Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are people thinking of this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

lbj666 wrote: »
    Am i right in saying there was a direct train from geneva to cham and it be up again soon . Was this throught the airport?

Dont think so. There is certainly a train station there but I think it took a while to get there by train from Geneva and required changes. Think an airport transfer can be gotten for as little as 25 - 35 euro each way though, very busy route. Can be done in about an hour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

we heading to meribel in france. first time going snowboarding and no idea what to expect when we get there. seriously looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mollybird wrote: »
    we heading to meribel in france. first time going snowboarding and no idea what to expect when we get there. seriously looking forward to it :)

going to do a day or so boarding next trip if I can also, will have the impact shorts and anti inflammatories packed defo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

mollybird wrote: »

Meribel is lovely, it's below the treeline so it's very scenic, the slopes are well groomed, it's an all round nice spot, you'll enjoy it.

Chamonix with the ucpa booked 2nd of Jan, woohoo, can't wait!

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    Meribel is lovely, it's below the treeline so it's very scenic, the slopes are well groomed, it's an all round nice spot, you'll enjoy it.

Best piste skiing in the world in the 3v s imo. Total crack cocaine hard lining skiing. Give me more. MORE I TELL YOU MORE! And they do!

a148pro wrote: »
    Best piste skiing in the world in the 3v s imo. Total crack cocaine hard lining skiing. Give me more. MORE I TELL YOU MORE! And they do!

Yep, and I'll be there in 109 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Never been but , looking at the prices its what you'd normally get there for a week in avoriaz in march but the festival is thrown in for free. No doubt the doubt they make that money back behind the bar :D Expect the apartments to be pokey though.

That party in Aquariaz does sound cool .

This looks really good actually. As long as you do it the Irish way and be well ''stocked'' going over ;)

Can't really find reviews for the place though

Edit: Found out a bit more. Festival has only been running for 5 years although they expect 4000 people this year (Resort can take up to 8000). This Avoriaz resort looks really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tommy Crowne

Well, that's Flaine booked for late January. Never been before but looks pretty sweet.
    The countdown begins.

Just been annoying myself looking at skyscanner, Still loads of either very early or late season seats with Swissair return to Geneva for as low as 67euros. Could sneak in a very very cheap long ski weekend (or well 5days), the UCPA do a nice few early and late season packages to the higher up resorts like Val Thorens/VDI. Likes of 500e all in would easily cover it. Probably cheaper than a long weekend in some European city which I was thinking off initially!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 xchancellor

I was looking myself at the late season flights. Seems the ones I took in April from Belfast (11/04-18/04) won't be available next year. Looked at Dublin dep 09/06 returning 16/04, but the problem is the return flight is early on Saturday dep Geneva at 10.40, which is too for the UCPA transfer from Val Thorens (which I think advises flights no earlier than 11.30 or similar). Hope it doesn't come to indirect flights, albeit the flights could appear from Belfast yet.

Too early to be stressing about April maybe

I was looking myself at the late season flights. Seems the ones I took in April from Belfast (11/04-18/04) won't be available next year. Looked at Dublin dep 09/06 returning 16/04, but the problem is the return flight is early on Saturday dep Geneva at 10.40, which is too for the UCPA transfer from Val Thorens (which I think advises flights no earlier than 11.30 or similar). Hope it doesn't come to indirect flights, albeit the flights could appear from Belfast yet.

Too early to be stressing about April maybe

If there are afew of ya defo hire a car, Bens Bus is the worst transfer in the world ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just been annoying myself looking at skyscanner, Still loads of either very early or late season seats with Swissair return to Geneva for as low as 67euros. Could sneak in a very very cheap long ski weekend (or well 5days), the UCPA do a nice few early and late season packages to the higher up resorts like Val Thorens/VDI. Likes of 500e all in would easily cover it. Probably cheaper than a long weekend in some European city which I was thinking off initially!

Do it...you know it makes sense :D

cormee wrote: »
    Yep, and I'll be there in 109 days :D

Cormee I've no doubt you've a calendar up on the walls scratching the days off, and you still start each one by whipping open the curtains to see if by some chance its snowed here in the meantime:pac:

a148pro wrote: »
    Cormee I've no doubt you've a calendar up on the walls scratching the days off, and you still start each one by whipping open the curtains to see if by some chance its snowed here in the meantime:pac:

It's all high-tech nowadays a148pro!

Screenshot.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

That's cool, what app is it?

maddness wrote: »
    That's cool, what app is it?

Just three different widgets I use on the same screen. One is a countdown, one a weather, and the other is a webcam widget.

Only available on Android though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

First trip booked, second still in talks. Saalbach maybe... Anyone been?

DIY is working out quite well this year, cheap flights and AirBnB has exploded in the alps this year. I've never seen as many properties there and I've been looking every year. At this rate a third trip could be affordable, not sure I can afford the time off work though!

stevire wrote: »
    First trip booked, second still in talks. Saalbach maybe... Anyone been?

DIY is working out quite well this year, cheap flights and AirBnB has exploded in the alps this year. I've never seen as many properties there and I've been looking every year. At this rate a third trip could be affordable, not sure I can afford the time off work though!

How muchy is an all in trip usually for ya? You got much of a group?

Timmaay wrote: »
    How muchy is an all in trip usually for ya? You got much of a group?

Currently working out around the 700e mark for Flights (exc. baggage), Transfers, 4-bed Apartment and Ski Pass in Saalbach. The apartment looks great, we have a group of about 13 interested so far with more considering. Hopefully book something this weekend and the rest will follow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Just booked the second trip for next year. 2 weeks in Mayrhofen March/April but I'll actually be up at tux all the time. I like the town but have never been impressed with the slopes there. Also happens to be a big birthday for me during that trip so lots of Jager.

Haven't booked the first trip yet. Need to decide where to go end of Jan/start of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just booked the second trip for next year. 2 weeks in Mayrhofen March/April but I'll actually be up at tux all the time. I like the town but have never been impressed with the slopes there. Also happens to be a big birthday for me during that trip so lots of Jager.

Haven't booked the first trip yet. Need to decide where to go end of Jan/start of Feb.

You talking just about the slopes by tux /hintertux or the zittertal area in general.

Thinking about going to mayrhofen this year.

You talking just about the slopes by tux /hintertux or the zittertal area in general.

Thinking about going to mayrhofen this year.

I enjoy the slopes at Hintertux very much. 4 weeks there this year (2015) and 2 last year I think. In Mayrhofen I just don't enoy the slopes. Many many many other people do. In Hintertux the slopes a wide and long if you are into piste bashed runs but I can go way off piste there.

Anytime I've gone up the mountain in Mayrhofen I've cut across to Rastkogel.

If you're into the park you have the choice of Maryhofen, Hintertux and there's another down the road at Zell am Ziller. I liked the runs there too.

There's different ski passes that cover the areas. Usually I get one that covers the valley but I don't think Zell am Ziller is included. This year I had a snowcard which gave me access to all of Tirol for the season.

Going to Mayrhofen for the second trip at end of Feb. Penkenbahn was replaced too which will hopefully improve queues, particularly for getting back down. Wonder if they will have a promo for the new lift?

Will spend more time at the Tux this time around too, only spent a day there on the last trip and it was great.

Is the early bird for SnowCard over? When and how much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Hi All,

Booking a group trip for 6 usually go with directski or crystal but doing diy for the first time. Quick question, can st. anton lift passes be bought online anywhere? Would be a pain to have to queue at the lift pass office on the first day of boarding!

Hi All,

Booking a group trip for 6 usually go with directski or crystal but doing diy for the first time. Quick question, can st. anton lift passes be bought online anywhere? Would be a pain to have to queue at the lift pass office on the first day of boarding!

If bought online you'd still have to collect no?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

You would (unless they'd post them) but it might get you ahead if there was a queue on the Sunday morning at the lift pass office. With the travel companies they have them for you on the Sat evening when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just booked Westendorf (as usual) February 20th all systems go ! Snow on the Talkaser already. Yee ha.

A lot of the resorts in the USA seem to have opened already. The American snowboarding Twitter accounts are depressing me - people buying their season tickets and heading for their first weekend on the slopes in October. :(

• Advertisement

I enjoy the slopes at Hintertux very much. 4 weeks there this year (2015) and 2 last year I think. In Mayrhofen I just don't enoy the slopes. Many many many other people do. In Hintertux the slopes a wide and long if you are into piste bashed runs but I can go way off piste there.

Anytime I've gone up the mountain in Mayrhofen I've cut across to Rastkogel.

If you're into the park you have the choice of Maryhofen, Hintertux and there's another down the road at Zell am Ziller. I liked the runs there too.

There's different ski passes that cover the areas. Usually I get one that covers the valley but I don't think Zell am Ziller is included. This year I had a snowcard which gave me access to all of Tirol for the season.

I liked the slopes at Mayr, nice and steep, didn't get the impression there was a huge amount of off piste though but was only there for one day. never made it to tux or zillertal arena, kaltenbach and hochfugen worth a day or two though and reasonable off piste in the latter (and great on slope food by Austrian standards).

Advertisement