Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Why are you taking away the VAT from the Irish price?

It’s simple.

Take the Irish pricing of €1,129 and the US pricing including New York State sales tax (as an example) $1,087.66 (€958.78)

Price difference of €170.22

The OP was kind of blaming Apple for a 250 euros difference. To discuss whether Apple is ripping-off Irish customers it is fair to look at the price without VAT (Apple can’t be blamed for differences due to VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Apple don’t get either tax as revenue so that’s nonsense. And the New York sales tax is 8.8%.

How is it nonsense? I stated that it was around €170 cheaper to buy in the US. How is that incorrect?

When did I say that they do get the revenue?

I’m aware of what the sales tax is. Look at the figure I’ve just mentioned above. $999 + the 8.8% = $1087.66

Bob24 wrote: »
    The OP was kind of blaming Apple for a 250 euros difference. To discuss whether Apple is ripping-off Irish customers it is fair to look at the price without VAT (Apple can’t be blamed for differences due to VAT).

Yeah I just wanted to point out that the saving is still significant if you’re buying from the US. I wasn’t trying to make out that Apple are charging much more here at all.

I do see the confusion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yeah I just wanted to point out that the saving is still significant if you’re buying from the US. I wasn’t trying to make out that Apple are charging much more here at all.

Ok fair enough. Misunderstood your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Is the double tap the only gesture on the new Apple Pencil?

The presenter mentioned the Pencil would interact in different ways with different apps but did they mean the double tap would have different responses or that there will be more gestures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bought the "2018" iPad during the summer. Regret it now.

I’m the opposite. I did the same as I didn’t want to go for a Pro at the time as I knew a new one was on the way.

I thought I may regret it(although I knew at worst it was a stop gap) but I’m glad I got it as I now have no intention to get the new one due to the even higher price.

Even though I use an iPad everyday, it is mainly used for media consumption and browsing so maybe others have specific needs with the Pro.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

adox wrote: »
    I’m the opposite. I did the same as I didn’t want to go for a Pro at the time as I knew a new one was on the way.

I thought I may regret it(although I knew at worst it was a stop gap) but I’m glad I got it as I now have no intention to get the new one due to the even higher price.

Even though I use an iPad everyday, it is mainly used for media consumption and browsing so maybe others have specific needs with the Pro.

Don’t think the Pro line is aimed at users who consume content on it, it would be a waste of money for that. The normal iPad is the one you want for that job.

It’s aimed at people who create content, who use it in place of a laptop for basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

awec wrote: »
    Don’t think the Pro line is aimed at users who consume content on it, it would be a waste of money for that. The normal iPad is the one you want for that job.

It’s aimed at people who create content, who use it in place of a laptop for basic stuff.

Don’t agree with this 100%.

To consume content the 11 Pro is much nicer than the “regular” iPad: larger and better screen for similarily sized device, Face ID, better CPU/more RAM, better sound system, etc. These things all bring improvements to consumption type things like watching a movie, reading a magazine, reviewing holiday pictures, playing a fancy game, etc.

So while I agree the non-pro is aimed at customers who want a media consumption device *and value for money*, it doesn’t mean the Pro is not also meant as a media consumption device (on top of being Apple’s productivity iPad). The difference is more that it is Apple’s mid/high end media consumption device, while the regular iPad is on the low/mid end. I think there’s a market for this with consumers ready to shell out more money for a more premium media consumption experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Why are you taking away the VAT from the Irish price?

It’s simple.

Take the Irish pricing of €1,129 and the US pricing including New York State sales tax (as an example) $1,087.66 (€958.78)

Price difference of €170.22
    Apple can't change Ireland's VAT. They set their price ex VAT, and ex sales tax, it's up to the individual countries and states to add any taxes they want. The original post I responded to compared the US ex sales tax price to the Irish VAT inclusive price, and implied that Apple were to blame for the price discrepancy, and that it was all to do with exchange differences. Apple's price discrepancy is about €40, nothing too excessive. Ireland's VAT at 23% is excessive, but that's an Irish matter, not anyone else's...

Johnmb wrote: »
    Apple can't change Ireland's VAT. They set their price ex VAT, and ex sales tax, it's up to the individual countries and states to add any taxes they want. The original post I responded to compared the US ex sales tax price to the Irish VAT inclusive price, and implied that Apple were to blame for the price discrepancy, and that it was all to do with exchange differences. Apple's price discrepancy is about €40, nothing too excessive. Ireland's VAT at 23% is excessive, but that's an Irish matter, not anyone else's...

I was merely pointing out the savings that someone can make when buying it from the US. You asked me where I got the figure from, and I explained it.

There was some confusion over two completely separate points that’s all.

I don’t give a monkeys about the Irish VAT vs US sales tax debate, it’s much more important to me as a consumer to calculate the price coming out of your pocket for the product, not who gets what share of it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Is the double tap the only gesture on the new Apple Pencil?

The presenter mentioned the Pencil would interact in different ways with different apps but did they mean the double tap would have different responses or that there will be more gestures?

I can't say for sure, but maybe they meant you could use it in concert with other on screen elements, such as the on screen modifier button which they showed in the Adobe demo section?

Basically there was a floating on screen button to the left of the screen in Photoshop, which the user held with their thumb, and this allowed the Pencil to do different things. I thought it seemed a bit like using Command key on a Mac to give "right click" type of functionality to a one button mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I have been holding out for a Pro for a while now. My current iPad was the real bare bones one from last year I think. Maybe the year before.
    Anyway, now that I use it quite a bit for reading, taking notes and language learning I have been looking froward to an upgrade that I can use with the Pencil. I like to hand write notes and sketch things out.
    The real issue is that I’ll have to really pick it well because of budget.
    The ideal would be 256 celular but that comes out at 1250 or something and then the pencil on top. Maybe the 64 gig would do but I’d hate to hit the storage wall within a year. I travel regularly and feel the celular would be handy but I must look into using my phone as a hotspot as I think people do that too.
    And to top it all off, finally the mini I’ve been waiting for. My 2012 has been okay but I want it to have more horse power for music production and photo editing and transfers from my camera.
    I’d love both as I’ve been waiting for a while and although my mid 2009 MacBook Pro functions, the last couple of OSs are for newer ones only.
    Anyway, poor me. I’ll be getting something. If not the iPad then the Mac Mini.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have been holding out for a Pro for a while now. My current iPad was the real bare bones one from last year I think. Maybe the year before.
    Anyway, now that I use it quite a bit for reading, taking notes and language learning I have been looking froward to an upgrade that I can use with the Pencil. I like to hand write notes and sketch things out.
    The real issue is that I’ll have to really pick it well because of budget.
    The ideal would be 256 celular but that comes out at 1250 or something and then the pencil on top. Maybe the 64 gig would do but I’d hate to hit the storage wall within a year. I travel regularly and feel the celular would be handy but I must look into using my phone as a hotspot as I think people do that too.
    And to top it all off, finally the mini I’ve been waiting for. My 2012 has been okay but I want it to have more horse power for music production and photo editing and transfers from my camera.
    I’d love both as I’ve been waiting for a while and although my mid 2009 MacBook Pro functions, the last couple of OSs are for newer ones only.
    Anyway, poor me. I’ll be getting something. If not the iPad then the Mac Mini.

Utilize the cloud here.
    Auto sync all photos and videos to google photos and delete from the iPad itself. Frees up loads of space constantly.
    Use Dropbox for any documents or iCloud or OneDrive.

I’ve recently changed laptops and have taken on this approach. I have the very basics stored locally now. All cloud based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Redo91

Bought the "2018" iPad during the summer. Regret it now.
    I’m in a similar boat. Got the 10.5 Pro in September. To be fair it was for a course I’m doing and it was compulsory to have one for the start of the course. Mind you it’s still frustrating to see a new one be released just a few months after you get yours.

I haven’t compared the specs but I’m guessing the processor and Retina display are both upgraded. I also like the idea of edge to edge display although I do prefer Touch ID over Face ID so that’s something I guess.

Redo91 wrote: »
    I’m in a similar boat. Got the 10.5 Pro in September. To be fair it was for a course I’m doing and it was compulsory to have one for the start of the course. Mind you it’s still frustrating to see a new one be released just a few months after you get yours.

I haven’t compared the specs but I’m guessing the processor and Retina display are both upgraded. I also like the idea of edge to edge display although I do prefer Touch ID over Face ID so that’s something I guess.

To be fair, you bought an iPad in September 2018 that was released in June 2017. It shouldn’t be frustrating to see one released in late October, 16 months after the last one. I know you were in need of one at the time and couldn’t wait but anyone who could wait would have known that new ones would be coming with a little research.

Also, the 10.5” is still on sale for the same price it was first released in June 2017 at: €749

So you have haven’t really lost out much as the new one (11”) starts at €909 anyway.

The same goes for James Forde. He bought the 2018 9.7” iPad. That’s still on sale for the same price as it was back in March (€369) and it didn’t get an update either.

So there’s no reason either of you should regret your purchase really.

To be fair, you bought an iPad in September 2018 that was released in June 2017. It shouldn’t be frustrating to see one released in late October, 16 months after the last one. I know you were in need of one at the time and couldn’t wait but anyone who could wait would have known that new ones would be coming with a little research.

Also, the 10.5” is still on sale for the same price it was first released in June 2017 at: €749

So you have haven’t really lost out much as the new one (11”) starts at €909 anyway.

The same goes for James Forde. He bought the 2018 9.7” iPad. That’s still on sale for the same price as it was back in March (€369) and it didn’t get an update either.

So there’s no reason either of you should regret your purchase really.

Oh ya I knew there would be a new on the way. Just cursing my luck that this new ipad wasn’t realeased a few months earlier so it would have been an option for me.

I don’t regret the purchase as I love my pro but it’s more that the new one looks like a great piece of kit and human nature dictates I’m comparing it to mine! :P

Oh ya I knew there would be a new on the way. Just cursing my luck that this new ipad wasn’t realeased a few months earlier so it would have been an option for me.

I don’t regret the purchase as I love my pro but it’s more that the new one looks like a great piece of kit and human nature dictates I’m comparing it to mine! :P

You’d still have had to pay an extra €160 for the pleasure of that though! Which might make you feel better about it.

You’d still have had to pay an extra €160 for the pleasure of that though! Which might make you feel better about it.

Fair point. Out of curiosity are people considering this to be a significant upgrade or is it more aimed at those with the first pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 256GB 12.9".

My 2014 MacBook Air is starting to show its age, and I've been thinking about going the iPad route as a replacement. I edit a lot of photos (hobby, not profession) and the pro looks like a very capable machine - especially with the new PSD capabilities. The screen would be a massive upgrade on what I have now too.

The price is very hard to move past, though. 256GB + Pencil + Keyboard comes to €1653.

My 2014 MacBook Air is starting to show its age, and I've been thinking about going the iPad route as a replacement. I edit a lot of photos (hobby, not profession) and the pro looks like a very capable machine - especially with the new PSD capabilities. The screen would be a massive upgrade on what I have now too.

The price is very hard to move past, though. 256GB + Pencil + Keyboard comes to €1653.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjXqb_tl7jeAhVOZFAKHVpuBhkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fgifs%2Fanakin-rjLINlGpJYvvO&psig=AOvVaw0UGonjGoAUnbNPjInoJhxy&ust=1541333203374813

EDIT: Anyone know some reasons why I can't post images using links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The file system and importing files still seem a major pain the hole if you’re doing a lot of work for the price. How do you envisage your work flow on the iPad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

giphy.gif

EDIT: Anyone know some reasons why I can't post images using links?

Fixed.

It didn't work because it was a link to Google Images rather than the actual image. Google don't directly link to original images anymore due to some deal with Getty, so you have visit the site and find the image there.

Fixed.

It didn't work because it was a link to Google Images rather than the actual image. Google don't directly link to original images anymore due to some deal with Getty, so you have visit the site and find the image there.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The file system and importing files still seem a major pain the hole if you’re doing a lot of work for the price. How do you envisage your work flow on the iPad?

Yeah the file system aspect is a concern but I'm hoping it's just a matter of adjustment. I'm hoping the stuff I *need* OSX for will be in the low percentages, and for that I can just take out my Air.

With regards to workflow - for photos I don't think it'll be much different. Connect my camera to the iPad; import RAW images to Lightroom (use a shortcut to delete files from Camera Roll after they have been imported); export JPEGs to Camera Roll, sending them to iCloud Photo Library in the process. Any that need further work export to Photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Any one order the new iPad Pro? I went for 11 inch cellular 256 gig? Ordered the 31st Oct. delivery date between the 14th - 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

martin_g wrote: »
    Any one order the new iPad Pro? I went for 11 inch cellular 256 gig? Ordered the 31st Oct. delivery date between the 14th - 19th.

Oh great for you. I think I might order the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

iPad Pro and Pencil marked as dispatched! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Hi, can you download a non apple store app to the ipad or is it locked to apple only??

Considering the ipad Pro but would be important to me to have the wider access to apps. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hi, can you download a non apple store app to the ipad or is it locked to apple only??

Considering the ipad Pro but would be important to me to have the wider access to apps. Thanks

AFAIK - You can only download apps from the app store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What particular apps do you require?

Advertisement