Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at P&E Boarding Kennels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Absolutely true about quarantine, and it is very bad practice keeping non-vaccinated “rescues” in proximity to “hotel guests”. I’ve worked in DSPCA kennels and the hotel dogs, general rescue dogs and unwell ones and all kept separately, with known infectious cases being put in isolation, but all given great personal attention.

As regards the no phone call etc, it seems that all this unfortunate business took place as the owner was making her journey home. It’s not clear how many times Cullen tried to contact her, had she got her phone turned on etc. it was necessary to tightly seal the remains, which were leaking blood., but a more respectful outer cover and a sympathetic approach and full explanation would have gone a long way to ameliorate a tragic situation. I think it all hinges on the way the owner was dealt with when she went to collect her pet.

Is this your assertion that the owner of P&E tried to contact the dog owner? Or has he stated that somewhere? If he has by all means link to this information. Because it seems that this situation has only gone public due to the absolute refusal of P&E to communicate with the dogs owner. Her review was removed and no information or even the excuse that the vet had "told" them to do this due to alleged parvo was relayed by anyone at P&E to the owner.

Also did P&E try to contact the lady whos dog they cremated? Because she arrived to collect her dog and didn't even get a body, he was cremated without her permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

If this had happened to my dog, i wouldn't like too be in these guys shoes right now. A scene from the shield tv show comes to mind with some car tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And the masking tape.

Imagine the poor young woman having to cut that open to see the dog.:mad:

Not to be pedantic, but it was packing tape not masking tape.

If this had happened to my dog, i wouldn't like too be in these guys shoes right now. A scene from the shield tv show comes to mind with some car tyres.

:rolleyes: yeah sure. You'd beat them with your keyboard yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not to be pedantic, but it was packing tape not masking tape.

That's exactly what you're being. What difference does it make???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I hope they take the owner to court & sue him for all he has.

Absolutely disgraceful treatment of an innocent animal.
    I got a lump in my throat when I read that the poor thing didn't even have any food in his belly, its bad enough that they neglected the medical care & packaged him up like rubbish, they didn't even fulfill their most basic care requirement of feeding the dogs in their charge.

They were entrusted to care for these much loved pets and instead they showed nothing but indifference & cruelty.
    These people should be prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I see Mr Cullen has responded in various media articles detailing how he is now the recipient of hate mail, death threats, his children threatened and fears he may lose his business.

I do not agree with threats of violence but I surely hope he loses his business.

....... wrote: »
    I see Mr Cullen has responded in various media articles detailing how he is now the recipient of hate mail, death threats, his children threatened and fears he may lose his business.

I do not agree with threats of violence but I surely hope he loses his business.

I don't agree either. The thousands of posts that are all across social media are littered with threats and expletives and the information and other victims are getting lost in it. I have to say, I can't recall much made against his family other than threats to himself as the face of it all.

Although while it's does garner sympathy from a neutral audience that threats are being made to his children, what also seems to be the case is that they are adults and work there too. His son works in the kennels and one of the daughters is an on site groomer. So technically these children are complicit in his misdemeanor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Millem wrote: »
    I think the dogs going to the uk are a different rescue....a legitimate breed specific one.
    The dogs are Irish dogs from pounds etc and they board with him while getting their vaccs etc. This rescue didn’t used to rehome in Ireland but I think it does now. The rescue used to use kennels near the airport but changed when the co ordinator changed.

As for “second chance rescue” I think that is something he started himself....I have no idea.

Whatever happened to the dog....putting in a bag like that and not contacting the owner is not acceptable.

FYI - Second Chance Rescue is in Clare and not associated with Paddy Cullen. He runs Second Chance Pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I hope they take the owner to court & sue him for all he has.

Absolutely disgraceful treatment of an innocent animal.
    I got a lump in my throat when I read that the poor thing didn't even have any food in his belly, its bad enough that they neglected the medical care & packaged him up like rubbish, they didn't even fulfill their most basic care requirement of feeding the dogs in their charge.

They were entrusted to care for these much loved pets and instead they showed nothing but indifference & cruelty.
    These people should be prosecuted.

Maybe the dog was so sick he wouldnt eat.

You are making up an awful lot of unsubstantiated allegations in your post.

Have you plenty of money to pay for legal fees should you be sued.

tretorn wrote: »

Everything the user posted has been substantiated by media reports.

Yet you come here to make a dig. You should be ashamed of yourself. The victims here are the pets and families whose pets have been abused or died. Not the business owner in whose care they were.

Shameful of you. Truly shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don't know why the dog died or whether the other claims of mistreatment are true or not, but the treatment of the body and owner is surely proof that these people are, at the very least, in the wrong line of business.

You're making a lot of assumptions too.

If the dog was "so sick he wouldn't eat", it's best practice to attend a vet. If the dog was dangerously ill, an out of hours veterinary service could have been used. It's a professional kennel set up, these procedures are standard practice.

If and it's a big "If" the owner decided to sue, who to choose? There's thousands of posts that are absolutely disgusted at this situation stating the same thing. And also, it would be shining a spotlight onto his alleged other "rescue" practices that I'm sure he'd much rather was kept under wraps.

No vet saw the dog until the owner brought the "package" to her own vet.

You're making a lot of assumptions too.

If the dog was "so sick he wouldn't eat", it's best practice to attend a vet. If the dog was dangerously ill, an out of hours veterinary service could have been used. It's a professional kennel set up, these procedures are standard practice.

If and it's a big "If" the owner decided to sue, who to choose? There's thousands of posts that are absolutely disgusted at this situation stating the same thing. And also, it would be shining a spotlight onto his alleged other "rescue" practices that I'm sure he'd much rather was kept under wraps.

No vet saw the dog until the owner brought the "package" to her own vet.

Really, every dog owner runs to the vet with their credit card if the dog refuses to eat.

Dog kennels are probably like creches and nursing homes, you pay your money and your relative or dog or cat or whatever is one of a large number there. The food will be put down in front of whoever is meant to eat it and the the plates are collected, if you want to eat eat and if you dont your be dog sat or child minded or old person sat in a chair and no one will give a hoot.

Really, every dog owner runs to the vet with their credit card if the dog refuses to eat.

Dog kennels are probably like creches and nursing homes, you pay your money and your relative or dog or cat or whatever is one of a large number there. The food will be put down in front of whoever is meant to eat it and the the plates are collected, if you want to eat eat and if you dont your be dog sat or child minded or old person sat in a chair and no one will give a hoot.

Christ, such ignorance.

So which is it? A dog that is too sick to eat, or an over reacting owner? You're flipping all over the place here.

Dog kennels are probably like creches and nursing homes, you pay your money and your relative or dog or cat or whatever is one of a large number there. The food will be put down in front of whoever is meant to eat it and the the plates are collected, if you want to eat eat and if you dont you will be dog sat or child minded or old person sat in a chair and no one will give a hoot.
    Full of assumptions again as to what can happen in kennels. Or that everyone who works in the industry is as lacking in empathy as the owners of this one appear to be.

The dog was supplied with medication. Written and oral instructions, medication twice a day. The kennels clearly ignored the instructions and medication as it was not present in the dogs system in the autopsy results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Why is it only coming out now when this happened over Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Yeah I will, as I will know he is out of character so if he is not eating something is wrong I need to get checked out.
    And I have also, a couple of hours could be life threatening as you don't know how long something has being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

That's not the way nursing homes work, and thank ****ing god, because if you were running them I'd despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Millem wrote:
    Why is it only coming out now when this happened over Christmas?

The owner finally got sick of Cullen's refusal to even engage with her and went public.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

The woman who dropped her dog in and it was supposedly cremated and everything before she got home. Where is that dog? Did it escape ? Was it sold ? I don't believe for a second they paid for cremation.

• Advertisement

Abba987 wrote: »
    I don't believe for a second they paid for cremation.

This what I find hard to believe! I can’t remember the extact figure but I paid a few hundred euro for getting my dog pts and cremated. As if the kennels would pay that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

This what I find hard to believe! I can’t remember the extact figure but I paid a few hundred euro for getting my dog pts and cremated. As if the kennels would pay that!!!

They must of really wanted to cover up what happened to the dog then if it is true

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It only cost hundreds if you want the ashes back. I worked in a vets briefly years ago and it cost €30 for them to dispose of a body for you. That would have been a group cremation.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    They must of really wanted to cover up what happened to the dog then if it is true

Who knows?

Probably billed the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

With all the coverage would the DSPCA get involved or how does that work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If she was that sick that she wouldn't eat, she should have been immediately brought to the vets & her owners informed.

Not one claim I made was unsubstantiated, they didn't give Nova her medicine, they didn't ensure she had eaten (for whatever reason, be it outright neglect or mere indifference) and they packaged her up like a piece of rubbish after she died.

They showed absolutely no love, care or compassion to an innocent animal whose owners had paid them good money to look after.

The fact that you are defending the owner after his company's disgraceful, abusive treatment speaks volumes, but I'm not in the least bit surprised.

The failed in their duty of care and Nova's owners absolutely should be compensated for that. Hit him where it hurts - in the finances.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If he was that sick that she wouldn't eat, she should have been immediately brought to the vets & her owners informed.

Not one claim I made was unsubstantiated, they didn't give Nova her medicine, they didn't ensure she had eaten (for whatever reason, be it outright neglect or mere indifference) and they packaged her up like a piece of rubbish after she died.

They showed absolutely no love, care or compassion to an innocent animal whose owners had paid them good money to look after.

The fact that you are defending the owner after his company's disgraceful, abusive treatment speaks volumes, but I'm not in the least bit surprised.

The failed in their duty of care and Nova's owners absolutely should be compensated for that. Hit him where it hurts - in the finances.

Yes, your last line is probably where this is going alright.

Sue and shut the kennels down because they dont show love to your dog, what are you going to do then when you want to go on holiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sue and shut the kennels down because they dont show love to your dog, what are you going to do then when you want to go on holiers.

Any business that has such a terrible attitude to its customers probably shouldn't be in business

I'm not making any judgement on how the dog died but the way the owner was informed and treated on arrival was disgusting and the lack of engagement has just brought this on himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Not put your dog in P&E Kennels.....whether shut or not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement