Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

hollyday wrote: »
    I'd love to know for those who have sold their car privately, on average how long did it take to sell? I'm trying to sell mine at the moment and getting a bit tired with the slow process :( lots of interest but nobody buying..

Link to the ad please!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd love to know for those who have sold their car privately, on average how long did it take to sell? I'm trying to sell mine at the moment and getting a bit tired with the slow process :( lots of interest but nobody buying..

I've only sold a few, but they were sold really quick because they were priced right and advertised well.

I cannot understate how important good photos are. Car should be spotless inside and out, and the photos taken during the day, preferably on a bright day (though that might be hard at the moment!).

If the advert is clear and concise, the photos are good and the price is right, then it will sell.

Pet hates of mine:
    - Blurred/dark photos
    - Hidden reg plates
    - Dirty car
    - Only a few photos and two or three of a similar angle
    - Pub talk, "no time wasters", "no test pilots" etc..
    - Vital details missing like mileage, year, spec, engine, NCT, tax etc.

Any of these, or a combination of them, and genuine buyers will likely not even bother calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Fab, just what i needed for selling the octavia once i give her the cleaning of her life :)

.... a day to 3 or 4 months has been my experience. Nothing recent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Can someone have a look at my add see if i'm going wrong as i have not had many calls.I've had to bump the add to see if it gets any calls but none.:(
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3700061
    I know wheel trim missing but has only just happened after getting it washed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Ad/Car looks fine to me maybe €200 too high pricewise though ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Can someone have a look at my add see if i'm going wrong as i have not had many calls.I've had to bump the add to see if it gets any calls but none.:(

Take out the bit about the tax. Only put a comment in about the tax if it's cheap i.e. tiny engine, or post '08 low emissions job. I'd also take out the bit about the dent. It should be a list of positives, not negatives.

Try and find a spare 2nd hand wheel trim for the missing one. Amazing how something small like that can make a difference. Photos look fine but if you get a chance, take some more on a sunny day.

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Ad/Car looks fine to me maybe €200 too high pricewise though ?

I'd take €1000 for it but thought i'd put €1200 so they can knock me down or is it better to put €1000 no offers?

PauloMN wrote: »
    Take out the bit about the tax. Only put a comment in about the tax if it's cheap i.e. tiny engine, or post '08 low emissions job. I'd also take out the bit about the dent. It should be a list of positives, not negatives.

Try and find a spare 2nd hand wheel trim for the missing one. Amazing how something small like that can make a difference. Photos look fine but if you get a chance, take some more on a sunny day.

I put the bit about dent in case someone drove a long way and was put off by the dent so thought i'd point it out.
    I have only just took them photo's and its very sunny outside,:) Maybe its the house throwing a shadow on it.

I put the bit about dent in case someone drove a long way and was put off by the dent so thought i'd point it out.
    I have only just took them photo's and its very sunny outside,:) Maybe its the house throwing a shadow on it.

The dent is perfectly visible from the photos, no need to mention it again I reckon. The photos are fine, don't worry about them, just could be a tiny bit brighter - I'm just being fussy!

€990 no offers might be a good price to try for. Means it'll come up when people search for a car under €1000 also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Put down at end price or nearest offer also just put in taxed till whatever month taxed till also put in NCT on ad with everything else also does it have a cd changer ? Electric windows? Service history or put in serviced regurlarlay, has clutch been changed if so put in the ad,
    I would take the pics down that have missing hub cap and rotate the caps you have to have all wheels covered for pics until you can replace.
    Does it have 1 or 2 keys if 2 state that in ad.
    Just put as much info as possible in the ad.

The advert is fine.

Put the NCT date in the text of the ad also, and also put the tax expiry in the ad.

Leave in the bit about the dent and don't touch the price (Lowering it under 1k makes you subject to stupid offers), just leave the line in the water and see does someone bite.

Not 1 phone call,i have know dropped the price to €995 and still no interest.Do you think it could be because it's 1.5?

Could be because it's a horrible 3 door Almera :pac:

Could be because it's a horrible 3 door Almera :pac:

:p

Finally have it sold :D

Finally have it sold :D

Maith an buachaill!

How much?

Maith an buachaill!

How much?

Got €1000 for it, I bumped the add on wednesday and the phone never stopped ringing,a nice couple bought it as a second car.

Got €1000 for it, I bumped the add on wednesday and the phone never stopped ringing,a nice couple bought it as a second car.

Lucky you got askin! Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭rameire

a nice couple bought it

cheers.:)

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    cheers.:)

Hope its going ok for you Rebecca. Aoife will be in touch for photo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Should it be noted that the car you are selling was smoked in? I know how people can be understandably sickened by this.

I used to be a smoker and would occasionally smoke in my car which I want to sell. Always had the windows open and tried to blow smoke outside but as you know, the smell lingers. I haven't smoked in a year now and nobody has in the car. I have cleaned it out and can honestly say I can't get a whiff of smoke. there's also a tiny, tiny burn hole from a bit of ash on the passenger seat. Should this be mentioned in the ad? Or would it be worth it getting a new seat cover?

Seat covers are a spawn of the devil

Ha, well I wasn't exactly thinking something like this...

51LD66iBPdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but this is the damage below, should this be mentioned in the ad?

rExu6.png

I don't want to put anyone off, but I don't want to try to hide it. As far as features of the car go, there's not much (no alloys, etc.) so it might luck a bit rubbish if it was just 'Car for sale. Shít seat'

What's that? A Micra?

Price a second hand seat.

Will do, cheers.

Will do, cheers.

If it is a Micra they have an airbag in them so it might not be cost effective to do so.

I'd be more worried about what the stains are than the cigarette burns!

AND FOR MY 1000TH POST...
    If it is a Micra they have an airbag in them so it might not be cost effective to do so.

bollócks :(
    PauloMN wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about what the stains are than the cigarette burns!

Yeah, they're unsightly alright. Spent the last hour scrubbing the back to good results. Hitting the front after lunch but I'll probably admit defeat and start searching out replacement covers in the next day or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I have a dealer looking to buy a car belonging to my friend.
    He is willing to transfer the money over to his account but before doing so, whats a photocopy of the vehicle registration cert..
    Is that normal or should he be suspicious?

Advertisement