Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On meteologix, press the balloon icon , see below . They are available up to about +70 hrs.

I'll trade you :) where do you get the Sigmet charts , available to public?

https://meteologix.com/ie/model-charts/euro/ireland/significant-weather.html

Pu0qbhc.jpg

Thanks I never spotted that.

The SIGMET charts are from https://skyvector.com
    . You can add layers up in the top right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like still on track for some scattered thunderstorms tomorrow. The Northern half of the country will feature most tomorrow I think and especially North midlands and Northern counties. SW Winds will be brisk moving heavy convective showers quickly along . ECM showing some high CAPE readings, SKEW T is for near Drumshambo Co Leitrim , might get a concentration of sferics showing up more towards the NE tomorrow afternoon and N Leinster perhaps. Some big heavy showers in the Northern half of the country and a few could pop up in the Southern half earlier but look like clearing away in the early afternoon here and late afternoon / early evening from the NE.

9MRQrAu.png

C1nAQuC.png

Qj0bZuf.png

HMmYZAC.png

akReo2t.png

Im tinking that lightning could occur in the area highlighted in green but more so as you head North and perhaps the biggest concentration in the area highlighted in orange. Just my opinion of course!

ZAtyfUQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Folks is it just me or has the Icelandic lightning site "eldingar" stopped working for the past few days?

This is the link that I normally use, but it's stuck at the 17th June:-

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Some hope for sparks this week apparently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very little showed up today, big showers but the only collection of note was from a storm on and off the NE coast

6tfFy1P.png

Rainfall distribution today.

Y1oDAlf.png

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Some hope for sparks this week apparently.

Thursday evening / night into Fri looks interesting. High temps and Dew point overnight and a high theta E reading as an area of LP stretches from around Ireland all the way down to N Spain bringing a warm humid plume of air in from the continent. Complex set up but could be a lively one if it comes together. Interesting.

8yIgd4y.png

v1lzoPv.png

UFQdD9G.png

Folks is it just me or has the Icelandic lightning site "eldingar" stopped working for the past few days?

This is the link that I normally use, but it's stuck at the 17th June:-

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Yeah looks broke, stuck on the 17th for me too.

The definition of a Spanish Plume event is an 850-hPa Theta-W value of +20 °C, which does come close on Friday but not quite close enough. Still, a lot of low-level moisture in a +18 °C warm sector so the following cold front could be interesting.

iconeu_uk1-50-117-0_lcl6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Latest GFS showing 1600j/kg of CAPE Thursday afternoon. Extremely lively over Wales too, so hopefully conditions will support some night time imports.517369.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thursday is looking very interesting indeed but before we get too excited, we need to get that warm air in place first. We do have some warm uppers building from today and we need to keep it in place.

81-580UK.GIF?22-6

GFS going for temperatures up to 23C in Leinster on Thursday, GFS usually undercooks temperatures by several degrees in the summer so it's possible temperatures of 25 or maybe even 26C are achievable on Thursday by the time showers start to get going. Uppers of around +12C may get into the eastern half of the country with +10C uppers through the west, so these look good for instability.

GFSOPUK06_87_2.png

84-505UK.GIF?22-6

Hopefully this cape chart gets upgraded for Ireland closer to the time and not downgraded. These cape values look more impressive than the ones we had last week, so there is definitely potential here for some proper storms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Same craic as last week in that
    there's nothing significant indicated for Dublin or the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Same craic as last week in that
    there's nothing significant indicated for Dublin or the coast

The GFS not being a high Res model means it's pretty crude in terms of representing areas of instability, never really shows surface based convective activity near the coast, whereas the reality can be different. Also, potentially more conducive to night time imports from Wales onto the E coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thunderstorm potential now looking very real in the latest GFS just rolling out:

GFSOPUK12_78_11.png

Temperatures look spot on for some instability

GFSOPUK12_78_17.png

GFSOPUK12_93_4.png

The above rain chart shows a large area of showers move up from the bay of Biscay which pushes across SW England, Wales and then into Leinster during Thursday night/Friday morning.

Still some warmth left in the east on Friday with cooler Atlantic air taking over, a few storms could still be possible early on Friday.

GFSOPUK12_102_5.png

GFSOPUK12_99_11.png

Uppers look very decent on Thursday and Friday for some instability.

GFSOPUK12_78_2.png

GFSOPUK12_96_2.png

If all this verifies and with a bit of luck on our side, we could possibly be in for a very eventful Thursday with hopefully some mushroom action getting going.

Gonzo wrote: »
    thunderstorm potential now looking very real in the latest GFS just rolling out:

Temperatures look spot on for some instability

The above rain chart shows a large area of showers move up from the bay of Biscay which pushes across SW England, Wales and then into Leinster during Thursday night/Friday morning.

Still some warmth left in the east on Friday with cooler Atlantic air taking over, a few storms could still be possible early on Friday.

Uppers look very decent on Thursday and Friday for some instability.

If all this verifies and with a bit of luck on our side, we could possibly be in for a very eventful Thursday with hopefully some mushroom action getting going.

The July 1985 storm was on a Thursday night/Friday morning...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oh you tease!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ah yes it was, and only two weeks after the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior by the French in NZ.

It was a month with unusual highlights.

The GFS is out on its own regarding CAPE values Thursday afternoon. It's showing MLCAPE (Mixed layer) around 1300 J/kg, which is highly unlikely in Ireland. The ICON is a more reasonable picture and the ECM's MUCAPE (Most Unstable, showing the absolute maximum CAPE possible from any level) really shows very little.

The reason for the high GFS value is that it has surface dewpoints 4-5 degrees higher than the others (>20 °C).

517403.PNG

517404.PNG

517405.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

The GFS is out on its own regarding CAPE values Thursday afternoon. It's showing MLCAPE (Mixed layer) around 1300 J/kg, which is highly unlikely in Ireland. The ICON is a more reasonable picture and the ECM's MUCAPE (Most Unstable, showing the absolute maximum CAPE possible from any level) really shows very little.

The reason for the high GFS value is that it has surface dewpoints 4-5 degrees higher than the others

So you are not optimistic about thunderstorms for the east coast Thursday/Friday then?

esposito wrote: »
    So you are not optimistic about thunderstorms for the east coast Thursday/Friday then?

Not based on the GFS. I can't see us getting the high dewpoints it's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not based on the GFS. I can't see us getting the high dewpoints it's talking about.

Any chance of Thunder in the West

• Advertisement

517404.PNG

517405.PNG

The Icon and ECM charts look much more typical of a breakdown in Ireland, chance of a thunder shower and then all hell breaks lose when these showers cross into the UK.

The GFS looks very promising but if it's not well supported then something much more conservative will probably happen as it usually does. Still a bit of time for the Icon and ECM to hopefully upgrade somewhat, but if we even get to half the intensity of what the GFS is currently showing then we may see some decent sparks on Thursday.

Those GFS dewpoints do look a bit excessive!

GFSOPUK12_75_10.png

dewpoints on other models still relative high but not as high as that GFS.

arpegeuk-18-78-0.png?22-18

iconeu_uk1-18-77-0.png?22-17

WRF model now giving a reasonable thunderstorm risk for Thursday as well with high dewpoints and warm temperatures.

nmmuk-6-72-0.png?22-17

nmmuk-18-72-0.png?22-17

nmmuk-0-72-0.png?22-17

Hopefully the ECM and UKMO come on board for thunderstorms. They’re the two models I trust the most.

Hopefully the ECM and UKMO come on board for thunderstorms. They’re the two models I trust the most.

I reckon they will upgrade but not to the same extent as the GFS. However in order for this to come off we do need to get those temperatures up across the country from Wednesday, some decent spells of warm sunshine to get the ball rolling, decent humidity, high dewpoints and no influence from cool Atlantic air or a bank of misty cloud rolling in over the country. Over the years i've seen plenty of setup's like this but rarely do they ever amount to anything. Fingers crossed for this Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

T'wouldn't take much for this to slip a bit further west closer the time:

BJbEUTJ.png

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a similar sort of set up around this time last year as well that brought some storms to the east? Seems almost like what Lamb would have called a 'singularity'.

New Moon

Gonzo wrote: »
    I reckon they will upgrade but not to the same extent as the GFS. However in order for this to come off we do need to get those temperatures up across the country from Wednesday, some decent spells of warm sunshine to get the ball rolling, decent humidity, high dewpoints and no influence from cool Atlantic air or a bank of misty cloud rolling in over the country. Over the years i've seen plenty of setup's like this but rarely do they ever amount to anything. Fingers crossed for this Thursday!

Yeah we need a bit of luck. That bank of misty cloud last week really put a spanner in the works for us in the east for thunderstorm potential. I supposed that’s what you’re dealing with if you’re surrounded by sea

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    T'wouldn't take much for this to slip a bit further west closer the time:

BJbEUTJ.png

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a similar sort of set up around this time last year as well that brought some storms to the east? Seems almost like what Lamb would have called a 'singularity'.

I don’t remember any storms in the east last year. Maybe lightning in the distance over the Irish Sea but nothing of significance unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I don’t remember any storms in the east last year. Maybe lightning in the distance over the Irish Sea but nothing of significance unfortunately.

There were some but they were mainly for the south.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992371

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Forecasting thunderstorms from 3 days out is a tough task, especially for Ireland. I wouldn't be getting any bit excited until Wednesday at the earliest.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    There were some but they were mainly for the south.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992371

Ah 29th June... I was in the south of Spain at the time of those thunderstorms!

Advertisement