Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Cavill looked very healthy, and just how you'd expect Superman to look, buff as ****.

I hate Buff Superman. How's he keeping that physique? Reeves look for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Superman should be the one hero that looks mega buff, he's an almost invincible alien.

I imagine a lot of working out, it's probably a hobby for him, similar to the Rock.
    Plus for the super ripped topless shots, there's probably a bit of dehydration going on to make him pop a bit more, plus a few push ups etc just before the camera rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Reeves trained with David Prowse and put on 20kg to play Superman. He was plenty buff by the standards of the time.

The suns radiation is meant to have the growth effect on him. In one alternate comic where he was kept away from the sun he was skinny and frail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, unhealthy or not – I didn't like the aesthetic.

Superman doesn't need to look buff. He's Superman. He was lifting cars and outrunning trains as a toddler. Actual muscles have nothing to do with it.

Batman is a human and relies on gadgets, tech, stealth, and brain power. Not a lumbering bruiser. The uber-muscle look just reminds me that none of this is real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, Zack Synder (and I think Geoff Johns too) are obsessed with the "New God's" trope that often threads through superhero stories, particularly DC given it has actual gods in its universe. Wasn't hard to spot given the number of laboured Christ imagery used in Man of Steel and BvS. Mixed with a little bit of the ubermensch mentality more noticeable in BvS and I think it's no wonder the DCverse has had an exaggerated physicality. Its creators love the notion of heroes as hypermasculine physical specimens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Goodshape wrote: »
    Well, unhealthy or not – I didn't like the aesthetic.

Superman doesn't need to look buff. He's Superman. He was lifting cars and outrunning trains as a toddler. Actual muscles have nothing to do with it.

Batman is a human and relies on gadgets, tech, stealth, and brain power. Not a lumbering bruiser. The uber-muscle look just reminds me that none of this is real.

To be fair, there was a clamour amongst the dedicated fan base to get more comic book faithful renditions of their superheroes once Nolan finished his trilogy and WB were moving forward with their shared universe. That's probably one of the reasons Snyder was put at the helm of it all; if nothing else they thought he'd bring the fans' imaginations to life. Check out some of the renditions of the characters on paper and they're absolutely absurd.

Affleck, Cavill and even Momoa probably felt that pressure and I doubt they actually enjoyed the day to day toil of it (well perhaps the exception is Cavill). Using hindsight I'm sure most of the fans will be happy with a good film and a somewhat faithful adaptation.

To be fair, there was a clamour amongst the dedicated fan base to get more comic book faithful renditions of their superheroes once Nolan finished his trilogy and WB were moving forward with their shared universe. That's probably one of the reasons Snyder was put at the helm of it all; if nothing else they thought he'd bring the fans' imaginations to life. Check out some of the renditions of the characters on paper and they're absolutely absurd.

Affleck, Cavill and even Momoa probably felt that pressure and I doubt they actually enjoyed the day to day toil of it (well perhaps the exception is Cavill). Using hindsight I'm sure most of the fans will be happy with a good film and a somewhat faithful adaptation.
    To be fair, Cavill and Momoa are generally in great shape anyway, so doubt it was as much strain on them as, say, Affleck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So, he's not going to work out?
    at least affkeck and Bale worked out...

large_thumb.jpg?c=1464109080

Eddie Redmayne interested in playing Riddler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Jeffrey Wright in talks to play Commissioner Gordon. Jonah Hill rumoured for the penguin role

Weary of rumours, but this all sounds like pretty good casting so far.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Jeffrey Wright in talks to play Commissioner Gordon. Jonah Hill rumoured for the penguin role

Hill could be decent in that role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,889 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jonah Hill now in talks to play the Riddler.

‘The Batman': Jonah Hill in Talks to Play Riddler
    Jonah Hill is in negotiations to play the Riddler in Matt Reeves’ “The Batman,” an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

Robert Pattinson is set to star as the Dark Knight. Reeves took over the directing gig after Ben Affleck stepped away from the role. Affleck was also expected to play Batman again but then said he would be hanging up the cape for good. Reeves has since described the film as a “defining” and “very personal” story about the Dark Knight, rather than an origin story in the vein of Frank Miller’s beloved “Year One” series.

For months now, reports have said Hill was the frontrunner to play the antagonist the Penguin

https://www.thewrap.com/the-batman-jonah-hill-in-talks-to-play-riddler/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Sounds like this will be a good film. Always love a good Batman movie but the 1989 one will always bring back the fondest memories for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

we've been hearing about this movie for so long and they are still casting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cotts72 wrote: »

Saw that. I think Jeffrey Wright is a great choice as Gordon. nice gravitas to the man. Great actor.

I like Jonah Hill too and like his dramatic work (Especially Moneyball).

But do we really need another reboot? What is this, Spiderman? I have no problem with them making new movies. For me, it will always be Nolan's Trilogy and The Animated Series but I have no problem with them continuing the movies and thing Patterson is a fine choice.

But come on, The Penguin again? There are more characters out there than The Penguin, The Joker, Harvey Dent and Celina Kyle. Sure, they might be the most well known but let's be honest, the film will not have the expectation of the Nolan Trilogy (Rightly or wrongly) so why not use different characters, more risky characters.

Even if you do want to use more well known characters, depending on your tone, you could do interesting things with The Riddler character (Think Spacey's John Doe in Seven).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Saw that. I think Jeffrey Wright is a great choice as Gordon. nice gravitas to the man. Great actor.

I like Jonah Hill too and like his dramatic work (Especially Moneyball).

But do we really need another reboot? What is this, Spiderman? I have no problem with them making new movies. For me, it will always be Nolan's Trilogy and The Animated Series but I have no problem with them continuing the movies and thing Patterson is a fine choice.

But come on, The Penguin again? There are more characters out there than The Penguin, The Joker, Harvey Dent and Celina Kyle. Sure, they might be the most well known but let's be honest, the film will not have the expectation of the Nolan Trilogy (Rightly or wrongly) so why not use different characters, more risky characters.

Even if you do want to use more well known characters, depending on your tone, you could do interesting things with The Riddler character (Think Spacey's John Doe in Seven).

They really led themselves down a dead end with the recent approach of an older Batman - not much room for manoeuvre after that.

This will be separate canon to the DCEU by all accounts, and will be borrowing from The Long Halloween apparently - so will more than likely feature an array of the classic villains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

kdevitt wrote: »
    They really led themselves down a dead end with the recent approach of an older Batman - not much room for manoeuvre after that.

This will be separate canon to the DCEU by all accounts, and will be borrowing from The Long Halloween apparently - so will more than likely feature an array of the classic villains.

I'm always wary when movies (Usually sequels) bring in multiple bad guys. It always makes them unfocused.

The last couple of the first Batman movies (the ones starting with Burton's movie): Bane, Mr. freeze, Poison Ivy and The Riddler & Two Face. Now I know these had FAR more problems than multiple enemies but it didn't help.

Sam Raimi's Spiderman 3: Sandman, Venom, Green Goblin 2

Even The Dark Knight Rises was the weakest given you had Bane, Talia, cameo from Scarecrow.

Sure, you had The Joker and Two-Face in The Dark Knight but Two-Face was more of a tragic hero in this rather than an out-and-out baddie.

I mean... I am kind of interested in this: Matt Reeves is a decent director if not the most exciting. Patterson is a good choice as Batman. Wright is a VERY good choice as Gordon and Hill is also a fine dramatic actor. Put it this way: It ain't Justice League.......

Have we seen much of Penguin in the movies since Batman Returns though? Or The Riddler since Batman Forever.

Doesn't feel like they've been overdone anyway. Yet-another-Joker might be pushing it but can't see that happening, unless they work in a connection with this new Joker stand alone film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I wouldn't say The Riddler or Penguin are overdone; they've been on the big screen once and that was 25 years ago at this stage. Certainly the portrayals were pretty noteworthy, with DeVito's penguin a macabre monster, while Jim Carrey was at the heigh of his powers playing the Riddler - but there's a clear stretch of runway for some new interpretations.

I quite liked the "Arkham" series' version of Penguin, the crimeboss hobbling around, his monocle a broken bottle lodged in his skull. It was a bit ludicrous looking but very striking.

• Advertisement

I did like Riddler and Penguin on the tv show Gotham but yes they have not featured much in films unlike Joker

I'd love to see the ventriloquist in a real world setting film against Bats. There's so many bad guys in the batverse that it's a bit of a shame they always fall on the regulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,894 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is this part of the DCEU and Ben Afflecks batman just disappeared and a new bruce Wayne showed up

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is this part of the DCEU and Ben Afflecks batman just disappeared and a new bruce Wayne showed up

Separate for now. If Pattinson does well I imagine they'll pull some multi-earths trick to get him in a film with Gadot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Separate for now. If Pattinson does well I imagine they'll pull some multi-earths trick to get him in a film with Gadot.

Yes....some form of......flashpoint paradox.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think WB are going to do a version of flashpoint in WW84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Maybe jonah hill will be announced soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I'm really not that interested in seeing the Catwoman character at all. Kravitz doesn't appeal to me as an actress. This is a downer for me

• Advertisement

Interesting way to make it up to someone who felt she the victim of racism when refused a chance to audition for TDKR.

She's decent in the films I've seen her in but I was hoping for something more spectacular. Then again based on the shortlist I've seen shared previously, of which Kravitz was on, she's probably the best of the lot.

Edit stole from elsewhere:

Did Readings:
    ana de armas
    eiza gonzalez
    ella balinska

Rumored about Week Ago:
    zazie beetz (booked elsewhere but seriously considered)
    tessa thompson
    lupita nyong'o
    logan browning
    alexandra shipp
    Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Those who actually read is probably the actual shortlist - the rumoured list sounds like pie in the sky stuff though I would been delighted if GMR was cast.

Interesting way to make it up to someone who felt she the victim of racism when refused a chance to audition for TDKR.

She's decent in the films I've seen her in but I was hoping for something more spectacular. Then again based on the shortlist I've seen shared previously, of which Kravitz was on, she's probably the best of the lot.

Edit stole from elsewhere:

Did Readings:
    ana de armas
    eiza gonzalez
    ella balinska

Rumored about Week Ago:
    zazie beetz (booked elsewhere but seriously considered)
    tessa thompson
    lupita nyong'o
    logan browning
    alexandra shipp
    Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Those who actually read is probably the actual shortlist - the rumoured list sounds like pie in the sky stuff though I would been delighted if GMR was cast.

Zazie Beetz (Joker and Deadpool 2) if she was Selina Kyle/Catwoman too might be a tad confusing

Zoe Kravitz is Catwoman in Lego Batman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

IRL, she is 'Aquaman's' stepdaughter. :D

Catwoman seems to be a difficult one to get right.

Seems to wobble between:

Love interest.
    Villain.
    Anti-hero.
    Hero.
    Basically a female/feminist Batman.

Hope they can strike a good balance this time. Feel like Batman Returns still sets the bar for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,065 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So we have Mr Sparkles as Batman and now we have a new love interest for him.

This is definitely going to be more twilight than TDKR.

No, we have indie actor Robert Pattinson, whose CV in the last 10 years has involved some varied, complex characters, perfect for Batman that often plays on the duality of Wayne's existence.

This is also the third appearance of Catwoman, and the films managed to do OK without going "Twilight"

Did Zoe and Rob act together before or maybe was it dated?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

No matter what Robert Pattinson does, he'll always have the tag of "That guy from Twilight" hanging over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I'm really not that interested in seeing the Catwoman character at all. Kravitz doesn't appeal to me as an actress. This is a downer for me

Not interested in Catwomen either and not a fan of hers.
    But who am I kidding , I am going to watch this and any other batman related movies/tv shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

Kravitz is good in Big Little Lies. Happy enough with the choice.

I think by now, the Batman film series has had enough surprise casting choices that worked out well, that we should give anyone the benefit of the doubt; Pattinson & Kravitz are both young, talented actors with a plethora of meaty roles to know that - if the script is good - this could be a good one.

In light of Joker showing there's an appetite for something beyond big splashy thrills, here's hoping DC give Reeves et al some latitude to make the film they want. They probably won't, 'cos Batman sells toys, but we can dream.

Can't see Seth Rogan in this. I think Hill was meant to fill the esteemed Oscar nominated/winner quota so they must be looking at more actors that fit that mould.

They need some big, respected names, to pad out the rogues gallery. Funnily enough I'd love to see Jake Gyllenhaal as the Riddler. I don't think MCU will need him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Crispin Glover would be a good riddler.

Can't see Seth Rogan in this. I think Hill was meant to fill the esteemed Oscar nominated/winner quota so they must be looking at more actors that fit that mould.

They need some big, respected names, to pad out the rogues gallery. Funnily enough I'd love to see Jake Gyllenhaal as the Riddler. I don't think MCU will need him again.
    Jesse Eisenberg would have been a good Riddler, if they hadn't cast him as Lex already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

brevity wrote: »
    Crispin Glover would be a good riddler.

Bit too unreliable.
    Jesse Eisenberg would have been a good Riddler, if they hadn't cast him as Lex already.

He was terrible as Lex, why would he be good as the Riddler?

Effects wrote: »
    Bit too unreliable.

He was terrible as Lex, why would he be good as the Riddler?
    He's the wrong kind of actor to play Lex, but would suit Riddler quite well, with his little quirks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

I think he would just remind me of Mark Zuckerberg.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

brevity wrote: »
    I think he would just remind me of Mark Zuckerberg.

I think that's what they were going for with casting him as Lex in the first place. Wasn't a bad idea imo but Eisenberg made a mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Josh Gad for penguin, Jk... :)
    Having just watched El Camino, I'm thinking Jesse Plemons would make a good penguin.
    And before anyone points it out, I'm fully aware that I make terrible casting choices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement