Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 25 cluane

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Concrete underneath. There are pros and cons to everything. Concrete is more expensive and repairing is bigger job. Irelands climate - better grip for aircraft when wet.

What about a parallel 16/34?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

cluane wrote: »

I think that would be a crazy idea. It's used so infrequently as it is and most of the time it is used is either for a temporary closures of 10/28 or to help with morning rush hour departures which won't be an issue with 2 independent runways.
    Good luck getting such a runway through the planning system with all the populated areas that would be under the flight path. No chance.

As far as I'm aware most new runways are asphalt anyway plus Ireland's climate is better suited for it it seems.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 cluane

Should the current 10/28 and the new one be extended to 3000ft to accomodate larger aircraft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Should the current 10/28 and the new one be extended to 3000ft to accomodate larger aircraft?

I’ve always been surprised that it wasn’t extended to some degree. There is space at either end, at the end of 10 especially. Without knowing the exact dimensions available space wise though having 10/28 designated at 2637 meters I’m thinking just as an amateur guesstimate it would be possible maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Whenever 34 is in operation for landings they moan and moan as far away as Dun Laoghaire. South side TDs wouldn’t wear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Whenever 34 is in operation for landings they moan and moan as far away as Dun Laoghaire. South side TDs wouldn’t wear it.

I doubt it would be a runner. If the threshold was at the other end of 10/28 it would mean an approach path directly over Ballymun, the rather tall Metro hotel as well as the built up Ballymun. Not gonna work.

Is this infrastructure I wonder... Well, in any event two contracts for catering services set to go to tender, including one for 21 food and drink units. I hope they follow through on the lofty words about delivering a "step change" in food quality and passenger satisfaction. Many of the eateries in Dublin Airport are absolutely crap, and the maintenance of some of them is shocking - the T2 bar seating upholstery is in bits for example.

As well as food quality, it would be great I think if they could introduce some of the tablet-ordering like you see in places like EWR. I really enjoy sitting down, selecting what I want and having it delivered to me quickly; and emailing the receipt for expenses afterwards. I'm a real loner traveler, the more I can reduce human interaction and make the thing efficient, vs having to grab a seat, then abandon a coat or something and go up to order. All the little things.
    “Dublin Airport has an ambition to become a destination for food, by helping our passengers feel a sense of connectedness to Ireland and by ensuring that everyone is well-fed and ready for their journey every time,” its managing director, Vincent Harrison, said.

“Passenger expectations of airport food have increased significantly, and we recognise that the food we offer at Dublin Airport is a key driver of overall passenger satisfaction,” he said, adding that they’re looking for a “step change”, aiming to install a “world-class food offer”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That Harvest Market or whatever it's called should be their first target for a 'step change'. It's absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Is this infrastructure I wonder... Well, in any event two contracts for catering services set to go to tender, including one for 21 food and drink units. I hope they follow through on the lofty words about delivering a "step change" in food quality and passenger satisfaction. Many of the eateries in Dublin Airport are absolutely crap, and the maintenance of some of them is shocking - the T2 bar seating upholstery is in bits for example.

Not to mention the fact that Chopped is invariably closed in the evenings.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

From the article: “Dublin Airport has an ambition to become a destination for food"

Hardly serious? Or simple PR drivel?

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    From the article: “Dublin Airport has an ambition to become a destination for food"

Look at it through the lens of wanting to be a connecting hub and it might make sense. That and just increasing the spend in the airport - I’ll actively try eat before I get there vs other airports with decent grub you’d get to a bit earlier specifically for the convenience of eating something decent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

The most cynical answer, and experience with DAA, shows the way : Excuse to rack up the rents. Never ever confuse anything DAA does with something that isnt focused on max profit at the expense of everything else. They have no competition and do not care.

The loss of Spar in arrivals of T2 was/is a pain. I really liked being able to buy milk on the way home from a journey without having to stop somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Noxegon wrote:
    The loss of Spar in arrivals of T2 was/is a pain. I really liked being able to buy milk on the way home from a journey without having to stop somewhere else.

Spar is still there. It's now on your left hand side as you exit from baggage reclaim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Noxegon wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that Chopped is invariably closed in the evenings.

Good few 'places' especially in T1 which ought to be shut down . just read comments on Tripadvisor to see what shocking service ( if it could be called that ) the public have to put up with.

Won't name them all as I haven't been in all the so-called eateries thus not fair to name and shame...I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    The most cynical answer, and experience with DAA, shows the way : Excuse to rack up the rents. Never ever confuse anything DAA does with something that isnt focused on max profit at the expense of everything else. They have no competition and do not care.

Rents are based on sales/turnover. There is nothing wrong with trying to increase revenue when there is downword pressure on charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good few 'places' especially in T1 which ought to be shut down . just read comments on Tripadvisor to see what shocking service ( if it could be called that ) the public have to put up with.

Won't name them all as I haven't been in all the so-called eateries thus not fair to name and shame...I think.

Moaning about them on Twitter and tagging the DAA usually gets apologies from both anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Noxegon wrote: »

Spar is on the left, has loads of milk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

As part of the North Runway works some taxiways are getting renamed on the 28th.

Taxiway B will become S. Exits from 28 will be renamed S1, S2 etc. H2 and M2 will become W1 and W2 respectively while P2 will become W3.

rushfan wrote: »
    Spar is still there. It's now on your left hand side as you exit from baggage reclaim.

Excellent. I must be blind in that case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Rents are based on sales/turnover. There is nothing wrong with trying to increase revenue when there is downword pressure on charges.

Thats only in Terminal 1, Terminal 2 is monthly rent and a percentage of the mothly sales too

billie1b wrote: »
    Thats only in Terminal 1, Terminal 2 is monthly rent and a percentage of the mothly sales too

Interesting, guess T1 is a legacy one they want to replace with T2 if they can in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

As i said, take the most cynical interpretation and you'll be correct. "A food destination" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

L1011 wrote: »
    Moaning about them on Twitter and tagging the DAA usually gets apologies from both anyway

I don't do Twitter/FB etc so cannot moan about them.

Would be amazed though if neither Burger King or Soho were not moaned about on Twitter though ( and as far as I know they are owned by the same company).

Both of these are an embarrassment to T1 IMHO.:(

I don't do Twitter/FB etc so cannot moan about them.

Would be amazed though if neither Burger King or Soho were not moaned about on Twitter though ( and as far as I know they are owned by the same company).

Both of these are an embarrassment to T1 IMHO.:(
    At least you know what you’re getting with a chain like BK, but what frustrates me greatly is that in both terminals they seem to live a fairly relaxed pace of life. Not what you should be doing when all your customers are on a timer.

Marquette in airside T1 is the one that really gets me. It's a bit chaotic especially when various family members are requiring something different to everyone else. The layout is confusing. I far prefer the Slaney in T2, at least you have your table in advance of eating. Nothing worse than just having paid at the till , then standing holding a tray or two , waiting for someone to vacate a table. Although, occasionally intimidation works!ðŸ˜

Marquette in airside T1 is the one that really gets me. It's a bit chaotic especially when various family members are requiring something different to everyone else. The layout is confusing. I far prefer the Slaney in T2, at least you have your table in advance of eating. Nothing worse than just having paid at the till , then standing holding a tray or two , waiting for someone to vacate a table. Although, occasionally intimidation works!ðŸ˜

Marquette is miles ahead of Slaney food wise though. Slaney is run by the same company that run BK and Soho (SSP), food is absolute muck

Marquette is miles ahead of Slaney food wise though. Slaney is run by the same company that run BK and Soho (SSP), food is absolute muck

Generally just stick to the tried and trusted "toast & tea " if on an early flight. Never ever have the scrambled eggs, they're delivered in powder form. The Oak bar is the same. Showing my age here too in that I'm always amazed by how many are getting stuck into the pints at 5am or so.

Showing my age here too in that I'm always amazed by how many are getting stuck into the pints at 5am or so.

It's the only time I'll drink that early :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I wouldn't travel as frequently through Dublin airport as I used to but it certainly seems more chaotic of late. Peak time crowding (not helped by the narrow layout in T1, Security (did away with family queues as a nice backwards step), and the ever present stopgap transport solution.

I'm all for expansion and can't wait until the new runway opens but bloody hell, I'm scared to think of how manic the terminals will be by 2022/23 if we don't see a T3 or complete refurb of T1

What are the confidence levels amoung us that we may see a world class facility developing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Two questions for the well informed :

1) Do all buses for the red carpark do the loop from T1 to T2 then carpark ? It exiting T1, and there isnt a bus right there or pulling up, are you better off walking over to T2 pickup, where you might save time, but you wont lose any ?

2) The 'South Gates' prefab building from T2. How long will that be there, and where is the proper extension to T2 going ?

2) planning is for 5 years but will likely be a few extra and new gates will be in the Cargo area so close to current S Gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see the updated plan for the metro being released tomorrow.

I hope there will be some sort of indoor connection (underground passageways) or something linking both terminals to the station at the airport.

Be a bit silly to have to walk outside across roads and parking/bus drop off facilities to reach the station.

See here for location of station

https://www.metrolink.ie/#/map

I hope there will be some sort of indoor connection (underground passageways) or something linking both terminals to the station at the airport.

Be a bit silly to have to walk outside across roads and parking/bus drop off facilities to reach the station.

If they do, it would be a good idea to do a link to the buses as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Have you lived here long?
    I don’t hold out hope for an interior or even outside covered walkway.

• Advertisement

Aye,

Well, I assume the vast majority of incoming visitors going to the city center would abandon the buses (maybe taxis too) in favor of an underground link.

So we could end up with a farcical situation of passengers having to stream out in to the open from both terminals having to walk, across roads, outside to get to the station.

Sigh.

The station should be under one of the terminals with an underground passenger connection to the other.

Once again we will be left with the most feckless option.

I don't mind it being away from the terminals if it's underground. Just look at Frankfurt, that works well (although on a huge scale)

Well if it's replacing the T2 short term car park, that has a covered walkway into T2. It's a longer walk down to T1 but it's also covered isn't it?

I don't mind it being away from the terminals if it's underground. Just look at Frankfurt, that works well (although on a huge scale)

Heathrow too, although that one is so long it's a pain.

I think we'll get an overground walkway, but it will be covered, as it already is about 80% currently.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Heathrow too, although that one is so long it's a pain.

I think we'll get an overground walkway, but it will be covered, as it already is about 80% currently.

I guess that's acceptable...

...for a regional airport in the north east of England.

For a major airport with notions of being a big hub? Probably not.

The proper approach is to have the station under one of the terminals (connected to the other terminal via an underground passenger link), we won't get that because that's much too sensible. So we are on to the "it'll do approach" which is at the short term surface car park. Fine. Then at least put in proper underground links to both terminals...

As stated, this is Ireland, and thus that won't happen either.

• Advertisement

It'll be 100m walk from the station to T2, and 135m to the doors of the T1 car park. I'm finding it extremely hard to get worked up about this being a problem to be honest.

Station under the terminals? Pointlessly expensive, disruptive, and likely to put the entire project in jeopardy (for an airport link that isn't even close to being it's primary purpose)

Underground walkway? Again, pointlessly expensive. None of the traveler accessible parts of the airport terminals are underground, so what's the point?

A covered walkway at ground floor would do, throw in some travelators and heating if necessary. Sure, make it an elevated walkway even, why not, T2 arrivals are on the second floor after all. These options would still be significantly cheaper than anything needlessly stuck underground.

In case you're going to whine about walking distances next:
    Paris CDG to RER station = 180m minimum
    LHR T2 to Underground = 250m
    Washington Dulles to (not yet built) Silver Line Metro station = 170m
    Berlin TXL = Oh wait they only have buses....

But sure, only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

I guess that's acceptable...

...for a regional airport in the north east of England.

For a major airport with notions of being a big hub? Probably not.

The proper approach is to have the station under one of the terminals (connected to the other terminal via an underground passenger link), we won't get that because that's much too sensible. So we are on to the "it'll do approach" which is at the short term surface car park. Fine. Then at least put in proper underground links to both terminals...

As stated, this is Ireland, and thus that won't happen either.

Its a short enough walk, I don't see what the fuss is! Have you ever used Barcelona airport? Covered walkway not exposed to the elements is perfectly acceptable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Its a short enough walk, I don't see what the fuss is! Have you ever used Barcelona airport? Covered walkway not exposed to the elements is perfectly acceptable.

I would agree, as noted above a station under an existing terminal or an underground walkway would be needlessly expensive.
    “Not exposed to the elements” is the important point above a possible walkway connector.
    EG, the ground level outside T2 is completely exposed, the high roofs do feck all to protect people from wind and rain.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

well, I won't hold my breath on any decent train infrastructure if the present Bus system is anything to go by, it's an unmitigated disaster, no waiting area that's suitable for bad weather, and no sensible indications of what buses are due at the stands. Hate the place, having used it on a number of occasions, and it's even worse if you're then stuck in a wet, windy and cold supposed shelter waiting for a bus that's up to 30 minutes late. Not a good way to impress visitors.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

well, I won't hold my breath on any decent train infrastructure if the present Bus system is anything to go by, it's an unmitigated disaster, no waiting area that's suitable for bad weather, and no sensible indications of what buses are due at the stands. Hate the place, having used it on a number of occasions, and it's even worse if you're then stuck in a wet, windy and cold supposed shelter waiting for a bus that's up to 30 minutes late. Not a good way to impress visitors.

Well its possible that they will overhaul the entire place once a station has been put in, covered walkway that also connects to the bus stops.

I'm just a fan of doing things right, not half-right and corners cut.

If we are going to spend €3bn on a metro from the airport we shouldn't penny pinch and make it as good an experience as possible for visitors to the country and those who use the airport.

It's an opportunity for those visitors to have a great first impression of the country too.

I hate the "it'll do" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The circular building on this seems to be the metro station and looks to be connected by an airbridge to T2 (click for bigger version). Its from the old outdated masterplan but shows that they're at least considering it.

For T1 an underground link would definitely make sense and if they're totally redoing the bus area it could be done fairly cheaply with cut & cover

004148image.jpg

That doesn't solve T1 though unless everyone is shifted through T2 - passengers would still have to walk mostly outside presumably from T1.

That doesn't solve T1 though unless everyone is shifted through T2 - passengers would still have to walk mostly outside presumably from T1.

You can walk between T1 and T2 both airside and landside without ever going outdoors.

MJohnston wrote: »
    You can walk between T1 and T2 both airside and landside without ever going outdoors.

I don't think funneling everyone from T1 through the existing landside walkway between the terminals in a runner.

Unless the link was widened and rebuilt with travelators.

I can see how it could work as a main route to the metro with proper signage in T1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement