Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Is there any issues with buying a uk reg car from Ireland if the seller has the full v5 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭User1998

You’ll have no proof as to when the car entered the country so you’ll have to pay late penalties, unless the seller has shipping details. Thats the only issue

Also a lot of uk cars being sold privately are crashed so make sure to do a history check

User1998 wrote: »
    You’ll have no proof as to when the car entered the country so you’ll have to pay late penalties, unless the seller has shipping details. Thats the only issue

Also a lot of uk cars being sold privately are crashed so make sure to do a history check

If I were to book a ferry for the “date of sale” would this count as proof? Or what if I were to say it came from up north?

Yes the Northern Ireland option is better

Grand, hopefully the car is as clean as he says and it has the full v5! Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Grand, hopefully the car is as clean as he says and it has the full v5! Thanks for the help

You have no idea if the person has already tried to VRT it and failed to complete. If this was done, the VRT will run from the earlier date including penalties. We’ve seen it before on here.

Thats true Marcus I never thought of that one. If the car still has UK car tax or the tax only expired recently you shouldn’t pay any late fees. If you have no proof of entry into the state you pay late fees from the date the tax ran out in the uk. Could be different if the car has already been to a vrt app

Edit: Its either from the date it was taxed or the date the tax ran out but I’m almost certain its the latter

Marcusm wrote: »
    You have no idea if the person has already tried to VRT it and failed to complete. If this was done, the VRT will run from the earlier date including penalties. We’ve seen it before on here.

Is there any way of checking this? From checking the gov.uk site it says it’s not marked for export and last changed hands in may 2019. Tax just out but seller says he’ll put tax on it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there any issues with buying a uk reg car from Ireland if the seller has the full v5 etc?

It’s technically illegal to sell a non VRTd car here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

Is there any way of checking this? From checking the gov.uk site it says it’s not marked for export and last changed hands in may 2019. Tax just out but seller says he’ll put tax on it

Don't rely on that check - none of the vehicles I have imported over the last few years show up as being marked as exported.

• Advertisement

wassie wrote: »
    Don't rely on that check - none of the vehicles I have imported over the last few years show up as being marked as exported.

Fair enough, I didn’t think it would be up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Hi all,

Just checking in to see what the changes have been since the UK left. Is it still just bring the car in and VRT it asap? Calcultae the cost using the VRT calculator at Revenue? MOT disc can't be exchanged for NCT? No import taxes on top yet? What's changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi all,

Just checking in to see what the changes have been since the UK left. Is it still just bring the car in and VRT it asap? Calcultae the cost using the VRT calculator at Revenue? MOT disc can't be exchanged for NCT? No import taxes on top yet? What's changed?

Nothing has changed at the moment due to BREXIT, it wont till the transition period expires (end of the year, hopefully)
    What has changed from 1 Jan 2020 is the addition NOX tax with the new VRT (1%drop) rate

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nothing actually changed for now.

New Nox tax introduced so do your homework on that. Affects diesels over 5 years old the most.

NCT for MOT still ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

With regards to car insurance on imported car and still having my current car around until I sell,

Do I just get temporary insurance on my imported car and then change over my insurance properly when I sell my old car?

or

Transport over insurance to my new car. My insurance will covers driving other peoples cars with their permission so I can continue to drive my old car when test driving it with a potential buyer (or is this just if the car is owned by someone else with insurance)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

This won't work if the car has a UK reg as opposed to a NI reg..

michellie wrote: »
    This won't work if the car has a UK reg as opposed to a NI reg..

Worked for me a few times. NI dealers mostly only sell UK reg cars anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With regards to car insurance on imported car and still having my current car around until I sell,

Do I just get temporary insurance on my imported car and then change over my insurance properly when I sell my old car?

or

Transport over insurance to my new car. My insurance will covers driving other peoples cars with their permission so I can continue to drive my old car when test driving it with a potential buyer (or is this just if the car is owned by someone else with insurance)?

You can only use your NCB on one car at a time. So you either insure your new car and have no cover on your old car or vice versa.

Also the driving of other cars does not apply to other cars that are owned by you. You will not be insured to drive your old car using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 driver83

HI. Anyone know how to register car without V5C and is mark as "permanently exported" with DVLA. Maybe how to get V5C from UK ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

driver83 wrote: »
    HI. Anyone know how to register car without V5C and is mark as "permanently exported" with DVLA. Maybe how to get V5C from UK ???

Can't be done AFAIK. Been asked plenty of times on this thread.

As for getting the V5C from UK, your going to need to provide more backround details as to why you don't have/can't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's already been discussed in this thread a few pages back.

It's simple. Don't buy a UK car unless the dealer/seller gives you the full V5C logbook with it. Your just setting yourself up for a world of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Hi all, So I have an issue. Buying car in uk tmrw - arriving at dealer at 2pm - car costing £12,000. I’m using Transfermate. I Was to transfer the money today by doing it in one go by going into my bank to transfer to Transfermate but the money didn’t hit my account until after 5 from my Credit Union so will have to transfer to Transfermate in morning at 10am. I’m hoping the £12,000 will get to Transfermates account by lunch and then they can send it to the garage hopefully by close of business. I kinda know it unlikely and will probably have to stay a night.i have a flexinferry ticket. Just looking for any tips. Garage is Carbase and only take £700 by debit card so using my Revolut is not an option .
    Thanks in advance
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

been covered multiple times, if the DVLA won't or can't send on the old V5C, you'll have to re-register the car in the UK,using a friends address perhaps, and then when you get the V5C re-register it in Ireland.

I imagine they don't file paperwork any more, so the chances are the V5C would be shredded once the records are marked exported. You cannot re-register it in Ireland without a V5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hi driver83, I'm the person who was asking the same question a few pages back.

This thread has been a good help, but I'm not through the recommended process yet:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058000698

Worked for me a few times. NI dealers mostly only sell UK reg cars anyway

You would want to have an official receipt from a NI garage. Not as easy anymore to just pretend you bought it up north.

The amount of people with no V5s lately is chronic

Yes It seems to be an issue. I knew V5 was required but not the original. A photocopy coupled with invoice from a reputable dealer should be sufficient in terms of proof of ownership in my opinion. Or at least it's not completely unreasonable to believe that it would be sufficient, especially when the dealer themselves are telling you the original is not required. I'm not trying to remove myself from responsibility but to me it's a defect in the process here. I have reached out to local TDs to explain the situation because to me it's absolute madness to go through a fake registration in another country in order to register it in your own country simply because of a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I have never heard any suggestion that a copy would be acceptable. As I understood it, the original is required as evidence of things like C02 emissions etc and a photocopy could be manipulated and thus wouldn't be acceptable.

Is it definitely marked as "exported" at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭deezell

I noticed that also, and also people importing with little or no understanding of the vrt process, the Nox charges and how to calculate them, how to pay with the least exchange and fees (paying 2% fee on top of an exorbitant exchage rate, seriously?). Are they giving the cars away in the UK or something, they way some are throwing money at car checkers, car transporters, credit card fees, and all that before you pay for unforseen Nox, delayed VRT penalties and expensive Sterling. I detect an almost frantic desire to import before Brexit, regardless of the economic viability of it. Perhaps we need a Dos and Donts sticky at the start of this thread.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    I have never heard any suggestion that a copy would be acceptable. As I understood it, the original is required as evidence of things like C02 emissions etc and a photocopy could be manipulated and thus wouldn't be acceptable.

Is it definitely marked as "exported" at this stage?

How do I double check that? They have told me it is marked as exported in emails. "Now that it is marked as exported you will have to contact your local authorities for advice". I'm not sure if that's just them responding to me telling them that the garage had sent the v5 along with the export cert.

Advertisement