Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Former student sues LSE over its ‘gender bias’

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 si_vis_pacem

Theres major problems with those statistics given that rape and sexual assault have different standards when they are applied to men and women. Most countries won't recognise anything a woman does to a man as rape, even if the same action, when the genders are reversed, would be. Also, men are taught that sex is almost always good and desiereable and that men who don't desire sex are dysfunctional, whereas women are almost taught the opposite.

Sexual assault is a huge problem for society. But its not as gendered as argued by many feminists, nor is it a worthy prop for partiarchy theory.

Theres major problems with those statistics given that rape and sexual assault have different standards when they are applied to men and women. Most countries won't recognise anything a woman does to a man as rape, even if the same action, when the genders are reversed, would be.
    The report itself shows some pretty high rates applied to men for the broader definitions (though since I was glancing at the summary I didn't read more in-depth as to what they constituted). So I think that complaint, if you're addressing it at the report I was quotng, has been handled already really.
    Sexual assault is a huge problem for society. But its not as gendered as argued by many feminists, nor is it a worthy prop for partiarchy theory.

Probably true

Still it is a huge problem as you say, since taking from sharrow's thread:
    AT least 70% of suspects in sex offence cases are not being prosecuted by the Director of Public Prosecutions, figures obtained by the Irish Examiner have revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 si_vis_pacem

Its a criticism of those studies in general, I'm not really sure its possible to get really accurate figures on something thats so skewed by culture. Is that one in particular available online? If so could you link?

Its a criticism of those studies in general, I'm not really sure its possible to get really accurate figures on something thats so skewed by culture. Is that one in particular available online? If so could you link?

http://www.oneinfour.ie/resources/all/category/public-reports/
    and the savi one is the one i was quoting
    http://www.oneinfour.ie/content/resources/savi.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm following this case out of interest because despite spending a couple of hours going over it, I still can't tell if
    A)Tom Martin has a valid case
    and
    B)What his motivation(s) for pursuing it are.

Court date scheduled for February 14th apparently, and this article has some more background on it and might be of interest.

Advertisement