Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

coylemj wrote: »
    If you take their insurance, it covers the excess so you pay nothing in the event of damage. Maybe a small excess like €50 but that's all.

Or, as poster km991148 pointed out above (post#10), you decline their insurance because you have your own policy and if there is damage, you pay for it (up to the excess) and claim it back when you get home.

Thanks. I notice that the rental companies and agents don't cover personal injury on their extra excess protection, but AIG do.

Also notice that on many that roadside assistance is not included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gooner99 wrote: »
    Thanks. I notice that the rental companies and agents don't cover personal injury on their extra excess protection, but AIG do.

Also notice that on many that roadside assistance is not included.

Think you might be over researching this. The personal injury cover in the AIG policy is miniscule. I just read my policy summary and I see that they cover death and various injuries and the benefit is 'up to €40,000' which they only pay if you end up a quadraplegic.

And you don't need to buy roadside assistance cover when renting a car. If you have a breakdown or an accident, you ring the rental company and they will sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sorry it’s drive4fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

how much of a hold did they put on your CC? also did you get the spelling of the company correct? thanks in advance

Think it was 300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Anyone any experiences of Avis, Budget or Europcar in Italy ?

Or any recommendations or who to avoid ?

We have an Annual Excess Policy and won't be taking Full Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Just a quick question that someone may be able to help me with.

Been a long time since I rented a car, but will need to do it for a holiday in France in a few weeks.

Doing a small bit of research, it's a bit of a minefield. On the one hand, you have your regular, reputable companies (such as Herz, Avis, Europcar) who are working out at about 450 Euro for two weeks.

On the other hand, using different websites results in companies I haven't heard from before (but by no means does not mean they are not legit) for much cheaper.

Am I missing something? Am I as well off to fork out the extra 200 Euro for the bigger company? Has anyone else experience something similar?

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭dennyk

Those smaller companies might be fine, or they might make up the difference by tacking on a bunch of hidden fees or charging you for bogus damages, knowing that you'll probably be out of the country before you see the charges and you might not be willing to go through the hassle of fighting them from abroad (or deal with the language barrier which will mysteriously arise as soon as they figure out you're ringing them to complain instead of making a new booking...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Smaller companies can be fine, check the web reviews Caveat Emptor

However a lot of "smaller" companies Goldcar, Rhodium, Firefly etc will offer a much cheaper lead in car hire price

They sometimes will charge you extorinate amounts for ficticious damage to the car, hugely inflated excess insurance

Whatever company you choose, you will be liable for the first 1000e approx of damage , if you damage the car (Google CDW)

you can insure this excess , cheaply yourself
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Do a google search for the name of the company and "review". You'll find a lot of the cheaper "unknown" companies could end up costing more because of hidden T&Cs and charges, etc. Things like if your flight is delayed and you are more than 59 minutes late for the car pickup your booking is void and you don't get a refund. Or applying charges for damage that was already done to the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

PaulKK wrote: »
    Have an auto megane estate booked in Bordeaux in a couple of weeks with Sixt via Argus.

Excess according to Argus is 1300.

Anyone got any idea what Sixt charge at the desk to reduce the excess? I could get some third party excess insurance but I prefer to just not worry about that stuff on holiday.

Just back from Nice where used Sixt. Paid €12/day to reduce the excess to €0 and I got a free upgrade to a Peugeot 2008. I think it might be slightly higher for bigger cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Hey guys need help please. Travelling to Venice in July and need to rent a car to go to Croatia. Anyone know a reputable and affordable company that allow us cross borders for free (or at least not mental money). Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hey guys need help please. Travelling to Venice in July and need to rent a car to go to Croatia. Anyone know a reputable and affordable company that allow us cross borders for free (or at least not mental money). Thanks in advance.

Most of them will let you cross boarders for free. I've rented in Spain and drove to france. Rented in France and drove to Switzerland. The more reputable companies have no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Do check as a lot of them have restrictions on driving into post soviet countries

Thanks for the replies folks....bottled it in a way, and went for the more expensive company Enterprise.

Just the stress of constantly thinking how some of those cheaper companies could screw me....At least with the bigger, more reputable companies you'd imagine more in the line of customer service...(more...not a lot!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Take out annual excess insurance, only take cars that have a full to full fuel policy and watch out for limited mileage. Finally ensure you have enough on your card to cover a deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

What company would you recommend for excess insurance cover?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Carhireexcess.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Booked a reno capture auto from hertz in Bordeaux. Offered me an upgrade to a luxury ds7 worth 55k for €170 for 2wks. I said no thanks but it was the only auto left so he had to give it to me gratis.. Nice to get a bit of luck on hols..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Booked a reno capture auto from hertz in Bordeaux. Offered me an upgrade to a luxury ds7 worth 55k for €170 for 2wks. I said no thanks but it was the only auto left so he had to give it to me gratis.. Nice to get a bit of luck on hols..

Noice..... Can you check for an upgrade before you get there? Or is there anyway to swing things in your favor? Ie booking a specific car hoping to god they don't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

Hi

We're heading off to Spain and are taking our two kids (6 and 8) and my mother with us. I have those Trunki Boostapak car seats for the kids and there will be an adult sitting between them. We will have two 20kg suitcases plus hand luggage. I had booked a Skoda Octavia with GoldCar but want to cancel based on the poor reviews.

We don't want to go as big as a 7 seater due to budget constraints but what size car should we go for? Would an Opel Insignia, Skoda Octavia or Seat Toledo be big enough?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Noice..... Can you check for an upgrade before you get there? Or is there anyway to swing things in your favor? Ie booking a specific car hoping to god they don't have it!

I think you have a better chance of an upgrade with an automatic car as they are limited in stock. I just got lucky. I'd play it by ear when u get to the deck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Going hiring a car in Nantes first time hiring a car. Do I need credit card or will debit car do. What else do I need to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hi

We're heading off to Spain and are taking our two kids (6 and 8) and my mother with us. I have those Trunki Boostapak car seats for the kids and there will be an adult sitting between them. We will have two 20kg suitcases plus hand luggage. I had booked a Skoda Octavia with GoldCar but want to cancel based on the poor reviews.

We don't want to go as big as a 7 seater due to budget constraints but what size car should we go for? Would an Opel Insignia, Skoda Octavia or Seat Toledo be big enough?

Thanks

Any of the three cars should be ok for 3 passengers in the rear seat. The two suitcases will fit in the boot and hand luggage can be accommodated in the car.

You are right to be wary of Goldcar.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

Renting a car in France - will spare bulbs, hi VI's jackets, breathalyzer kit etc normally included???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Renting a car in France - will spare bulbs, hi VI's jackets, breathalyzer kit etc normally included???

All legal requirements should be present and correct.
    No harm to check.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi

Thanks

Is the Octavia being placed with the Insignia in one car group or two? Both very spacious cars but Skoda has the more superior but you're not guaranteed it. This is more in terms of the boot.

The adult passenger in the rear may find it a tight squeeze in the middle. But you're never going to hide away from that without going into the MPV range or large SUV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

valtra2 wrote: »
    Going hiring a car in Nantes first time hiring a car. Do I need credit card or will debit car do. What else do I need to know

Check direct (not the broker) with the supplier for their terms. Most require a Credit Card for the deposit at least, sometimes both. Every rental company is different and the same company will have different rules in different countries (eg Enterprise in Ireland vs Enterprise Croatia. Two different policies for everything from coverage, car groups, payment methods and so on).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads any advice on who to try rent a car in France from? I’m looking for a car for around 7 or 8 days to drive from around Caen to Lille France but the prices I’m gettin quoted is crazy ...

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads any advice on who to try rent a car in France from? I’m looking for a car for around 7 or 8 days to drive from around Caen to Lille France but the prices I’m gettin quoted is crazy ...

Peak season, rates always going to be high. Be careful going to a budget smaller supplier as they may not always be what you expect. I generally look on the reviews of a supplier before deciding tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Hi All, can anyone recommend cheap car hire in Bristol airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Hi All, can anyone recommend cheap car hire in Bristol airport?

Easirent is the cheapest by a mile but they put a massive hold on your card (over £1k) unless you take their extortionate insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Caranica wrote: »
    Easirent is the cheapest by a mile but they put a massive hold on your card (over £1k) unless you take their extortionate insurance

I have dealt with them in the past, they are chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Hi there, not sure if this post is in the right forum.
    I'm planning to rent a car for a week in Malaga this month. I've rented before but still I'm always confused about what's the best deal and to make sure I'm fully covered. I was done before in the UK a few years ago where Sixt claimed I scraped the underneath of the car and sent me a bill of €600! Luckily I had https://www.carhireexcess.ie insurance and they paid out.

Is this still the best option to take? i.e. just get a standard deal in any car hire company and then have a separate excess insurance? Or is it better to take full insurance cover with the hire company?

Barney224 wrote: »
    Is this still the best option to take? i.e. just get a standard deal in any car hire company and then have a separate excess insurance?

By a mile, yes it is. Having your own excess insurance is the better option. The insurance they sell you at the rental desk is way more expensive.

People will tell you about the 'peace of mind' they feel when they take the rental company's insurance but that's a complete load of BS. In many cases, an excess policy covers tyres and glass and the insurance they sell you at the desk does not.

coylemj wrote: »
    By a mile, yes it is. Having your own excess insurance is the better option. The insurance they sell you at the rental desk is way more expensive.

People will tell you about the 'peace of mind' they feel when they take the rental company's insurance but that's a complete load of BS. In many cases, an excess policy covers tyres and glass and the insurance they sell you at the desk does not.

OK thanks. I probably answered my own question above, based on my previous experience and having my own excess. I just always find it so confusing when trying to choose a car and company. but I think I'll just go the route of having my own excess cover again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yes still best to get your own policy. I've used malagacar (very good the few times I've used them) and the place next door (terrible place, cannot remember the name, horrendous state of the car) in the past with my policy with no issues. I think the deposit they take has substantially risen since I was last there about 5 years ago.

theteal wrote: »
    Yes still best to get your own policy. I've used malagacar (very good the few times I've used them) and the place next door (terrible place, cannot remember the name, horrendous state of the car) in the past with my policy with no issues. I think the deposit they take has substantially risen since I was last there about 5 years ago.

Yeah, my dad uses Malagacar often and swears by them. Their full cover deal is pretty good as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I've been in and out of Bristol more than any other UK airport over the years, and have regularly rented with both Budget and Europcar without ever having a problem with either of them. They're both usually sort of mid-table as regards price when you do a search of all companies. Both just a walk across from the terminal building too, instead of having to do the shuttle bus thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Goldcar at Bordeaux Airport were a disaster recently. It took three hours of queuing at the desk. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Caranica wrote: »

Jesus stay away from these!!! Awful hassle with them in Scotland ... gave me a piece of **** that Broke down, spent hours on side of road and then wouldn’t even refund me for the car or offer any proper apology

This is the question I came in here to ask. There'll be 5 of us in the car, as notified. Hope they have 5 jackets and the required breahalyzers.
    LillySV wrote: »
    Jesus stay away from these!!! Awful hassle with them in Scotland ... gave me a piece of **** that Broke down, spent hours on side of road and then wouldn’t even refund me for the car or offer any proper apology

I'd claim a charge back on my credit card if that happened.

This is the question I came in here to ask. There'll be 5 of us in the car, as notified. Hope they have 5 jackets and the required breahalyzers.

The AA says you need one reflective jacket and that the fine for not carrying a breathalyzer has been postponed indefinitely. Every rental car in France comes with a high-viz jacket in a packet in the glovebox. And nobody bothers with the breathalyzers, except the likes of the ferry companies who (surprise, surprise) sell them onboard at an exhorbitant price.

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/country-by-country/france-and-monaco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm planning a trip to Belgrade in the near future, and would like to hear from anyone who has been there recently and hired a car, what was your experience(s) like? ( The Good The Bad The Ugly.....:pac::pac::pac: )
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Sorry if this is covered here but is there a problem with booking on US sites ie. do you require an American billing address.?

Looking to hire a car in Scotland for a few days and the same car is over 100 euro cheaper on expedia.com compared to expedia.ie

mgray wrote: »
    Sorry if this is covered here but is there a problem with booking on US sites ie. do you require an American billing address.?

Looking to hire a car in Scotland for a few days and the same car is over 100 euro cheaper on expedia.com compared to expedia.ie

I know on some sites the American website is exclusive of all insurance but local websites include insurance. US customers have slightly different insurance policies that cover driving rentals plus have credit card coverage whereas we typically don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Sully wrote: »
    I know on some sites the American website is exclusive of all insurance but local websites include insurance. US customers have slightly different insurance policies that cover driving rentals plus have credit card coverage whereas we typically don't.

Thanks. Ended up finding a good deal with the car rental centre, who themselves come with some mixed reviews but hopefully is ok. The free extra driver was the clincher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Anyone out there who has experience of hiring a car at Belgrade Airport, or in the City itself??? Or anyone who has had such a good experience with a rental company, that they would use them in any City /Country???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Sully wrote: »

How does the insurance work in the US is it the same as Europe, you can buy your own policy?

Do they give you the hard sale like they do sometimes over here?

Is it usually expensive to buy insurance at the desk there?

Thanks

How does the insurance work in the US is it the same as Europe, you can buy your own policy?

Do they give you the hard sale like they do sometimes over here?

Is it usually expensive to buy insurance at the desk there?

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, if you have insurance in the US it allows you to drive a rental. But that's generally not the case in Ireland (unless it's a breakdown or insurance hire).

US travellers also have credit cards like American Express that covers car hire CDW.

Stick with a major brand and you're generally guaranteed a safer better service vs some of the smaller companies. I wouldn't have thought you got a hard sell anywhere in Ireland tbh.

Recently was issued with two 25 Euro admin charges from Enterprise for speeding fines - also informed that I'll receive the fines from the Frenh authorities within 60 days.

I'm shocked!

Now, I genuinely, 100% do not think I was speeding excessively other there - the opposite in fact, being the other side of road/car and all.

How can they prove this, or rather, is there any way I can challenge this?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement