Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

cml387 wrote: »
    Fifty years ago this month, U2 spyplanes detected Soviet missiles in Cuba.
    http://cloudsovercuba.com/ (2 hours long)

http://creativity-online.com/news/clouds-over-cuba-revisits-the-cuban-missile-crisis-50-years-after/237772

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Sorry I know it's the Daily Mail :( But I came across these interesting photos taken from the Kutno Ghetto in Poland during WW2. The pictures were taken in 1940. The ghetto was 'liquidated' in 1942.

Here's the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219304/Hitlers-photographer-captured-plight-Jews-rare-colour-album-Kutno-Ghetto.html

article-0-158DC232000005DC-165_964x1432.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Those great, doesn't matter if it's the Daily Mail or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭pavb2

Following the same theme I'm reading about this Jewish lady Stella Kubler. Attractive isn't she?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4Hlj_QiFPFPv8DX4bprjoLGfsqDX02J1WFQgFVYYAYkOGVJMs

Link to her infamous story

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_K%C3%BCbler

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Truley wrote: »
    Sorry I know it's the Daily Mail :( But I came across these interesting photos taken from the Kutno Ghetto in Poland during WW2. The pictures were taken in 1940. The ghetto was 'liquidated' in 1942.

Here's the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219304/Hitlers-photographer-captured-plight-Jews-rare-colour-album-Kutno-Ghetto.html

Those pictures are so sad :( Those poor people have no idea what's going to happen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

1991 Gulf War. Iraqi forces retreating from Kuwait are attacked along the highway to Basra - the Highway of Death.

faceof1.jpg
    GulfWarHwy.jpg

Mission 26 The Big Endeavour

Time lapse vid of space shuttles entire three-day journey from LAX airport to its final destination at the California Science Center.

It's not on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's not on youtube.

Good! Cos the video is so much better in HD. Amazing footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This "picture" of serial killer Myra Hindley caused outrage and shock when it was unveiled in the 1997 Art Exhibitions Sensations. The picture is actually a mosaic made from the handprints of hundreds of young boys and girls, the very age of the victims of Hindley. Tasteless at best, disgusting and offensive at best. The painting was attacked with eggs and ink at least 4 times.

myra.jpg

myra.jpg&w=927&h=1176&ei=CX-CUPCDLcaBhQecrYCIBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=286&vpy=162&dur=143&hovh=253&hovw=199&tx=95&ty=161&sig=117017359988657050588&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=104&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

This "picture" of serial killer Myra Hindley caused outrage and shock when it was unveiled in the 1997 Art Exhibitions Sensations. The picture is actually a mosaic made from the handprints of hundreds of young boys and girls, the very age of the victims of Hindley. Tasteless at best, disgusting and offensive at best. The painting was attacked with eggs and ink at least 4 times.

I think it's quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It may be tasteless, but it looks cool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

YCNVY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

^^^Context?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

YCNVY.jpg

Why did this shake the world? Who are they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Neeson wrote: »
    Why did this shake the world? Who are they?

See here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYk-UwqFKA

He is someone who was dealt a sh***y hand in life but plays it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

May not have shook the world but certainly shook east coast US
    article-2224874-15BF56DD000005DC-546_964x612.jpg
    Lots more pics here.

First pic of Earth from Space

original-1.jpg
    Almost 14 months after the end of World War II and 11 years before the Sputnik launched, American military engineers and scientists used a Nazi V2 rocket launched from the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico to take a photo of the earth from space.

This was a time were NASA didn’t exist yet and the space race was decades away. The Nazis were the only people who were really thinking about spaceships at the time and a man by the name of Wernher Magnus Maximilian, Freiherr von Braun was obsessed with spaceships and was on a mission to build rockets at all costs.
    http://martinmoorephotography.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/iconic-photos-the-first-photo-ever-taken-from-space-was-taken-from-a-nazi-rocket/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

dan1895 wrote: »
    It also shook the Caribbean but no one's talking about that as they're not white and don't speak English so who gives a sh*t??

Not having a go at MCMLXXV btw, just a little frustrated rant

I think its because our culture isn't heavily influenced by the Caribbean rather than the racist undertone you are suggesting. Our media doesn't give a **** about the Caribbean 99.9% of the time anyway

This is Cuba allegedly

mPUWZ.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

K5czM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

K5czM.jpg
    I thought that was Roseanne and was like WTF?!?!

What's the context?

• Advertisement

Yeah, please post context, otherwise the picture is meaningless.

Her name is Tammy Duckworth and she is an army veteran, who lost both her legs and injured her arm, and that photo is just as she was elected to Congress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Barack-Obama-Re-elected-graphic-jpg.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1352292629758

watch-barack-obama-victory-speech-for-election-2012.jpg

ht_obama_biden_celebration_ll_121106_wblog.jpg

After months of gruelling campaigning, thoughts of a neck-and-neck run with Republican challenger Mitt Romney, it finally comes true for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. The final picture show them and their wives embracing just as the Democrats all but sealed their victory in the Presidential election.

The relief for them and their supporters is palpable, and the strains of the last few month clearly show on Obama's face in that final photo.

A great victory for Obama and the Democrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Here is a set of pictures of war in Syria. I couldn't pick any one to post here. Very NSFW/NSFL

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/syria-in-ruins/100402/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Grimebox wrote: »
    Here is a set of pictures of war in Syria. I couldn't pick any one to post here. Very NSFW/NSFL

that place is so ****ed up and yet the world sits by and does nothing, unbelievable amount of destruction done :mad:
    they're about the only world shaking photos in this thread in the last 5 pages too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jesus H Christ.

I'm in tears here.

Can the world powers not stop this for crying out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Good god:( Never knew it was that bad there. Its like another world to our little country. We complain about Ireland and the economy and the weather and all that when we really should be more greatful that we live in a country as nice as this. Some of those photos just seem so surreal...like scenes from an post apocalypse movie or something...

I guess the thing is that every country is one step away from being like that - we were certainly like that during the early 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I guess the thing is that every country is one step away from being like that - we were certainly like that during the early 20th century.

Ah the civil war in syria is a lot worse than anything irelands ever experienced. Neighborhoods are being firebombed in syria, civilians are being excecuted in the streets. Ireland was never like that during the civil war, not that many civilians were killed and the destruction was nothing on the scale of the syrian civil war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

No, we weren't. During the War of Independence and Civil War combined, about 6,000 died on all sides. The uprising in Syria has already reached more than ten times that in a country only 5 times our then population. They've also had more than a million internally displaced and another 500,000 refugees leave the country. Nothing in our history as a State compares.

• Advertisement

that place is so ****ed up and yet the world sits by and does nothing, unbelievable amount of destruction done :mad:
    Pictures look much the same as the Lebanese civil war. And that went on for ages. The breakup of Yugoslavia was worse.
    Donny5 wrote: »
    No, we weren't. During the War of Independence and Civil War combined, about 6,000 died on all sides. The uprising in Syria has already reached more than ten times that in a country only 5 times our then population.
    5.4 million died during the Second Congo War and most people don't even know it happened because those affected don't have mobile phones. The irony being that it was fought over the the materials to make mobile phones.

Probably the only photo of it that shocked the world ...

C0J4y.jpg

When they were moving the tourist attractions to safety.

Advertisement