Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest Whiskey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Midleton rare....mmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh by the way, the Suntory Hibiki 17 is the very whiskey in Lost in Translation, in case you ever wanted to taste what Bill Murray's character was promoting. It's really, really good.

Little bit of film history for you, but the reason they went with Suntory in the movie was that Sofia Coppola's father, Francis Ford Coppola did ads for Suntory with Akira Kurosawa back in the 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I like Middleton very rare

Or Jameson Created Ten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Bushmills. Always have a bottle in the house. I get Jameson in for the hot whiskey season. Oh speaking of which, I have to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I also agree with a couple of previous posters, Paddys Whiskey tastes like something You would clean a hospital with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Teeling's simply one of the nicest Irish I've had the pleasure of sipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

They all taste like fire to me.

It's the turf. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Duff wrote: »
    Powers is rough as a badgers hole. It's like a time machine to tomorrow.

Most Powers, yes.

John's Lane is a fantastic whiskey. Jim Murray spoke very highly of it in the whiskey bible a year or two ago.

Best Whiskey I've had recently is Green Spot Bordeaux wine cask finish.

Notable mentions to Yellow spot, regular Green Spot, Tullamore Dew Phoenix and Knappogue Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

John Daniels.
    Jack Daniels single Barrel. Tasty

He may be Jack to your son, but when you've known him as long as I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Middleton...

Mrs treated me to a bottle of this a few years ago...

Superb taste...but not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Not much of a whiskey drinker but had a bottle of Tullamore Dew a while ago and it was lovely for entry level stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

empacher wrote: »
    im quite partial to redbreast 12 year old myself, so damn smooth

I went off the booze about 12 years ago, but I sampled some Redbreast on a night out recently & found it an incredibly smooth & tasty tipple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Glenfiddich single malt is really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I quite like Glenmorangie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Links234 wrote: »
    Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt 17 year old has been voted the world's best blended whiskey, never tried it, but going by Nikka's other whiskies I'm sure it is. Nikka's Coffee Grain and Nikka From The Barrel are amazing, and not too expensive, I'd highly recommend them. My personal favourite ever is the Suntory Hibiki 17 year old, it's a blend that's been part matured in Japanese plum liquer casks which gives it a wonderful sweetness. For some very, very relaxing times indeed. ;)

Hibiki is super, the 12 is my favourite whiskey. Never tried the 17 (never found it available).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If I was only limited to one Whiskey choice then it would have to be Redbreast 21 yr old. Heaven in a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I got a present of some stuff from Schlitz (Hessen) many years ago and it was mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is Bourbon the same as Whiskey? if so Jim Beam!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Depends on the season, Highland Park 18 is always on my shelf, I also like Macallan's 12 year sherry oak. Coming into the winter I'll be stocking up on my peatys. Lagavulin 16 and Laphroig 18 are already there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

dissed doc wrote: »
    Hibiki is super, the 12 is my favourite whiskey. Never tried the 17 (never found it available).

Ever go to Yamamori's Tengu bar, it's at the back of the restaurant on the Quay, lovely place, they have a great selection of Japanese whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Greenspot. Buy now

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I've never tried Scotch or any American whiskeys. Usually drink Powers whiskey I find it the nicest for hot ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've tasted Taketsuru 17 plenty of times and it is fantastic. Really great.

For Scotch, I thought Cardhu was a really good whisky. Laphroaig has a bit too much peat for me. Not a huge fan of Glenlfiddich myself.

For Irish, I've had Green Spot but wasn't a big fan - something chemical about the taste for me. Redbreast was nice, and Tyrconnell isn't bad for the price.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Xenophile wrote: »
    Is Bourbon the same as Whiskey? if so Jim Beam!

Bourbon is a style of whiskey that is made from a minimum of 51% corn, rather than malted barley being the main grain. There are other strict legal requirements before a whiskey can be officially called bourbon, but that's the main one. Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark are both excellent bourbons that are fairly readily available and well worth a try.

I'm generally not a Scotch drinker, but I do make an exception for Highland Park 18, it's pretty special. Favourite Irish whiskeys would probably be Greenore and Redbreast.

Scotch tastes like a heroin addicts vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What would people recommend if you had a spare €50-€60 to spend on a bottle

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

buried wrote: »
    Scotch tastes like a heroin addicts vomit.

Never tried that myself tbh. Would you generally add a drop of water or have it neat?

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    What would people recommend if you had a spare €50-€60 to spend on a bottle

Greenspot

Advertisement