Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Sale and Freebie thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

blade1 wrote: »
    They are but maybe give them a call beforehand to see what measures are in place for trying on stuff.

Better off getting a new helmet for your kid's head with function and fit being the priorities.

Will try them tomorrow. Thanks for that. Agree with you on function/fit

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Ok guys. On the off chance, I am looking for a cheap bike. Open to suggestions.

I have 15 years NCB on classics and it expires shortly. So want something lower (am only 5 foot 6), 15 years + old, and running.

I am not fussy, does not have to be immaculate, my last bike was a UK financial write off, but rebuilt. My last few bikes were Diversion 600, BMW K1200rs.

Anything around? I have a few weeks and need to get something......

Cheers.

Got a 1993 Ducati Monster 900 here. Red, all up together and running. Only 7000 miles. Just been VRTd onto Irish plates. Nice and low! 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

Any pics to share of the 93 Monster? Please post.

DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Got a 1993 Ducati Monster 900 here. Red, all up together and running. Only 7000 miles. Just been VRTd onto Irish plates. Nice and low! 3k
    Thanks but cannot go that high at present. Can do maybe a grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

They are but maybe give them a call beforehand to see what measures are in place for trying on stuff.

Better off getting a new helmet for your kid's head with function and fit being the priorities.

Do you have any idea on the prices of kids helmets blade? Same prices as adults ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭blade1

honda boi wrote: »
    Do you have any idea on the prices of kids helmets blade? Same prices as adults ?

Sorry I don't know.
    At a guess I suppose you'd be talking 100 upwards for anything decent.

You could get cheaper online I suppose but it's a gamble fitting wise.
    I suppose if you have PayPal and signed up for free PayPal returns you can try a few if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

The Ducati
    Bar screen

Carbon end cans

Carbon heel guards

Hugger

Carbon tank pad

Belly pan

Rear seat cover

Renthal superbike bars

New battery

Carbs stripped and cleaned

New fuel filter

New grips

Nearly new tyres

Chain n sprockets, pads, discs all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ok guys. On the off chance, I am looking for a cheap bike. Open to suggestions.

I have 15 years NCB on classics and it expires shortly. So want something lower (am only 5 foot 6), 15 years + old, and running.

I am not fussy, does not have to be immaculate, my last bike was a UK financial write off, but rebuilt. My last few bikes were Diversion 600, BMW K1200rs.

Anything around? I have a few weeks and need to get something......

Cheers.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/price-drop-diversion-900s/27052454

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »

Provisionally sold

Thanks blade. I am looking at that one already. I brought in 1 of those from the uk in the past but slightly to big for me. Tippy toes job, but unstable as its is quite heavy. I am aware they can be lowered with dog bones though.

There is a blackbird with luggage for 1700 which I am watching but need it to come down a bit.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/other-motorbikes/other-motorbikes/honda-cbr-1100-blackbird/22898715

They both satisfy the classic policy as over 15 years, but need to check with Nash, as sometimes having an R is frowned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If insurance is a worry I would have thought a blackbird is a no go. Worth noting they have a wide seat and are far heavier than a diversion, as you mentioned your height and the bike weight were factors. I understand you have your budget but I don't think you'd pay a grand for anything above 600cc that can start.

zubair wrote: »
    If insurance is a worry I would have thought a blackbird is a no go. Worth noting they have a wide seat and are far heavier than a diversion, as you mentioned your height and the bike weight were factors. I understand you have your budget but I don't think you'd pay a grand for anything above 600cc that can start.
    I have classic insurance which is about to expire, so hence me looking now. I had a 99 k1200rs that was stolen, heavy but low. There are a few around, just keeping an eye out. Heavy is ok as long as I can get both feet down to stabilise it.

If its 15 years old it is classic and will cost me around 400 euro insurance. It is only for an occasional blast on my day off or commuting if I get a job. I have access to 2 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Have you checked what it would cost to get a non-classic policy? €400 seems a very high price.

400 insurance on a 1k-1.5k bike seems excessive.

I don't think the blackbird would be for you based on your points but I might be wrong.

What is your actual budget though? As this might be a bit of dream if you're thinking about getting a running bike for a grand.

400 insurance on a 1k-1.5k bike seems excessive.

I don't think the blackbird would be for you based on your points but I might be wrong.

What is your actual budget though? As this might be a bit of dream if you're thinking about getting a running bike for a grand.

I could go a grand now, or maybe 1500 at a stretch. My last bike was a k1200rs, 99 and insurance was 390 ish fire and theft.

Curious about the blackbird. It is low, ok quite heavy, but no heavier than the BMW, I would only use it for a blast on my day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I could go a grand now, or maybe 1500 at a stretch. My last bike was a k1200rs, 99 and insurance was 390 ish fire and theft.

Curious about the blackbird. It is low, ok quite heavy, but no heavier than the BMW, I would only use it for a blast on my day off.

They ain't that low, I'm a hair shy of 5'11 and can't totally flat foot my cbr600 f4 the blackbird is a good 40mm taller in terms of seat height.

You don't need a sports tourer with full luggage for a Sunday spin. With the seat height being a factor and as its for pottering/scraping you should look at the middle weight nakeds, that's what they're made for and you're more likely to find one thats within budget

You don't need a sports tourer with full luggage for a Sunday spin. With the seat height being a factor and as its for pottering/scraping you should look at the middle weight nakeds, that's what they're made for and you're more likely to find one thats within budget
    Very true, but I have always had a top box and later, luggage, to hit the road if desired. There are a few deauvilles around. I love the idea of a pan, but waaaay to big and heavy.

Very true, but I have always had a top box and later, luggage, to hit the road if desired. There are a few deauvilles around. I love the idea of a pan, but waaaay to big and heavy.

Blackbird seat height is 810mm and 225kg dry
    Deauvilles is 805mm and 236kg dry
    K1200rs is 800mm and 266kg dry

Both lighter than the kr and the deauville being shorter than the bird with a negligible weight difference.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Blackbird seat height is 810mm and 225kg dry
    Deauvilles is 805mm and 236kg dry
    K1200rs is 800mm and 266kg dry

Both lighter than the kr and the deauville being shorter than the bird with a negligible weight difference.

I managed the beemer ok, except when I put my foot in a hole and it lay down, needed help to lift it. You can see where I am going here. It would be a pity to lose my NCB so need something soon. Reset the 3 yr clock. Otherwise, I may never get on a bike again.

May try and talk to those two bike sellers above and see if they are negotiable. There is a diversion in Lifford, I have connections up there, but travel is a nono for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement

I managed the beemer ok, except when I put my foot in a hole and it lay down, needed help to lift it. You can see where I am going here. It would be a pity to lose my NCB so need something soon. Reset the 3 yr clock. Otherwise, I may never get on a bike again.

May try and talk to those two bike sellers above and see if they are negotiable. There is a diversion in Lifford, I have connections up there, but travel is a nono for obvious reasons.

I get where you're going but for your usage and the fact its only really to maintain a ncb most of us would buy some cheap and cheerful naked bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Bikerman I think you need to do some checking on this because everything I see online states this "you can't use or accrue NCB on classic policies".

Surely it would be just as easy to insure one of those bikes on a non-classic policy for around the same price, at least then you'll actually be getting an NCB which could mean cheaper insure over the next few years.

It doesn't look like you are getting anything out of a classic policy that wouldn't be better off served by getting a normal policy.

P.s: NCB's are usually only valid for two years after a policy has expired; not three.

Bikerman I think you need to do some checking on this because everything I see online states this "you can't use or accrue NCB on classic policies".

Surely it would be just as easy to insure one of those bikes on a non-classic policy for around the same price, at least then you'll actually be getting an NCB which could mean cheaper insure over the next few years.

It doesn't look like you are getting anything out of a classic policy that wouldn't be better off served by getting a normal policy.

P.s: NCB's are usually only valid for two years after a policy has expired; not three.

That's actually a very good and relevant point, any I've seen in the past say you don't get a ncb on a classic so bikerman is essentially wasting money.
    Actually isn't it normally a two year lapse for ncb to be invalidated ?

That's actually a very good and relevant point, any I've seen in the past say you don't get a ncb on a classic so bikerman is essentially wasting money.
    Actually isn't it normally a two year lapse for ncb to be invalidated ?
    My understanding is is expires on anniversary of yr 3

My understanding is is expires on anniversary of yr 3

Quick Google is two years from the date of last expiry, moot point though if you never built up a ncb.
    Who was your insurer?

Quick Google is two years from the date of last expiry, moot point though if you never built up a ncb.
    Who was your insurer?

Carole Nash. It shows 15 years policy, so maybe I took that to be NCB

What is the general opinions of a blackbird with 120k on it. I imagine it would be good for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

What is the general opinions of a blackbird with 120k on it. I imagine it would be good for a long time yet
    Check the timing chain tensioner.

Charging system might be marginal now (any late 90s Honda's had issues there).

Other than that...depends on price. Could be a bargain way to cruise to 170mph.

Should make mention to no claims if there is one on the no claims bonus cert you get with renewal packs or document packs.

CN site says 2 years I'm nearly sure so there's no point in buying a bike to save anything if you're already at year 3.

Ehm honda of that era, questionable electrics/ charging
    (Reg rec)
    Pretty high millage for a bike in this country.
    Tensioner wouldn't bother me they aren't a big job to get done and them becoming lose was common on that era cbr.
    Depends on how it's been treated, could be grand could be a time bomb

For anyone starting out on a budget I am clearing out some stuff and have a box bx1 M helmet, weise textile jacket M and richa boots 43, free to anyone who wants to collect them, I'm in Newbridge. They're all tired and need of a wash/wipe down but will get a beginner started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 pjackson

I am clearing out some gear having bought some new stuff. I have a Weise textile jacket and trousers for size 38 to 40 chest and 34 waist. Also an Alpinestars textile jacket same chest size. I'm located in South Dublin. All in decent nick.

Advertisement