Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self driving buses, trains, trucks etc

Comments

Bikes put spanner in works of Dutch driverless car schemes
    Report highlights problems bicycles cause to self-driving cars’ detection systems
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/13/bikes-put-spanner-in-works-of-dutch-driverless-car-schemes

I think that we're many years away from trusting autonomous vehicles on a shared use road, on motorways or other powered vehicles only roads, then only a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

loyatemu wrote: »

They are not trackless though. Yes there is no "track" as in steel rails and sleepers, but it still only runs on a predetermined path.

A track in otherwords! I would love to know how these things would behave on icy tarmac. I imagine they would be jackknifing all over the place.

loyatemu wrote: »
    prinzeugen wrote: »
    They are not trackless though. Yes there is no "track" as in steel rails and sleepers, but it still only runs on a predetermined path.

A track in other words! I would love to know how these things would behave on icy tarmac. I imagine they would be jackknifing all over the place.
    Sounds like a great system for cities that have a large sprawl that would be prohibitively expensive to service using a conventional tram system, but unless a huge amount of investment is made in ensuring the road where it runs is kept in near perfect condition, the ride would soon deteriorate to that of a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bikes put spanner in works of Dutch driverless car schemes
    Report highlights problems bicycles cause to self-driving cars’ detection systems
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/13/bikes-put-spanner-in-works-of-dutch-driverless-car-schemes

Isn't it funny how the bikes put the spanner in, and not the idiot designers who failed to design for bikes. In Netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Isn't it funny how the bikes put the spanner in, and not the idiot designers who failed to design for bikes. In Netherlands.

It's not an idiot designer issue. Cyclists, like pedestrians, are an unpredictable variable hence the suggestions in the article to explore larger road options first.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's not an idiot designer issue. Cyclists, like pedestrians, are an unpredictable variable hence the suggestions in the article to explore larger road options first.

Cars are fairly unpredictable too, in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't think it's so much the bikes putting a spanner in it so much as the complexity and skill set required to do the task of driving has been grossly underestimated and that the general confidence in the ability to create systems that can do the task has been severely misplaced.

You can't design for bikes because the task of driving, IMO, requires general intelligence, so it's a task that is too complex for our current level of technology.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is there variables that will ultimately stop autonomous vehicles from ever using mixed use routes.

Cars are fairly unpredictable too, in my experience.
    True, but an order of magnitude less than pedestrians, they generally don't run across pedestrian crossings, cycle from footpath to cross in front of you and a thousand other actions that cars generally don't perform.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't think it's so much the bikes putting a spanner in it so much as the complexity and skill set required to do the task of driving has been grossly underestimated and that the general confidence in the ability to create systems that can do the task has been severely misplaced.

You can't design for bikes because the task of driving, IMO, requires general intelligence, so it's a task that is too complex for our current level of technology.
    For mixed use routes, I would agree, motorways on the other hand require a much lower level of "intelligence" to programme an autonomous vehicle to drive safely.

I am just stunned by how much people are paying extra for the advanced autopilot package in Teslas. They will never get an autonomous driving software update that delivers what they seem to think they will get. 2019 and Musk still hasn't had a Tesla drive coast to coast. It may be doable in a carefully orchestrated one-off, but the sell of reclining your seat and snoozing most of the way or playing with a laptop or phone most of the time is never going to be achievable in the lifetime of their cars.

If you have to have your hands on the steering wheel and be paying close attention, you might as well be the one moving the steering wheel.

cnocbui wrote: »

I'm not seeing why bikes would be a particular challenge, relative to other cars or pedestrians.

True, but an order of magnitude less than pedestrians, they generally don't run across pedestrian crossings, cycle from footpath to cross in front of you and a thousand other actions that cars generally don't perform.

No, but they do tend to make fast, dangerous manoeuvres without looking or indicating while scrolling through Instagram. Why would there be a particular difficulty with cyclists, relative to motorists and pedestrians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

No, but they do tend to make fast, dangerous manoeuvres without looking or indicating while scrolling through Instagram. Why would there be a particular difficulty with cyclists, relative to motorists and pedestrians?

Anything to do with physical size, quick manoeuvers, small turning circle, quick acceleration?

I don't know much about it, but I would have though bikes were more likely to take extreme manoeuvers, like a sharp 90 degree turn for instance, where a car can't make such a turn safely.

I'm not seeing why bikes would be a particular challenge, relative to other cars or pedestrians.

The active sensors on the autonomous vehicles need to be far more sensitive to detect and identify pedestrians & cyclists than ones that only need to identify other vehicles.

It's asking too much of the technology to make split second decisions and then change the direction of something that's probably moving at 100Kph and weighing 1-2 tonnes, based of the interpretation of what a small object is that is moving across the road 100metres ahead.

It could be a crisp packet or a cyclist, if it's a cyclist will it be safely across before reaching it, these thought processes are natural to a human, not to a computer. So my belief that autonomous vehicles will be restricted to motorways (with active transponders) will be as far as it will get for the foreseeable future is technically sound based on the abilities of AI today.

In reality, the roads would need to have compatible transponders that communicate the local topology to the vehicles onboard computers as opposed to relying on the vehicles sensors to make sense of the world around.

Anything to do with physical size, quick manoeuvers, small turning circle, quick acceleration?

I don't know much about it, but I would have though bikes were more likely to take extreme manoeuvers, like a sharp 90 degree turn for instance, where a car can't make such a turn safely.
    Maybe, but I'd have thought that cyclists would largely fall somewhere between motorists and pedestrians on all of those attributes, so I'm wondering why they are set up as 'the problem'.

Maybe, but I'd have thought that cyclists would largely fall somewhere between motorists and pedestrians on all of those attributes, so I'm wondering why they are set up as 'the problem'.
    The "problem" is for the system to keep track of multiple small objects that are detected by the sensors, identify them, predict their future motion and whether your presence and direction of motion will influence their future movements and how these movements will influence the movement of vehicles around you.

These are things humans are able to do almost without thinking.

Try designing and making sensors and software to detect them and differentiate them from background clutter. They tend to be close to the kerb making that task especially hard. Is it a kid riding down a footpath or is it on the road? Is it one bike, two, three? Is one faster than the other and likely to imminently pull out and go around the others? Bicycles and pedestrians in general are very hard to detect, classify and predict for.

Great to see the ostriches alive and well on this thread

Depends on what you mean by ostriches?

Are they those who believe that technology will overcome all or is the more realistically thinking people who see the utilisation of autonomous vehicles being limited to controlled environments.

• Advertisement

Great to see the lemmings are as oblivious to reality as Teslas are to large stationary things in front of them...

Totaled-Tesla.jpg
    I walked away from this crash last night and am so thankful for the safety of Tesla cars. However, I am a little disappointed to learn that its autopilot feature is unable to identify a stationary construction vehicle.
    The person is a Professor of Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

"And then I said:

'Your cars will be driving by themselves in 2020, and Space X will be taking people on holidays to Mars by 2025!'"

MW-CZ625_elonmu_20141119142911_ZH.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just like human drivers can't drive in all conditions.

Just like human drivers can't drive in all conditions.

Exactly. All these claims that AI and self driving trains, cars etc would be safer is bollox.

And they are programmed by humans. The X-Files did a good episode on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Exactly. All these claims that AI and self driving trains, cars etc would be safer is bollox.

The point I was making is that self driving cars won't be able to drive in all conditions but neither can humans. That doesn't mean self driving cars will fail or that they won't be safer than human drivers.

Being programmed by humans also doesn't mean it can't out perform a human. Alpha go was programmed by humans and it has beaten the best humans at go. Watson was programmed by humans and it beat the best jeopardy contestants at jeopardy.

Alpha go used neural networks to program itself, so it wasn't really programmed by humans. One major problem with this approach is that humans can't troubleshoot such systems if things go wrong as there is no way to know how they work, let alone what went wrong. It's called the black box problem. If you deploy autonomous vehicles which were neural network trained, and then mysteriously some of them start causing fatal crashes, you can't troubleshoot the code to try and find out what went wrong as humans didn't write the code, or more correctly, craft the algorithm. Probably unlikely but it is worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The point I was making is that self driving cars won't be able to drive in all conditions but neither can humans.

No, they are clearly talking about conditions that are driveable in by humans but not by AI. They are not talking about conditions that are undriveable in by humans.
    That doesn't mean self driving cars will fail or that they won't be safer than human drivers.

Nobody suggested self driving cars could never be safer than human drivers in any specified conditions. I don't mean to come across as impolite but you're really not making any point here.

Self driving trains are real and there are several driverless rail networks around the world, in controlled environments where the "system" is separated from humans, autonomous systems are perfectly safe.

Flying is another form of transport that can be automated without too much difficulty, the pilot is totally dependent on the instruments anyway.

• Advertisement

Classic Daily Mail type of story, all about the locals wanting to scupper the vehicles.

But in the middle there's this:
    Autonomy always will have some constraints,' John Krafcik, head of the self-driving car unit of Google parent company Alphabet.

Police in Arizona have recorded 21 incidents in the past two years concerning vigilante citizens who have cast rocks, pointed guns at and slashed the tires of Waymo's autonomous vans

'It's really, really hard,' Krafcik said.
    'You don't know what you don't know until you're actually in there and trying to do things.'
    While self driving cars may not become widespread soon, Krafcik said trucking is one area where self-driving vehicles could appear, due to a shortage of drivers.
    'The trucking shortage is now,' Krafcik said.
    'Moving goods on freeways to hub to hub is fairly straightforward.'

As I have said multiple times before, on motorways autonomous vehicles will work.

Advertisement