Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you find a beauty book insulting?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all
    Would any of you be insulted if a friend bought you a beauty/anti-ageing tips book for Christmas? I sent one to a friend and am really surprised that she didn't phone to say thank you.
    The only thing that I can think of is that she was insulted by the book.
    In my defence: I thought the book was beautiful and would have loved one for myself, but could not afford it at the time. (It was over €30) . Also, she is actually about five years younger than me. We are both in our 40's and when together, constantly discuss our worries over ageing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

perhaps shes just been really busy or caught up? I can't see her being insulted if you both discuss the topic together... if not, perhaps, but with the situation it seems unlikely.
    Perhaps call her to check in, dont mention it and see if it comes up as a topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hi all
    Would any of you be insulted if a friend bought you a beauty/anti-ageing tips book for Christmas? I sent one to a friend and am really surprised that she didn't phone to say thank you.

are you sure she received it? Even if I was a bit put out by a present I'd still say thanks for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ive posted this here before, i'm sure, but anyway, my sister used to go on and on and on and on about wanting to lose weight. one year, her mother in law gave her a DVD called "lose the fat for life". she was incredibly insulted. in fairness to the mother in law, i think she genuinely thought it was a helpful present, i doubt there was any bitchy intent behind it, but my sister didnt see it that way.

she divorced her husband a while later, and took great delight in telling the mother in law she had lost 13 stone of useless lard!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I don't think it's something I'd buy for one of my friends,tbh.I'd probably buy it for myself,then pass it around in a " girls,you have to take a read of this" kind of way.
    Christmas was 3 weeks ago,though.Either she didn't receive it or you're right and she is insulted.As soon as I receive gifts,I text/phone/write to say thanks- basic manners ,surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

If this is something you've chatted about a few times, I'd be surprised if she was offended. Then again, in my family, my sisters often get jokingly offended if they get a number of bathsets and perfumes for Christmas ('You trying to tell me something??')

Some people do see offence where none was intended. Particularly if they were sensitive about the subject already. So I'd say it's possible she is offended, and if she is offended, now you know-or can assume- that she's a bit more self-conscious about aging than she lets on.

Agree with the advice above to call her to check in, see how her Christmas went, and see if the topic comes up. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

beauty, eh not really if the friend thought that was an interest in mine, after all we are all beautiful and sublime!

But anti aging... whaaa that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, I wouldn't get offended my friend would obviously be brainwashed in that case, no matter what you do to yourself you cant anti-age so don't get obsessed with it.

Now if a friend bought me a weight loss thing I would of been offended before but I reversed some of my brainwashing and beauty, weight, dress sense, age not such an emotional issue for me, people can think what ever they want I know whats best ;)

Advertisement