Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions for an OUTDOOR 4G router?

Options
  • 31-05-2020 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

A little surprising that there isn't much to choose from in outdoor 4G routers.

I'm thinking of trying a Yeacomm Outdoor 4G CPE Router and wondered if anyone has any experience of them or any other outdoor router.

If it was cheaper I'd just buy one but at around €150 I'm not so sure?

Currently have a B593s-22 powered off a PoE adapter in a waterproof box on a Eircom pole in the garden. It works but the box is a bit big to mount higher up on the pole where it probably needs to go.

There is another option branded KuFi https://www.amazon.co.uk/KuWFi-Waterproof-Wireless-Antennas-Monitoring/dp/B07TZ3BCVV/ which is cheap enough but I don't really think its waterproof enough to mount outside (from reviews).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Currently have a B593s-22 powered off a PoE adapter in a waterproof box on a Eircom pole in the garden. It works but the box is a bit big to mount higher up on the pole where it probably needs to go.

Mount the antennas higher up the pole with a lead back to the router in it's current position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Mount the antennas higher up the pole with a lead back to the router in it's current position.

Thats an obvious solution but its an Eircom pole and I'm already taking the piss with other stuff I've got attached to it, there's also a couple of long range access points. I was thinking the Yeacomm Outdoor 4G CPE Router would reduce my footprint on the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres a post somewhere here on boards detailing a great solution. I might be able to find it in my bookmarks. Anyways, put a B593 or similar in a weathproof box on the pole, power it over POE. Jobs oxo.

Threads here: (but the images are gone)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698625

Followed that one back then, thats essentially what I have. Now looking to improve on it. The B593s-22 has always seemed to be the best router for picking up a signal and it has worked well previously I've had various dongles in an assortment of routers. I've two objectives, firstly to try and improve the connection and secondly to tidy the installation. A device designed for outdoor use and PoE would be ideal. The issues with a waterproof box with a PoE adapter and a router in it are size and convenience. Maintenance means opening up a screwed shut box while on ladders or taking it down. I don't have the box at the top of the pole as that would be just too difficult for maintenance and look all to obvious but I'd be happier to put a dedicated unit at the top of the pole where I hope I'd get a better signal (another 10ft higher?).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seems sorta futile to me, the external antennas are OK but they're nothing amazing. An external running up the pole does the same job.

How many LTE cells can you see?

EDIT: *Internals are ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 iwantbroadband

I don't have any hands-on experience of it, but MikroTik are a reputable brand who do the SXT LTE kit, which is basically a high gain antenna and modem in one, and can be powered over PoE.
    https://mikrotik.com/product/sxt_lte_kit
    Is probably about €140 delivered.

The only thing to note is that as it's pro-level gear, their admin interfaces are not terribly intuitive so not ideal for novices.

I don't have any hands-on experience of it, but MikroTik are a reputable brand who do the SXT LTE kit, which is basically a high gain antenna and modem in one, and can be powered over PoE.
    https://mikrotik.com/product/sxt_lte_kit
    Is probably about €140 delivered.

The only thing to note is that as it's pro-level gear, their admin interfaces are not terribly intuitive so not ideal for novices.

That sounds a safer bet for the money than the chinese one I linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

nagel wrote: »

Might be ideal but way off base for the design remit of reducing the profile on an Eir pole.

Advertisement