Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But who will look after you when you're old?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Doingitall wrote: »
    Important to note that if u have kids don't assume they'll care for u. I'm in a situation where I work full time away from home, the youngest of 7 kids, middle aged and "live" in same house as my elderly disabled parents. When one of my parents became ill I was asked would i move in. I had no children of my own (still don't) so I said yes. My siblings now use that as an excuse for me being the primary carer, organising and bringing to all medical appointments, shopping , home making etc. Also the hse seem to assume just because I have no dependents of my own and sleep in the family home that I should bear all of the caring. One parent has hse provided home help, the other doesn't ( because I'm in the house). There's a disconnect between what "family" think their responsibilities are and what actually happens. In 90% of cases it's the youngest sibling left to deal with everything and if they don't have their own children it's assumed their life is not as important as those who have.Also the hse seem to assume that if u sleep in the same house as an elderly person you're available 24/7. Which is not the case. My point of the post... Don't assume that children will look afyer the elderly equally. And dont rely on anyone but yourself.

You're in a bad situation. If you cannot move out, ensure that you inherit the house once your parents pass on. You can be sure your uninvolved siblings believe they have full rights to 'their share' and at best you'll get a proportionate amount. I'd strongly recommend getting a will done now, while your parents are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

What about kids with special needs? Who's going to look after them when their parents die?

I'm not worried about who will look after me tbh. Personally I'd prefer a stranger wiping my butt than a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I find a lot of the reactions to this thread very unusual. Myself and my siblings will split the care for my parents when they get elderly. Probably not evenly as they are a bit useless, but a nursing home will be the absolute final option.

Everyone I've had the conversation with is planning on living nearby to elderly parents or have had conversations with their partners about how they'll split time between both sets of parents when it happens etc etc.

There is no guarantee your children will look after you but are there actually children on this thread who are planning on putting their parents in a home and not visiting at the first sign of issues? (Other than cases where they have a very bad relationship with their parents)

I think the vast majority of people will at the very least visit their parents, make sure they're healthy as possible, being them to doctors appointments etc

Perhaps most of the responders are of an age where they haven't seen the care needed when someone hits 80 (or whatever age their body stops working)? I dont mean that condescendingly, I just cant understand why people think they'll be self sufficient with bowel cancer or dementia.

I am child free and I'm quite worried about having nobody in my corner if I'm incapacitated. There's no amount of money you can earn that can protect you if you've no control over your faculties.

Its absolutely not a reason to have children but it's a definite downside of not having them.

Theres a decent age gap between me and my youngest sibling so they're probably my best best if things go very awry. And the hope that assisted suicide will be a thing by then too.

I wouldn't want any member of my family to look after me when I'm old.

I'm fact, if I get sick now, mid 40s, I would literally hate for any member of my family to care for me. Visit me, read to me, chat with me yes, but not look after me. I would find it humiliating. I have seen friends look after parents and the things they have to do are terrible, embarrassing for parent and child. No, absolutely not for me.

Paid staff can do the caring, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

But caring is more than dealing with the hygiene aspect.

Its visiting and spending time with, seeing changes in demeanour or injuries and raising it with the caring staff, advocating with doctors when medication isnt effective...the list goes on and on.

Children may not do any of the hygiene stuff but they're very likely to do the latter.

• Advertisement

Yep, visit me, don't care for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who do you think will organise the paid staff?

Who will manage your financial affairs, and submit the Fair Deal (or whatever its called then) application?

I've been watching this thread because the underlying question is important for anyone who is childless, whether by choice or not. Responses so far are disappointing.

I will. Obviously. I have a solicitor and I can have all arrangements made before time. Its not difficult.

My uncle is unfortunately in a nursing home suffering with dementia, he has a solicitor looking after all his affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Emma2019 wrote:

There is no guarantee your children will look after you but are there actually children on this thread who are planning on putting their parents in a home and not visiting at the first sign of issues? (Other than cases where they have a very bad relationship with their parents)

I'm not saying definitely, but I'm also not saying "never". I saw my own parents caring for theirs. One grandmother came to live in our house, in a self-contained granny flat. In hindsight it was a nice experience for all involved to have her in the house, but even so she reached a point where her needs became too much to be managed - for everyone's sake - and she was moved to a nursing home. It was local, she still got to see her family on a daily basis, but she had her needs met by qualified professionals in an appropriate setting, rather than as a dependent in a queue of dependents in a busy household.

One grandfather by comparison became very difficult in later years as Parkinsons-based dementia kicked in very strongly. His obstinance and resistance to help only became worse over time, not helped by the fact that some of his children insisted that he was fine in his own home, that they could care for him by dropping down every day.

Ultimately the last few months of his life were underscored with chaos and frequent urgent runs to his house (or other places) to deal with what new madness he had done now, or what injury had happened to him.

I wouldn't want my kids to have to deal with that, and I know that our parents wouldn't want it for us either.

So I'm not saying that I have plans to use a home at the first sign of trouble, but I'm also being pragmatic and acknowledging that the time may come.

Edit: On the topic of the forum, I would indeed strongly advise anyone who is childless to have a plan in place by the time you're in your late 50s/early 60s. You will likely have friends and family that you can rely on, but things can change as you approach the twilight years and suddenly everyone who knows what you want to do, may be gone or otherwise unavailable. Typically you will appoint a solicitor or someone who is not a beneficiary from your estate, to have power of attorney. Unfortunately this is not something you can pre-arrange to kick in at a specific time, but you can have the arrangements drawn up and understood to make them easier to implement when the time comes.

Post edited by seamus on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd probably advise that no matter who you are. I'm from a big enough family, my parents are from big enough families, and 3 of my grandparents lived until I was well into my 20s and 30s, and an elderly aunt. The care situations varied drastically, and it was really difficult. Thankfully no major rows occurred, but for one set of grandparents, the majority of the burden fell on an aunt who was still living in the family home. For the third grandparent who only died 3 years ago, she did end up in a nursing home for the last year of her life. She didn't like it, they hated putting her there, but she chose there over full time care in her own house. She was 97, fully compos mentis and quite active but just couldn't live on her own anymore, her body was failing her. Two of the siblings carried most of the burden there, with a third helping less (due to distance) and the 4th not helping much at all.

Kids or no kids, I would say there is no harm having arrangements in place for yourself as you age, because once things go downhill, it can get very difficult quickly.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Who exactly will know that you have a solicitor and how to contact them?

Does your solicitor ring you every few weeks to see how you are getting on or, like every other solicitor in the world, have they forgotten about you until you or someone else contacts them about your/your estate?

Likely the first the solicitor will know is when someone contacts them to tell them you are dead or their invoice to you remains unpaid.

Because I keep records and documents filed correctly, I have siblings and nephews.And nieces who will all be able to find everything that is needed should I die.

If I am alive and find I need to go into nursing home care or need a carer, then I will contact my solicitor myself.

I'm not sure what chatting to my solicitor on the phone regularly has To do with anything😂

it's really not hard To be organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interested read on regret; one thing regretted, is the decision to have children. They won't take care of you when you get old.

https://saraburdick.medium.com/what-do-most-people-regret-at-the-end-of-their-life-4b92eac8e6cd

When it's 9pm on Saturday evening, the carer who was due at 7pm hasn't turned up, and there's a real likelihood that you're going to be left to sit in your own excrement at least overnight, possibly until Monday or longer - who are you going to call?

Do you really expect other people's kids to step up to managing your caregivers?

Well I wouldn't expect my own children to do it, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you have children? Do you expect them to come around and clean up your excrement when you are old?

If you're at a point where you are in fear of potentially lying in your own waste all night, it might be time to sell up and move in to a care home.

There are some lovely 'independent living' retirement villages around now. Your own house and freedoms but also on call nurses, personal alarms can be worn around the neck in case of a fall etc.

I think if you live an independent life you're not gonna turn round at 80 and want people taking over. I don't want anyone's kids looking after me, unless they are employed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Deeec

You are assuming that your brothers and sisters will still be alive or still have capacity themselves to deal with your care. You are assuming that your nieces and nephews will still be living close to you and will be able to access everything . None of them may be around or want to deal with this - they may run a mile. You are assuming you will have the capacity ( dementia is a bugger you know) to realise when you need to go to a home yourself ( this may not be the case). You are assuming you will always be able to keep your financial affairs neat and tidy. All these assumptions may be wrong.

In the last year I have been in this position for my uncle who has dementia who went into a care home. I had to do all the work to get his fair deal scheme approved - absolute nightmare process from start to finish ( its even not finished yet). I have to buy his clothes, engage with home constantly to make sure his care needs are met ( which is essential let me tell you or his needs are not met - someone had to advocate for him). I have to pay for certain medications for him not covered otherwise. I have to pay his house insurance and upkeep of his home personally as he cant do this stuff for himself. It would be so much easier if I was his daughter though- as his niece Im irrelevent.

You have to remember you wont always be the person you are now.

I’m an only child, no kids, and third youngest (only by a year or two) in my extended family, so will likely be relying on professional carers to some extent. For social purposes I keep friendly with the younger generation of family, among them some exceptionally nice people who are the type to pay visits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

As soon as you start **** the couch its off to the nursing home.

Kids or no kids!

My uncle is also in a nursing home, suffering from dementia.

He did his own organising. His solicitor now deals with his affairs for him.

He has plenty of family around, but yet didn't need anyone to deal with his affairs. He did it himself.

I'm not assuming any of my family or friends will do anything, I intend to be entirely self sufficient, as I am now.

I'm not sure why having my own kids would make any difference? I wouldn't want them looking after me. In the same way if something were to happen to me next week, and I get sick, I don't want my family looking after me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The idea of a retirement village is exactly what I would want. I've even given some thought to developing an actual business plan around designing one because I think it has so much potential for all people, regardless of children, as they get older.

Imagine a campus where you can live in your own home that's designed to ensure it can remain your home regardless of mobility or health issues, surrounded by other people in similar age brackets, with on-site facilities like a community centre type place, maybe a cafe/pub, entertainment options, but also a health centre and on-site healthcare staff. If the vibe was right, I'd want to move somewhere like that the moment I had any doubts about the viability of my current living situation due to age and failing health. If you have kids, they can visit easily but they're not burdened with your care or worrying about you overnight etc. If you don't have children, or you family are dead/estranged/useless, you can live surrounded by friends and neighbours who can keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

+1 for Faith's retirement village, sign me up (in about 40 years!)

Neither would I.

But your children are the best placed to be phoning the care co-ordinator and making sure someone is sent.

And when the care coordinator doesn't have enough staff, the patient who is most likely to miss out is the one who doesn't have strong advocates.

Many people have had that business idea. Most fail, because when it comes to it, no one actually wants to pay enough to move in.

Jaysus you're really stretching

But your children are the best placed to be phoning the care co-ordinator and making sure someone is sent.

So in your scenario, I would have the ability to alert my kids but not have the ability to alert the care coordinator myself?

That's some very selective hurdles you are setting up to justify a single scenario where nobody in the world is useful but a child is, purely because of their blood relation to you

Bizarre logic I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Deeec

Your uncle may have set up legal structures for should he be unable to look after his financial affairs - thats standard stuff. However someone still has to provide the information to the solicitor and someone still has to liaise with the solicitor on your behalf because if you have dementia you cant do this ( you are in your own world ). Your solicitor wont have keys to your house to gather your financial info, your solicitor wont be checking in with you every week to make sure you are not losing your marbles. Also a solicitor will not be calling the nursing home every day to make sure you a being looked after. I dont think a solicitor will go out and buy you underpants and a new jumper when you need them either.

You very much still need someone else to care for you and look out for you - no solicitor will do this they just deal with the legal stuff. Very few children completely abandon their elderly parents. Fact is if you have kids you have someone to look out for you. If I was in your position I would select your chosen person and talk to them about what your wishes are should you become incapacitated - also give them the opportunity to say no and dont hold it against them - they may have to care for their own parents/ inlaws and may have enough on their plate. Im not trying to be annoying Im just pointing out the realities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Having children isn't a magic solution to that.

They could pre-decease you, be incapacitated themselves, living on the other side of the world, or no longer talking to you.

Then you're still left sitting in your own sh1t, having spent years mopping up theirs too. No thanks.

Advertisement