Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

How did people fair with Company ?

Got 50 and I expected to fail so am delighted

How people got on with equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

jewels652 wrote: »
    How people got on with equity?

52 and i thought it was one of my better exams

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

The March timetable has thrown off my previous plans somewhat, would attempting Constitutional, Equity and EU without any previous revision be a tall order? any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

jewels652 wrote: »
    Got 50 and I expected to fail so am delighted

same... 50 and thought I failed

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Can anyone fill me in with the new rules?

Magic 3 is gone???
    7 years to pass all exams???

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

Can anyone fill me in with the new rules?

Magic 3 is gone???
    7 years to pass all exams???

Magic 3 is gone, 7 years to pass the exams, you can sit the exams if you are in the process of getting your degree now too

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

equity and tort 53, land 52, contract 50. Weirdly the two I knew I failed did the best, huge mistakes in them. Was really confident for contract, which was my best exam by far, strange it got the lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 marylavelle

Hi all,

I got the magic 3 but failed Constitutional. Do you think it's worth getting it rechecked? I got 42%? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Doing Tort, Contract, Criminal and Equity again in March unfortunately. With these new rules though, I’m thinking of trying a 5th.

What do people think as a 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

They’re spaced out over a longer time this next sitting too

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

me too bang on 50 ..thanks god!
    enjoy the celebrations :-)

Hi all,

I got the magic 3 but failed Constitutional. Do you think it's worth getting it rechecked? I got 42%? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I got 42 last sitting and passed this time, I remember reading the last results day that it’s generally not worth it if it’s under 45 but that’s just one opinion!

Anybody willing to swap materials I need constitutional law and eu materials I have materials for other topics

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

i just sat my first three and only passed one, nearly passed a second.

have i to resit the three?

oh my god oh my god please say no

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

do you still have to pass 3 first time?

No it looks like you dont need the magic 3 anymore ! At least you have alot of the ground work done for next sitting.... you were so close so hopefully next time it will go your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hi all,

Passed my second set of 4 so am done thank goodness. They’re stiff exams but it is worth it for sure. If anyone needs notes or anything, please don’t hesitate to message me and I can email you my notes and tips.

My one bit of advice on that note would be to stick together! Two heads are better than one and with no real curriculum/ marking scheme, getting other people’s opinions is invaluable. Boards was a lifesaver for me in this regard so thank you so much to anyone who helped me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Hi all - this is my letter! I passed only two in March this year and unfortunately was unable to sit the October round. Does this mean the 2 passes count as long as I pass them all within the next 5 years??

Would love some clarification!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Congratulations to all in this thread who received good news on Friday. For those of you reading this thread who weren't quite so lucky (and I can understand why you wouldn't want to post about missing out on the magic three or whatever), please don't give up - the way these exams are marked is almost totally arbitrary in some cases, the only way you'll never make it through is if you decide to stop trying. Eventually you will pass, just keep studying away. If you want it badly enough, you'll get it.

I was delighted to find out I passed four (October was my first sitting). However, I was pretty surprised to find out I failed Criminal by almost ten marks. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what my chances of success are if I apply to get my script rechecked?
    Sineaddh wrote: »
    Hi all - this is my letter! I passed only two in March this year and unfortunately was unable to sit the October round. Does this mean the 2 passes count as long as I pass them all within the next 5 years??

Would love some clarification!
    Thanks

If that was your first sitting and you only passed two, I'm afraid you'll be starting from the ground up. You need to pass three in your first sitting for any of them to count.

Congratulations to all in this thread who received good news on Friday. For those of you reading this thread who weren't quite so lucky (and I can understand why you wouldn't want to post about missing out on the magic three or whatever), please don't give up - the way these exams are marked is almost totally arbitrary in some cases, the only way you'll never make it through is if you decide to stop trying. Eventually you will pass, just keep studying away. If you want it badly enough, you'll get it.

I was delighted to find out I passed four (October was my first sitting). However, I was pretty surprised to find out I failed Criminal by almost ten marks. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what my chances of success are if I apply to get my script rechecked?

If that was your first sitting and you only passed two, I'm afraid you'll be starting from the ground up. You need to pass three in your first sitting for any of them to count.

As the magic 3 is being done away with i wasn’t sure how to read it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Sineaddh wrote: »
    As the magic 3 is being done away with i wasn’t sure how to read it?!

I think that only applies to any sitting from March 2020 onwards. I could be wrong though. The phrasing on the letter is tricky, maybe it would be worth ringing the Law Society about it tomorrow morning.

I think that only applies to any sitting from March 2020 onwards. I could be wrong though. The phrasing on the letter is tricky, maybe it would be worth ringing the Law Society about it tomorrow morning.

I read it from 2020 too from the rules but the letter confused me! I can’t get my hopes up anyway! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Aoaoaoao2019

Does anyone have grids/past paper sample answers for property, equity, contract and tort?

Sorry, new to boards.

Well done to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Passed 4 on my third attempt thankfully. Does anyone have advice on how to study Eu, its a big one so was wondering how best to tackle it. Thanks

My manuals are all a year or two old.. would they still be ok to use or is it possible I’m missing out on vital info from the updated versions??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 livetelevision

The Regulations which do away with the requirement to pass 3 exams on your first go come into force on 01/01/2020, so it's only applicable from the March 2020 exams onwards.

For reference: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/si/503/made/en/print

Hello I am need constitutional past papers and sample answers please I have materials for other topics if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neamhsplach

The Regulations which do away with the requirement to pass 3 exams on your first go come into force on 01/01/2020, so it's only applicable from the March 2020 exams onwards.

For reference:

Has anyone actually checked this the law society?? - the letter they have sent out is very confusing and suggests that the removal of the magic 3 is retrospective, and the SI doesn't give any real clarity...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Has anyone actually checked this the law society?? - the letter they have sent out is very confusing and suggests that the removal of the magic 3 is retrospective, and the SI doesn't give any real clarity...

I’m pretty sure they have to give us notice if the magic three rule wasn’t going to apply to our sitting. Otherwise you’d have a whole load of people arguing they wouldn’t have sat 3 exams if they could just do 1, 2 etc. It’s from 2020 onwards but ring if you’re unsure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Have to do 5 in March...

I should start studying now yeah?

Have to do 5 in March...

This is what I’m doing. Except maybe from Monday...

Have to do 5 in March...

Which 5 do you have?

I have 4 left but its Tort, Con, EU and Equity. Afraid its too heavy to attempt in one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Have people who applied to view a script got any confirmation of their booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 roseyp123

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Which 5 do you have?

I have 4 left but its Tort, Con, EU and Equity. Afraid its too heavy to attempt in one sitting.
    I did 5 last sitting. I did Tort, Company, Property, Equity and EU. The first 3 exams were one after each other and it was really tough, but to be honest not a whole lot tougher than the first time round. You do find yourself really tired etc but as far as I'm aware the time table has been spaced out better so 5 is definitely manageable! I took the risk in doing 5 because I really wanted to get them done between 2 sittings and I'm so relieved I did.

Which 5 do you have?

Property, Company, Criminal, Tort, EU

Someone passed all 8 last sitting, don’t be phased!

Does anyone have any tips for Tort and EU?

roseyp123 wrote: »
    I did 5 last sitting. I did Tort, Company, Property, Equity and EU. The first 3 exams were one after each other and it was really tough, but to be honest not a whole lot tougher than the first time round. You do find yourself really tired etc but as far as I'm aware the time table has been spaced out better so 5 is definitely manageable! I took the risk in doing 5 because I really wanted to get them done between 2 sittings and I'm so relieved I did.

Fair play, that must have been stressfull. Were you working while studing for the 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Which 5 do you have?

The same as you plus Company.

I did 4 last time, passed 3 and failed Tort.

It is incredibly heavy but has to be done!

• Advertisement

How long do rechecks take?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

How long do rechecks take?
    6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shambles2020

I'm thinking of doing Contract, Criminal, Equity and Property in March. Should I start studying now? Any tips would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Anyone have an up to date Eu or equity grids they are willing to send, I can swap for notes.

Guys,
    What is the story with Constitutional?! JUst looked at the exam grid, its all over the place. Is there always a case note Q and are the topics mixed? Must need to be covering 15+ topics by the looks of it!

Guys,
    What is the story with Constitutional?! JUst looked at the exam grid, its all over the place. Is there always a case note Q and are the topics mixed? Must need to be covering 15+ topics by the looks of it!

Interested in peoples thoughts on this too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Hey guys, would anyone be willing to share EU and company grids, notes, sample answers? Haven't looked at it since college and dont know where to start. Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Just a general tip on Constitutional, if it is an area of law you are interested in I would buy The Supreme Court by Ruadhan Mac Cormaic and read it over Christmas. It's an easy read, interesting and not very heavy. It will bring the cases to life and make your study easier. It was suggested here a few times so there are a few ohers who found this helpful. It's in Hoggis and Figgis, about E15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fe1VanWilder

Has anyone received a reply from the law society in relation to a request to have their exam scripts sent out? I can’t make the viewing session this weekend. Any information on how long this process took after the last sitting would be great in addition to whether they’re sent out via email or post? Thanks

Has anyone received a reply from the law society in relation to a request to have their exam scripts sent out? I can’t make the viewing session this weekend. Any information on how long this process took after the last sitting would be great in addition to whether they’re sent out via email or post? Thanks

Mine were sent in a password protected email about 3 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fe1VanWilder

jus_me wrote: »
    Mine were sent in a password protected email about 3 weeks later

Perfect, thanks! Not much use when the recheck deadline is the week before.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement