Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

2k-6k is pretty a high demand. Best of luck to all applied! Ready for part B stage one already 💪ðŸ¼ðŸ‘®ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kamil1999

Im after completing the stage 1a assigment anyone know when will they send us results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Kamil1999 wrote: »
    Im after completing the stage 1a assigment anyone know when will they send us results ?

Probably a few weeks, they don't like to rush things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Would anyone know what type of a result would be required to achieve a good OOM number in the non verbal reasoning? is 80% approx good or would you need higher result to be near the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

thos23 wrote: »
    Would anyone know what type of a result would be required to achieve a good OOM number in the non verbal reasoning? is 80% approx good or would you need higher result to be near the top?

Is 80% a percentile score against other candidates? Based on the intake of 800 from 6000, you're looking at roughly the top 13% or thereabouts(but thats without looking at other tests, interviews etc). 80% would surely see ya through to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Kamil1999

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Is 80% a percentile score against other candidates? Based on the intake of 800 from 6000, you're looking at roughly the top 13% or thereabouts(but thats without looking at other tests, interviews etc). 80% would surely see ya through to the next stage.

But hows that grading done like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

I'm not an expert but from what I've read and heard most people will struggle to finish all of the questions in the non verbal reasoning part of the assessment. I'd say it is possible to finish them all but you would want to be very good and quick. So taking this into account 80% (roughly 19/24) would be a very high score.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Sorry, I meant 80% in the actual test, not against other candidates. Non verbal seems alot more difficult than other areas of exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

thos23 wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant 80% in the actual test, not against other candidates. Non verbal seems alot more difficult than other areas of exam.

Non verbal is actually very very easy if you know how to spot the patterns. Try an online course or something? Think it's too late for the real courses

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Does anyone know when the intake to Garda College would be for this campaign as we are only at Stage 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Does anyone know when the intake to Garda College would be for this campaign as we are only at Stage 1?

Probably see the first few going in April/May and July/Aug 2019.

Not sure if it depends on the budget or not though.

The social welfare had info sessions for the this campaign and the Sgt there from Phoenix park along with the Public jobs rep said it would be September 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Kamil1999 wrote: »

July 16th with our OOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

The social welfare had info sessions for the this campaign and the Sgt there from Phoenix park along with the Public jobs rep said it would be September 2020.

That is so far away. I hope that isn't true. It doesn't make much sense if they want accelerated recruitment?

Perhaps they have enough decent candidates to fill the 2019 classes with 1600 people from 2017 and earlier campaigns. That's what not recruiting anyone from 2018 until 2020 would imply, no? That wouldn't actually add up, as less than half of the 5000+ that apply even make it past stage 2.

That is so far away. I hope that isn't true. It doesn't make much sense if they want accelerated recruitment?

Perhaps they have enough decent candidates to fill the 2019 classes with 1600 people from 2017 and earlier campaigns. That's what not recruiting anyone from 2018 until 2020 would imply, no? That wouldn't actually add up, as less than half of the 5000+ that apply even make it past stage 2.

I thought it was strange. They said they were indeed still dealing with the 2013 panel (due to vetting). Some chaps on here said they had pals who got called from 2017. I don't know why they'd say that it would be Sep 2020 in an info session if it weren't true. I asked if someone did a great set of tests would they jump the queue and was told no. They'll still prioritise the previous years unless there is a vetting issue. Only then do you skip the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

I don't like the sound of that 2020, oh my. Here's a small piece from an article, the journal.ie that was wrote when the deadline for applications was extended. Minister Charlie Flanagan said this.

"Flanagan said successful candidates from the new campaign will be expected to enter the Garda Training College in Templemore, Co Tipperary in the second quarter of 2019."

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

In the Garda information booklet it said that the first people recruited would be in the first quarter of 2019. How fast you go through depends a lot on your results in stage 1, that mainly being the aptitude test. Consequently, they obviously hold quite a bit of importance. The higher your OOM the faster you will be through to the next stage.
    All that being said the aptitude tests only dictate how fast you progress to the next stage, and do not mean that you will get through the rest of the stages as quick. But the people with the highest OOMs will get called to interview in September.

There are plenty of free practise aptitude exams available online if you do want to do some preparation. I'm a bit apprehensive about the aptitude exams myself as I'm quite keen to progress as quickly as possible through the stages due to the length of my current work contract.

Did anyone else go to the courses on over the past few days? Found it very good and informative myself. The tutor we had was brilliant I have to say. Thought it was money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭P0dr1ck

If the intake is in 2020 then that is ****ing ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Some in templemore were told that this campaign could be in as early as January.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭P0dr1ck

userunkown wrote: »
    Some in templemore were told that this campaign could be in as early as January.
    If you ask me thats still a pretty long time, they should get their **** together, the army do the same process as well and their intake will be in September

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

P0dr1ck wrote: »
    If you ask me thats still a pretty long time, they should get their **** together, the army do the same process as well and their intake will be in September

More people go for the guards than DF, and understandably so

So we have the social welfare info sessions giving(PAS and Sgt Phoenix pk) - Sept 2020
    Minister Flanagan saying - 2nd Quarter 2019
    Students Templemore - Jan 2019
    Garda Info booklet - 1st Quarter 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

So we have the social welfare info sessions giving(PAS and Sgt Phoenix pk) - Sept 2020
    Minister Flanagan saying - 2nd Quarter 2019
    Students Templemore - Jan 2019
    Garda Info booklet - 1st Quarter 2019

Apologies, that was a mistake on my part. Garda info book said 2nd quarter of 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

How does the OOM work? Are you assigned an OOM after stage 1 results and it sticks with you for the rest of the campaign or does it change after each stage depending on your performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

pedrigo wrote: »
    How does the OOM work? Are you assigned an OOM after stage 1 results and it sticks with you for the rest of the campaign or does it change after each stage depending on your performance?

How it works is that after stage 1, if you pass you're given your OOM which is your number in line. After stage 2, that will change again depending on how you do. Stage 3 which is the interview is normally just pass or fail, and your OOM changes not on how well you do, but on how many fail the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

How is everybody finding the tests? Planning on doing mine tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Is that leaving it late?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Stage 1 is not that bad of a test, to be honest it would take a lot to **** it up. However keep an eye on all the cut off dates for the tests, you can easily lose track and put yourself out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

kellbag91 wrote: »
    Stage 1 is not that bad of a test, to be honest it would take a lot to **** it up. However keep an eye on all the cut off dates for the tests, you can easily lose track and put yourself out of the running.

I understand what you mean but I did a similar process before and scored really high on the verbal and non verbal reasoning but what let me down was the sessement. For example one question was do you see yourself as been more honest than most people, to which I answered neutral as I think most people are honest, this let me down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LukeP26

Does anyone know how report writing works or have any practice material? Thanks

Advertisement