Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Referendum No Why?

Options
  • 20-10-2012 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi guys I would like to hear a non christian opinion in why I should vote no in the upcoming "childrens referundum"

2 years ago I was part of this video piece, as a portfilio piece

part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI2lDpkPV9o

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVPJURWv1BM

it had more to do with civil partnership, but the underlining message was who are we to dictate and define what a suppourtive (spelling) family unit is?

I would like to know what after hours take is on the Childrens refererdum is, both for voting yes, but particularly for why a no vote, more so from a family point of view, rather than a christain point of view ( that was all I seemed to get in google, when I asked the question)

Obviously I'm biased by the videos I helped make, but I really want to see the other side of the coin.

So please feel free AH to let ripe and discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I have no idea what this referendum is about...

Or what a tracker mortgage is

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

mauzo wrote: »
    I have no idea what this referendum is about...

Or what a tracker mortgage is

In fairness I don't either,that is why I want to know why I should vote "No/Yes" we did this piece as a portfilio piece (mostly as hetrosexual males, all non parents) cause we assumed that the definition of family by law wasn't held up in the Irish constitution.

As I said it was slightly naive and biased, I would like to know why someone would vote "No/Yes" to this referedum.

If mods see fit, I'm happy if this thread is closed, (I managed to find my answer in the politics forum) but I'm also quite happy for it continue, up to you guys ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Good luck with that: the only ones who seem to be against it are the Christian Solidarity Party, Nora Bennis, Maire McIrish Name who I'm fairly sure is from Youth Defence or the likes, and Fr. Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive! ''newspaper''.

So that's the company anyone voting no will be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

When did children get the vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I no more trust the state with my kids. The state has proved time and again they can't properly take care of children and now they want us to give them more power to take kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Most people that will vote no will probably vote that way to (they believe) 'hurt the govt'.

The govt will be unaffected by the results of this referendum, children will be however, so before anyone heads out with the idea of 'teaching fg/labour a lesson' actually find out what you're voting on, instead of wasting your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I'll be voting "no". I'll be in the minority though.

The wording is vague, perhaps understandably given that it's a change to the constitution. But the upshot is that more power is being granted to the government in drafting laws concerning the family. And these powers will be passed on to the social services.

I don't have a lot of faith in Irish social services. Similar powers have been granted to the UK social services, and some of the stories from there have been harrowing. I don't feel the Irish equivalent will work out better. It could be even worse.

How will we evaluate the success or fairness of the resulting laws? they'll be judged in family courts, which don't get reported in the media.

Finally, most of the sad cases that exist in Ireland can be addressed using existing laws, or new laws under the existing constitution. I don't believe a constitutional change is necessary.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Here's a thread on the referendum from a couple of days ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81250918

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement