuitable for topping unless you are happy to disconnect the conditioner and risk the bed every time you go near a ditch.

A topper will do a decent job if the blades are kept sharp and they are far more durable machines.

Not all disc mowers are conditioners.

Skids can be bought and easily fixed to a mower to lift the bed out of the danger zone.

I had the same thought process as you a few years ago, hence buying a topper.

Last year I topped the outside few laps of a field with a mower and finished it with the topper. Difference is still visible even now, mowed ground much cleaner and has thicker grass. Mowed grass will also regrow quicker.

Also worth noting this was with a newly sharpened topper compared to a mower with a bit of work done. I think you summed it up your self with the term "decent", whereas a mower will do a proper job.

Also no harm to cut the grass down to the butt every couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

No way I'd use my mower for topping. I'd be right pee'd off if it broke down while cutting weeds and impacted on the silage/hay making.

Topper here gets fairly abused with everything from cutting rough fields of rushes to cutting hedges that are encroaching on fields. If it breaks down there is no panic in repairing it, unlike the mower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

riemann wrote: »
    Also no harm to cut the grass down to the butt every couple of years.

Yeah but you can either give it a heavy grazing or else lock it up for a cut of silage every couple of years.

Or buy a few sheep to keep it clean!

Do these toppers leave a better finish than the bog standard single rotor 6' semi offset toppers?

Never used the 6 foot one. It looks a slow job.
    Tbh a mower would be ideal but our ground doesnt suit it
    Mowers are only suitable for pre mowin not after topping.
    They don't mulch the residual like a topper does and if you have any volume left it'll choke the new grass whereas with a topper it rots into the soil.
    As well when we were buying a neighbour was changing the bed in a 4/5 year old Kuhn. My neighbour said that the bed was destroed by small bits of weeds and stuff getting into the bed. Mowers are bulit for high volumes of grass not topping and where you have good blades well edged and down to 4-5 cm topping helps.
    Otherwise might as well pour the diesel down the drain.

Skipping paddocks for bales is a better job imo where possible

Yeah but you can either give it a heavy grazing or else lock it up for a cut of silage every couple of years.

Or buy a few sheep to keep it clean!

It would appear you have made your mind up and will not listen to any other options.

Unsurprising given your username.

I'm just after seeing this ad.... It lists the Major 9ft trailed at less than the Fleming, which surprises me..... https://www.donedeal.ie/toppers-for-sale/new-major-toppers/19274252

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

cutting thistles is one thing; a grass mower will mow the grass
    stem at 4 cms for good regrowth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

emaherx wrote: »
    No way I'd use my mower for topping. I'd be right pee'd off if it broke down while cutting weeds and impacted on the silage/hay making.

Topper here gets fairly abused with everything from cutting rough fields of rushes to cutting hedges that are encroaching on fields. If it breaks down there is no panic in repairing it, unlike the mower.

I'd agree with that. A mower would be fine for topping on good grazing ground that you know but it's hard to beat the topper in rough ground with stones. Have a 6ft galvanised major here and the abuse it has seen is unreal and still flying it. Has cut everything from strong rushes to briars to blacthorns to huge stones and bar a few packs of shearbolts and a few blades has needed nothing.

Abbey 8ft 4900 Inc vat. No trade in. Measured ours and it is an 8ft. Used our own one for a short time yesterday. Its OK. Will stick it up on done deal.

Abbey 8ft 4900 Inc vat. No trade in. Measured ours and it is an 8ft. Used our own one for a short time yesterday. Its OK. Will stick it up on done deal.

That's very handy money for a trailed topper.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That's very handy money for a trailed topper.....

I reckon thats mounted and flicks out to side

Did you sell it? https://www.donedeal.ie/toppers-for-sale/wanted-8ft-trailed-abbey-topper/22384010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With a trailer topper does it cut the ground as well where the tyre tracks on tractor went and knocked the grass down iykwim?......

See a neighbour here with a topper that reverses around the fields when topping!.....is this to counteract grass/rushes etc being knocked down before meeting the toppers blades?

With a trailer topper does it cut the ground as well where the tyre tracks on tractor went and knocked the grass down iykwim?......

See a neighbour here with a topper that reverses around the fields when topping!.....is this to counteract grass/rushes etc being knocked down before meeting the toppers blades?

It slews out to the side of the tractor when working, just like a trailed mower. So, there are no tractor tracks in front of it....

Sold mine about a month ago to someone from boards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Conor I bought 7yrs ago no trouble so far9ft geared I have to use trailed as hills

• Advertisement
Advertisement