Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest Whiskey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Zaph wrote: »
    Never tried that myself tbh. Would you generally add a drop of water or have it neat?

vomit and water? better off having it neat if your that way inclined

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Irish:

Green spot
    Powers john lane 12 year old
    Redbreast 12 year old
    teelings single malt

Scotch:

Lagavulin 16 year old
    Laphraoig - 10 year old and quarter cask
    The glenlivet

I would usually have varying quantities of these in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I must agree with the poster who mentioned Crested Ten above. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Kilbeggan, any of them are very underrated...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Yellow spot by a million zillion miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

jimgoose wrote: »
    I quite like the American rye stuff. I'm partial to an odd shot or two of Jim Beam, but I am rather likely to end up on the roof playing the banjo with no trousers on at 4am.

Are you native American by any chance. :D

Mine is Jack Daniels silver select.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Frynge wrote: »
    Currently sipping on a chivas 18 year old.

I know lots of people look down on the blended scotches but I like it a lot.

Irish wise yellow spot is a great thing to sup and contemplate life.

people who slag off blends are usually fools who know nothing about whiskey and believe the price tag is the only measure of quality.

my own choices would be
    bushmills 16 year

with mentions to
    Teelings small batch
    redbreast 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Irish:

Crested Ten.
    Bushmills single malt 12yo

Scotch:

Glenmorangie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The following are dirt

Jack Daniels
    Jim Beam
    Teachers
    Johnnie Walker Red Label

And yet these are probably some of the biggest selling whisk(e)ys around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Jameson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Teelings make excellent whiskies - we have a bottle of the single grain and a bottle of the single malt at home, seriously good stuff.

Powers John's Lane is absolutely cracking - possibly the best Irish whiskey you can buy at that price point. I know people who prefer it to Midleton despite it being half the price

Woodford Reserve and Rittenhouse Rye are both really good American options.

I got a bottle of cask-strength Macallan 18-year-old for my thirtieth a few years ago, been eking it out ever since. It's superb. Honourable mention also to Glenfiddich and pretty much anything that tastes of fire.

Nikka is really tasty, almost feels like a different drink compared to the smokiness of Scotch and the sharpness of bourbon.

The Porterhouse has an Indian single malt called Amrut - it's ridiculously good.

Dammit, it's not even noon and I want whisky now!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Links234 wrote: »
    Nikka's Coffee Grain

That would be Nikka Coffey Grain. Named after the Irishman who invented the continuous still which made Scotch so cheap. Nice drop, but give me a Pot Still whiskey any day.

Greenspot should be your first port of call for a pure pot still Irish. Best bang for a buck that I've tasted. Beats the pants off its more expensive big brother. The missus got me a bottle of Jameson Signature Reserve this week. I've heard good things and am looking forward to opening it. Bushmills single malt 12 is worth a punt too.

I don't like peaty Scotch, so for me, The Glenlivet is a great drop (best served with a little bit of pepper and some cheese). I got a bottle of Cardhu 12 on holidays this year and it's very approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jameson for me but, i'll probably get lynched by the Whiskey snobs for this, I find Clontarf Whiskey that you can get in Aldi is just as nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Zaph wrote: »
    Bourbon is a style of whiskey that is made from a minimum of 51% corn, rather than malted barley being the main grain. There are other strict legal requirements before a whiskey can be officially called bourbon, but that's the main one. Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark are both excellent bourbons that are fairly readily available and well worth a try.

I'm generally not a Scotch drinker, but I do make an exception for Highland Park 18, it's pretty special. Favourite Irish whiskeys would probably be Greenore and Redbreast.

Visited a couple of the distilleries in that region when lived over there years ago. Remember something about the percentages being mentioned, but also something about to be called a Bourbon it must be located in the original "old" Bourbon County which apparently used to cover an area many times larger than the present Bourbon County.

Irish ones for me, partial to the Bushmills 10, not refuse any of the Redbrest's, tried Teeling's recently, not at all bad.

Was once told, there are two types of whiskey, the ones you like and the ones you don't, and taste changes over the years.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I love a couple of wild turkey if im feelin flush,my norm Would be JD.Of the Irish Whiskey im fond of a dram of powers

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Sampled the 31 year old Teeling's whiskey. I'm not a whisky drinker at all, but that was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

A nice drop of greenspot does me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Powers Signature Release (not quite as spicy as Johns Lane), Redbreast 12 or Jameson Black Barrel.

As some others have mentioned, Redbreast 21 year old is absolutely amazing. Every Redbreast Ive had I thought was great tbh. Had a measure of cask strength in that whiskey bar next to Trinity; 59% ABV but still very smooth and easy to drink.

Prefer Irish over Scotch, but Glenmorangie 18 year is nice. Dont really like American whiskeys tbh, but a friend of mine got a bottle of Woodford Reserve a month or so ago and had some with him and it was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm off the sauce a good few years but back then it was

Crested 10 or Canadian Club

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Patww79 wrote: »
    Jameson. Wouldn't touch any other.

Cant stand the stuff myself,I find it kinda syrupy and sweet,in the same vein as southern Comfort but obviously with a different taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Knockando is really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I never touched whiskey unless it was a Hot one and I had a cold.

But the brother in law got me a bottle of Aberlour 12 year old and it turned me. Lovely stuff. Might have a wee tiple tonight now that I am thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

on the other end of the spectrum, the worst whiskey I have tasted is Screech whiskey, which is from Newfoundland.. its paint-stripper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

on the other end of the spectrum, the worst whiskey I have tasted is Screech whiskey, which is from Newfoundland.. its paint-stripper.

When I tasted Johnnie Walker for the first time I came to a similar conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Dunphy's was the worst I've had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Gatling wrote: »
    What would people recommend if you had a spare €50-€60 to spend on a bottle
    Yellow spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Yellow spot

Where are you getting Yellow Spot for 60 notes?

Advertisement