Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 5T - reviews, specs and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Some of the sample camera shots are fairly disappointing...shame, looks really good otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pacifico wrote: »
    Some of the sample camera shots are fairly disappointing...shame, looks really good otherwise

Its interesting, I think there seems to be quite a lot of variance in quality of the reviewed handset with some pictures looking quite washed out and others quite vibrant in similar lighting conditions, i'm not sure what to make of it.
    Overall low light DOES look good even compared to the likes of the Pixel 2 which seems to be the best camera phone out there, though has clicking noise issues reported by many and doesnt have a headphone jack.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Galaxy S8 can be had for not much more on Amazon Italy - slightly smaller screen and storage but expandable with a SD card. Having said all that I will be upgrading to a 5t tomorrow from my opo 3. Before that I had a OnePlus one. I guess I just have a soft spot for oneplus phones. My wife has a S8 - brilliant camera but I prefer pure Android and funnily enough don't like the curvey edges. Also very happy to sacrifice wireless charging for a metal unibody.

Yes it would be nice to have a better camera for spontaneous shots but my wife (and her S8!) is often with me and for special occasions I use my DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

digitaldr wrote: »
    Galaxy S8 can be had for not much more on Amazon Italy - slightly smaller screen and storage but expandable with a SD card. Having said all that I will be upgrading to a 5t tomorrow from my opo 3. Before that I had a OnePlus one. I guess I just have a soft spot for oneplus phones. My wife has a S8 - brilliant camera but I prefer pure Android and funnily enough don't like the curvey edges. Also very happy to sacrifice wireless charging for a metal unibody.

Yes it would be nice to have a better camera for spontaneous shots but my wife (and her S8!) is often with me and for special occasions I use my DSLR.

Oneplus 3 is still a great phone, would you not wait until the 6 is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some more indepth reviews out today, camera appears to be the weak point of the phone disappointingly, I really wanted to buy this but I'm probably going to go for the S8 instead:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/20/16672600/oneplus-5t-smartphone-android-2017-review
    http://mashable.com/2017/11/20/oneplus-5t-review/#Vd8uSbpFDsql

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

xtal191 wrote: »
    Oneplus 3 is still a great phone, would you not wait until the 6 is out?

Screen is the most important thing for me followed and can't see the 6 having a better one although may have QHD which with my aging eyes I can't appreciate anyway and VR doesn't interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bullet1001

I just got the Oneplus 5T a few days ago. I decided on it after a lot of research into different phones, specs, plans etc. I pushed the boat out and got the 128Gb version with 8Mb of RAM for €559! I replaced a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which I have loved for the past three years!

Here are my initial thoughts after having the phone for about four days:

The good

1. It is very fast and everything is super smooth.
    2. OxygenOS is practically stock Android with a few useful tweaks. Such a joy after enduring all that annoying bloat with Samsung TouchWiz! Outside of the standard necessary apps (phone, messaging, settings etc), I haven't seen one app installed by Oneplus. That's right, not one. No duplicated apps or stuff like EverNote foisted on you (Hello, Samsung!) that you can't remove. I like their Shelf (shows recent apps, recent contacts/, notes etc.) and split screen mode.
    3. It has a slider button for Silent/Do Not/Disturb/Ringer, similar to what my iPhone 4 had! Very handy.
    4. The face unlock is really, really quick. So quick, I thought initially there was a problem with my phone, because it wouldn't lock!
    5. You will not get a bigger bang for your buck. It has similar/better specs as the main flagships at about 50-60% of the price.
    6. The screen is fantastic.
    7. The design feels premium, although not very inspired.
    8. Surprisingly, I really like where the fingerprint sensor is. I thought I wouldn't, but it's perfect for hitting with your index finger.
    9. They include a free bumper case in the box. Nice touch.
    10. It's splash proof according to what I've read, although not rated as this would have driven up costs and taken time. I hope not to test this out!
    11. It has a headphone jack, yeahh!
    12. It charges really fast.
    13. The battery lasts for ages. I reckon it will easily do 3 days under my light enough usage. It's nearly 1.6 days since I charged it to 91% and it's only at 62% now. My well looked after Note 4 battery had to recharged almost every day under similar usage. Note that I always turn my phone off at night for about 7.5 hours.
    14. The fingerprint reader is very fast and accurate, unlike the one on my Note 4.

The bad:
    1. I don't like the new 18:9 form factor on all flagships now. Compared to my Note 4, the phone is too thin to hold comfortably in portrait mode with two hand typing and too wide in landscape mode. My Note 4 was perfect both ways!
    2. No headphones in the box - they could have included a cheap set. Most people have multiple sets knocking around, but still.
    3. All reviews said the camera was not great. I'm not into taking pictures that much, so not a deal breaker for me. I've taken a few pictures so far. They look fine to my untrained eye, but some did look a little washed out in lower light (may have been my fault!). More snaps needed, but in good light, it seems fine.
    4. No SD card. Not an issue for me as I didn't fill up my 32Gb Note 4! Now that I have 128Gb, probably won't need to worry about it either.
    5. Like all phones now, battery is non-removable, which is a tad annoying. My Note 4 battery could be easily replaced without going to a repair shop. As I said above, the battery is great now, but a year or two down the line, things could be different.
    6. While very quick, the facial recognition is not very secure and it can be beaten with a picture, I've read.
    7. When typing, the virtual navigation bar (Back/Home/Overview) is very easy to hit accidentally while hitting the space bar. Very annoying and you can not hide it when typing (although, annoyingly, you can hide it when you aren't!). Luckily, I use SwiftKey, so was able to put the arrow keys between the space bar and navigation buttons, which is a lot better (although tapping the left arrow now under the space bar by mistake can move the cursor in the text!).
    8. It doesn't have Android 8 (Oreo)...yet. Coming early next year by all accounts. It's pretty buggy from what I've read, so maybe this isn't such a bad thing!
    9. Would have to add that the audio from the speaker isn't great. With headphones, it's OK and you can use the inbuilt equaliser to tweak it (or use one of the many presets, like Rock & Roll, Country etc). No equaliser with the speaker though.

Overall, I'm very happy with my 5T. It's a great phone for the money and I would recommend it to everyone, except photography buffs (who really should be using a proper camera anyway!).

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Bullet1001 wrote: »
    I just got the Oneplus 5T a few days ago. I decided on it after a lot of research into different phones, specs, plans etc. I pushed the boat out and got the 128Gb version with 8Mb of RAM for €549! I replaced a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which I have loved for the past three years!

Here are my initial thoughts after having the phone for about four days:

The good

1. It is very fast and everything is super smooth.
    2. OxygenOS is practically stock Android with a few useful tweaks. Such a joy after enduring all that annoying bloat with Samsung TouchWiz! Outside of the standard necessary apps (phone, messaging, settings etc), I haven't seen one app installed by Oneplus. That's right, not one. No duplicated apps or stuff like EverNote foisted on you (Hello, Samsung!) that you can't remove. I like their Shelf (shows recent apps, recent contacts/, notes etc.) and split screen mode.
    3. It has a slider button for Silent/Do Not/Disturb/Ringer, similar to what my iPhone 4 had!. Very handy.
    4. The face unlock is really, really quick. So quick, I thought initially there was a problem with my phone, because it wouldn't lock!
    5. You will not get a bigger bang for your buck. It has similar/better specs as the main flagships at about 50-60% of the price.
    6. The screen is fantastic.
    7. The design feels premium, although not very inspired.
    8. Surprisingly, I really like where the fingerprint sensor is. I thought I wouldn't, but it's perfect for hitting with your index finger.
    9. They include a free bumper case in the box. Nice touch.
    10. It's splash proof according to what I've read, although not rated as this would have driven up costs and taken time. I hope not to test this out!
    11. It has a headphone jack, yeahh!
    12. It charges really fast.
    13. The battery lasts for ages. I reckon it will easily do 3 days under my light enough usage. It's nearly 1.6 days since I charged it to 91% and it's only at 62% now. My well looked after Note 4 battery had to recharged almost every day under similar usage. Note that I always turn my phone off at night for about 7.5 hours.
    14. The fingerprint reader is very fast and accurate, unlike the one on my Note 4.

The bad:
    1. I don't like the new 18:9 form factor on all flagships now. Compared to my Note 4, the phone is too thin to hold comfortably in portrait mode with two hand typing and too wide in landscape mode. My Note 4 was perfect both ways!
    2. No headphones in the box - they could have included a cheap set. Most people have multiple sets knocking around, but still.
    3. All reviews said the camera was not great. I'm not into taking pictures that much so not a deal breaker for me. I've taken a few pictures so far. They look fine to my untrained eye, but some did look a little washed out in lower light (may have been my fault!). More snaps needed, but in good light, it seems fine.
    4. No SD card. Not an issue for me as I didn't fill up my 32Gb Note 4! Now that I have 128Gb, probably won't need to worry about it either.
    5. Like all phones now, battery is non-removable, which is a tad annoying. My Note 4 battery could be easily replaced without going to a repair shop. As I said above, the battery is great now, but a year or two down the line, things could be different.
    6. While very quick, the facial recognition is not very secure and it can be beaten with a picture, I've read.
    7. When typing, the virtual navigation bar (Back/Home/Overview) is very easy to hit accidentally while hitting the space bar. Very annoying and you can not hide it when typing (although, annoyingly, you can hide it when you aren't!). Luckily, I use SwiftKey, so was able to put the arrow keys between the space bar and navigation buttons, which is a lot better (although tapping the left arrow now under the space bar by mistake can move the cursor in the text!).
    8. It doesn't have Android 8 (Oreo)...yet. Coming early next year by all accounts. It's pretty buggy from what I've read, so maybe this isn't such a bad thing!

Overall, I'm very happy with my 5T. It's a great phone for the money and I would recommend it to everyone, except photography buffs (who really should be using a proper camera anyway!).

HTH.

Same for me. Very happy with it. Actually switched off Face Lock as I sometimes only wanted to check notifications and not open the phone fully.

Very happy with it!

Me again.

Just back from a trip where I took a few hundred pics and I can say the camera is perfectly fine! I also downloaded an update two days ago which said it had camera and speaker improvements, so 2 of the disadvantages I mentioned in my long post have been addressed. The speaker does indeed sound better now and the pics I took pre and post update all look good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

LOL I thought the same with the facial recognition so I tried it with someone else...yep its THAT quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ordered a 5t yesterday, moving from an iPhone 6s so interested to see what I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Ordered my one today!! Time to retire my trusty Oneplus One!!

jamesd wrote: »
    Ordered a 5t yesterday, moving from an iPhone 6s so interested to see what I think of it.

My phone is after getting lost in UPS Dublin - Oneplus need 3 - 5 days now to trace it and see what can be done so won’t have it for Xmas.

My phone is after getting lost in UPS Dublin - Oneplus need 3 - 5 days now to trace it and see what can be done so won’t have it for Xmas.

That's a sickener. Hope you get sorted out. I have a similar issue with another gadget I ordered that was promised to arrive before Christmas, but won't get it now.

Bullet1001 wrote: »
    That's a sickener. Hope you get sorted out. I have a similar issue with another gadget I ordered that was promised to arrive before Christmas, but won't get it now.

Its the 13th OnePlus phone Ive ordered in work and never had any issues but this is the first for myself and typical.

Its the 13th OnePlus phone Ive ordered in work and never had any issues but this is the first for myself and typical.

My Replacement 5t is with UPS and out for delivery hopefully today, never used an android before so I’ve been reading up and see that notifications for missed calls / texts / whatsapp messages aren’t built in and t won’t show the no of WhatsApp / texts messages without purchasing another app called nova ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My Replacement 5t is with UPS and out for delivery hopefully today, never used an android before so I’ve been reading up and see that notifications for missed calls / texts / whatsapp messages aren’t built in and t won’t show the no of WhatsApp / texts messages without purchasing another app called nova ?

Wait til you get it and see for yourself. Nova is a launcher which changes the look and feel of the homescreen and menus (it adds lots of features really). It is actually extremely good, so I'd recommend it anyway. But I don't think you'll have any issues with notifications regardless. Android is very polished these days.

I read that the impending update to Android 8 (Oreo) for the 5T will have unread badges for apps, so if you can wait a month or 2 (supposed to be out early next year), you could be sorted without having to buy Nova. I tried the free Evie launcher which also puts badges on icons. It was OK, but I didn't feel like arranging all my apps again (didn't find out about it in time!)! I honestly don't miss the badges now, even though it was a big deal for me too at first.

Thanks guys - have been moving across all from my iPhone all evening and found it painful enough, did the contacts with an iCloud export to Gmail and then the iPhone notes one by one into Evernote (over 200 of them as they wouldn't sync to Gmail)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

One thing that is extremely annoying is the quick settings in the locked screen. I checked everywhere and I couldn't find an option to disable quick settings in the locked screen.

What is the camera like? Heard mixed things about it. Debating picking one up soon.

What is the camera like? Heard mixed things about it. Debating picking one up soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R54F_dCrb1d37GrQYNPMyEIx9rviw1_p/view?usp=drivesdk

My first pic taken with it yesterday

alwald wrote: »
    One thing that is extremely annoying is the quick settings in the locked screen. I checked everywhere and I couldn't find an option to disable quick settings in the locked screen.

Was looking for the same myself and I don't think you can without affecting it in the unlocked screen.

Came across this and wondering if anyone else has - so i came from using apple and when I put on do not disturb on the phone and when non favorites tried to ring them they just got beep beep beep like an engaged tone but with android they get a ringing tone and it seems to just keep ringing.

Anyway to change this ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right I think I'm going to take the plunge on the 5T. My Vodafone smart ultra 6 has developed a serious fault, so I can't wait any longer to decide. The 5T looks good for the money. I think I'll go with the 128gb and 8gb RAM version. It seems like a no brainer for the small enough price difference. There is a white model available in a couple of days which has me tempted... it might take an age to ship though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Right I think I'm going to take the plunge on the 5T. My Vodafone smart ultra 6 has developed a serious fault, so I can't wait any longer to decide. The 5T looks good for the money. I think I'll go with the 128gb and 8gb RAM version. It seems like a no brainer for the small enough price difference. There is a white model available in a couple of days which has me tempted... it might take an age to ship though!

You will not regret the 5T, it charges from less than 10% to 100% in 1 hour :eek:.
    During the week I have a very light usage due to work and commute time so the phone lasts almost 3 days without a single charge.
    It's a great phone to have and is well worth its price, here is a referral code that will give you 20 EUR off any accessory you will buy https://oneplus.net/ie/invite#EWVTONRIHY450MT.
    I personally bought a black cover worth 20 EUR, I highly recommend their covers on the website, alternatively you can opt for an extra Dash charger for holidays/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Have a look at the Honor View 10 as an alternative

Have a look at the Honor View 10 as an alternative

I do need it asap. So can't really wait at this point. That does look good though.

Tempted to wait until tomorrow morning for the sandstone white version to come out... might go for that over black. I'll see what stock is like at least.

• Advertisement

I just ordered the sandstone white version. Looking forward to it now.

Advertisement