Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 learning2014

hey

Is anybody else on reserve and heard anything back from UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slt2014

Hi learning2014,

I emailed Limerick and was told that the reserve had moved 3 places.
    Hope that helps!

thanks slt2014!

Hi slt2014,

I rang limerick today to find out where I am on the list and they told me the reserve hasn't moved at all? I know it's still early days but perhaps I'm too optimistic about still being offered a place this year :(
    Fingers crossed if your on the reserve list too!

Hi learning 2014,

They told me that when I rang a couple of weeks ago too! Then I emailed Orna and she passed my mail on to Catherine who said '3 people have been offered from the reserve list.' and I asked her to confirm my place on the reserve list and she did in a second email so it has definitely moved!

I think I got an email about Catherine (who seems to be the one dealing with the reserve list) being away for a couple of weeks, but I can't find that email now, so maybe they were just told to say that...? Who knows ;P

I'm not too hopefully cause I'm a bit up the list but I've an interview for Essex in the UK at the end of April too!

• Advertisement

Ok thanks slt2014...I will get back onto them I think and see if they can confirm my place on reserve list. Good luck with Essex! :)

Ok thanks slt2014...I will get back onto them I think and see if they can confirm my place on reserve list. Good luck with Essex! :)

Hi learning2014,

I was just wondering did you hear if the reserve has moved any further? :)

Hi slt2014

I have been advised it has moved another 2 places :)

Whoo! That's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sarahka

I am currently studying chemical and pharmaceutical science in GMIT i am in my 3rd year. I have always wanted to do Speech and Language Therapy but I was never going to get enough points to do it through the undergrad. I then decided to do the pharmaceutical course but my heart has always been on Speech and Language. I am wondering what i would have to do to get into the post grad in UL. I have heard that it is very hard to get into. And what are everyone's thoughts of doing this course in the UK?? Thank you for reading this and i hope you get back to me. Sorry for rambling on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Krazylotty123

Hi all,

I got onto the course last year so if anyone has any questions you can pm me.

If it helps our year had a few people decline places for whatever reasons so there were a good few on the reserve list who I now happily call class-mates.
    One girl was halfway around the world and only found out the week we'd actually started in August!

Good luck! (And get reading...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kevaro

Hey krazylotty,

I hope the course is going well:)

I got a place for September , i was just if u remember when that pre semester reading list came out last year?

kevaro wrote: »
    Hey krazylotty,

I hope the course is going well:)

I got a place for September , i was just if u remember when that pre semester reading list came out last year?

Hi Kevaro,

Well done :) I think it came out around June but I wouldn't worry too much about specific reading lists, you learn it as you go. It might just be handy to get familiar with a few areas before you go in as the pace is so fast you'd be grateful for it come your second week!
    If you go to Caroline Bowen's website www speech-language-therapy com you'll find a wealth of info to get you started.
    Also if you just look at some basic anatomy of the face, neck and head on YouTube it'll stand to you!

Best of luck and look forward to meeting you! :)

Oh brilliant that is great ! Thanks so much for that all that advice! I've that alright that the pace is very fast! Cant wait to start though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bob_dole

Hi All!

Such a great thread, some fantastic posts, answered a lot of questions I had! Thankyou :-)

Sorry for adding to it only now, but would really love to achieve a place on the course in UL.

Only thing/fear I have is that I have s feeling I might be in a slightly different to many of the other posters here... I am in my early 30's, graduated with a 2:2 BSc degree 10 years ago, but have been working in the financial services industry since. Oh and I'm male!

The course sounds intense from the posts I've see previously, but I've never been scared of hard work especially when you know this is something you are passionate about. I'm willing to give up a permanent relatively secure job to go back to college full time and drive to/from the Leinster area to limerick every day :-)

Just wondering if anyone thinks I am mad or even too old haha to even considering giving up a permanent job?

Do many males currently work as speech therapists in Ireland? 

And can anyone tell me what the job prospects are these days once you graduate?

I've spent a few hours searching online but it seems unclear.

I'm trying to arrange some job shadowing at the moment!

Thanks so much in advance folks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Bob_dole wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone thinks I am mad or even too old haha to even considering giving up a permanent job?

I don't know anything whatsoever about the course you're interested in, but my opinion is that you're the only one that can answer that question.

Do you enjoy your current job? Obviously the fact that it's "relatively secure" is a bonus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chr15

Hi All!
    Only thing/fear I have is that I have s feeling I might be in a slightly different to many of the other posters here... I am in my early 30's, graduated with a 2:2 BSc degree 10 years ago, but have been working in the financial services industry since. Oh and I'm male!

Do many males currently work as speech therapists in Ireland? 

And can anyone tell me what the job prospects are these days once you graduate?

I'm trying to arrange some job shadowing at the moment!

If it's what you really want to do then no, you are not mad to pursue it. I did a posgrad in the UK and most of my class were in there 30s or 40s, with a good few even older - although I think in UL they are probably mostly mid-late 20s.

The job prospects are pretty bleak at the moment - a lot of newly qualified SLTs are having to go abroad to get work. Having said that, if you are willing to go to to the UK you will have a better chance of getting work as you will be dysphagia trained unlike graduates from the UK (Ireland is ahead of the UK for once!)

There aren't many male SLTs in Ireland (or anywhere else as far as I know). I would imagine there are less than 20 in Ireland. It definitely doesn't put you at a disadvantage though, and the guys from my class were the first to get jobs.

The best advice I can give is to arrange job shadowing - lots of it!! It will give you a better understanding of the role of an SLT, the types of clients we work with, and hopefully will help you decide if you really want to give up your job to pursue a job in SLT. Of all the interviews i went to UL seemed to value clinical experience the most. The other 2 universities I applied to in the UK did look at that but also took more of an individuals personality and passion into account.
    I found Tallaght hospital very! helpful when I was looking for job shadowing. I was able to spend 2 separate days observing both adults and children as well as a therapist explaining a bit about what they did. The other suggestion I have for gaining experience is to volunteer with a charity that works with the type of client group you will be working with e.g. a service for those with intellectual disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bob_dole

Chr15 wrote: »
    If it's what you really want to do then no, you are not mad to pursue it. I did a posgrad in the UK and most of my class were in there 30s or 40s, with a good few even older - although I think in UL they are probably mostly mid-late 20s.

The job prospects are pretty bleak at the moment - a lot of newly qualified SLTs are having to go abroad to get work. Having said that, if you are willing to go to to the UK you will have a better chance of getting work as you will be dysphagia trained unlike graduates from the UK (Ireland is ahead of the UK for once!)

There aren't many male SLTs in Ireland (or anywhere else as far as I know). I would imagine there are less than 20 in Ireland. It definitely doesn't put you at a disadvantage though, and the guys from my class were the first to get jobs.

The best advice I can give is to arrange job shadowing - lots of it!! It will give you a better understanding of the role of an SLT, the types of clients we work with, and hopefully will help you decide if you really want to give up your job to pursue a job in SLT. Of all the interviews i went to UL seemed to value clinical experience the most. The other 2 universities I applied to in the UK did look at that but also took more of an individuals personality and passion into account.
    I found Tallaght hospital very! helpful when I was looking for job shadowing. I was able to spend 2 separate days observing both adults and children as well as a therapist explaining a bit about what they did. The other suggestion I have for gaining experience is to volunteer with a charity that works with the type of client group you will be working with e.g. a service for those with intellectual disability.

Thanks so much for your reply, it is extremely helpful. I suppose just with ties in Ireland such as a mortgage and family to consider before going ahead.

Thanks very much, I might contact Tallaght in that case and take it from there!

Thanks so much for your reply, it is extremely helpful. I suppose just with ties in Ireland such as a mortgage and family to consider before going ahead.

Thanks very much, I might contact Tallaght in that case and take it from there!

All the above posts are completely right, it is a personal choice of course. Don't let age or gender deter you; Our class currently has 33 members and yes, only 2 are male so it is unbalanced but they seem to really look forward to working in the profession and nobody has given them reason to feel otherwise. As for age, the two guys are approx early 30s & 40s in addition to half a dozen girls in their 30s and the rest mid-late 20s.

I can't say a lot for job prospects as I'm still studying and considering posts abroad but AFAIK there is an abundance of private work due to the constraints currently imposed on the public health care system .

Understandably, mortgage and family are key concerns but we have a few mammies in the class who manage to juggle all that and commute on top! It's no easy task and placements are unpaid and can literally be anywhere (Donegal to Dublin, Limerick to Longford!) and the cost of B&Bs, fuel, rent in 3 counties, etc adds up! But then it's just for 2 years so perhaps it's feasible in the long run and worth it if you think you'll enjoy it.

Get as much shadowing and experience with different populations as possible - elderly, kids, disability, autism, deaf community - anything! Best of luck :)

Hey guys ,

For anyone who is starting the Speech Therapy Msc in UL in September there has been a face book page set up! :)

Boards.ie wouldnt let me post link for some reason cos im a newish user but if you type in 'UL MSc Speech and Language Therapy 2014-2016'into facebook it should come up!

Not long now!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 wannabeslt

Hi Kevaro,

I am starting in September too..its going to fly in..scary but exciting :)
    I tried looking for that facebook page but nothing coming up?
    Regards
    wannabeslt

Heya that is great! Congrads! so sorry about that i wish i could have linked it! We'll sort u out n get u into in no worries!:) Il pm u now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SolNik

Hello!
    I will also be starting in August. Very excited!
    I was hoping to get an add-in to the facebook group too if that's possible?
    Thanks a mil!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dani_F

SolNik wrote: »
    Hello!
    I will also be starting in August. Very excited!
    I was hoping to get an add-in to the facebook group too if that's possible?
    Thanks a mil!
    :)

Hi SolNik,

Nice to meet you. I'm the admin of the group. Unfortunately Boards will not allow me to post the link as I am a new user. Try searching for the group by typing "UL MSc Speech and Language Therapy 2014-2016"
    I'll PM you the link anyway and hopefully you can find us from there.

Dani xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newbie99

Hi there,
    I am also trying to join but can't seem to find the group. Is it set to secret setting perhaps?
    Thanks a mil for setting it up & can't wait to join!

Hi Newbie,

Sorry you can't find the group. It's not set to secret, it's a closed group. It's says that with a closed group, anyone can see the group and it's members but that posts aren't public. I don't know why it's not coming up. If anyone here is a more established member of Boards maybe they can post a link to it. I can't as I'm still pretty new. I'll pm you the link to the group now.

Dani

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdoyle5

Hi,

I am starting in August in Speech and Language - trying to find that facebook group but can only seem to find last years group!

Would be great if I could get a direct link?

Thanks a mil!

jdoyle5 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am starting in August in Speech and Language - trying to find that facebook group but can only seem to find last years group!

Would be great if I could get a direct link?

Thanks a mil!

PM'd you there.

I really don't know why it's not showing up when people search for it! Sorry guys. I'm a bit technologically challenged sometimes.

If anyone else cannot find the group, just PM me and I'll forward on the link to you.
    I'll keep on working on making it more accessible in the mean time.

Looking forward to meeting you all properly soon.

Dani xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdoyle5

Thank you!

Link brought me straight to it no idea why its not coming up in searches??

Jo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Mimikins89

It's no easy task and placements are unpaid and can literally be anywhere (Donegal to Dublin, Limerick to Longford!) and the cost of B&Bs, fuel, rent in 3 counties, etc adds up!

Hi, I'm looking to apply for this course in the next few weeks and will be going to the open day at the end of the month but I had been wondering if it'd be inappropriate there to ask people publicly about the financial aspect... Just for planning to have the costs available if I was offered the place. I'm hoping you could enlighten me as to how much people tend to need per year on the course? I understand that the travel aspect is expected and that the placement is once a week and then in 5 week blocks at a time and that there will be a lot of petrol burned over the course of the 2 years, so I'm expecting that it will be high! I already looked online and through the other forums here but couldn't find any info about it other than other people saying there's no extra time to be working a job due to the courses intensive nature.
    Any help or indication as to travel costs would be really useful (and appreciated!) :)

Advertisement