Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I sell a Shetland 16ft for ?

Options
  • 26-08-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I have a Shetland 16ft boat sitting in my sisters garden for the last 4 years.
    A friends father owned it. When he died the friend gave it to me after he moved to Australia.
    Ive never used it and its sitting in my sisters garden ever since. I never got round to doing it up or anything. She wants me to get rid of it.

Anyone know how much I should advertise it for?

I'll take some pictures when I get the chance.
    Looks a bit like this one, but dirtier :)

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/shetland-535-boat-for-sale-6865.html

Basically its a Shetland 16ft boat with 25hp mariner engine and a trailer.
    Ive never started the engine as i dont know how to, but this boat was going up and down the Shannon in 2015 and was taken straight out of their and parked in the sis garden.

Also it needs paining now as the paint is flaking opff in places and the boat is full of water from rain on the inside which I must drain out.
    The windows are gone all opaque too. It does need work cleaning, replacing widows and carpet which is soaked and probably maintenance on the engine. I was planning on learning how to do all this and doing it up, but never got round to and im now out of time with the sis :)

Anyone have a ballpark of how much I should advertise this for? Also my sis has someone who walked in a few weeks ago and asked was it for sale. He left hi number but i havent called him yet.

Im just looking for a number as I have no idea.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Post a few pictures of boat, internal & external.
    Engine & trailer
    + what area boat is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Made a deal with my sister.
    I can keep the boat in her garden / field until Christmas :)
    Shes going to be in Majorca until then.
    And I might have somewhere to move it after that.

So im going to have a go at doing it up myself, whenever I can get down to it. Its in Waterford and Im in Dublin, so might be seldom enough. Total novice here. Can anyone help me with these questions.

What type of paint I need to paint the outside and inside of it?
    Also what can remove paint and moss from the rubber around the windows?
    And the perspex windows are all foggy from the UV light. I heard you can get some chemical that will restore them?

Thanks guys.
    I'll get some pics when im down there next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

first power wash it then you need marine paint

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

JimmyVik wrote: »

What type of paint I need to paint the outside and inside of it?
    Also what can remove paint and moss from the rubber around the windows?
    And the perspex windows are all foggy from the UV light. I heard you can get some chemical that will restore them?

Thanks guys.
    I'll get some pics when im down there next.

There are two sticky's above on restoring boats both mine and dnme that should answer most of your questions as for your windows I would say replace the perspex as it's a lot of work trying to buff them out and they probably have lots of small cracks in them, should be an easy job to replace on something like a shetland and these will have what you need and will cut to size https://www.365plastics.ie/plastic-sheets/acrylic-perspex-sheets.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy9Wgxcf86wIVwuntCh1E1APcEAAYASAAEgJnuPD_BwE The rubbers should clean up with a bit of soapy water and elbow grease if they are also cracked might be also worth replacing you should be able to get it here https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Advertisement