Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship - Where is my passport?

Options
13»

Comments

ito wrote: »
    Once you have an European passport, you are grand.

And as part of being in the EU, you have the medical services covered in all countries inside.

Only emergency though. I fancy my chances on a Spanish waiting list for more than an Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My wife is eastern European and her passport is better than mine according to the link.
    Depends on what you want to do. The main advantage an Irish passport has over a Bulgarian passport is that the Irish passport carries a right to work, study and settle in the UK, which the Bulgarian passport does not. (This is not accounted for in the passportindex website, which only looks at travel visa requirements.)
    But this may be of no interest to your wife if she has no desire to work, study or settle in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Looks like they have finally got round to sorting out citizenship declarations. Maybe time for a new time-line thread so we can see how quick (or more likely very slow) they actually are in sorting this stuff out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

PommieBast wrote: »
    Looks like they have finally got round to sorting out citizenship declarations. Maybe time for a new time-line thread so we can see how quick (or more likely very slow) they actually are in sorting this stuff out...

Seen that this morning too. Although I saw it published on the Irish Examiner website at 06:30 this morning before it was on any official sites, so I dont know how they get the information sooner.
    Hoping to be in the first phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jacovs wrote: »
    Seen that this morning too. Although I saw it published on the Irish Examiner website at 06:30 this morning before it was on any official sites, so I dont know how they get the information sooner.
    Hoping to be in the first phase.

Press releases are issued well in advance with an embargo time. If you breach the embargo you won’t receive advance notice in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I am British and applied last March. My passport was returned a week later. In December I was asked to send details of my GP appointments since I was registered at the surgery. Not heard anything since. I presume that they will post a letter before sending the email?

I hink it will be useful if anyone on here receives their email or a letter saying their application is successful if they could post on here so the rest of us waiting can compare their wait time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

@ITO and others in similar circumstances, I suggest you have a look at the Immigration Boards forum.

They have specific Citizenship Application Timeline threads dealing with which is far more informative. The board is dedicated to immigration as well so you will get plenty of help from folk in similar circumstances.

Yes that is true but unfortunately many of the timelines are not accurate as on examining the posts on there unfortunately many of the posters seemed to have lost interest in updating their status once they have been approved for citizenship. There are about a hundred timelines on there but I only saw one approval amongst them....

I applied Feb 2019 and got approval Feb 2020 but narrowly missed out on the ceremony by a matter of days. Heard nothing since a letter acknowledging a change of address March 2020.

Until i read the link posted above I just assumed all this stuff about invites being emailed was just a big fat lie to keep people quiet.

There seems to be no logic in the way Citizenship office works. Some peole are still waiting for an email a year after approval. Others are receiving citizenship papers less than a year after first applying. I know Doctors and Nurses etc are receiving priority which might account for some anomilies but why does it need 2 or 3 years to process other applications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I applied august 2019. Received letter in the post february 2020 to say ive been approved and to send them my GNIB card and €950, which I did the next day.
    Just missed out on the March 2020 ceremonies.
    Heard nothing then except for the announcements on their websites. Emailing them was no use.
    Then got email on 20 January 2021 saying to send them final few things. Received certificate of naturalisation about 3 weeks after. So I got my certificate about 4 weeks ago in the post. A year after I was approved, and 18 months after I first applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ito

Well, I just got my passport back. It took 3 months, so I am not expecting to become Irish this 2021 at all.

Karwik wrote: »
    Does the country of your passport really depend on your human rights?
    In Ireland a major problem has been INIS holding onto people's paperwork (passports & GNIB cards), and as a result they cannot travel home, claim benefits, or take up work. Not sure I'd call it a human rights issue myself but there is a case to be made by them de-facto removing people's ability to make any living at all.

Hi there,

I can't edit my first message, and I was going to update, but I will instead add a new message.

It's been almost a year since I sent my application and I heard nothing so far. It looks like it can take up to 2 years for straightforward applications, so in 2022 I should become Irish 🤔

Some months after my application was received, they returned back the passport.

It would be good to have a public website where we can see what dates they are processing at the moment so that people don't send them emails all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That wouldn't work. Citizenship is not like a passport application where the stages are prescriptive. It might take a fortnight to get security clearance reports from the UK for example but 18 months+ from parts of South America and Africa. So they are likely to be processing applications from hundreds of different dates at the same time.

I originally applied circa March 2019 and the letter stating application had been approved asking for the €950 was sent Feb 2020. Interestingly they (perhaps accidentally) left a receipt in with my certificate which indicates they did not even cash my payment until around October 2020. Certificate finally arrived July 2021. I'm not even going to try applying for an Irish passport itself until next year.

Looks very much like they just sat on their asses for a significant portion of 2020 and/or 2021 so any sort of estimate on processing time would likely be meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I never said my wife was Bulgarian. I find your litany of assumptions baffling.

You said you wanted the website to say what date they were processing, not what stage the application is at?

Re 2020 stoppage, that was confirmed. No passports (bar emergency documents) or citizenship applications were processed during the initial lockdowns as staff were redeployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I picked Bulgarian simply as an example of an Eastern European passport. Pick any other Eastern European passport and what I said would still be true. The main thing that an Irish passport offer that no passport of any Eastern European country offers is a right to enter, settle, live, work and vote in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is also a group of older Russian people people living in Latvia but born pre-independence who were not given citizenship on independence (despite many having voted for it). They are 'Stateless persons', called Aliens in Latvia and are not EU citizens.

My partner was one such person. She waited almost 10 years from her application to getting her sweaty paw on Irish citizenship. They 'lost' a number of her applications. Even though there are delays now, it's much better than it was.

Noises I am hearing is that processing time is now two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

From the 1st January the necessity to send the passport has been dropped.

I don't know why you tagged me. I just pointed out how pointless it would be to have a date they were processing on the website when any one person could be working on tens of applications (or more) all from different dates. Any given application stage can take minutes, hours, days, weeks or months depending on the application.

Well, not in a rush... Hopefully at the end of 2022 then.

I just answer to the ones that replied to me, nothing personal ;)! You might be technically right, but it is always good to know in what state your application is.

News!

I got a letter from the Department of Justice asking me for Vetting Information.

Basically a letter I have to send them, so that garda.ie can check by background.

To summarize:

10/12/2020 - Apply for citizenship

15/03/2021 - I got my passport back

--- silence ---

11/02/2022 - I got a letter from the Department of Justice asking me for Vetting Information.

10/06/2022 - Pay the fee (950), declaration of fidelity, etc.

08/2022 - Received the new passports and a letter congratulating me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Congratulations and welcome!

• Advertisement

So they have decided to permanently stop the citizenship ceremonies and just stick with the Covid-era declarations of fidelity?

Advertisement