Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Reserve Experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

in control wrote: »
    Working as a GR for some time and generally find it a good experience. However it baffles me why we do not have any powers in relation to public disorder. Every duty i complete has an element of public order and it is frustrating to be in situations like this where you have no more powers than the average citizen. I appreciate that the GR is still in the learning phase but the word is that Garda management are generally very happy with the caliber of candidate in the GR. Another issue is the fixed charge penalty system . At present you can stop some one for a motoring offence but your GR reg no cannot access the system to put the offence on Pulse. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Very interesting point In Control.At least you can get into Pulse not one Reserve in our Division has received Pulse training yet and is unlikely to for some time. Hell we haven't even received our epaulets so now cannot go out on to the streets as we are unidentifiable to the public.This is all very frustrating as we are blue in the face highlighting it.
    What powers do we have under Road traffic.I know we have 107 and 109 buit can we sieze a car for out of date tax and insurance or is that something only a full time member can do.Can we issue parking tickets,fixed penalty charges for mobile phone usage while driving etc.Would be most interested in a response from those have been doing the job for a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

Very interesting point In Control.At least you can get into Pulse not one Reserve in our Division has received Pulse training yet and is unlikely to for some time. Hell we haven't even received our epaulets so now cannot go out on to the streets as we are unidentifiable to the public.This is all very frustrating as we are blue in the face highlighting it.
    What powers do we have under Road traffic.I know we have 107 and 109 buit can we sieze a car for out of date tax and insurance or is that something only a full time member can do.Can we issue parking tickets,fixed penalty charges for mobile phone usage while driving etc.Would be most interested in a response from those have been doing the job for a year or so.

Have put your questions and others to members in my division but get totally different answers depending on who you ask. Regarding epaulets the lady in the reserve office in Santry is very helpful and will expedite the requests for you . The general feeling regarding your authority here is if you are not sure dont do it so nobody will get in bother. The whole thing can be very fustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fatted

Another issue is the fixed charge penalty system . At present you can stop some one for a motoring offence but your GR reg no cannot access the system to put the offence on Pulse. Any comments greatly appreciated.

The Garda Reserve have no power to issue fixed penalty notices. Fixed penalty notices are issued under section 103 of the Road Traffic Acts 1961-2006. Reserve Gardai have powers under section 40,69, 107 and 109 only!

fatted wrote: »
    The Garda Reserve have no power to issue fixed penalty notices. Fixed penalty notices are issued under section 103 of the Road Traffic Acts 1961-2006. Reserve Gardai have powers under section 40,69, 107 and 109 only!
    Take your point .I am curious if this is subject to review at any stage . My understanding is that GR members have the same power as full time officers but are restricted in that authority by the Commissioner . Is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Take your point .I am curious if this is subject to review at any stage . My understanding is that GR members have the same power as full time officers but are restricted in that authority by the Commissioner . Is this true?

It is true In Control, we are restricted to the powers given to us by the Commisioner. We are members of An Garda Siochana, and do have full powers which may be given or dealt down by the Commissioner as he sees fit.

I know personally that not having Public Order a major pain. It is quite difficult to "do" anything in a large station without these powers. I dn't particularly want to go around arresting people, but if I tell someone to move on and they don't I pretty much have to rely on my full timer to arrest for me!
    However, if he doesn't share the same views as me then I look like an eejit.
    If we tell someone to put their drink in the bin etc and they refude, I'm in the same situation as above.
    I think we should even have the By-laws especially on a Sat night in Dub City Centre.
    Or should have been put in a station where the bread and butter stuff isn't Public Order, shoplifting Etc. It can be quite hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

It does. Its clearly stated in the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and in the Rules and Regulations for the Garda Reserve.

Indeed.

Just like full members, Reserve members are responsible for their own actions. A Reserve member doesn't arrest someone on someone else's instructions unless they are happy there is an offence _and_ they have the power to do so.

All of the above is correct but solid information did not filter through in the beginning, and some Reserves were already on the streets before actual instructions were issued, this has now been resolved

It does. Its clearly stated in the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and in the Rules and Regulations for the Garda Reserve.

Indeed.

Just like full members, Reserve members are responsible for their own actions. A Reserve member doesn't arrest someone on someone else's instructions unless they are happy there is an offence _and_ they have the power to do so.
    controller wrote: »
    Well from where I stand as an applicant, I'm beginning to re-think, why on earth would anyone want to be apart of something that is obviously not well thought out? Any professional organisation especially a police force should have set rules. I notice some posters to this site are already GR members, and they don't know their powers?? Furthermore, would the powers that be not think it their place to ensure that every full-timer knows the role of a GR, it would appear negligent to send people out on the streets, without them knowing fully what is expected of them. If the full-timers do not know their limits they may issue a GR with an instruction outside their limits.

Also controller, you dont have to have extra/all powers to physicaly make a difference when on patrol, and I dont mean physical strength, sometimes and indeed most times talking to someone will diffuse a problem. Thats when you get the pat on the back. Visable presence is a strong tool, so dont get too discouraged. The first time a Guard that is with you says " Just as well you were with me, that could have turned nasty", you will understand why the Reserve will work in the long term, irrespective of what powers of arrest are deemed necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

I am curious about the money too,
    also where do I go about getting the epaulets,I know people attested since mid-summer who do not have any and others not allowed out because they do not have them.Is it up to the station to assign epaulet numbers? and then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

Just curious, But has any of the Reservists who started off last year, been paid the €1000 yet, to cover petrol and other costs, e.g. driving to Templemore..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

The Big E wrote: »
    Just curious, But has any of the Reservists who started off last year, been paid the €1000 yet, to cover petrol and other costs, e.g. driving to Templemore..

The €1000 is only paid once you have completed your 208 hours, and is basically just to cover your expenses of going to and from your station, plus any food expenses. Going to and from Tempemore is covered by yourself, although in saying that there was a bloke from Donegal in my class who had to stay in a hotel the night before the Phase 1 and Phase 3 courses. Anyway he was told to e-mail the Garda Reserve office in HQ about claiming this back, but I have no idea how he got on with this.

pat1187 wrote: »
    I am curious about the money too,
    also where do I go about getting the epaulets,I know people attested since mid-summer who do not have any and others not allowed out because they do not have them.Is it up to the station to assign epaulet numbers? and then what?

Pat I hear the epaulets are been sourced??
    Maybe you should ring Divisionsal headquarters to confirm that your lot are included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

star gazer wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that the Reserve has had a slow but steady start? The poll question: is it here to stay?

I think this is very fair comment, its a slow steady start but now reserves are getting established in the stations,i have experienced working with a few now in different stations south of the liffey and so far so good.

One thing i have noticed is that many of reserves and indeed young Gardai want to be out and about all the time, when really sometimes having a reserve inside manning the station, the command and control system etc while some one else is on break would be a big benefit to the unit, not very exciting as such , but necessary, plus it means I don't have to pull a full time member of the streets to relieve the station, particularly on a friday/ or Sat night when its busy and I need bodies outside and when most reserves seem to work.

I think its fair to say they have been well received and certainly the reserve attached to our unit has settled in well, it was a bit strange at first because
    it was a learning curve for me as well, not knowing what they could and could not do, but know the regulations/guide has been published and everything is in black and white more or less. Prisoners is still a bit of a grey area, and my only comment about public order arrests is that I guess the thinking is that you will always be with a full time member, plus it avoids you having to get time time off work to go to court.

vasch_ro wrote: »
    I think this is very fair comment, its a slow steady start but now reserves are getting established in the stations,i have experienced working with a few now in different stations south of the liffey and so far so good.

One thing i have noticed is that many of reserves and indeed young Gardai want to be out and about all the time, when really sometimes having a reserve inside manning the station, the command and control system etc while some one else is on break would be a big benefit to the unit, not very exciting as such , but necessary, plus it means I don't have to pull a full time member of the streets to relieve the station, particularly on a friday/ or Sat night when its busy and I need bodies outside and when most reserves seem to work.

I think its fair to say they have been well received and certainly the reserve attached to our unit has settled in well, it was a bit strange at first because
    it was a learning curve for me as well, not knowing what they could and could not do, but know the regulations/guide has been published and everything is in black and white more or less. Prisoners is still a bit of a grey area, and my only comment about public order arrests is that I guess the thinking is that you will always be with a full time member, plus it avoids you having to get time time off work to go to court.

Its good to see an honest and open opinion from a full time member, fair play vasch, and it is a valid point releasing members to beats with a Reservist covering front counter/public office/c&c etc.

geo1212 wrote: »
    Its good to see an honest and open opinion from a full time member, fair play vasch, and it is a valid point releasing members to beats with a Reservist covering front counter/public office/c&c etc.

Hi forgive me if I am wrong but is it not up to the Unit sergeant to decide where the Reserve member is best placed during a shift.I for one have done my fair share on the comms desk and on the front desk.I thought the whole concept of The Garda Reserve was to be seen out and about in the community.I am open to correction on this point.

Hi forgive me if I am wrong but is it not up to the Unit sergeant to decide where the Reserve member is best placed during a shift.I for one have done my fair share on the comms desk and on the front desk.I thought the whole concept of The Garda Reserve was to be seen out and about in the community.I am open to correction on this point.

Might be a crossed wire baton, what I meant was if that was what was required on whatever particular shift then thats why were there in the first place to assist where necassary. I would guess that some of the smaller stations with very small units would have to have whatever resources available on a weekend out and about, but if that meant releasing a Guard to outdoor duty instead of a Reservist it would make more sence. At the same time if your been given station duties every shift, I understand where your coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hughdub

Hi all.. Just been reading the few posts about hours available to work etc. I have worked a variety of early, late and nights. Your hours of work with the reserves are worked around your own outside commitments ie. family and work. Your liason Insp. will be aware of your prior commitments and hours available and will work around these, BUT ONLY IF YOU LET HIM/HER KNOW!! I completely understand peoples wish not to be sitting around a station doing nothing but in reality if your sitting around doing nothing well then you only have yourself to blame. Everytime you go on duty no matter what time you must take the opportunity as a learning experience and ask questions and get involved in whatever is going on. My own feeling is that if you restrict your duties to weekend nights then all you'll get to see is your area in the dark and people coming to and from pubs/clubs etc. This is operationally a very important time to be visible, but remember that so much more happens throughout the day and the only way you'll get to see the greatest variety of work is by working a variety of shifts. This is just my opinion and experience to date but I restate the fact that if you find yourself sitting around a station doing nothing then you are wasting a valuable opportunity to learn new things. ''Here endeth the lesson''. Congratulations to all who attested and graduated on the 13th Dec, was good to see you all again and the best of luck to you all in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

lehanmore
    As I said in another post,don't hesitate to go to your local health board clinic or whomever deals with Birth Certs and ask them for help as its all computerized now.

As for work hours,you can only do it when you can,its only 4 hours a week. Some time it may suit to do an 8 hour shift as I have done,remember they ask for 208 hours a year.
    Also there is nothing as bad as being in the station with nothing to do,but as you get to know people it gets easier and the Gardai really isn't the place for '' shrinking violets'' (if thats the proper term)

My 2 cents on this site being monitored by the college, thats very welcome,and any questions or concerns answered the better.
    however I suppose we really do not and can not know who else is reading all this, so discretion is advised.

My number 1187 was my first telephone number (U.S.) in case anyone's wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

any Reserve Gardai working Christmas Eve/Christmas Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

lehanemore wrote: »

Why would anyone in their right mind volunteer to come on either day, especially as they're not getting paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Maybe they didn't celebrate Christmas for religious or cultural reasons? Otherwise it seems altogether over-enthusiastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

cushtac wrote: »
    Why would anyone in their right mind volunteer to come on either day, especially as they're not getting paid?
    because they probably enjoy what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

paul666 wrote: »
    because they probably enjoy what they do
    Well said, that's exactly it! When it becomes a chore or a "second paying job" then its time to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Well said, that's exactly it! When it becomes a chore or a "second paying job" then its time to quit.

Hi,are you in kildare reserves?

Hi,are you in kildare reserves?
    DMRS.

Actually, I worked a 10-6 last Christmas Eve, with a couple of others, and its one of the few days in the year when you get a smile and a nod rather than "what are they looking at", so was happy to do it, unable to work tomorrow due to family commitments, but probably would if I was free.
    1 yr+ doing it now and have no regrets.

civdef wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't celebrate Christmas for religious or cultural reasons? Otherwise it seems altogether over-enthusiastic.

Out of curiousity, would it be fair to assume from your comment that part time / unpaid Lifeboat crews / St. Johns / Rape crisis / Homeless Assistance / Social workers / Samartains / Fire crews, the list is endless, who give up their time are "altogether over-enthusiastic"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not really, I'm a member of a voluntary organisation myself, and like the rest of the year I'll be available if something happens, but that doesn't mean you'll find me down at the base on Christmas morning doing paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mugginsgalore

Well you did say ( in their right minds ) !!!

They're not paid.

we know.

we know.

Tell leinsterdude, he called it a second paying job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

What are you on about I didnt,are you joking???

civdef wrote: »
    Not really, I'm a member of a voluntary organisation myself, and like the rest of the year I'll be available if something happens, but that doesn't mean you'll find me down at the base on Christmas morning doing paperwork.

Point taken, perhaps I came across a little strong, did'nt mean to offend.

What are you on about I didnt,are you joking???

12 posts back, posted yesterday at 1500.

Tell leinsterdude, he called it a second paying job.
    My "second paying job" comment refers to those that look on the reserves as as a few bob at the end of the year and are constantly moaning that they have not been paid yet. Believe it or not there are some of us that would do it for nothing and others for whom the gratuity will not even cover the expenses of refs and travel to the stations. Some of us have happily given some of our free time, for no pay, to either our communities or the state for many years without the (dare i say) excitement, thrills and serious responsibility of An Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

I personally think its a bit sad that reserves/specials come in on Christmas and New years. I get paid to work Christmas but I'd much rather have the time off to be with my family to be honest. Go in and do it for free? No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The idea of the reserves (please correct me if I'm wrong) is basically this:
    - do a lot of the minor work which keeps regular Guards from major work, there by freeing up more regular guards for the street
    - strength in numbers, more manpower behind the existing guards with less training involved

So in theory it should solve the problem is not enough Guards on the street, at least to an extent, that you are going on about.

Ok, so it's not a perfect idea and maybe more full time guards are required .. but it's certainly a help I reckon.

I get the feeling that no matter how well thought out it is and implimented, there are always going to be naysayers and moaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Benny Kerry

I get the feeling that no matter how well thought out it is and implimented, there are always going to be naysayers and moaners.

Given that this is exactly what the full time GS have to listen to, i.e., some people are supportive and some are anything but, does this mean that GR are now accepted into society - that is, for better or for worse, for richer or poorer etc etc, they are now a part of the fabric of our society?

Food for thought.

Be careful out there.

how are you getting on Benny, what are your experiences to date? good or bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Benny Kerry

Hi lehanemore, thanks for the enquiry. I'm good. My 'real job' is keeping me busy but as I have stated before, the acceptance of the GR will be little by little. It will be down to each person to show that it can work.

Take care out there.

I have to say I still get the invariable question "Why are you doing this ?Would you not rather be at home with your family etc". I was told by a full time Garda that they resent our lack of powers insofar as ie.Public order they have to process all the paper work on arrest as our powers are so limited.While we are been accepted I still think there is an air of suspicion with some."How can you be doing this for nothing are there not more worthy causes you could be giving your time to".
    Like everything I think it takes time.But having said that I think some Gardai have forgotten why they too joined in the first place. I don't believe everything should centre around money for instance.What about giving for giving sake.

Having followed this thread since the beginning I can honestly say that I don't care how we are seen by the rest of the force. We are the ones giving freely of our time to (hopefully) benefit society. If some members cannot see the advantages of having another person beside them when they go to perform a difficult arrest then frankly I have very little respect for such short sightedness. Even if the Reserve cannot make the actual arrest the presence of another uniform is bound to help diffuse the situation. How anyone who is trained to talk people down and avoid physical confrontation can moan about that is beyond me. We merely increase the presence of the Gardai on the streets and that has to be a good thing.

Anyway I don't see myself attesting and suddenly becoming some sort of crime fighting superhero. What I do see is me performing what is required of me, to the best of my ability, within the constraints imposed on me. I think if we all did that no members would be in a position to give out.
    I can't argue with most of what you have said collieg, although I must admit personally I do care what my full time colleagues think of me, for at the end of the day you don't want to be giving up your hard earned spare time to work with people who don't like you because of what your doing. Most of us reserves have been pleasantly surprised by the level of goodwill and
    co-operation given to us by our fulltime colleagues, for while most of them find it amazing that we would do this for nothing, on the whole I would feel that most of them respect us for it. The Reserve Force is barely a year old, so as with any new concept there are bound to be teething problems, and there probably is still a sizeable amount of members out there opposed to the concept. However with our hard work, hopefully in years to come reserve members will be seen as a valuable asset to the full time force, and will be widely accepted by ordinary members and management alike. While I feel that at the end of the day we will always be outsiders, it is still incumbent on all of us to the pave the way for present and future reserve members.

V
    gilly2308 wrote: »
    I can't argue with most of what you have said collieg, although I must admit personally I do care what my full time colleagues think of me, for at the end of the day you don't want to be giving up your hard earned spare time to work with people who don't like you because of what your doing. Most of us reserves have been pleasantly surprised by the level of goodwill and
    co-operation given to us by our fulltime colleagues, for while most of them find it amazing that we would do this for nothing, on the whole I would feel that most of them respect us for it. The Reserve Force is barely a year old, so as with any new concept there are bound to be teething problems, and there probably is still a sizeable amount of members out there opposed to the concept. However with our hard work, hopefully in years to come reserve members will be seen as a valuable asset to the full time force, and will be widely accepted by ordinary members and management alike. While I feel that at the end of the day we will always be outsiders, it is still incumbent on all of us to the pave the way for present and future reserve members.

Very good thread and i fully agree with what you say . I have been in GR nearly a year now and was the first one in the division so I was a novelty to say the least. Yes there was friction at first and some who just ignored you but if you tough it out it is worth it. Yes it costs me time and money to do it and there were times when I asked myself was it worth the hassle. went to the christmas party with the unit and had great time . Took a lot of slagging from the lads but finally felt welcome. My advice to all is stick it out ,keep your sense of humour and believe you are doing a worthwhile job as well as paving the way for those who come after you.

Hi was just wondering are there many attested reserves attending the conference in Dublin on Saturday week? If so what is the quickest route coming from the South east please.

Hi was just wondering are there many attested reserves attending the conference in Dublin on Saturday week? If so what is the quickest route coming from the South east please.

Hi Baton,

Think most will attend, best thing to do is to log on to AAireland/routeplanner and pop in your start and finish points, it will be the most up to date route, given traffic / road works etc.

I am heading from the meath/louth area if any one wants a lift from that area, I can take up to three, as am collecting one in swords already, I dont mind headin north on m1 for anyone who needs a lift from further up the country.

Geo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

gilly2308 wrote: »
    . . . although I must admit personally I do care what my full time colleagues think of me, for at the end of the day you don't want to be giving up your hard earned spare time to work with people who don't like you because of what your doing. Most of us reserves have been pleasantly surprised by the level of goodwill and
    co-operation given to us by our fulltime colleagues, for while most of them find it amazing that we would do this for nothing, on the whole I would feel that most of them respect us for it.

I'm not sure if I actually made myself clear there Gilly. I don't mean I have no respect for any Gardai that I might have to work with. I mean obviously I do or I wouldn't be doing this in the first place ;)

It's more the Gardai who wish to use the Reserve as the butt of all their problems. The "ashtray on a motorbike" brigade. I think theirs is a very shortsighted view and does not fully take into account the benefits we present.

Fair enough we may not have the skill levels that a full time Garda would have but then again even if we had, we would have no cause to use them as we are sure to be accompanied.

I don't believe and nor do I think anyone on this thread believes, that our on the job training ends when we finish phase iv. Instead every time we go out we will learn that little bit extra and over time we'll become better suited to our responsibilities. Hearing from the Reserve members on this thread who are already out there shows that, especially when they mention how members attitudes are already changing.

I may not bring the skills of a full time Garda to the job but I bring others that I have learned in my full time job. Having spoken to a member (friend of mine) he seemed to forget that the Public Appointments Service didn't just go out and randomly pick the first couple of hundred people they met. We have all been down a long process to get where we are.

Well that's it really. Honestly I'm quite proud of where I am today and where, hopefully, I'll finish up. I will not and do not believe that any of us should be made to feel ashamed of the genorosity of spirit that drives us. If members wish to hurl around the "Walter Mitty type" gibes or "hobby bobby" etc I for one can ignore it.

I'm motivated more by doing something for my community than seeking approval.

Plus, at the end of the day, it'll look great on the cv ;)

geo1212 wrote: »
    Hi Baton,

Think most will attend, best thing to do is to log on to AAireland/routeplanner and pop in your start and finish points, it will be the most up to date route, given traffic / road works etc.

I am heading from the meath/louth area if any one wants a lift from that area, I can take up to three, as am collecting one in swords already, I dont mind headin north on m1 for anyone who needs a lift from further up the country.

Geo
    Thanks Geo will let my Co pilot know.
    As regards been accepted or not, just think what the Ban Gardai went through in the 60's.That was a huge step at the time for the rank at file and now they wouldn't or couldn't do without them.Looking forward to chatting with most of you on Saturday week to share experiences to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

thanks lehanemore for getting back to me,very much appreciated.yeah understand what your saying and agree with you but i'm not sure or haven't saw anyone say they have waited as long as i have but i may have overlooked that.i applied for the garda reserve in february 2007 and did my entrance exam in march so quite along time now.thought it would have been a much speedier process than that.so i would like to hear if anyone else is in the same boat or is it just a donegal thing.how are you on in the process.look forward to your reply.:confused:

becker wrote: »
    hello..
    new to this..great thread..as a full time member,it interesting to hear what you have to say..i belive you have a meetin in the smoke this week..hope you get public order act..as you know now its nearly the bread and butter,off our job..i agree with the concept off the reserves,and have worked with a few off ye too..no problems at all..but i find it differcult,as you give your time,etc.. how that you are not getting any travel or sub`s..that some off you`s have to travel from donegal to kerry ,without anything..the €1k wont go far.. think its very short sited..and tight fisted..
    anyway good luck to ye..

Becker, always good to hear from a full time member of the force, and even more so when you have good things to say about the reserves. Would you say your views are shared by your colleagues, as while I have always been treated extremely well by my full time colleagues anytime I have worked, I have always wondered as I'm sure others have, are they been so nice to you behind your back? I'm sure public order powers will feature quite strongly at this meeting on Saturday, and hopefully its something we will get down the line, although of course theres the downside then of regular court appearances. Finally as regards the money aspect of it, or should that be lack of it, I suppose the fact that we are all willing to give up our hard earned spare time to do this for nothing, shows how strongly we feel about this whole concept, and of course the honour of wearing a Garda uniform. I have a wife and two girls under 3, work shifts in my own job, yet I would still look forward to been a Garda Reserve on a Saturday night, so either were all mad, or very dedicated to been a Garda Reserve.

I have relations in the force, I was asked who they were and where they are stationed. But it was nice and informal, the Super asked this, like he just wanted to know if he knew them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement