Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childrens Referendum **poll added**

Options
  • 15-10-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

what the deal with this new referendum? why do we actually need to spend millions of money we do not have on something the vast majority care little about? just change whatever needs to changed. no referendum required. most other countries do it that way. i mean who is going to dare to vote against it?
    its these kind of things that make us need Eu supervisors to make sure we do not continue spending unwisely.

if a poll were to be taken how many of ye would actually vote in the referendum. I won't be voting. the whole thing has zero relevance to our daily lives.

How will you be voting on November 10th 547 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    55% 303 votes
    Won't be voting
    44% 244 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what the deal with this new referendum? why do we actually need to spend millions of money we do not have on something the vast majority care little about? just change whatever needs to changed. no referendum required. most other countries do it that way. i mean who is going to dare to vote against it?
    its these kind of things that make us need Eu supervisors to make sure we do not continue spending unwisely.

if a poll were to be taken how many of ye would actually vote in the referendum. I won't be voting. the whole thing has zero relevance to our daily lives.

I don't think it's a good idea allowing children to vote in a referendum. Children tend to be easily influenced by their parents and would probably vote just as their parents would vote. At least that doesn't happen with adults!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

what the deal with this new referendum? why do we actually need to spend millions of money we do not have on something the vast majority...

I stopped reading here. I hate sweeping generalisatons.

As for what's a referendum for? Well we live in a democracy, the government cannot make changes to the constitution without first offering the people a say in the matter.

Or would you rather live in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Can't wait for the Won't someone please think of the Children poster and the No side posters should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It's in our constitution that a referendum needs to be held for any changes made.
    That would be why they are having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's in our constitution that a referendum needs to be held for any changes made.
    We have a constitution=-O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a good idea allowing children to vote in a referendum. Children tend to be easily influenced by their parents and would probably vote just as their parents would vote. At least that doesn't happen with adults!

Will they have crayons/colouring pencils in the polling booths?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

yes

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Don't be silly.
    Children are computer literate these days, they can vote while they're playing Minecraft.

I know it's about children, but I also have no idea what it's about. To give children more rights? Can't imagine there'd be any posters in opposition to it..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I photographed an event last year in Dublin at the National Youth Service, as there was a form for youths going on about this referendum. And it was one of the most interesting and informative shoots I've ever been too. Defiantly worth looking into. I didn't even know about it before I went there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Phoenix wrote: »
    What is it all about?

You can read about it here: http://www.childrensreferendum.ie/what-will-change-if-the-referendum-is-passed

Despite what the OP says, I think it's an important issue which many people will care about. His whole "it means nothing to me, so it means nothing to anyone else" stance is a bit ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

This thread needs a poll :D

I know it's about children, but I also have no idea what it's about. To give children more rights? Can't imagine there'd be any posters in opposition to it..?

Hopefully some of the posters here will have read John Waters in The Irish Times, he actually brought God into it a fortnight ago, to support voting No, of course.
    I wasn't sure how I would vote, but having ploughed through his torturous verbiage for three weeks on the spin, I'm definitely voting yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

So you're saying you don't give a shit about improving children's rights. Glad that's sorted out.

I will be voting Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

does the state have money for such things at the moment? could they not wait until we have a pot to piiiss in?

does the state have money for such things at the moment? could they not wait until we have a pot to piiiss in?

We didn't have a referendum for children's rights when we were fat and wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Serious case of slamming the stable door when the horse has well and truly bolted, given our children's rights record with both state and church.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

Firstly, currently a serious crisis has to emerge before a child is put into care (years of deprivation, neglect, physical abuse, sexual abuse etc), with this new constitutional change, intervention will be able to occur earlier to protect the child.

Secondly, under the constitution, a child born outside marriage has less rights. for example, an unmarried father does not have as many legal rights over his own child. Imagine a child who is abused by their mother, and is put into state care needlessly because the father has less rights. Also, for a child of married parents, they cannot be adopted because it has to be proven that their parents will not pick them up from state care and look after them. So the child is in state care until 18 whereas under the new referendum, a child can be adopted into a loving family instead of waiting until 18 and trying to manage alone.

Thirdly, we cant just "change whatever needs to be changed". You should feel proud that you have a constitutional right to vote on every single change to our constitution. Are you saying the government should just go ahead and change it? They can't, and would you apply this logic to the referenda on abortion, divorce, joining the EU? Should the government just go ahead and change it with regard to those past/ current issues.

In short its about trying to give children the right to a good chance in life, a good family. It would stop children commiting suicide/ being abused in state care. If you don't want to vote on it don't, but obviously if you were a child in state care/ a couple wanting to adopt you'd care. I'm neither of those but of course I can understand. And with regard to questioning why we're even "bothering" to vote on our own constitution...wtf? Its our right, and changes to our constitution affect all our laws. Otherwise governments would make whatever laws they wanted, but i guess you'd be complaining if they did do as you suggested too.

Thirdly, we cant just "change whatever needs to be changed". You should feel proud that you have a constitutional right to vote on every single change to our constitution. Are you saying the government should just go ahead and change it? They can't, and would you apply this logic to the referenda on abortion, divorce, joining the EU? Should the government just go ahead and change it with regard to those past/ current issues.

In short its about trying to give children the right to a good chance in life, a good family. It would stop children commiting suicide/ being abused in state care. If you don't want to vote on it don't, but obviously if you were a child in state care/ a couple wanting to adopt you'd care. I'm neither of those but of course I can understand. And with regard to questioning why we're even "bothering" to vote on our own constitution...wtf? Its our right, and changes to our constitution affect all our laws. Otherwise governments would make whatever laws they wanted, but i guess you'd be complaining if they did do as you suggested too.[/QUOTE]

the whole thing is an expensive luxury we can ill afford at this time.
    people would be peeved if the government changed the constitution on a big issue such as abortion. people feel strongly about abortion on both sides. but who feels strongly against this particular amendment? turnout for referendae tends to be low and waste of money. other EU countries are equally democratic, yet do not feel the need to have a referendum on every little thing.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    So you're saying you don't give a shit about improving children's rights. Glad that's sorted out.

I will be voting Yes.

can you find anyone or group that is pushing for a 'no' vote?

can you find anyone or group that is pushing for a 'no' vote?

As stated in an earlier post, journalist John Waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

people would be peeved if the government changed the constitution on a big issue such as abortion. people feel strongly about abortion on both sides. but who feels strongly against this particular amendment? turnout for referendae tends to be low and waste of money. other EU countries are equally democratic, yet do not feel the need to have a referendum on every little thing.

so you agree it'd be wrong of the government to just go changing the constitution on abortion. Well the same applies to childrens' rights. You can't have any exceptions. I mean if its changing the constitution, its changing the constitution and a referendum needs to be held. Even if everyone was going to vote yes, it doesnt matter, if there's one person out there who wants to vote no, its their constitutional right to vote no. And yes, other countries bypass referenda. But you cant say I want a referendum on abortion but I don't want one on this. What if the government bypassed a referendum on abortion? That'd be a serious issue for you (and me and many many millions) but this childs referendum might be just as important as that to some people, and even if its not to you, you have to respect their rights to vote on it. Its just the law that we the people get a say if our constitution is going to be re worded. And that applies to all constitutional changes, whether you think they're important or not, they may be to others.

If an issue arose that you thought of particular importance, no one has the right to say "eh no actually, we're gonna go ahead and change it anyway", so you must respect issues of importance to others. As the constitution does, as the state does, as the government does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Giving children basic rights that they deserve far outweighs the cost of holding a referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Get Real wrote: »
    Firstly, currently a serious crisis has to emerge before a child is put into care (years of deprivation, neglect, physical abuse, sexual abuse etc), with this new constitutional change, intervention will be able to occur earlier to protect the child.

Secondly, under the constitution, a child born outside marriage has less rights. for example, an unmarried father does not have as many legal rights over his own child. Imagine a child who is abused by their mother, and is put into state care needlessly because the father has less rights. Also, for a child of married parents, they cannot be adopted because it has to be proven that their parents will not pick them up from state care and look after them. So the child is in state care until 18 whereas under the new referendum, a child can be adopted into a loving family instead of waiting until 18 and trying to manage alone.

In short its about trying to give children the right to a good chance in life, a good family. It would stop children commiting suicide/ being abused in state care. If you don't want to vote on it don't, but obviously if you were a child in state care/ a couple wanting to adopt you'd care. I'm neither of those but of course I can understand. And with regard to questioning why we're even "bothering" to vote on our own constitution...wtf? Its our right, and changes to our constitution affect all our laws. Otherwise governments would make whatever laws they wanted, but i guess you'd be complaining if they did do as you suggested too.

I don't know anything about this referendum but it appears to be a good thing going by this. Will look it up sometime soon and see what it's all about but I find forums where people are debating, giving their opinion and highlighting issues is a good, useful.tool for learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Serious case of slamming the stable door when the horse has well and truly bolted, given our children's rights record with both state and church.

Thats it. This country went through decades of abusing children domestically and also at a state level.

We didn't have a referendum for children's rights when we were fat and wealthy.

why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Ireland signed up to the UN convention of the Rights of the child in 1990 and as a result we needed to change the constitution and successive governments 'forgot' about it.
    So it's finally happening now, it will make all kids equal in terms of adoption and will be the starting point for long need changes, like children having input to cases before the family courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I think Switzerland have a vote on where to put bus stops...could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You can't put social issues to the wayside, just because the country is in a ****e economic state. It's not a waste of money like plenty of others things in the past were.

Advertisement