Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

They won't release an iPad at this event, this is probably just going to be iPhones, Watch, iOS 12 and accessories(AirPower and wireless charging case for Airpods).

There will be another event in October with iPads and a new MacMini.

I can't see them releasing so many products at the same time, they're trying to target money in everyones pocket, and they know releasing too many products will limit the number of products that one person can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

They released

Two iPhones
    One watch
    Apple TV

In September 2017. Remove the Apple TV for iPad and it’s entirely possible.

There’s no way they’d have another event for iPad and Mac hardware nowadays. “Here’s our future of computing (iPad) whilst also updating the past (mac)”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

iPad Pro might make more sense to announce at this event due to back to school and college time. I'm hoping so anyway.

We seem to be getting a lot of leaks and renders the last month or so. I'm hoping this points towards an announcement sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple announced new iPads alongside new Macs as recently as last year's WWDC, so I see no reason why they wouldn't do a iPad/Mac event. Either way, new iPhones, iPad, Watch, Mac mini, and MacBook Air is too much for one event, so some of it will have to be pushed into another event in October or early next year.

in fairness they could just have a press release for the mac mini/macbook air. They're tiny - in revenue terms - compared to iPhone/iPad/Watch/TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

in fairness they could just have a press release for the mac mini/macbook air. They're tiny - in revenue terms - compared to iPhone/iPad/Watch/TV.

Mac revenue is higher than the Watch and Apple TV put together and about the same as the iPad.

No sign of it at the event. Disappointed but expected it.

Any idea when the next event could be?

iOS 12.1 references ‘iPad2018Fall’, all but confirming new iPad Pro debut next month
    Apple’s release of iOS 12.1 earlier today has already given us a peek at a new feature: Memoji syncing. In that article, I suggested that this feature would make sense with the release of new iPads with a TrueDepth camera system later this year. Currently, Memoji is only supported on the iPhone – but adding support to the iPad would mean users would want to sync their characters between each device.

Now, iOS 12.1 offers another hint at new iPad models coming this year.

Digging into assets used by the Setup app, which is the app that runs when you set up a new device, we found a new identifier for a “2018 fall” iPad. The previous version of the app only included identifiers for the 2018 iPhones. This means the app is being updated to teach users how to use the new gestures on a new model of iPad to be released this fall.

Earlier today, we reported on new evidence that landscape support for Face ID is coming. This, combined with the icon found by us earlier and the new Memoji sync feature, already served as good indication of new iPads coming soon. Now, this new identifier found in iOS 12.1 basically confirms new iPads for this year. If Apple follows their usual schedule, it means we’ll see have another event in October.

Several reports have suggested that Apple has new iPad Pro models in the works for this year. Most recently, Ming-Chi Kuo reported that the new 2018 iPad Pros will feature USB-C connectivity instead of Lightning. While some had anticipated Apple would unveil the new iPad models at its September event, that turned out not to be the case. It now seems likely that Apple will hold another event in October for new iPads and Macs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

On a side note Airpower is looking more and more unlikely

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »

Yes, I agree. If they didn't announce at the iPhone/Apple Watch event it's unlikely they would at an iPad/Macbook event.

rumour has it is that it's overheating. apple knew about it at time of announcement but were confident they could fix it in time for a release this year. they were wrong.

I don't think we'll see AirPower in its current form factor, rumour has it - again - they've started from scratch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Rew wrote: »

most references to it have been removed from their website...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It’s crazy to think Apple are working on all these products and constantly bringing cool ideas and innovative things to the market over the years. But they struggle when it comes to a wireless charger :D

What USB-C could mean for 4K external display support with the 2018 iPad Pro
    Following our discoveries of Memoji syncing and an ‘iPad2018Fall’ string in the first developer beta of iOS 12.1, developer Steve Troughton-Smith has discovered another hint at the new iPad Pro models coming this year. Within the Xcode Simulator for iOS 12.1, Smith says, is a hint potentially suggesting support for 4K external displays for this year’s iPad Pros…

Smith explains that the Xcode Simulator for iOS 12.1 adds support for a new 3,840×2160 resolution output option. This new 4K option joins the previously existing options of 640×480, 1024×768, 720p, and 1808p.

Currently, outputting from an iOS device to a 4K external display is not possible. Apple sells a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, which connects to via Lightning to existing iPhone, iPad, and iPod devices. This adapter, however, only outputs at up to 1080p resolution.

The natural inference here, then, is that the 2018 iPad Pros – which will presumably ship with iOS 12.1 – will add support to output 4K resolution to external displays.

Further, Ming-Chi Kuo has suggested that the 2018 iPad Pros will drop Lightning connectivity in favor of USB-C.

What does this mean?
    There are a few possibilities here. The one that’s most exciting to think about is that Apple could be adding support for 4K external display support to the iPad Pro this year through USB-C. This, theoretically, would mean that users could connect their iPad Pro to an external display using a single USB-C cable.

Another possibility is that Apple is planning a new dongle for existing Lightning devices that adds support for 4K output. The existing Lightning dongle is popular among education and enterprise users, so releasing an updated 4K dongle certainly isn’t out the question.

Ultimately, much of this comes with the territory of USB-C support in general. If Apple really is planning to move from Lightning to USB-C connectivity with the 2018 iPad Pros, it’s opening the device up to an entirely new world in terms of accessories – including 4K displays.

Personally, USB-C on the iPad Pro intrigues me, but I’m skeptical of just how well Apple will optimize iOS for the wide-range of accessories that support the new connection option.

What do you think of a USB-C iPad Pro? Do you see it widely expanding the capabilities of the device? Let us know down in the comments.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1042430328772673538?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1042430328772673538%7Ctwgr%5E373939313b73706563696669635f73706f7274735f616374696f6e&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F9to5mac.com%2F2018%2F09%2F19%2F4k-display-support-usb-c-ipad-pro-2018%2F

Apple is widely expected to hold an event this month to introduce new 2018 iPad Pro models, new Macs, and more. Much of this has been confirmed by evidence within the iOS 12.1 beta, which includes references to an iPad2018Fall device.

Today, sources familiar with the development of the new 2018 iPad Pro have offered additional details about the device, its features, and more.

The model codes for the Wi-Fi models of the 2018 iPad Pro will be iPad8,1, iPad8,2, iPad8,5 and iPad8,6. Meanwhile, the cellular-capable models will be iPad8,3, iPad8,4 and iPad8,7 and iPad8,8.

This means there will be two Wi-Fi models in both size options, and two LTE models in both size options.

2018 IPAD PRO DISPLAY
    The new iPad Pros will have an edge-to-edge display and will not feature a Home button, much like the iPhone. Unlike the iPhone, however, the iPad Pro will not have a notch.

Even though the new 2018 iPad Pro models will sport thinner bezels, those bezels will still be wide enough to accommodate the TrueDepth camera system necessary for Face ID.

FACE ID IN LANDSCAPE
    The 2018 iPad Pro will include Face ID with the same image signal processor as the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR. Further, we can confirm that Face ID on the new iPad Pro will work in both portrait and landscape orientations, though it won’t work upside down.

The Face ID setup process on the new iPad Pros will be very similar to the process introduced with the iPhone X. Notably, despite post-setup support for landscape Face ID, the setup process must be completed in portrait orientation.

It’s not clear if the new landscape support requires a special hardware feature, or if it can be made available to iPhones with a simple software update.

EXTERNAL DISPLAYS
    With its USB-C port, the 2018 iPad Pro will be able to output 4K HDR video to external displays. To accommodate this feature, there will be a new panel in the settings app where users will be able to control resolution, HDR, brightness and other settings for connected external displays.

NEW APPLE PENCIL
    A new version of the Apple Pencil will be released for the 2018 iPad Pro, sources tell us. The new Apple Pencil will be paired with iPad Pro by proximity, much like AirPods or HomePod. Switching between devices will be possible without connecting the Apple Pencil to the charging port. It’s unclear whether the current model of Apple Pencil will work with the new iPad.

MAGNETIC CONNECTOR
    The new iPad Pro will have a brand new connector for accessories. The Magnetic Connector will be at the back of the iPad and will allow for the connection of different accessories, such as a new version of the Smart Keyboard and other third-party accessories.

LINK - 9 to 5 Mac

APPLE A12X PROCESSOR
    We can confirm that this new iPad will have a new A12X processor, an even faster version than the A12 processor found on this year’s iPhone models. This new processor will also include an even more powerful A12X GPU, according to sources. The processor’s part number is T8027 and its codename is Vortex, as seen in earlier reports.

Hope this is happens!

With recent discoveries essentially confirming a new iPad announcement for later this month, even more details about the tablets are leaking.

Today, new details surrounding the device’s model numbers have leaked. As reported by MySmartPrice, four new model numbers were discovered from a recent MIIT certification, hinting at iPad Pros and Apple Pencil updates.

The report cautions that some of these model numbers may be for other iPad models Apple plans on releasing this fall, not just the iPad Pros. Receiving certification on September 29, 2018, the model numbers are A1876, A1980, and A1993.

Additionally, the firm spotted a Bluetooth device with model number A2051, which could be hinting at a possible Apple Pencil update.

While it’s all speculation here, Apple typically has two separate model numbers for Wi-Fi only and Wi-Fi + LTE models of the iPad. At an event expected for later this month, we’re expecting new iPad Pro models featuring a near bezel-less design, Face ID, and USB-C, along with an updated Mac lineup including a new Mac mini.

Link - 9to5 Mac

This is looking seriously impressive so far. Glad I have held off buying one for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

jenno86 wrote: »
    This is looking seriously impressive so far. Glad I have held off buying one for this!

Did you check the pricing?

I was going to buy one but refuse to based on the ridiculous price.

• Advertisement

I have ordered a 12.9in 256gb model myself. I sold my laptop a couple of months ago in anticipation of this. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

jenno86 wrote: »
    I have ordered a 12.9in 256gb model myself. I sold my laptop a couple of months ago in anticipation of this. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

It’s a fine piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 andrewmurphy

The price is ridiculous starting price in the US is $999 compared to Ireland €1,129 shocking at today's rate of exchange it's €250 more they can keep it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

The price is ridiculous starting price in the US is $999 compared to Ireland €1,129 shocking at today's rate of exchange it's €250 more they can keep it!
    Don't forget the VAT, it's not just an exchange difference. The US prices don't include sales taxes, the Irish ones do include VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Johnmb wrote: »
    Don't forget the VAT, it's not just an exchange difference. The US prices don't include sales taxes, the Irish ones do include VAT.

It’s still around €170 cheaper in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Bought the "2018" iPad during the summer. Regret it now.

Bought the "2018" iPad during the summer. Regret it now.

Which one? The 9.7” regular iPad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It’s still around €170 cheaper in the US.
    How are you working that out? €1,129 including VAT = €918 ex VAT. $999 at today's exchange rate = €880, so that's a €38 difference. That's their insurance against the exchange rate risk. It is a little excessive, but not unreasonably so. Apple can't be held responsible for sales taxes or VAT.

Johnmb wrote: »
    How are you working that out? €1,129 including VAT = €918 ex VAT. $999 at today's exchange rate = €880, so that's a €38 difference. That's their insurance against the exchange rate risk. It is a little excessive, but not unreasonably so. Apple can't be held responsible for sales taxes or VAT.

Why are you taking away the VAT from the Irish price?

It’s simple.

Take the Irish pricing of €1,129 and the US pricing including New York State sales tax (as an example) $1,087.66 (€958.78)

Price difference of €170.22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Why are you taking away the VAT from the Irish price?

It’s simple.

Take the Irish pricing of €1,129 and the US pricing including New York State sales tax (as an example) $1,087.66 (€958.78)

Price difference of €170.22

Apple don’t get either tax as revenue so that’s nonsense. And the New York sales tax is 8.8%.

Advertisement