Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 Cigarettes from €9 to €15 in the next six years

Options
  • 15-07-2012 2:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭

It seems that the cigs might just be getting even more expensive in the years to come.

From The Sunday Times (England)
    JAMES REILLY wants to step up his campaign against smoking by increasing the price of 20 cigarettes from €9 to €15 in the next six years.

The health minister made the proposal to Michael Noonan, the minister for finance, in the run-up to the last budget as a “shock value” tactic to reduce the number of smokers in Ireland. The Department of Finance opposed the plan on the basis that it would increase cigarette smuggling, pointing out the state is already losing €250m a year in revenue to the illicit tobacco trade.
    Link: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1081790.ece
    “I am proposing, therefore, an increase of €1 on a pack of 20 cigarettes (an 11.5% increase) for 2012. In addition, I am proposing an increase of €0.80 on a pouch of tobacco sufficient to make 25 cigarettes (19% increase).

“In addition to the increase for 2012, I propose that an annual increase in the order of €1 be applied for the next five years to the price of cigarettes and roll-your-own tobacco.

“This would send a strong public-health message to all smokers, whereas a once-off annual increase would not be as effective as a ‘shock value’ tactic. I hope you will give strong consideration to the changes in excise duties as outlined above.”

Non-smoker myself - so I'm neutral on the expense, won't effect me.
    However will smokers be up in arms about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It'll only drive more smokers to black-market under-the-table dealers

Yes it will. Don't lie to yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

No, smokers will always find money for cigarettes, hopefully they'll increase childrens allowance accordingly to minimise the net increase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

It will be great for Ryanair,everyone off to Spain or eastern Europe.
    Don't smoke myself but the missis and a few of my mates have tried many times to quit and they say it is unbelievably hard as it's so addictive, I sympathise with them but I know if they increase the prices they will source it elsewhere easily and the tax take will take a huge hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Ex smoker here, so glad i gave them up, I get to spend my money on lube and condom's now !!!

I do however know a lot of smokers who use the black market, and i suspect it will always be this way as long as the price increases ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think increasing it will reach a tipping point where it will drive masses to buy cigarettes on the black market, so now the exchequer wont even be able to offset all the smoking-related diseases the taxpayer has to pay for with taxes raised from the sale of cigarettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Biggins wrote: »
    It seems that the cigs might just be getting even more expensive in the years to come.

Link does not work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its more of the same tried tested and failed policies, A believe that increasing taxes and/or creating more laws will change peoples habits. The Tobacco smugglers will be rubbing their hands with glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Non-smoker so it won't affect me, silly idea though really, it's an obvious attempt to gouge people for revenue which will simply lead to people getting cigarettes from alternate channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

People will just start purchasing foreign fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I don't like the idea, but it is a good thing for them, if they make the switch to ecigs, or go cold turkey.

If they don't, they'll be destitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It will happen.

I remember buying a 10 box of fags in 1992 for £1.25.

Too lazy to do the math.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The smuggling and illegal sale issue is the only valid viewpoint in this case. The health freaks will never stop the use and enjoyment of tobacco products.

What do you want? You're government running things or the gangsters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hootanany wrote: »
    Link does not work

Strange - works for me.
    Others will need a subscription however to see the full article.

Part screengrab: http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3536/timess.jpg

The whole article cannot be posted for legal copyright reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The health freaks will never stop the use and enjoyment of tobacco products.

Do people really enjoy smoking? I don't think I've ever met anybody who smokes because they enjoy it; they smoke because they're addicted.

Rather than increasing the price, the government should make cigarettes available via prescription only. Treat smoking not like some sort of enjoyable leisure activity, but like the serious health problem it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Anyone know when minister James Reilly is going to start his anti cream cake campaign? When is he gonna whack a 150% tax on pies? Obesity is a timebomb across Europe y'know!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

RayM wrote: »
    the government should make cigarettes available via prescription only.

Seriously? Thats your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Anyone know when minister James Reilly is going to start his anti cream cake campaign? When is he gonna whack a 150% tax on pies? Obesity is a timebomb across Europe y'know!
    He seems to be fond of cream cakes himself.
    http://files.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/90249290.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The thing I don't get is why most smokers don't already just go on holiday to get cigarettes.
    Even if you went to a country at the higher price side where a 20 pack costs 4 quid you would only need to pick up 2k fags to save 500 euro compared to the price here. That would pay for everything for an ok holiday.
    There aren't any real limits on how many cigarettes you can bring from other EU countries. They will sometimes ask questions if you bring more than a few thousand but aslong as you don't go overboard and they are all the same brand you should be alright.

If this came to pass it would be insane to smoke without going on holiday once or twice a year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

RayM wrote: »
    Do people really enjoy smoking? I don't think I've ever met anybody who smokes because they enjoy it; they smoke because they're addicted.
    Well meet one here. Hello, how do you do?
    If you like I can introduce you quite a few others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

It'll only drive more smokers to black-market under-the-table dealers

Yes it will. Don't lie to yourselves.

Absolutely, it will kill off tax brought in completely and make millions for the dodgy importers. The ease with which they can be gotten everywhere for a few euro a box now should be enough to convince the government that raising the cost is counter productive at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Another person who enjoys smoking here. Nearly all of my friends now buy tobacco and roll their own because cigarettes are gone too pricey. I was offered a cigarette on a night out recently and turned it down because I prefer tobacco now. Even with the price increase in tobacco pouches, I'd say there'll be a lot more people turning to rolling their own as you can get more out of a pouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

It's just going to push the black market into overload, I don't smoke, buy my mate was smoking the knock off kind, she insisted they were the same, after a few months of smoking them and more frequent pains in her chest she's switched to tobacco, amber leaf I think.

If that's happening to her after a few months im sure the a&e will have a huge influx of people with fake smokes issues when/if the price is bumped up.

What she was smoking wasn't just stuff that made it past customs after a mass purchase abroad, it was knock off cigarettes, without the regulations so I can just imagine what's in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Better hire a few hundred customs officers so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

Biggins wrote: »

more increases will do more harm than good as people will stop buying ciggies in shops (tax revenue) and buy off tobbaco smugglers instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Was in Gatwick Airport a few years back just mooching around and waiting

Some of the cartons of cigarettes had a photo of a mans neck, it was just disturbing to look at, or maybe I'm just squeamish
    I'm not sure how to describe it but I'd imagine many of you carton buyers have seen it

Years later I still remember it

Maybe James Reilly should look at that as a tool instead of the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

I gave up smoking as I refused to pay over 5 pounds at the time for them.

It's one of the hardest things to give up and I think people will always find a way to pay for them.

You can only give up if you really, really want to, then it's not too hard as your heart is in it. Of course now I'm addicted to sugar:o:D

Mind you, I would refuse to pay €5 for a bar of chocolate/sweets. Maybe they should have a sugar tax, less diabetes etc, lay off the smokers for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Absolute stupidity. Others have correctly (stated) smuggling will increase so I don't have to get into that.

I also oppose it from the point of view of civil liberties- I do believe tax on cigarettes should cover associated illnesses, but it already does that, so increasing it further is just unfair on smokers.

I also oppose it because it is not about protecting smokers it's just about picking an easy target and trying to squeeze every penny out of them.

The last thing that pisses me off is that every fúcking health minister thinks that by "tackling" smoking they are making some big statement of intent about public health. They are not. Smokers have been an easy target for years now and it is time they stopped being persecuted. There are other public health issues but ministers seem to concentrate the big campaigns on smoking at the expense of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Piste wrote: »
    I think increasing it will reach a tipping point where it will drive masses to buy cigarettes on the black market, so now the exchequer wont even be able to offset all the smoking-related diseases the taxpayer has to pay for with taxes raised from the sale of cigarettes.

Studies have shown that the extra health costs associated with obesity and smoking-related illness are offset in the long-run by these patients not living long. Turns out, healthy people becoming old and unhealthy is the real healthcare expense. The economic argument against smokers is weak. (Note, I am neither a smoker nor a fatty, but this argument gets brought up a lot and it's hard to support)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Studies have shown that the extra health costs associated with obesity and smoking-related illness are offset in the long-run by these patients not living long. Turns out, healthy people becoming old and unhealthy is the real healthcare expense. The economic argument against smokers is weak. (Note, I am neither a smoker nor a fatty, but this argument gets brought up a lot and it's hard to support)

Authoritative sources please.

Here's where you can find some relevant citations, in the unlikely event that you're tempted to cite the Daily Mail or Telegraph.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I wasn't aware healthy people were ultimately a bigger healthcare expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bfocusd wrote: »
    It's just going to push the black market into overload, I don't smoke, buy my mate was smoking the knock off kind, she insisted they were the same, after a few months of smoking them and more frequent pains in her chest she's switched to tobacco, amber leaf I think.

If that's happening to her after a few months im sure the a&e will have a huge influx of people with fake smokes issues when/if the price is bumped up.

What she was smoking wasn't just stuff that made it past customs after a mass purchase abroad, it was knock off cigarettes, without the regulations so I can just imagine what's in them
    That's a myth that's going around the black cigarettes are bad for your health so you should stick to the high tax ones they won't affect your health:rolleyes: I wonder who started that myth ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement