Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 Cigarettes from €9 to €15 in the next six years

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

charlemont wrote: »
    I'v often said it but the best solution is to blow the whole planet up, That way nobody can do anything the Holy Joe's get offended about. ;)

You're welcome to blow your own planet up.

I live on this one, and I'd like my kids to have as much clean air (and as few explosions) as possible.

Tanks a tousand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Biggins wrote: »
    It seems that the cigs might just be getting even more expensive in the years to come.
    I'm not all that worried, but I'll miss the brands i smoke now. I'll miss them, as I'll be getting my tobacco from elsewhere.

Fun fact for today; which will be more profitable for the dealers; tobacco or drugs, esp as the former is more addictive than the latter.

Extra fun fact; smokers will still need doctors, but there won't be any tax money to keep the doctors paid...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This sounds very much like a revenue raising exercise. If they genuinely wanted the shock value then they would make the increase all in one year. By raising the price incrementally year after year they are reducing the impact of the increases. As a former smoker I know I could have justified continuing to smoke after a €1 increase, and then possibly done the same the next year and so on, but with a single big increase €9 to €15 I would have dropped them straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Was in Gatwick Airport a few years back just mooching around and waiting

Some of the cartons of cigarettes had a photo of a mans neck, it was just disturbing to look at, or maybe I'm just squeamish
    I'm not sure how to describe it but I'd imagine many of you carton buyers have seen it

Years later I still remember it

Maybe James Reilly should look at that as a tool instead of the price

It's been somewhat proven that is merely serves to desensitize smokers, especially in a state of withdrawal. It might work as a deterrent, though.
    Mind, I've not met anyone who started smoking by just strolling into a shop and buying a pack, it's generally a build-up from casual use to get to
    that point.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hbm.21293/abstract

On the brightside, if you are an aspirant crime-scene investigator and a smoker, you might just be in luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This thread is going in the wrong direction for this forum & I can't see it adding any further value.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement