Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 katie88

Is there any chance in me (a postgrad) booking Brookfield Hall? Is it just for Erasmus and undergraduate students? I like the idea of an en suite and a study area. Could anyone tell me what it's like to live there?... Any help appreciated...thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

darraghq52 wrote: »
    was looking at Courtyard and Groody, which one would be best?

Courtyard is set out like an apartment complex where you go into the main buildling and then there are corridors to different apartments. There is also no security around the perimises as far as I am aware. Groody is set out more like 3 storey 'houses' with the bottom floor as a 3 bed apartment and the second and third floor as a 6 bed. Living on the bottom floor can be noisey if your room is underneath the 6bed kitchen. Though then again, it depends on how noisey the people above you are

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tom tit tot

darraghq52 wrote: »
    was looking at Courtyard and Groody, which one would be best?

I've a friend in Courtyard and he really likes it, and I used to live in Groody myself and quite liked it (but the internet was crap). Groody's a small bit closer to campus but either one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Courtyard also gets the free shuttle bus that goes back and forth to UL every 20mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

I've a friend in Courtyard and he really likes it, and I used to live in Groody myself and quite liked it (but the internet was crap). Groody's a small bit closer to campus but either one really.

which would be better for parties and going out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 IreKK

Hello!
    I will be doing my postgrad in UL in September and I am looking for accomodation,
    I wanted on-campus (cappavilla in specific like my Erasmus studies) but they told i am on the waiting list so I should look somewhere else.

They provided me with a list with private housing (elm park, orchards etc) but I was looking to other options as well such as Groody and Brookfield.

Can anyone help with any recommendations as to which is better or if they have any other suggestions?

I am kind of lost and i don't know where to look and what to choose

IreKK wrote: »
    Hello!
    I will be doing my postgrad in UL in September and I am looking for accomodation,
    I wanted on-campus (cappavilla in specific like my Erasmus studies) but they told i am on the waiting list so I should look somewhere else.

They provided me with a list with private housing (elm park, orchards etc) but I was looking to other options as well such as Groody and Brookfield.

Can anyone help with any recommendations as to which is better or if they have any other suggestions?

Look one page back, a few replies to someone with the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hello!

I can't talk about Brookfield but Groody is very good :) the manager is friendly and you can go to her with any problems and she'll be sound about it!

Three beds are ground level and six beds are up the stairs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Hello!

Hi contact me here I have a few places left https://m.facebook.com/JCPropertyIreland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hey!
    Does anyone know if Plassey village or the other villages would do a reference to give to another landlord?

It is the only place I have lived :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Aragneer wrote: »
    Hey!
    Does anyone know if Plassey village or the other villages would do a reference to give to another landlord?

It is the only place I have lived :/

Nope, tried them earlier this week and they said that they will only write out a letter saying that you stayed in Plassey and paid the fees in full.

No references unfortunately.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just use a family friend as a reference. How's your new landlord going to know the difference? Be grand. ;) :P

It's a bit sh*tty that they won't give a reference though. Like you'd think they could just check your housekeeping inspection record and also check if you'd caused any trouble and just give one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

That is so annoying.. I have only lived on campus (the other places I have lived were shared or abroad) and I cannot get a reference from any of them so how am I meant to get a reference? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 robinstud

Hello there :)

I'm planning to do an 1-semester erasmus stay in spring in Limerick. Therefore I'm looking around for an apartment.

I'm not sure what's the better option and that's why I'm asking here. You have given a lot of good advises to the people, I hope you give me one as well.

The options are: Groody or on-campus (thought of cappavilla, but free for other suggestions)

As I heard Ireland is quite expensive with food cost and so on. Therefore I wanted to do cooking on my own whenever it's possible to do so. I don't know if there's a gap in the time table to leave campus and come back again just for cooking. That's why the idea of on-campus apartment came into my mind.

As I heard there's a bus going back to Groody but would be quite expensive when I take it a lot of times. Other apartments have free shuttle buses. But you didn't recommend Brookfield as a good option here so far, no?

Is there any possibility to rent/buy a bike there when I will stay in Groody?

Would you say the money difference between Groody and on-campus would be fair when I have the possibility to prepare meal during the break because on campus-room and I would avoid the bus costs. If so, which on-campus-apartment could you recommend me? Some info seems really good to know for recommendation when I see the last posts: I really don't need party in my apartment, outside it's okay :)

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

robinstud wrote: »

I'm planning to do an 1-semester erasmus stay in spring in Limerick. Therefore I'm looking around for an apartment.

I'm not sure what's the better option and that's why I'm asking here. You have given a lot of good advises to the people, I hope you give me one as well.

The options are: Groody or on-campus (thought of cappavilla, but free for other suggestions)

As I heard Ireland is quite expensive with food cost and so on. Therefore I wanted to do cooking on my own whenever it's possible to do so. I don't know if there's a gap in the time table to leave campus and come back again just for cooking. That's why the idea of on-campus apartment came into my mind.

As I heard there's a bus going back to Groody but would be quite expensive when I take it a lot of times. Other apartments have free shuttle buses. But you didn't recommend Brookfield as a good option here so far, no?

Would you say the money difference between Groody and on-campus would be fair when I have the possibility to prepare meal during the break because on campus-room and I would avoid the bus costs. If so, which on-campus-apartment could you recommend me? Some info seems really good to know for recommendation when I see the last posts: I really don't need party in my apartment, outside it's okay :)

Thank you in advance.

I stayed in Brookfield Hall last year and thought is was fine. The bus is regular (and free) and the apartments are nice.

Thank you in advance.

Out of all the student accomodation in the groody area (Troy, Brookfield, College Court), only Groody Student Village doesn't offer a bus. It used to take me 15-20 minutes to walk from my apartment in Groody to the library in UL, or a 7 minute cycle. There are people from Smarter Travel Limerick who sell bikes on campus, usually for €100 and then they buy it back off you at the end of the semester/year if you don't want to keep it. The UL Swap Sell page on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/685402031477510/) also has lots of people selling bikes on it throughout the semester.

I don't think paying the extra €1000+ in on campus will make up for the fact that you can go back and cook. If you have a 2 hour gap in your timetable that's more than enough to get back to Groody and cook, and then walk back into college. Or, you can do the very student thing and cook your lunch the night before and bring it into college with you in a lunch box. There are tonnes of people that do this with pasta/rice/noodles so it wouldn't seem odd at all.

Groody's manager is really helpful if there's a problem and the apartments are nice :)

I love Groody :P

Groody's manager is really helpful if there's a problem and the apartments are nice :)

I love Groody :P

Yeah, Ruth is really nice there. I came home one Sunday evening to find that the washing machine in the kitchen above us was leaking into my room and all down the walls. So, I took some photos and send them in an email to Ruth. At like 8.30 the next morning Mike was there to deal with it, and then they didn't charge me for the electricity that the dehumidifier was using the week that it was on. Sound bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lizzy25

Hi, Im hoping to go to UL in September ( LC points depending) I booked Brookfield (Off-Campus), could anyone with experience in Brookfield tell me what its like for a first year? e.g easy to make friends with others there? Is it fun there or extremely strict in regards to going out etc ? Is it a nice place to live? staff?

Thank you very much for your answers on Groody.

How often does it happen in your time-table that you have a 2 hours gap for going home to cook something?

What's about going home at night around 8/10 pm? Is it a safe way or should I better take a bus in this case?

I heard about those front facing windows (front facing bedroom) in 3-bed apartment. What's your experience with it and 3-bed apartment? Heard it's ground floor. Is it really loud at night when the people are coming home?

Wasn't successful in finding more information about Smart Travel Limerick bike-sell offers (sounds interesting with the price and the option, would like to know more about it) and wasn't able to open the facebook-link neither.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for your answers on Groody.

How often does it happen in your time-table that you have a 2 hours gap for going home to cook something?

What's about going home at night around 8/10 pm? Is it a safe way or should I better take a bus in this case?

I heard about those front facing windows in 3-bed apartment. What's your experience with it and 3-bed apartment? Heard it's ground floor. Is it really loud at night when the people are coming home?

Wasn't successful in finding more information about Smart Travel Limerick bike-sells offer and wasn't able to open the facebook-link.

It depends on the course and modules you're doing. For example, for a whole year I had one hour off on a Monday. Last year my timetable was pretty well spaced out where I would have 2-3 hours off a time. The timetable should be out around August 18th so you'll have an idea then.

I've walked back from UL to Groody at 12am, 1am at night and have had zero problems. It's well lit up along the way.

My room window faced out onto the main road, and I was about 3m away from the road altogether, though there aren't many houses where this is the case. The road would be noisey occassionally with cars with loud exhausts, but other than that I couldn't hear noise from it the majority of the time. 99% of the time I was asleep when the people above us were coming home and that never woke me. It depends on which room you have in the house as to how much you can hear. If you're in the room nearest to the stairs then you can hear people coming down the metal, the other two rooms don't hear this as much at all.

I dunno why you couldn't see the group, that's definitely the link for it. Here's an email we got about bike sales last year which was a week or two after the semester started
    http://gyazo.com/bae1f12258a56a2cb91894ed706114ba
    http://gyazo.com/12d01b8710c591f2dc364725ba34f954

Hope this helps!

Yes, it helps a lot. Thank you very much. :)

But I'm also open-minded to other opinons about the questions to Groody.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

lizzy25 wrote: »
    Hi, Im hoping to go to UL in September ( LC points depending) I booked Brookfield (Off-Campus), could anyone with experience in Brookfield tell me what its like for a first year? e.g easy to make friends with others there? Is it fun there or extremely strict in regards to going out etc ? Is it a nice place to live? staff?

I was in Brookfield this year. It can be very quiet and quite hard to get to know people (especially if you're in a two bed apartment) but the apartments themselves are nice and the staff are lovely. I never had any trouble with nights out and having house parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lizzy25

CheyK wrote: »
    I was in Brookfield this year. It can be very quiet and quite hard to get to know people (especially if you're in a two bed apartment) but the apartments themselves are nice and the staff are lovely. I never had any trouble with nights out and having house parties.

Thanks a million:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

Anyone know what the wifi is like in courtyard? 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Anyone know what the internet is like in Groody? Is it as bad as the internet in brookefield?

omara95 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the internet is like in Groody? Is it as bad as the internet in brookefield?

I've heard it's very bad, I haven't lived there so I don't know but just what I heard.

If you can get past the annoying login system that Brookfield use then it's fine. You can upgrade to faster speeds for like a tenner a month if 2mb isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

omara95 wrote: »

It's fairly crap. The only real downside to the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Can anyone help me? I'm starting third year in a few weeks and need somewhere to live for the first semester. Thing is that landlords won't take me and its getting really annoying now. I can even tell them I will have somebody for the second semester but nope, they're not interested. What should I do? I've considered lying and saying I'll be there for the full year and pretending to drop out at Christmas but I'll lose my deposit then. Dammit landlords, get your s**t together and just take me.

• Advertisement

Groody don't mind if your just staying one semester and its a great place to live, if they are full id contact courtyard and Brookfield and ask them :)

Advertisement