Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are the English different from us?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

We were always closer to Boston than Berlin.

Sure but especially with younger generations it's case of been closer to LA than London when it comes to things such as popular culture etc. (Uptalk and dreaded "Vocal Fry" among younger women for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,745 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dubhthach wrote: »
    Sure but especially with younger generations it's case of been closer to LA than London when it comes to things such as popular culture etc. (Uptalk and dreaded "Vocal Fry" among younger women for example)

Suppose that could be classed as some sort of fad that will disappear in time to be replaced by something else rather than a de facto cultural difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Suppose that could be classed as some sort of fad that will disappear in time to be replaced by something else rather than a de facto cultural difference.

Well it's linguistic convergence, you have to remember that traditionally Hiberno-English has an Irish substrate. This has led to non-standard features due to influence of Irish. However these were always regarded as "bad english" (thence the fact Dublin use to have the highest number of elecution schools in than UK), so over time Hiberno-English has converged with "standard english". Now given that "General American" has prestige due to media/popular culture it's not surprising that we are seeing convergence with it, it helps that American English of course is Rhotic like Hiberno-English, whereas standard English has become non-Rhotic (as influenced by RP).

In another 50 years or so "Hiberno-English" as we knew it will be dead and we'll all just speaking a globalised "Mid-Atlantic" speak with perhaps some unique words thrown into mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

In another 50 years or so "Hiberno-English" as we knew it will be dead and we'll all just speaking a globalised "Mid-Atlantic" speak with perhaps some unique words thrown into mix.

لا أعتقد أن كنت على صواب في هذا الرأي.
    هذه هي اللغة التي تكون كلها خمسين عاما يتحدث في المستقبل.

تاك

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The business about funerals is more to do with the size of the population. No matter how enthusiastic you might be to bury someone, if you can't get the paperwork done and organise a 'slot' in the undertaker's diary, you are not going to get someone underground/cremated - not in less than a week or 10 days anyway.

As to the friendliness of the Irish, yes, it is true that people will acknowledge you in the street and be friendly in the pub, but unless you are related you do not get invited into other people's houses. If you have long time friends from college or school this is also a basis for friendship, but if you are a blow-in, tough. I am amused by the american tourists who come and are under the impression that they have made friends at the b&bs they stay in...no, you are a paying customer, you paid for friendliness and a pleasant smile. Which is great for the tourist industry- and the b&b's have a return customer, but that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I believe that is the case in both countries.

looksee wrote: »
    I am amused by the american tourists who come and are under the impression that they have made friends at the b&bs they stay in...no, you are a paying customer, you paid for friendliness and a pleasant smile. Which is great for the tourist industry- and the b&b's have a return customer, but that is all.

The tourists don't get to see the flip side of Irish nature, the begrudgery and backstabbing.

The tourists don't get to see the flip side of Irish nature, the begrudgery and backstabbing.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do wonder why the constant need (see frequent threads in AH) in a few people to compare Irish and Brits, and reassure themselves that the Irish are cuddly. Some are, some aren't, same as everywhere.

As to the difference between English and Irish, well which English are you talking about? The city people or the country people? North or south, any particular class? Are we going to select anecdotal individuals to prove a point on either side, or is there a way of generalising about an entire country? Do the vast numbers of people of non Anglo-Saxon/Celtic/other ancient groupings count as English for this survey?

And why English, would it not be more interesting to compare, say, the Welsh and the Irish, or the Scots and the Irish?
    My experience here is we seem to be a friendlier and mix more with locals and learn the language more...in general.

What does this mean? Where is 'here', which locals, which language?

Can we have a bit more specific question so a reasonably (semi)academic discussion can be held?

looksee wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far, but I do wonder why the constant need (see frequent threads in AH) in a few people to compare Irish and Brits, and reassure themselves that the Irish are cuddly. Some are, some aren't, same as everywhere.

You answered your own question there. There is a segment of the population who constantly feel the need to look over their shoulders at the old enemy and harbour a constant need for reassurance that we are the 'good guys' that the whole world loves, a great bunch of lads. I wonder are the French as insecure and pre-occupied about the Germans, or do Africans whinge about their former colonial masters all of the time?

You answered your own question there. There is a segment of the population who constantly feel the need to look over their shoulders at the old enemy and harbour a constant need for reassurance that we are the 'good guys' that the whole world loves, a great bunch of lads. I wonder are the French as insecure and pre-occupied about the Germans, or do Africans whinge about their former colonial masters all of the time?

Well based on an unscientific survey involving living in two ex-colonies shortly (4 or so years) after independence in both cases, I can tell you no, they don't - or didn't. Huge pride in their independence and enthusiasm to go forward, not a lot of looking back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

IrishProd wrote: »
    Why because some Irish people wear English football jerseys or support non-Irish clubs?

By your logic there is no difference between Lithuanians & Polish people because some wear each other sports jerseys, or French people watching American Netflix programs means there is little difference between Americans and French people, or there is very little difference between English people and Germans because some shop on amazon.gr instead of amazon.uk.....:rolleyes:

Its called 'globalisation'

All neighboring countries have a shared history with another that is normal, it does not mean there is "little difference".

As the op is talking about Spain, no, the average Spaniard will see little or no difference.

Anyone drinking beer to excess, wearing a Man United jersey and swearing in English is instantly considered English.

You can talk about genetics all you like, people aren't more or less friendly because they have more of one gene than another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

To me one of the big differences is the attitudes to civic society and public services, in the UK you have people arguing passionately against the sell off council houses, believe in council provided services, are extremely proud of the NHS, here you get the if its free it will be abused attitude and often a grudging attitude to the provision of services 'why should my taxs pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

I don't think the Western European countries are very different from each other in general. At first you can think so due to the language barrier. To be honest there'd be more of a split along rural/urban lines than national ones in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

If you want to really notice 'differences', go to Hungary or Finland - even the Baltic States, but especially Hungary or Finland.

In Hungarian - Ha azt szeretnénk, hogy igazán észre 'különbségeket', menjen Magyarország, Finnország - még a balti államok, de különösen Magyarország, Finnország.

Neither country speaks a language that has any affinity whatosever with either Romance, Germanic or Celtic languages.

At least Ireland and the UK almost share a common language, apart from local linguistic leftovers or intrusions.

tac

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

We were always closer to Boston than Berlin.

Let's see:
    - Healthcare: No
    - Death Penalty: No
    - Gun Control: No
    - Social Welfare: No
    - Education: No
    - Military: No
    - Economic Philosophy: Not anymore

We are much closer to mainland Europe and Berlin, than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How does this thread relate to history, or is the history forum now the equivalent of the Zoo on politics.ie

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Let's see:
    - Healthcare: No
    - Death Penalty: No
    - Gun Control: No
    - Social Welfare: No
    - Education: No
    - Military: No
    - Economic Philosophy: Not anymore

Thank you for your neatly arranged bullet points, but it was obvious I was referring to cultural outlook, not state functions or legal system.

tac foley wrote: »
    If you want to really notice 'differences', go to Hungary or Finland
    The differences you've quoted are purely linguistic though. Culturally the Finns are essentially Scandinavian and the Hungarians are very similar to the Austrians.

Thank you for your neatly arranged bullet points, but it was obvious I was referring to cultural outlook, not state functions or legal system.
    How is our cultural outlook similar to America, but different to mainland Europe? I'm being genuine here, I don't really see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

How does this thread relate to history, or is the history forum now the equivalent of the Zoo on politics.ie

The Irish (at least some of them) like to complain about what they have rather than try and improve things themselves.

The quoted post is an example of this- complaining rather than trying to contribute positively!!!
    I believe the historical context of this could be taken to be years of not being in control or charge of their systems.

• Advertisement

The Irish (at least some of them) like to complain about what they have rather than try and improve things themselves.

The quoted post is an example of this- complaining rather than trying to contribute positively!!!
    I believe the historical context of this could be taken to be years of not being in control or charge of their systems.

Sorry take a look around the internet at various history forums, and how they stop each thread ending up as the annual poppy thread.

History in this thread Football colours, Spain , NHS

Yeah right

Sorry take a look around the internet at various history forums, and how they stop each thread ending up as the annual poppy thread.

History in this thread Football colours, Spain , NHS

Yeah right

My point was why always complain. Your reply is more complaints.

Your other option is contribute positively. please try that in future. Try addressing the thread title positively with a basis for your answer being historical.

My point was why always complain. Your reply is more complaints.

Your other option is contribute positively. please try that in future. Try addressing the thread title positively with a basis for your answer being historical.

Look at the topics on the first page of the history forum at politics.ie http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/ now look at first page here.

If someone does not complain nothing will ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Look at the topics on the first page of the history forum at politics.ie http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/ now look at first page here.

I'm sold - thanks for the tip. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Here is my own version.
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    Let's see:
    - Healthcare: Both Ireland and US are moving in the direction of Germany.
    - Death Penalty: It hardly defines a nation. It is rare in most of the US.
    - Gun Control: No Ireland is in the middle ground internationally like Germany.
    - Social Welfare: Each of three countries are distinct.
    - Education: No Ireland is perhaps a mix of the two countries.
    - Military: Closer to Germany.
    - Economic Philosophy: debatable.

So although there is a closeness to the US, Dublin is closer to Berlin. That been said US is a far more important trading partner and our economic fortunes are tied to the US.

As it happens we would have plenty of legal similarities with the US. Our legal system has the same root as the US unlike Germany. Debatable which is closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree, this topic has nothing to do with history and is an indicator of the present state of this forum. A good forum can be destroyed by bad topics and uneven modding, just as a good topic can be destroyed by the contribution of bad content. As a result the more interesting posters leave, and it then becomes a downward spiral, with the usual cr@p being posted and thanked by the usual suspects. To maintain traffic (revenue stream) the ‘controls’ are relaxed and we see threads such as this and this
    yet meritorious topics like this and this that deserve expansion are ignored.

Not a complaint, just an observation from someone who has lived and worked for decades in several countries but could not be ar$ed to comment on a sociology topic in a history forum.

Originally Posted by who the fug View Post

I agree, this topic has nothing to do with history and is an indicator of the present state of this forum. A good forum can be destroyed by bad topics and uneven modding, just as a good topic can be destroyed by the contribution of bad content. As a result the more interesting posters leave, and it then becomes a downward spiral, with the usual cr@p being posted and thanked by the usual suspects. To maintain traffic (revenue stream) the ‘controls’ are relaxed and we see threads such as this and this
    yet meritorious topics like this and this that deserve expansion are ignored.

Not a complaint, just an observation from someone who has lived and worked for decades in several countries but could not be ar$ed to comment on a sociology topic in a history forum.
    Pure negativity again rather than any attempt to contribute positively to the forum. Its very easy to complain about the nature and type of posts by others without attempting to contribute positively. Well done both. How many times did you both report posts for being off topic or not suitable on forum?

Back to the start then- So the thread OP asks an innocent question -he places it on the history & heritage forum. Why not attempt to place the answers into a suitable context relating to the forum. Instead you complain... pathetic lack of initiative.

Look at the OP again.
    What do u think? Are we even any different despite our different origins?
    We are different. Try looking at how the class system took hold and control of society in England, compare this to how the same hierarchical structure dismantled in Ireland. How did this effect the general type of stereotypical view of Irish people. Take the period 1870 to 1990 for example and look at the social change in both countries. Ireland faced revolution isolation and certain levels of poverty. England faced war and the end of empire. Place answers in historical context. Relate answers to our heritage.

More complaints fug...

Since you are unhappy with the topics here can you please link me to the last thread you started here- Maybe it can be an example for us....

Please provide link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Pure negativity again rather than any attempt to contribute positively to the forum. Its very easy to complain about the nature and type of posts by others without attempting to contribute positively. Well done both. How many times did you both report posts for being off topic or not suitable on forum?
    Back to the start then- So the thread OP asks an innocent question -he places it on the history & heritage forum. Why not attempt to place the answers into a suitable context relating to the forum. Instead you complain... pathetic lack of initiative.

Look at the OP again.

We are different. Try looking at how the class system took hold and control of society in England, compare this to how the same hierarchical structure dismantled in Ireland. How did this effect the general type of stereotypical view of Irish people. Take the period 1870 to 1990 for example and look at the social change in both countries. Ireland faced revolution isolation and certain levels of poverty. England faced war and the end of empire. Place answers in historical context. Relate answers to our heritage.
    I do report posts, most of which are ignored although in fairness to Dubhthach I find him more responsive, fairer and less acerbic that your retorts. ;)

That out of the way, and as you are throwing down the gauntlet, take this debate back to basics. Your comments above cover far more ground than that implied by or even can be inferred from the OP – your remarks extend to the views and perceptions of the English when it comes to class, Ireland and the Irish.

Firstly, look at the OP. It’s badly phrased, imprecise and the initial poster has - in his/her single additional post to the topic after dozens of responses – days ago essentially reiterated the opening post and added nothing else. However, s/he has had time to add the following to another thread
    Jesus I hate feckin spiders. Two worst experiences...I met a rather large huntsman in the northern beaches while on acid….
    And, continuing to ignore this thread, s/he went on elsewhere to post about playing with Lego. Now, does that cr@ap merit you getting worked up? :confused:

To use your own expression, place the answers question in a suitable context. So what is meant by “English”? What social class? What ethnic background? What level of education? What level of intelligence? As a student, L.Cert just over, I went to England to get a summer job, (like everyone then we pretended to be farmers’ sons, rough and hardened, in the belief that it was easier to get a job there), started working as a cleaner in a Grimsby fish factory. I fitted in, as did the couple of schoolmates with me. I liked my English colleagues, they were friendly, polite and fun. I went out with them for drinks on paynight, and even was told by a semi-literate foreman that I had a future, might even be promoted if I lost my Paddy accent. They were nice, friendly and fun, superficially, but we had nothing in common. Socially elsewhere, I got laid by several girls (not all at the same time) from Hull University at parties because I was the first Irish person they had met who is not a construction worker and had an ability to discuss existentialism, Sartre, de Beauvoir and Camus with them, topics that were very important in those days. We were no different and had a great time. How would they have treated me had I been a brickie/chippie/sparks? They would not have bothered talking to me, I would have been just another Paddy. View it in context. (Paddy, what is the difference between a joist and a girder? One wrote Ulysses, the other Faust.)

In 'business' people want to learn what others know and can impart - there is no class system and no frontier when it comes to money, debate on class/ethnicity is a BS topic for sociologists and academics. If one meets a Brit of similar education/background, there are no issues. But if you meet a Brit who is less educated than you, there will be problems. There is an arrogance in those people that is hard to stomach, and it was exemplified during the Celtic Tiger when - for example – English bankers came over here with a supercilious attitude of “We will show Paddy how to do it” and lost their collective shirts. Sadly too many Paddy bankers had inferiority complexes and followed suit.

I disagree with you on a 'dismantled' Irish class system - there always was one here and it never was dismantled – the entire coda of Brehon law was based on it, everything and everybody body had a price/value. It continued long after the Brehon Codex disappeared. After ‘Surrender & Regrant’ came along a class system prevailed among the “Irish” - Do you think the various Desmonds, Fitzgeralds, Butlers, O’Neills, O’Briens, etc. were nice & friendly to their servants and tenants? In the 1800’s, 1900’s and even today the class system prevails with town looking down on country and vice-a-versa. Similarly there was a class system in “England” (let’s go with that geographic definition) even before William the Bastard came along. And after his arrival, there was a hierarchy, serf, villain, yeoman, lord of the manor, knight of the Shire, etc. It continued when the English came to Ireland with Cromwell. Snobbery, better to be the ‘First Commoner’ of the County rather than accept a ‘new’ title. And all that prevails to this day, both in England and Ireland and is important to some people. Henry Vivien Pierpont Conyngham, Viscount whatever-he-was before he inherited and became the 8th Marquess Conyngham, was viewed as an Irishman when at school in England and as such was known as ‘Boggy’ - now does that explain it?

As for Boston / Berlin and the US legal system being closed to ours than Germany’s, I suggest that the poster who wrote that try standing up in our High Court and cite a US case law precedent and see what happens (after the laughter dissolves!). Actually Delaware is about the only State that has commonality with Irish /English law, as each State has its own ‘corpus legis’ and several e.g. Louisiana has heavy overtones of the Code Napoleon.

And to those daft Spaniards the OP was on about, he should have told them what happened to the Armada sailors when they were shipwrecked on our West Coast. Those poor eejits who came here to help the Irish were, after being cast ashore, knocked on the head, throats slit and robbed of everything, including the clothes they wore.

Sorry for the long post, as Oscar W said ‘I did not have time to write a short one’

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I do report posts

MOD EDIT>>> More careful in future Jesus- This type of post can be seen as goading/ trolling.

Advertisement