14-04-2021, 09:00   #2551
byhookorbycrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fairservice View Post
Thanks. Was hoping my GP could do it. I think my MS nurse retired and I'm having a hard time trying to contact my neurologist at the moment for something else.
My GP does mine for driving .

€175 is very expensive for repeat visits , I would have thought ? The initial consultation is usually more expensive where I go ( 4 different consultants have me “on their books”)
I get cash back on my VHI policy and don’t forget that you can claim tax relief on your medical expenses.

I get a letter from the Neuro each year to submit to my car insurance company . The one I’m with at present didn’t look for one but I prefer to have the letter and to give them a copy , so that there is a clear paper trail on that .

MRI wise , with health insurance, I can more or less choose the time and day , I know of people who are waiting quite a while for their MRIs in the public system.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-04-2021, 12:07   #2552
MyAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
My GP does mine for driving .

€175 is very expensive for repeat visits , I would have thought ? The initial consultation is usually more expensive where I go ( 4 different consultants have me “on their books”)
I get cash back on my VHI policy and don’t forget that you can claim tax relief on your medical expenses.

I get a letter from the Neuro each year to submit to my car insurance company . The one I’m with at present didn’t look for one but I prefer to have the letter and to give them a copy , so that there is a clear paper trail on that .

MRI wise , with health insurance, I can more or less choose the time and day , I know of people who are waiting quite a while for their MRIs in the public system.

The initial consultation was €250 a couple of years back, and repeat visits were €150, but went up to €175 about two years ago.

My Private Health Insurance makes the MRI thing easy in fairness, but my policy doesn't cover GP or Consultants visits - I did seek increased cover last year but there is a 2 year "waiting period" for the increased cover to become available - it's bloody expensive though - approaching €2k per annum, if want the high level of coverage in respect of GP and consultants. On the balance based on the number of times I have to see the GP and / or Consultant the increase in premium will be more funded by the rebates.
14-04-2021, 13:04   #2553
Carrie6OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAccount View Post
Thanks for that - great to hear - I am genuinely considering moving out of the Private System - €175 everytime I want to see the Neuro, (which rarely lasts more than 5 or 10 mins), and anything and everything costs money - charges handsomely for writing repeat prescriptions despite not having go beyond his secretary, and a fee to get a form signed for my Driver License renewal, despite having seen the guy (and paid €175) less than a month prior.

All money I can't really afford, but then again, can I "afford" not to see the guy.

I am also hearing loads of you signing the praises of your MS nurses; the nurses seem to be great for routine stuff like repeat prescriptions and general sounding boards - my Neuro / the hospital I attend, don't have such a person.

In fairness though it's very nice building / premises (is that important ?!)

One Q, if I may, rightly or wrongly I have a perception that it can take many months to get an appointment in the public system? - in fairness to the private system - I can generally get an appointment within days, especially if and when things go awry / my symptoms flare up.

It doesn't happen regularly but I wouldn't want to be stuck in "no mans land" - I know I shouldn't but I worry when thing go awry, so the ability to see someone at short notice is very valuable to my peace of mind.
I would change to public. I was in the private system and the public care I get now is far superior. Charging a person with a lifelong illness for a prescription bothers me. And if you’re in south dublin Vincent’s neurology is also in a kinda nice building!! Well it has Starbucks coffee so that’s a bonus! Ask for a referral to the public neurologist and keep your private care while you’re waiting for your appointment. I got a letter when I switched telling me it was a 5 year wait but really it only took 6 months. I get an annual appointment but whenever I needed to see him I got an appointment no problem. And the nurses are always at the end of the phone. I mostly just do my appointments with them now! My health insurance covers MRIs in a private clinic so there’s usually no waiting for them.
(2) thanks from:
14-04-2021, 18:03   #2554
MyAccount

@ Carrie.

Thanks a mill for that. That sounds ideal, especially access to a nurse for my silly / non urgent Qs

Plus the Starbucks would be a massive bonus
Thanks from:
14-04-2021, 19:33   #2555
discobeaker

Send a message via MSN to discobeaker
Just got called today to go for the moderna vaccine on Saturday. Nervous but also Abit excited to get started. Hoping that it won't make my ms flair up but I've got nothing planned for afew days after the shot so if I've any reaction I can thankfully rest up for awhile

Hope you all are keeping safe and well

Last edited by discobeaker; 15-04-2021 at 00:18.
Advertisement
15-04-2021, 09:01   #2556
Lollipops23

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobeaker View Post
Just got called today to go for the moderna vaccine on Saturday. Nervous but also Abit excited to get started. Hoping that it won't make my ms flair up but I've got nothing planned for afew days after the shot so if I've any reaction I can thankfully rest up for awhile

Excellent! I'm waiting on my new appointment, fingers crossed I get a call today or tomorrow!
Thanks from:
15-04-2021, 15:08   #2557
Lollipops23

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobeaker View Post

Actually, was your original appointment cancelled?
16-04-2021, 01:08   #2558
discobeaker

Send a message via MSN to discobeaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipops23 View Post
Actually, was your original appointment cancelled?
No I hadn't been called before. Doctor called me Wednesday afternoon and told me to show up on Saturday for it. Hopefully your doctor calls you soon
17-04-2021, 22:30   #2559
Salmotrutta

Got called in to GPs today for the Pfizer jab. Had called last week to see what the story was, secretary told me to contact my hospital as they weren't doing people with underlying conditions. Then got a text on Thursday that they were doing a "high risk Pfizer clinic" over 2 days (Fri and Sat) and I was on the standby list. Not sure why the turnaround or if the secretary was just fobbing me off, but glad it worked out anyway! Had been resigned to waiting til June for the first jab but will be fully vaccinated by late May

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion