Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Hi

When doing the U Turn in the test do you have to indicator right when starting and indicate left when finishing?

I tend to feather the clutch in a U turn so can’t be using indicators as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I didn't have to during mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Hi

When doing the U Turn in the test do you have to indicator right when starting and indicate left when finishing?

I'd indicate right just to let approaching traffic know you are pulling out, but I wouldn't indicate left afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I can't rem, possibly for the turning right part not for the left. Get a pre test and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Hi

Yes:
    Left indicator always on when stopped at the side of the street (that lets other traffic know that you are stopped).

Then right mirror & if clear right signal, shoulder check & move.

Then after getting going in a straight line beside the kerb, lifesaver & turn if clear, then signal left before you stop at the kerb.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

I haven't been on this thread recently so am unsure of the current situation in relation to doing an IBT, are lessons allowed to go ahead at the current time? Due to life circumstances I allowed my previous IBT cert to expire.

I've recently gotten a new job and although it's nice my boss is trying to be flexible with my hours so I can get public transport it would be nice if I could be more flexible with my hours.

I haven't been on this thread recently so am unsure of the current situation in relation to doing an IBT, are lessons allowed to go ahead at the current time? Due to life circumstances I allowed my previous IBT cert to expire.

I've recently gotten a new job and although it's nice my boss is trying to be flexible with my hours so I can get public transport it would be nice if I could be more flexible with my hours.

Yes. IBT is back on.

Just curious how much would you recommend someone put aside to get an A class bike, I presume with brexit it has made bringing one in from the UK more expensive and complicated?

Just curious how much would you recommend someone put aside to get an A class bike, I presume with brexit it has made bringing one in from the UK more expensive and complicated?

3000 - 4000.
    Brexit doesn't mean the end of cheaper A class bikes.
    Autoscout24 will get you a cheap bike in europe, but you will need to decide if its worth the risk of buying a bike without seeing it, or traveling to Europe to collect the bike and if you don't have a full license you'll have to pay someone to get the bike back to ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Does anybody know if AM can be added to a full B without theory test etc

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if AM can be added to a full B without theory test etc

According to this if you got your license before 2001 then you have an automatic entitlement to an AM license that allows you to ride a 50cc bike up to 50Kph.

https://www.carolenash.com/news/bike-news/detail/can-you-ride-a-motorbike-with-a-car-licence

goblin59 wrote: »
    3000 - 4000.
    Brexit doesn't mean the end of cheaper A class bikes.
    Autoscout24 will get you a cheap bike in europe, but you will need to decide if its worth the risk of buying a bike without seeing it, or traveling to Europe to collect the bike and if you don't have a full license you'll have to pay someone to get the bike back to ireland anyway.

Thanks, I unfortunately wouldn't be comfortable buying a bike with out seeing it first or traveling to buy in a non English speaking country. Serves me right for waiting so damm long to get everything sorted looks like I'll just have to suck up the cost of buying in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Thanks, I unfortunately wouldn't be comfortable buying a bike with out seeing it first or traveling to buy in a non English speaking country. Serves me right for waiting so damm long to get everything sorted looks like I'll just have to suck up the cost of buying in this country.

I'd be with you, I'd prefer to go over the bike in great detail before buying. But don't fret, there are sellers out there who aren't unreasonable dreamers when putting there bikes on DD. Once you're 100% you're going to buy, you have the cash in your pocket ready to do a deal and you have 2 or 3 bike models you'd be keen on, then you just need to monitor Donedeal 2 or 3 times a day, you will find something with thats reasonably priced. But when you find one make the call straight away, well priced bikes are selling within 24 hours.

Check Northern Ireland too, they still have lower bike prices and not subject to VAT (yet) so long as the bike is registered pre 2021.

Sorry if this sounds like I am being very impatient between yesterday and today I text three instructors so far I've heard nothing back from two of them and the third unfortunately doesn't have any available slots until July.

Does anyone know of any instructors in the country that could take me on in the next 3 to 4 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spooch

Sorry if this sounds like I am being very impatient between yesterday and today I text three instructors so far I've heard nothing back from two of them and the third unfortunately doesn't have any available slots until July.

Does anyone know of any instructors in the country that could take me on in the next 3 to 4 weeks?

Been ringing around myself and earliest I got was 2nd & 8th July for my two sessions. In Cork if that's any bit useful to you

I can definitely see there is pent-up demand after the lockdown oh well, looks like I'll just have to wait and see what is available in the next two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I can definitely see there is pent-up demand after the lockdown oh well, looks like I'll just have to wait and see what is available in the next two months.

Where in the country are you?

Where in the country are you?

Sorry should have mentioned I am in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Plenty of people that have to do mod 5's to get their ibt reinstated plus those waiting to do it from last year, it's a fair amount to try get through.

• Advertisement

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Plenty of people that have to do mod 5's to get their ibt reinstated plus those waiting to do it from last year, it's a fair amount to try get through.

I wonder do many people bounce from IBT to IBT every 2 years without plans to do bike test?

Other than hassle of quick IBT recertification every two years (and provisional licence renewal online) there is not a major incentive to get full licence.

I’m on an 800cc with provisional. Insurance E340.

Job done?

I wonder do many people bounce from IBT to IBT every 2 years without plans to do bike test?

Other than hassle of quick IBT recertification every two years (and provisional licence renewal online) there is not a major incentive to get full licence.

Job done?

I'd doubt it. Who wants to wear the L tabard for their entire driving career!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I'd doubt it. Who wants to wear the L tabard for their entire driving career!

Who really wears the L Tabard though?

I've worn mine every day since I started but nearly every weekend I get talking to another biker out and about who are still on a Learner with no Tabard.

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Who really wears the L Tabard though?

I've worn mine every day since I started but nearly every weekend I get talking to another biker out and about who are still on a Learner with no Tabard.

I don’t wear it.

Reason - drivers try to kill me more when I’m wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I don’t wear it.

Reason - drivers try to kill me more when I’m wearing it.

I have to say, I never once experienced this phenomenon that L plates are targets. I instead wonder if the people wearing L plates (who are learners) simply place themselves in more dangerous situations due to their inexperience and lack of training.

The cops won't buy the "out to kill me" theory if they catch you. It's a fine and two points.

I got my full license as soon as the 6month window came up so that I could drive my bike in other countries.
    As far as I know if you are on an L plate if you are not meant to be in other countries and this does include Northern Ireland.
    You have an accident up there the insurance company will just void it once it they see your meant to be wearing an L tabbard and you wern't in Ireland.
    Same with the motorway.

https://borderpeople.info/a-z/driving-licences-in-northern-ireland.html

Job done?

ONe other thing, my insurance last year was 370 with a provisional. This year its 270, with a full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Job done?
    Nobody with a brain.

460-560 every 2 years + more expensive insurance

or

2300-2800 every 10 years + more expensive insurance
    vs
    80 every 10 years + cheaper insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

Looking for one to one lessons for a moped. Any recommendations, don’t need to do the IBT, just want some lessons. Dublin based.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 arkeda

Job done?

How old are you, what year is the bike, and what insurer?

I ask because I'm on a provisional and I have been quoted E900 for a Z650.

Advertisement