Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident at P&E Boarding Kennels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

How do you propose they do that?

The dog is dead .

The post mortem was inconclusive yet he is being tarnished as the big bag man.

This dog that everyone is saying was cremated. We're is the evidence? Where is the link?

This thread and the unfounded accusations is a disgrace.

All we are short of is a lynch mob arriving at the kennels with flaming torches and a rope.

How do you ignore other cases of neglect being brought up by other people about this same kennel. This dog was in the kennels at the same time as Nova.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2480487421971149&id=100000297475003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

LorelaiG wrote: »
    How do you ignore other cases of neglect being brought up by other people about this same kennel. This dog was in the kennels at the same time as Nova.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2480487421971149&id=100000297475003

He said there was only one other dog in at the same time as Nova.

But Nova's owner had 2 dogs in. Now this dog is three.

That looks like puncture bite marks on the dog in that link which I had commented on previously.

Again, no engagement with the owener.

If you look at Videos of P&E, there are large, sometimes aggressive breeds just running around willy nilly. Some wearing prong collars (which are not recommended due to their cruelty). It looks like a free for all.

Another discussion I have read relates to the sources of the rescue dogs and the lack of home checks, vacinations.

Animal brokering is an issue in this country.

There are a number of serious questions need to be asked of this facility and its ethos and standards.

There is absolutely no defence to the way Nova was presented to her owner and the lack of communication following the event. The photo was just horrible and would go straight to the heart of any dog owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

anewme wrote: »
    The photo was just horrible and would go straight to the heart of any dog owner decent person.

^^

....... wrote: »
    ^^

I think thats the reason why the petition has gone viral -Ive seen articles in Newspapers in Mexico and the petition is heading towards 75,000 signatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

He said there was only one other dog in at the same time as Nova.

But Nova's owner had 2 dogs in. Now this dog is three.

That looks like puncture bite marks on the dog in that link which I had commented on previously.

Again, no engagement with the owener.

If you look at Videos of P&E, there are large, sometimes aggressive breeds just running around willy nilly. Some wearing prong collars (which are not recommended due to their cruelty). It looks like a free for all.

Another discussion I have read relates to the sources of the rescue dogs and the lack of home checks, vacinations.

Animal brokering is an issue in this country.

There are a number of serious questions need to be asked of this facility and its ethos and standards.

There is absolutely no defence to the way Nova was presented to her owner and the lack of communication following the event. The photo was just horrible and would go straight to the heart of any dog owner.

Where can someobe view the videos you are describing with prong collars ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Where can someobe view the videos you are describing with prong collars ?

They were on the p&e Facebook page but he has taken it down. Thousands of comments on each post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

This is not a "Facebook witch-hunt" , these are valid problems with this particular kennels.

On top of issue when my pup was there. When i went to collect him a young girl answered the door to the house and asked us which dog was ours. Didn't ask our names, his name etc. We could have picked a random breed and collected someone elses dog.

D3V!L wrote: »
    This is not a "Facebook witch-hunt" , these are valid problems with this particular kennels.

On top of issue when my pup was there. When i went to collect him a young girl answered the door to the house and asked us which dog was ours. Didn't ask our names, his name etc. We could have picked a random breed and collected someone elses dog.

I wonder was an inexperienced person that was left to speak with Nova's owner and look after Nova after he passed away? It sounds loose from what you have described above.

Animals do become ill and pass away and its very unfortunate when it happens under someone else's care but it seems like there was no protocol in place. One would think the first thing an owner would do would be to contact the owner or vet if a animal in their care passed away. Even leave a message to contact urgently so they are informed and prepared :(

If there was a log of times food/medication/ walks given to owner at least she could have taken comfort that he was given meds as required. I understand an animal needing to be sealed in plastic but it could have been done with some sensitivity and dignity for the animal and his owner. If the owner was informed correctly, and if Nova had been placed in a sealed bag with a little blanket over him it would have been more dignified. The poor owner, it is very traumatic when a pet passes away but the way this was dealt with was awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Above and beyond anything else, if your dog becomes unwell or gets injured in kennels - the onus is on the kennel staff to ring the owner and tell them.
    If emergency care is required they deal with the emergency and then contact the owners.

Under no circumstances should any owner be coming back to collect a pet from kennels with no idea that anything has gone wrong.

Above and beyond anything else, if your dog becomes unwell or gets injured in kennels - the onus is on the kennel staff to ring the owner and tell them.
    If emergency care is required they deal with the emergency and then contact the owners.

Under no circumstances should any owner be coming back to collect a pet from kennels with no idea that anything has gone wrong.

Theres a nasty google review of this kennel from two months ago saying that a persons cat sitter quit mid job and the cat was placed there as nowhere else would take it at short notice. 5 days later they collected their cat, sick, no use of his back legs, covered in urine and the cat died after being brought to UCD with the Cullens claiming to know nothing about any issues.

So I believe there have been issues prior to this news story about the husky.

• Advertisement

Nova was also brought to UCD so thats 2 cases they have had on this kennels since Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The Revenue have also every right to analyse the books of P&E and the "rescue".

As of yesterday the "rescue" was appealing for donations on their FB page and no sign of a CHY (charity) number - that is a matter for the Charity Commissioners.
    If they do have a CHY number they are obliged to display it - if they are not registered they shouldn't be asking for donations.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    As of yesterday the "rescue" was appealing for donations on their FB page and no sign of a CHY (charity) number - that is a matter for the Charity Commissioners.
    If they do have a CHY number they are obliged to display it - if they are not registered they shouldn't be asking for donations.

I also noticed the donations were going straight into a named individuals account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I also noticed the donations were going straight into a named individuals account.

People should report him to revenue. It's easy to do.

Looks like their Facebook page is gone and the reviews on google are disturbing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Peterak

P&E put up a statement apologising obviously written by a solicitor not by Mr Cullen or member of their professional family
    Wouldn't answer questions on live line even though he promised he would but knew he'd be questioned but their total lack of compassion to people is deplorable 55000 have made it clear of the pure disregard for all

Peterak wrote: »
    P&E put up a statement apologising obviously written by a solicitor not by Mr Cullen or member of their professional family
    Wouldn't answer questions on live line even though he promised he would but knew he'd be questioned but their total lack of compassion to people is deplorable 55000 have made it clear of the pure disregard for all

Wonder how long he'll leave it there.

On behalf of P&E Boarding Kennels, I wish to offer a sincere personal apology to Kirsten Kinch, the owner of Nova, for the grief she has experienced as a result of Nova's passing in our care. I also wish to apologise for the upset felt in the wider community.

We are a family who love animals and our aim is to take the greatest care of the pets entrusted to us by their owners, which we have being doing for the past 33 years.

In the unfortunate circumstances of Nova's passing, I sincerely believe we took every precaution that we felt necessary to protect all the pets in our care at the time, but now realise in doing so, we neglected to be sensitive and caring to Nova's owner, Kirsten. We are truly sorry for that and apologise for the grief we caused.

We are now doing everything in our power to make sure that this never happens again.

Sincerely
    Paddy Cullen

The statement. What bull****.

On behalf of P&E Boarding Kennels, I wish to offer a sincere personal apology to Kirsten Kinch, the owner of Nova, for the grief she has experienced as a result of Nova's passing in our care. I also wish to apologise for the upset felt in the wider community.

We are a family who love animals and our aim is to take the greatest care of the pets entrusted to us by their owners, which we have being doing for the past 33 years.

In the unfortunate circumstances of Nova's passing, I sincerely believe we took every precaution that we felt necessary to protect all the pets in our care at the time, but now realise in doing so, we neglected to be sensitive and caring to Nova's owner, Kirsten. We are truly sorry for that and apologise for the grief we caused.

We are now doing everything in our power to make sure that this never happens again.

Sincerely
    Paddy Cullen

The statement. What bull****.

We'll do our best to never be caught again.

D3V!L wrote: »
    We'll do our best to never be caught again.

With a bit of luck, they wont get the opportunity.

All rescue dogs to be removed as well.

• Advertisement

Theres a nasty google review of this kennel from two months ago saying that a persons cat sitter quit mid job and the cat was placed there as nowhere else would take it at short notice. 5 days later they collected their cat, sick, no use of his back legs, covered in urine and the cat died after being brought to UCD with the Cullens claiming to know nothing about any issues.

So I believe there have been issues prior to this news story about the husky.

I saw some of the google views, some reviews are good and some are very bad. Very conflicting aren't they?

Looking at the online gallery the cat kennels appear to be clear glass looking onto a what I am assuming is a very busy courtyard that is used for dogs from kennels, walking dogs, cars, vans etc. My cat is skittish and would be very stressed in that sort of set up but I would imagine a lot of cats would find it stressful. but I could be wrong. If they were overlooking a patch of grass, field, or carpark with a bit of distance that would be ok as cats like to be nosey but also feel safe at the same time. Mine sits on the window ledge most of the day but if a dog came too close she gets scared for example

There is only a couple of photos of the cattery but the cat's bed is on the floor, the carrier box and food bowels. I would think they would feel quite vulnerable with no access to ledges that are ''higher'' if there were dogs in the courtyard for example. Mine would be terrified I would think. I can't see where the litter tray is placed either. Cats become quite stressed if they don't have somewhere clean to use the toilet. I am not suggesting any of the above is done intentionally, they are just my observations from the photos I have seen on website

The stories just keep on coming. Jesus the poor animals. 2 people at least have previously reported this Scumbag to the guards.

His number is finally up. I hope he's left penniless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

What I can't get over is the fact that the owner was given no prior warning.

At least if you knew the dog had passed away it wouldn't be so much of a shock, even though you would still feel horrified to find him rolled up in a ball.

Also, the fact that he has refused to engage with them since then has really dug his own grave. He obviously buried his head hoping they would go away. There would be no media storm if he had simply engaged with them before now.

BBFAN wrote: »
    What I can't get over is the fact that the owner was given no prior warning.

At least if you knew the dog had passed away it wouldn't be so much of a shock, even though you would still feel horrified to find him rolled up in a ball.

Also, the fact that he has refused to engage with them since then has really dug his own grave. He obviously buried his head hoping they would go away. There would be no media storm if he had simply engaged with them before now.

In fairness to the lady concerned, she has been impeccable. She did not run to the media or make a big scene immediately. She waited four months, got an autopsy done, got all the facts and gave the kennels owner every chance. She has been far more dignified and restrained than I think I could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

<snip>

Mod note Please don't post stuff about this establishment or its owners unless it's in the public realm and readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Any link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

No and I wouldn't put it up if I did as I am hoping there will be a proper investigation into all this family's business dealings and the running of their businesses. But if you do a bit of searching you should be able to find it yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

No and I wouldn't put it up if I did as I am hoping there will be a proper investigation into all this family's business dealings and the running of their businesses. But if you do a bit of searching you should be able to find it yourself.

With all due respect, by not posting any links, your post has had to be removed because it's moving into the realms of heresay, and as such is just the sort of thing that helps get cases thrown out in court.
    I did a bit of searching and didn't find the info you posted about. If you pm the links to me or one of the other mods, we'll consider reinstating your post.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I saw some of the google views, some reviews are good and some are very bad. Very conflicting aren't they?

They are, and just to play devils advocate, you really dont know who is leaving either the good or the bad reviews. There could be paid reviews or family members leaving them or people out to get revenge etc...

However, its definitely a smoking gun when there are bad reviews and you can follow the name of the person through to a normal FB account that actually has old pics of their pet on FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Anyone who would leave their animal there needs their head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There are too many unregulated kennels and rescues in this Country. I was pleased to see another one called into question and disbanded recently over claims of inadequate governance and funds.

In my opinion they are all unregulated and any regulation is poor.

Regulations should come from somewhere like UCD veterinary hospital or something. And it should be species specific.

You should need several qualifications and experience or at least people on your staff with them etc. One permanent veterinary nurse someone with financial experience etc and perhaps a trainer with experience to head it up.

I am really sorry about your dog op. I don't know what to say.

They are, and just to play devils advocate, you really dont know who is leaving either the good or the bad reviews. There could be paid reviews or family members leaving them or people out to get revenge etc...

However, its definitely a smoking gun when there are bad reviews and you can follow the name of the person through to a normal FB account that actually has old pics of their pet on FB.
    Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Guys, please stop with the speculation. Alie, unless you can prove your claims and accusations regarding planning permission, rescue practices etc. then your comments are defamatory and will need to be deleted shortly. Also as per the forum charter discussion of rescue practices is not permitted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Investigations by the Planning Enforcement Section have revealed that the kennels have been operating at this location well in excess of seven years and would be statute barred from planning enforcement action,’ the council said.

I am on my phone so can’t post links but if you google “p and e improvement”. On May 1st he had an unannounced inspection and was issued with an improvement notice. No planning in place but there so long so nothing can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

In my opinion they are all unregulated and any regulation is poor.

Regulations should come from somewhere like UCD veterinary hospital or something. And it should be species specific.

You should need several qualifications and experience or at least people on your staff with them etc. One permanent veterinary nurse someone with financial experience etc and perhaps a trainer with experience to head it up.

the ucd vet hospital is just that, while input of animal welfare experts should be sought when writing regulations they should not be the ppl doing so. It would only lead to unworkable or conflicting with other regulations.

employing people with "several qualifications" to work in a kennel would push up the cost of kenneling further and possibly shut down several rescues.

Millem wrote: »
    Investigations by the Planning Enforcement Section have revealed that the kennels have been operating at this location well in excess of seven years and would be statute barred from planning enforcement action,’ the council said.

I am on my phone so can’t post links but if you google “p and e improvement”. On May 1st he had an unannounced inspection and was issued with an improvement notice. No planning in place but there so long so nothing can be done.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/rural-economy/farm-management/PlanningRequirementsforFarmBuildingDevelopment.pdf
    the table at the bottom of that document outlines what you're allowed build without permission from an agri side.

it also includes this
    Distance from any house (other than own), school, church, hospital or public building must be at least 100 metres unless consent is obtained in writing from the owner or occupier or person in charge.

ganmo wrote: »
    the ucd vet hospital is just that, while input of animal welfare experts should be sought when writing regulations they should not be the ppl doing so. It would only lead to unworkable or conflicting with other regulations.
    The UCD vet hospital is not the driving force of Animal rights legislation in Ireland.

Nor do rescues answer to them. Imo it would be a good idea.

Smaller rescues are often sub par on an unacceptable level and totally unaware of it. Badly so.

The UCD vet hospital is not the driving force of Animal rights legislation in Ireland.

Smaller rescues are often sub par on an unacceptable level and totally unaware of it. Badly so.

animal rights demands often run opposite to good animal welfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Why would guidelines come from a teaching university veterinary department that deal with referral veterinary cases and emergency surgeries? It is absolutely not in their frame of expertise to advise on any kind of guideline for kennelling or rescues. Diagnoses of a particular disease or complex surgery does not equate to knowledge of rescue needs, or kennelling practices for the average healthy pet. Once a dog isn't sick the UCD veterinary dept is surplus to requirements.

The only body that advises on kennelling is the IBKCA, a self regulatory association. Rescues don't have any such protection but have you any proof that smaller rescues are "often sub par on an unacceptable level"?
    In my anecdotal experience it's when rescues get bigger and more well known that things go downhill. Take that train wreck of a "rescue" in Kerry as an example. Buying thousands of followers on social media, fundraising off the scale with no accounting for where the money is being spent, and an "army" of bullies on social media that shut down any form of questioning of their dubious practices. Rescues go to hell, particularly when the person/persons running them either develop an inflated sense of ego or importance, or like in the case of P&E where it was seen as a source of income. I think what you might be trying to allude to is perhaps a person that rescues a few pets and then ends up in a "hoarding" situation where they don't know how detrimental their situation is. They aren't and never were rescues.

As Ganmo says, to employ a raft of qualified experts for every kennelling facility would ensure the cost would become exorbitant. Or you would have a small amount of facilities that cater for very large numbers so they could afford the qualified, well paid staff. That it turn makes it into a situation where each dog would get scant interaction with humans and be penned into their sanitised, solitary pens probably 24/7. Not the best environment for companion animals that need affection and interaction on a daily basis.

animal rights demands often run opposite to good animal welfare
    I don't think its intentional. The demand etc comes from the media and who has the biggest media platform isn't always the experts.

Its celebs in particular who are to blame for this.

They sucked in by certain animal rights groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/rural-economy/farm-management/PlanningRequirementsforFarmBuildingDevelopment.pdf
    the table at the bottom of that document outlines what you're allowed build without permission from an agri side.

it also includes this

Do you not need permission to run a business?

I don't think its intentional. The demand etc comes from the media and who has the biggest media platform isn't always the experts.

Its celebs in particular who are to blame for this.

They sucked in by certain animal rights groups.

the confusion is intentional, created by animal rights organizations.
    I have pulled up many journalists when they publish articles calling organisations like <snip> animal welfare groups.
    anyway we're getting off topic

Millem wrote: »
    Do you not need permission to run a business?

no you need permission to change the use of a building
    lots of small businesses don't bother applying due to rates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Guys, please stop with the speculation. Alie, unless you can prove your claims and accusations regarding planning permission, rescue practices etc. then your comments are defamatory and will need to be deleted shortly. Also as per the forum charter discussion of rescue practices is not permitted here.

Maybe if more people spoke out , and kept it in the news , theses sort of businesses would not go un noticed as this one did. My comments are true . He has made my friends life a misery.

no you need permission to change the use of a building
    lots of small businesses don't bother applying due to rates etc.

What types of permission do you need? Are they publicly listed as normal?

Sorry for your friend allie

What types of permission do you need? Are they publicly listed as normal?

Sorry for your friend allie

Better to ask in the planning and construction forum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

alie wrote: »
    Maybe if more people spoke out , and kept it in the news , theses sort of businesses would not go un noticed as this one did. My comments are true . He has made my friends life a misery.

Alie, if you're going to discuss such topics, you're going to need to provide bona fide links to published and verifiable media links... Whilst the sentiment of speaking out against injustice is laudable, I'm afraid you can't use boards.ie as your sounding board unless you can provide good links
    Please bear in mind that you can't link to rescue pages.

I think we might understand more if the mods simply said 'Look lads we don't want to get sued its on us if that happens'.

We get it. Don't worry we get it.

We don't want boards to get sued either. We understand we want to be helpful :)

We can stop talking about it on boards its on other pages now etc.

Its not boards taking sides its simply a fact the site could can be sued.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement