Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gave my manager 2 sick certs and she says there can't be days in between?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

This is really going to be my final comment, because I don't care enough to continue with this.

Who do you think makes the rules in the company?

Who exactly is the "employer"?

It's the people at C-level.

They are the employer.

They make the rules.

Think it through.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    This is really going to be my final comment, because I don't care enough to continue with this.

Who do you think makes the rules in the company?

Who exactly is the "employer"?

It's the people at C-level.

They are the employer.

They make the rules.

Think it through.

The employer is the company who employ you, they set the sick leave policy, they make the rules. Those rules are set out in your employment contract, you as a manager don’t get to set them, unless your employer agrees, and you certainly don’t put your team at risk because you want to show what “power” you think you have just because you are a manager. If your contract states company policy in relation to sick leave, you follow it or they may not accept your cert.

Honestly, your lack of understanding of this is breathtaking.

Dav010 wrote: »
    The employer is the company who employ you, they set the sick leave policy, they make the rules. Those rules are set out in your employment contract, you as a manager don’t get to set them, unless your employer agrees, and you certainly don’t put your team at risk because you want to show what “power” you think you have just because you are a manager. If your contract states company policy in relation to sick leave, you follow it or they may not accept your cert.

Honestly, your lack of understanding of this is breathtaking.

This is really my last post.

Can you try to think through what you're saying?
    The employer is the company who employ you, they set the sick leave policy, they make the rules.

Seriously, slow down and try to think this through.

If the employer are not the people running the company, who are they?

A robot?

Software?

Again, slow down, really try to think it through.

If you're honest, and intelligent, I hope you'll realise it's the senior management team.

The "employer" is the senior management team.

Who are the senior management team?

You have the CEO who is in charge of business, you have the COO who is in charge of day to day activities, you have the CFO who is in charge of finance, you have the CTO who is in charge of all technical things.

We meet at least once a week and decide the direction of the company.

Do you really not understand this?

Do you think "employer" is some abstract concept and can't be related back to humans?

Who am I talking to? :confused:

Seriously I will not respond anymore.

And once the policy is considered, changed and employees are formally informed of the change, then you can follow those policies. But while current policies apply and those policies include certification of rest periods as well as rostered hours, then you don’t get to decide what you want to do.

An example of where an issue could arise for an employer. Your team don’t need to certify rest periods because you say so, an employee in another department doesn’t bother following company sick leave policy and is disciplined, now they have a case for unfair treatment with the wrc because they are treated differently from other employees who are bound by the same sick leave policy.

I have no issue with you doing what you want, but like virtually everyone else on this thread, I think you are wrong to call another manager a moron for following established policies which are in place, and putting your own team at odds with your companies policies just because you don’t agree with them.

Of course you will respond, you can’t admit you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

This is really my last post.

Can you try to think through what you're saying?

Seriously, slow down and try to think this through.

If the employer are not the people running the company, who are they?

A robot?

Software?

Again, slow down, really try to think it through.

If you're honest, and intelligent, I hope you'll realise it's the senior management team.

The "employer" is the senior management team.

Who are the senior management team?

You have the CEO who is in charge of business, you have the COO who is in charge of day to day activities, you have the CFO who is in charge of finance, you have the CTO who is in charge of all technical things.

We meet at least once a week and decide the direction of the company.

Do you really not understand this?

Do you think "employer" is some abstract concept and can't be related back to humans?

Who am I talking to? :confused:

Seriously I will not respond anymore.

Who is your boss, as CTO you are answerable to somebody?

I'm going to level with you here, your attitude is horrendous.
    From what I can grasp from reading your posts I'm at the same level within a multinational business as you.

However, where I very much differ with you, we have a company HR policy. This is what my employer has set out. My employer is a multinational company not me just because I am part of the senior management team.
    In the company HR policy there are pieces that I disagree with, however I will still enforce them within my teams. This is to insure consistency across the entire business, not 1 policy for them and another for me. Secondly I expect the managers within my team to enforce the policy, there may be something that 1 of them doesn't agree with in it and they decide to blatantly ignore it because they don't like it with the rationale being that oh my boss ignores policies himself so it's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your manager's a moron.

Subsequent events have left this hilariously ironic.

seriously do you ppl not just understand that company strategy and policy is decided in the c-suite twice a week by hard-nosed genius wealth creators and golly gosh durn it they are gonna do whatever the hell they want because they are valuable innovator disruptors

its almost as if you midrange squares cannot see that this is how it is in 2019 i pity you schmucks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

What if you're sick for two different things? Like vomiting bug on the Friday and a tooth ache on the Monday?

Id imagine this should be clocked as 2 separate incidents and therefore Shouldn't need to cover weekend dates (unless specifically stated in t+c's).
    Which would be important for companies that track a number of incidents and days to dictate the sick pay.

Id be surprised if a company in this day and age didn't push employees to claim s.w after the first 6 days as they would be losing thousands if they pay full sick pay. This is normally why companies push for sick certs that cover weekends so the correct days can be covered for s.w.

Speaking re the HSE - I know certain areas used to deduct S.W automatically after the first 6 days were keyed in by the manager and the onus was on the employee to claim it (obv if they didn't qualify it was a different scenario). So it would be S.W that would be more concerned with the dates on the certs than the actual HSE (however they obviously have their own internal policy on what they want to see!).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your manager's a moron. I cannot stand people like her.

You provided sick certs for the days you were off. This should be the end of it as you've proven you really were sick.

Do you have a company policy handbook or something like that you can refer to?

You have not got a clue what the process is nor the legal requiremtns, but the manager is the moron, seriuosly.
    Surely a manager or HR person can just go "ok grand" and tick the box?

I swear these people are asking for their jobs to be automated. The only thing which is going to keep them employed in the future is nuance.

Why would you expect anyone to lie for you by falsifying a procedure, you failed to meet?

Clearly sound advice in not your forte.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I think the issue here is you guys don't understand the difference between C-level and middle management. They are totally different worlds.

Any further discussion will be a waste of time. So I'm checking out now.

Bye and thanks for the all the fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Breadbin, how's the foot??

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You have not got a clue what the process is nor the legal requiremtns, but the manager is the moron, seriuosly.

Why would you expect anyone to lie for you by falsifying a procedure, you failed to meet?

Clearly sound advice in not your forte.

Why are you leaving out the part where someone said this is the HSE and for illness benefit this is a requirement and there's no way around it, so I reply saying OK I understand now, and the employee should follow the process.

Are you saying people (e.g. me) are not allowed make a mistake, and change their opinion when they realise they've made a mistake?

Or are you just leaving out the part where I correct myself because it would make your snarky post redundant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

This was my very favourite comment of yours. Though you also felt the need to repeat that one more than was necessary.

jlm29 wrote: »
    This was my very favourite comment of yours. Though you also felt the need to repeat that one more than was necessary.

That's strange, but OK, enjoy.

Advertisement