Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7 Plus €399

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ah right. I get you now. Yeah bit of a backward step changing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

mx5ire wrote: »
    not really - i suppose my gripe is not the DND piece, its that i just want to turn down the ring volume with the volume keys (as normal) - right now it turns down the media volume only. It should only do that when you are playing media, music etc. That's how most phones work, i.e. volume is context sensitive to what you are doing.

That's an on purpose change in Android 9.
    I remember seeing it during I/O earlier in the year!
    Most of the time when looking to change volume, it's the media volume that people want to change.
    The default is now media volume as a result.
    I love it personally, but I do agree it should be user editable, and I can't find a way to change it!

When you use the volume rocker, press on the cog to be able to change other volumes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

marcbrophy wrote: »
    not really - i suppose my gripe is not the DND piece, its that i just want to turn down the ring volume with the volume keys (as normal) - right now it turns down the media volume only. It should only do that when you are playing media, music etc. That's how most phones work, i.e. volume is context sensitive to what you are doing.

That's an on purpose change in Android 9.
    I remember seeing it during I/O earlier in the year!
    Most of the time when looking to change volume, it's the media volume that people want to change.
    The default is now media volume as a result.
    I love it personally, but I do agree it should be user editable, and I can't find a way to change it!

When you use the volume rocker, press on the cog to be able to change other volumes! :)
    As a software person, when i see / experience 'new' software requiring multiple clicks/presses to change what was once a single click/press it is absolutely maddening - and is something that should have the software designer flogged. Context sensitive operation of the volume keys (as most phones currently use) is perfect, when not playing media the ring volume is adjusted, when playing media the media volume is adjusted. Dont fix what isnt broken.

As a software person, when i see / experience 'new' software requiring multiple clicks/presses to change what was once a single click/press it is absolutely maddening - and is something that should have the software designer flogged. Context sensitive operation of the volume keys (as most phones currently use) is perfect, when not playing media the ring volume is adjusted, when playing media the media volume is adjusted. Dont fix what isnt broken.

For me, I always attempt to lower the volume before playing a video. Pressing on the rocker always brought the call volume up, and I'd need to change the media volume separately. Now the media volume changes, which is exactly what I want it to do, and if I want to go to silent, I can just press on the little bell at the top to switch between silent, DND and normal.

It's still contextual, so when you are in a call, or on loudspeaker, it does what you'd expect, but in the general operation, they had data that suggested most people want to change media volume, rather than call volume :)

One thing I've noticed since updating to Pie, if I stick the phone on to charge it shows "x amount since last full charge" when that is when I've only put it on to charge and its only at say 80% so far.

Is this the same for anybody else ? Small thing I know but strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

update today that made all my app icons square.

update today that made all my app icons square.

Press and hold on a empty space on the homescreen, press on Home Settings, then 2nd from the bottom is Change icon shape.

There's s few different ones in there to try out :)

cool, it works in Nova too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Nova also reshapes the icons that won't reshape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Since the Pie update my Fitbit Charge 2 won't sync, slightly annoying, wish Fitbit would get there act together.

• Advertisement

I know people were annoyed with the volume adjustments since pie (possibly before that) but I was watching a video on facebook this morning and adjusted the volume and it showed 2 sliders side by side. First time. Has anybody had this on theirs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Since the Pie update my Fitbit Charge 2 won't sync, slightly annoying, wish Fitbit would get there act together.

Having smart issue with my Garmin forerunner

GBX wrote: »
    I know people were annoyed with the volume adjustments since pie (possibly before that) but I was watching a video on facebook this morning and adjusted the volume and it showed 2 sliders side by side. First time. Has anybody had this on theirs ?

I saw 2 sliders when I was casting!
    1 for the cast volume, and 1 for the local media volume :)

October security patch just popped up on the phone there

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

So with the new security patch for October i got 2 square icons, Settings and Play Store. 

However, more importantly - the double tap and glance screen functionality are both no longer functioning. Cannot find them in Settings either....

EDIT: -- Just restarted the phone twice and both functions are now operational again - odd.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

eddiem74 wrote: »

I had the same, fitbit now updated to an 30 October version and so far it seams no longer to loose connection frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

When I turn on Bluetooth the icon doesn't show in the status bar.

ofcork wrote: »
    When I turn on Bluetooth the icon doesn't show in the status bar.

when it's connected it does. It's by design in Android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Mines connected to my watch but no Bluetooth icon appears?

• Advertisement

iggy wrote: »
    Mines connected to my watch but no Bluetooth icon appears?

Same here, it doesn't show up if it's connected to my watch, but it shows if I connect to BT speakers or headphones!

I'm sure it's by design, if it's connected all day, why not hide the symbol and give more space for those wonderful notches in all the phones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I had the same, fitbit now updated to an 30 October version and so far it seams no longer to loose connection frequently.

Still not able to connect for me... How hard can it be.

It was there previously half the time I forget to turn bit off now.

It was there previously half the time I forget to turn bit off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Got this phone yesterday. Coming from a Nexus 6P, I'm very impressed for the price. I got the google camera app though and it seems a big improvement over the built in app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I'm 95+% decided on ordering a Nokia 7 Plus in the next week or two (will wait to see if there are any Black Friday offers), before doing so is there anything else I should be considering for a similar price, I've been following this thread for a good while but thought I'd ask to see if I've missed anything.

I want a good camera (reason I'm upgrading is current camera is poor) NFC is a must, I only want to buy from one of the networks, I'm on Eir so must be unlocked or on that network.

Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I'm 95+% decided on ordering a Nokia 7 Plus in the next week or two (will wait to see if there are any Black Friday offers), before doing so is there anything else I should be considering for a similar price, I've been following this thread for a good while but thought I'd ask to see if I've missed anything.

I want a good camera (reason I'm upgrading is current camera is poor) NFC is a must, I only want to buy from one of the networks, I'm on Eir so must be unlocked or on that network.

Any advice appreciated.

Well mine is very unresponsive this morning. Have it about 6 months. I'm sure there is better available for the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭breeno

I bought this at release and it's served reasonably well but you would get far more phone - especially camera tech - elsewhere for the similar budget these days. I'm looking to change again shortly as the camera just isn't snapping clear enough photos. Other aspects like battery life and quick updates are fantastic I must say. Just me two cents!

I was under the impression from comments here & reviews on YouTube that the camera was good for the money ?

Camera is very good. I love it. Have had worse. Good for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

where is the best place to buy the nokia 7 plus?

i want it for my wife.

vodafone has them on their website, but their chat told me that the device would be simlocked if i buy from them.

price was like 319 euro.

its on this website for a price of 284
    https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/nokia-7-plus-4gb-64gb-dual-sim-black.html#qna

is that a thrustworthy website? does their model include a uk or eu charger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

According to VF advert on TV, all their phones are now SIM free.

I got mine around September from VF and it is simply free.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    According to VF advert on TV, all their phones are now SIM free.

I got mine around September from VF and it is simply free.

did you buy it from a local branch or did you order from the website?

hm... but now i'm not confident about vodafone :/ dont wanna risk buying a simlocked device... probably gonna call up a local vf shop and ask if they have them in stock.

Got mine back in May, sim free.
    From a VF shop as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

murfilein wrote:
    did you buy it from a local branch or did you order from the website?

Online.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Online.

what did you choose when it asks you if your already a vodafone customer?

i just called a local store and chatted again on the website, both the lady from the shop and the online representative told me that the phone would 100% be simlocked.

Look, take it from the people who have bought them in the past, these phones are not sim locked.

What network are you looking to use anyway?

Three now selling them for €299 PAYG.

I bought mine from eglobal back in May. It's the Malay/HK version of the phone with Dual SIM.

Great piece of kit :)

Look, take it from the people who have bought them in the past, these phones are not sim locked.

What network are you looking to use anyway?

Three now selling them for €299 PAYG.

I bought mine from eglobal back in May. It's the Malay/HK version of the phone with Dual SIM.

Great piece of kit :)

im on tesco and i want to stay there.

is it the same with three? do i choose "new customer" and i'll get an unlocked device? i assume it will come with a three sim anway.

/edit:

chatted with 3, this is what the representative says:

"murfilein, the Nokia 7 Plus that we sell is locked to Three network only."

and:

"You can get the phone unlocked after the total of top up reaches to €100.00"

People have bought these from VF, popped an eir/3/whoever sim in and went on their merry way.
    Same story with 3

Tazzimus wrote: »
    People have bought these from VF, popped an eir/3/whoever sim in and went on their merry way.
    Same story with 3

sound

i still ordered from vodafone, as their representative here on boards assured me that this particular phone is sold unlocked.

They are all sold unlocked :)

• Advertisement

They are all sold unlocked :)

hope my wife will be happy with the phone :)

i saw the eglobal website but it looks somewhat fishy... great price but i dont know man...
    have read a couple not-so-funny stories about them.

i'll happily pay a bit more for peace of mind and definitely getting a uk charger, haha.

murfilein wrote: »
    hope my wife will be happy with the phone :)

i saw the eglobal website but it looks somewhat fishy... great price but i dont know man...
    have read a couple not-so-funny stories about them.

i'll happily pay a bit more for peace of mind and definitely getting a uk charger, haha.

I'm sure she will be! :)

Just for any one thinking of buying this phone have a read of this https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/3404/nokia-7-plus-continuously-hangs-device-unusable-until-locked-and-unlocked-again

Have the phone 6 months now and this still happens and I'm not the only one. Avoid is my advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you are concerned about the phone being locked, than why not order it online for home delivery or store pickup and than if it is locked (against what others experience) you can use your 14 day return right to give it back.

FYI for anyone thinking of buying from Vodafone:

This Black Friday FREE Google Home Mini worth €59 plus €40 off on selected phones when you switch to Vodafone Pay As You Go.

(offer ends in 10 days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Just for any one thinking of buying this phone have a read of this https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/3404/nokia-7-plus-continuously-hangs-device-unusable-until-locked-and-unlocked-again

Have the phone 6 months now and this still happens and I'm not the only one. Avoid is my advice

Happening mine every day

Happening mine every day

Same with me. Will keep it until I have it a year and then never buying Nokia again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Happening mine every day

Same with me. Will keep it until I have it a year and then never buying Nokia again
    My small fellas is ok for now,only problem is it sometimes doesn't fast charge

Is he using it as well or leaving it there to charge?

I must be one of the lucky ones that don't have any issues with my phone.

• Advertisement

The only issue I have is Bluetooth turns on during the night.

Advertisement