Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

bfa1509 wrote: »
    All I know is that Thinkpads are more high end/more expensive. The last company I worked for you got a thinkpad if you were stuck at your desk doing very processor/graphics heavy work whereas all the employees who travelled a lot got the lighter Ideapads.

I do prefer the ruggedness of the Thinkpads, they have good thick plastic on them I find. I would have regretting buying the Ideapad if there was a DOS version of the Thinkpad available.

They've very quickly gotten rid of them anyway. The €550 model that was mentioned the other day is gone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

It’s a pain in the ass dealing with digital river being pig ignorant.I was looking at the T14s amd but a maxxed out config Here is 2100 where as the same is 1600 on the french site.Wont deliver to outside Ireland but all sold by digital river island limited across Europe.Sales staff pig ignorant also.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    All I know is that Thinkpads are more high end/more expensive. The last company I worked for you got a thinkpad if you were stuck at your desk doing very processor/graphics heavy work whereas all the employees who travelled a lot got the lighter Ideapads.

I do prefer the ruggedness of the Thinkpads, they have good thick plastic on them I find. I would have regretting buying the Ideapad if there was a DOS version of the Thinkpad available.

most decent laptops have a metal chassis (aluminium or magnesium alloy) these days.

it's more durable / less creaky and more scratch-resistant than plastic and just looks and feels better to use.

plastic fantastic is best avoided these days if you can afford it.

metal chassis laptops are not prohibitively priced - you can get them from €600 with a quad-core cpu.

the build quality of a laptop is something that you will appreciate every day whilst using it.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    It’s a pain in the ass dealing with digital river being pig ignorant.I was looking at the T14s amd but a maxxed out config Here is 2100 where as the same is 1600 on the french site.Wont deliver to outside Ireland but all sold by digital river island limited across Europe.Sales staff pig ignorant also.

get someone in France to post it to you or find some redirect service

VAT rates are different also and has to be dispatched to a french address if bought from french site etc this is the case with for example dell etc also. why expect them to be different. dell own all the dell sites also.

you can't just expect the staff to give you the same price as another site

especially some 10 euro an hour call centre person. they have only their job to lose, nothing to gain for trying to do something out of their scope which the IT system won't let them do anyway

"pig ignorant" sounds like - "they didn't do what I wanted them to do"

you would also get a french keyboard layout buying from the French site...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭romperstomper

bought the ideapad 14" with the following:
    4700u
    16gb ram
    500gb nvme
    best screen option
    wifi 6

792 after EXCLUSIVEWRT! discount

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    get someone in France to post it to you or find some redirect service

VAT rates are different also and has to be dispatched to a french address if bought from french site etc this is the case with for example dell etc also. why expect them to be different. dell own all the dell sites also.

you can't just expect the staff to give you the same price as another site

especially some 10 euro an hour call centre person. they have only their job to lose, nothing to gain for trying to do something out of their scope which the IT system won't let them do anyway

"pig ignorant" sounds like - "they didn't do what I wanted them to do"

you would also get a french keyboard layout buying from the French site...
    Hi
    I understand the message i wrote was brief but to go into further detail the issue i had the most was the prices shifting around on the website so much whats the real price/ value of the product?
    I then tried to purchase the laptop through the EXCLUSIVEWRT! and get the discount on that and when it went to the payment page it was scrambled looking and odd so(tip:use chrome as edge and firefox for me caused issues). i called the phone sales staff with the cart id to try purchase it, where i was given the take it or leave it option for the base price as they cant see rewards store prices.
    Ok fair enough i say but i have a coupon for the 10% newsletter sub(which is the same roughly as the EXCLUSIVEWRT! discount above anyway) i get told thats online only, i mention its an issue im having with my browser they say that happens due to the browser not being chrome but wont take the voucher over the phone.I said look id like to buy it at that price is there anything you can do on the price to just match the newsletter discount(also well documented online that when buying from lenovo and dell you usually get a better discount up to 12.5% via a rep vs 10% student/newletter etc) the guy in the phone goes thanks for wasting my time here and hangs up.Hence pig ignorant.

The keyboard can be configured any way you like on the french site by the way so the uk layout is fine to pick there and the vat rate 20%fr vs 23%ie isnt a 500 euro difference.

I bought through paypal on the french site through paypal and set my shipping address to ireland through that and the order has gone through and ive recieved order confirmation and invoice from Digital River Ireland Limited.'
    I will update the thread with how this progresses but i think its no harm for people to compare prices of these "deals" with other eu countries to see how much of a steal they may really be.Your rights on distance selling in the eu are very strong also so theres peace of mind in that also.

sounds like you got a good deal then... if it goes through.

pretty good that everything including the keyboard is customisable.

re VAT I mean more that they won't send an item bought from one VAT jurisdiction to another normally unless set-up for that like amazon uk are re Ireland.

prices are different for unknown reasons - no logic to it

wasn't clear what your gripe was from your original message

My initial post was more an angry rant in the moment so looking at it i was pretty vague but this thread is great for those in the market for a great laptop.
    As i said hopefully all pans out my biggest gripe is im fairly sure all over europe is being handled by digital river "based in shannon"(whether thats a virtual office or not i dont know.The price is more so weighted towards bulk buyers here thinking there getting a large discount (in the thinkpad range moreso than the other consumer bracket ideapad or yoga stuff) so when they compare that price to there unit price it seems better value.Where as in france and germany there priced pretty keenly from the get so it seems.
    Anyways ill update hopefully next week how i got on long live the bargains on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭razorronan

Ordered my IdeaPad 5 on the 18th of June. A month later (18th of July) I received notification that it had shipped with a link to UPS tracking service. Tracking service shows is took 6 days to get from China to Koeln, Germany. Logged in again today to find a message saying a damage has been reported and we will notify the sender. Had heard nothing from Lenovo/Digital River on this, so gave them a call. They said I can order a replacement or get a refund. Ordered a replacement for now but seriously considering cancelling at this stage as will likely be end of September before I receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The 15" version is back in stock. Just ordered:

Product Name: 81YQCTO1WW - IdeaPad 5 15

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor (1.80GHz, Max Boost up to 4.20GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Operating System - Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language - Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Productivity Software - Microsoft Office Trial
    Memory - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    First Hard Drive - 1TB Hard Drive, 5400RPM, 2.5", 7mm
    Second Hard Drive - 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), WVA, Anti-glare, 2.6mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Keyboard - Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera - 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment - Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader - Fingerprint Reader
    Palmrest - PC/ABS
    Battery - 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 57Wh
    Power Cord - 95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
    Wireless - Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack - Publication-English
    Warranty - 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

The order confirmation email did not give an estimated delivery date.

• Advertisement

The 15" version is back in stock. Just ordered:

Product Name: 81YQCTO1WW - IdeaPad 5 15

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor (1.80GHz, Max Boost up to 4.20GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    First Hard Drive - 1TB Hard Drive, 5400RPM, 2.5", 7mm
    Second Hard Drive - 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), WVA, Anti-glare, 2.6mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Palmrest - PC/ABS

The order confirmation email did not give an estimated delivery date.

If you don't mind me asking what was the total price for that spec? Did you use any discount codes.

razorronan wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking what was the total price for that spec? Did you use any discount codes.

The total price was €700.64 using the rewards store with newsletter discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Finally got mine delivered 3 months later!

Beersmith wrote: »
    Finally got mine delivered 3 months later!

I don't mind waiting, once it's ok for light duty video editing and occasional web development using Atom. I'll stick in a 1TB SSD and good to go. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I don't mind waiting, once it's ok for light duty video editing and occasional web development using Atom. I'll stick in a 1TB SSD and good to go. 🙂

Lenovo have subbed a VA panel for IPS ,thats sneaky.

Zardoz wrote: »

I had ordered the 14" version as the same spec as Newclareman but mine came out to €728 (with both discount codes). Could that be because I have an IPS screen? As mine has got damaged during delivery I wondering should I stick with my 14" or ordered the 15" instead.

Zardoz wrote: »

I bought this on the basis of 100% sRGB and metal body. I'm a bit concerned, now, but suspect it's just different terminology. In the technical spec sheets they use WVA while on the website the product specification says IPS. As I understand it, WVA just stands for wide viewing angle and the term can be used for IPS panels.

If anyone has any further info, that'd be great, as Lenovo online chat couldn't confirm. (It's going back if it's not IPS.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I bought this on the basis of 100% sRGB and metal body. I'm a bit concerned, now, but suspect it's just different terminology. In the technical spec sheets they use WVA while on the website the product specification says IPS. As I understand it, WVA just stands for wide viewing angle and the term can be used for IPS panels.

If anyone has any further info, that'd be great, as Lenovo online chat couldn't confirm. (It's going back if it's not IPS.)

WVA should be IPS in this case.
    No idea why they refer to it as WVA instead of IPS,its a bit misleading .

I had ordered the 14" version as the same spec as Newclareman but mine came out to €728 (with both discount codes). Could that be because I have an IPS screen? As mine has got damaged during delivery I wondering should I stick with my 14" or ordered the 15" instead.

Are you sure it was the same specs? AFAIK the 14" version can't take a HDD.

Are you sure it was the same specs? AFAIK the 14" version can't take a HDD.

Your right. The below came out to €728.07. Do you think I should cancel my order and go with the 15" instead?

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor (2.00GHz, Max Boost up to 4.10GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Hard Drive - 512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 14.0" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.0mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphics - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Palmrest - Metal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Your right. The below came out to €728.07. Do you think I should cancel my order and go with the 15" instead?

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor (2.00GHz, Max Boost up to 4.10GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Hard Drive - 512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 14.0" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.0mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphics - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Palmrest - Metal

Nothing special about these prices

FFVII wrote: »
    Nothing special about these prices

Is their another laptop that you have come across recently with similar specs at a cheaper price? I'd be very interested in checking it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Is their another laptop that you have come across recently with similar specs at a cheaper price? I'd be very interested in checking it out. Thanks.

No, I bought Lenovo Ryzen 7 in January so I've been looking at their prices for a good while now...if ye can I'd hold off for a deal on them 700 euro prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

You are getting 20% off the retail prices. I am not sure how much more you can get.

Only you can answer that - it really depends where, and for what purpose, you're using it. The cost difference is too low to worry about. Some things you might want to think about.

1. Do you carry it about much? If so, the smaller size might be best.

2. Do you need large amounts of storage? I wanted a HDD as I can swap in a 4TB, or bigger. However, even the 1TB option gives you 750GB more storage, overall.

3. Will you be using programs/apps where the larger screen size would be useful?

4. Will you be using programs/apps where the larger SSD (512GB vs 256GB) is more useful. For example, some programs/games will run poorly if using a HDD for storage.

Finally, if you did decide to change, I'd make sure that The 15" was still available and that I was happy with the price. People have reported difficulties getting codes to stack, so you might end up paying a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Anybody order this and have it cancelled?
    Ordered the 15" yesterday and just got an email saying "We're sorry but unfortunately we are unable to process your order at this time" guess something in my configuration is unavailable but I can put together the same configuration still on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

laneooo wrote: »
    Anybody order this and have it cancelled?
    Ordered the 15" yesterday and just got an email saying "We're sorry but unfortunately we are unable to process your order at this time" guess something in my configuration is unavailable but I can put together the same configuration still on the website.

That is just ridiculous from Lenovo, given the amount of money you've committed to buying this device and they can't even guarantee you'll get it. Not only that they don't give you the exact reason.

You're not the first on this thread to experience this either

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Got my 14" last week, anyone tried a cheap usb-c dock with hdmi, like a <€30 one on amazon?

Just got a forecast delivery date of 29th August for my one. Here's hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

I use one of those adapters for my work laptop and a macbook. One is anker and th eother is no-name - both work fine. If there's only one USB-C port on your device you should check that the dongle also supports pass through power i.e that you can connect your power supply to it and it can then charge your laptop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement