Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

gmisk wrote: »
    Where are you meant to be going?
    I was meant to be going with aerlingus to lake Garda via Verona.
    Hotel have let me use hotel as credit anytime til the end of next year.
    Aerlingus no refund yet but expecting the flights to be cancelled closer to the time

Going to Lake Garda also. Do you mind me asking when were you due to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

anewme wrote: »

You'd be imagining very much wrong then...letter today from HR cancelling business travel and stating people who travel to certain regions on a personal basis (including Northern Italy) should not return to the office within 14 days of landing back in Ireland as a precaution.

I dont think I will be the only person in an office environment getting this type of communication.

I'd say the same would apply to your children returning from Milan as well from a school point of view.

Well I'm self-employed so that doesn't really apply to me.

But to be honest I'd be delighted with that. Head on my holidays and then get two further weeks off to "self-isolate". I'd bring the family on a second holiday while work paid me. Win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

And still our travel agent wont cancel our scheduled trip to milan on Friday and give us a refund...

Update: Trip cancelled and full refund given!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

gmisk wrote: »
    Where are you meant to be going?
    I was meant to be going with aerlingus to lake Garda via Verona.
    Hotel have let me use hotel as credit anytime til the end of next year.
    Aerlingus no refund yet but expecting the flights to be cancelled closer to the time

Prague.only 8 cases there but ill be divorced if i bring it back.
    Ill only loose flight money unless dfa step in.but i want to go damn it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm due to travel to France in a couple of weeks but I'm considering cancelling as my husband has a compromised immune system - it involves ferry travel. I just wish there was some clarity so I won't lose the ferry fare costs or at least a percentage of them if I move the booking. Also it crossed my mind that maybe most people won't travel so it could be a really empty sailing - and the prospect of smaller queues in the port etc is quite tempting and then once we follow the guidelines we may have the same chance of catching it at home as away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well I'm self-employed so that doesn't really apply to me.

But to be honest I'd be delighted with that. Head on my holidays and then get two further weeks off to "self-isolate". I'd bring the family on a second holiday while work paid me. Win-win.

So that's why you did not get why HR would take employees concerns seriously.

If you are self employed though and work with or engage with the public in any way, it is unfair to mix with people without informing them of the facts and letting them make their own decision about their health.

Same with children. Taking someone on a weekend for the sake of it and then leaving them for 2 weeks out of lessons would not really be seen as a win win for most people.

Update: Trip cancelled and full refund given!

Delighted for you! Fair play for pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Did anyone see many Italians around dublin over the weekend? The ones who had booked flights accommodation for the rugby match and decided to for the holiday to Dublin even though the rugby match was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Packing for New York on Thursday with little-to-no excitement. Have no real gut feeling on whether we should go or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Packing for New York on Thursday with little-to-no excitement. Have no real gut feeling on whether we should go or not.

There is no restriction on travel so lots of goods and people are moving around. If there is no restriction then just go and enjoy yourself. There is a case within 2km of me at the moment. I don't worry about that one so I wouldn't worry about a case in new York either.

I'm away to eastern Europe on Thursday for a long weekend. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Did you go?

Ha! Words with HR :D

If someone wants to pay me to stay at home after my holiday they're more than welcome. I'd imagine you'll get short shrift if you were in pestering HR about this.

Paddy, would like to remind you of your sneering about people expressing concerns to HR on people returning from high risk regions such as you and your family travelling to (Milan) Northern Italy for Paddys Weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

anewme wrote: »
    Paddy, would like to remind you of your sneering about people expressing concerns to HR on people returning from high risk regions such as you and your family travelling to (Milan) Northern Italy for Paddys Weekend.

Well my flights were cancelled unfortunately. Insurance covered most of it.

It's actually worked out better for me as I left for Cheltenham yesterday afternoon (without the wife Nd kids). I'm feeling lucky today so I hope to make back any money lost on the nags.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭boetstark

It's actually worked out better for me as I left for Cheltenham yesterday afternoon (without the wife Nd kids). I'm feeling lucky today so I hope to make back any money lost on the nags.

One horrible specimen 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Sorry that sounds so selfish. What has happened to basic cop on. We all have a social and moral responsibility over this

It's at times of crisis that people really show their true colours.

Unfortunately, there are some people with lack of common decency and recklessness among us, but they out themselves, as is the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Such BS.

So for those taking holidays in late May early June- do you holiday in Ireland and get the virus or holiday abroad and get the virus?
    Alternative is back garden - but I don’t see how holidaying in Ireland around this time period will be any different than elsewhere in Europe say. We’ll all have high levels of deaths and infections at that stage and will likely be over the worst hopefully - any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Due to land in NYC in around 3 hours. Plane is packed to the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,260 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am not, too risky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Back garden and bbq looking good this year. Just need to buy an awning in case it rains. Oh and a heater of sorts. Be grand.

No way would I book anything abroad right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

myself the wife and three kids were due to travel to Dublin this evening from Denmark to attend a wedding on Sunday and spend the rest of next week enjoying the st Patricks day festivities. As i had been sent home from work Thursday because of the "virus" with pay for two weeks we decided not to travel,I think we did the right thing as now The Danish Authorities have issued travel restrictions to everywhere from today. lost some money,kids are pissed off
    but we will try make the best of it and not put ourselves or others at risk.

take care of yourselves

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Meant to travel to Norway on June 30th - from Barcelona .... not sure if it will go ahead or not, they are saying this virus will peak around June ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Supposed to be going to NYC in May and have made my peace with the fact that it probably won’t be happening. I have excellent travel insurance but America is not the kind of place I’d like to get stuck being sick with something like that so unless there’s a drastic change of circumstances, I won’t be going.
    Gutted but there will be plenty of other holidays in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Just cancelled my days off for a trip to Germany in mid-April, was suppose to be taking part in a race there but that got cancelled around a week back but was still half thinking of going to visit friends. Finally accepted the inevitable today but not a big deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Was meant to be in Santa Clara next monday / tuesday but the event was moved to may 5th/6th (now that they have stopped any events over 50 for next 8 weeks that wont go ahead which means my trip to chicago in 11th& 12th May will not be going ahead either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I work at the airport today was pretty busy americans all trying to get home.
    It's been quiet during the week the London all flights about half empty.
    Meant to travel to London early April cancelled it as I don't like how UK are handling the coronavirus outbreak . There's a high probably a chance I'll pick it up there , stuck there or end up on isolation coming back.
    Luckily the airline have vouchers to use on another flight at another time so won't lose out.
    It was only one way I had booked so far not yet booked the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rusty the athlete

According to RTE just now "Irish holidaymakers who are currently in Spain, or the Balearic or Canary Islands, are being advised to travel home by midnight on Thursday". Whats so significant about midnight Thursday I'm wondering. Airport going to shut down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

According to RTE just now "Irish holidaymakers who are currently in Spain, or the Balearic or Canary Islands, are being advised to travel home by midnight on Thursday". Whats so significant about midnight Thursday I'm wondering. Airport going to shut down?

I think it's due to airlines shutting a lot of the routes down come midnight Thursday. Could be wrong though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement