Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collection letter received

Options
  • 06-04-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right to post so please move if necessary.

I received a debt collection letter yesterday from a company called Intrum. They are chasing a debt of €193 for a hire car company who neglected to charge the Visa card I gave them when I hired a car in France 2 years ago (through no fault of mine).

This is the first letter I've received from these Intrum people and it has very little information on it really other than the amount and how to pay it. The company name they say they are acting on behalf was something called Citer CCI Location who I had never heard of before in my life. Took some deep googling to make the link to the hire car company.
    Also the address they had for me was very wrong, not sure how the letter actually made it to my house.

My question is, what happens if I don't pay this? Am I better off just paying it now and getting rid of it?
    I would have expected some information on consequences on non payment on the letter but there is nothing, so not sure if the amount increase with time etc.

Anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I suppose the first question is; do you owe the money? If the card wasn't charged at the time, did you pay subsequently, and if not why not? If you're going to pay the debt do so directly to the car hire company.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Dept collector from france? Would i feck pay it. Whats the chances they will bring you to court for such a small amount? Zero chance. Forget about it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So question is. I ran up a bill while utilising a service I requested.

Do I have to pay?

Yes you do.

Can I get away with not paying?

Probably

• Registered Users Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

keavebm wrote: »
    Dept collector from france? Would i feck pay it. Whats the chances they will bring you to court for such a small amount? Zero chance. Forget about it and move on

Debt collector from Ireland.

https://www.intrum.ie/customer/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Also the address they had for me was very wrong, not sure how the letter actually made it to my house.

I might blame An Post for that, they are quite good at getting the post to the intended reciepent, dispite the bad addresss detals
    I received a debt collection letter yesterday from a company called Intrum. They are chasing a debt of €193 for a hire car company who neglected to charge the Visa card I gave them when I hired a car in France 2 years ago (through no fault of mine).

Assuming you owe the debt, you have four choices,
    • Pay the debt collector directly.
    • Go to the origional car hire company and pay them.
    • Have some fun with the debt collector and engage them with a series of detailed freeman style requests.
    • Renege on your responcibilities to the rest of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Engage. It's a tiny amount <SNIP> which will escalate as they follow the process.The unpaid debt has been sold for a fraction of the original and they won't go away.

That being said, if you want to, wait until you receive a registered letter or a knock on the door. Enjoy those skipped heart beats and paranoia in your own home everytime you hear the doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Don't pay. It's such a small amount they won't apply much pressure.

I had a dispute with Virgin Media some years back - 90 odd quid - and a debt collection agency called me asking if I'd pay it. Told them no way and my reasons. That was the end if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

If you are planning on paying it, set up a DD for €5 a week. You won't even miss it, and it'll stop ya worrying about it. Dealt with them before and had no bother, even though it gets up their wick. They may contact ya once or twice to see if you're interested in paying it off, but once you're paying your fiver a week you're free to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you plan to go back to France I'd pay it. If you never intend to travel to France then they can't really chase it up here. While the debt is being chased in Ireland it originated in France so the OP could already be in trouble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

Will it come back to bite you ie Credit Rating

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Not sure if this is the right to post so please move if necessary.

This is the first letter I've received from these Intrum people and it has very little information on it really other than the amount and how to pay it. The company name they say they are acting on behalf was something called Citer CCI Location who I had never heard of before in my life. Took some deep googling to make the link to the hire car company.

My question is, what happens if I don't pay this? Am I better off just paying it now and getting rid of it?
    I would have expected some information on consequences on non payment on the letter but there is nothing, so not sure if the amount increase with time etc.

Anyone any experience with this?

How come you were never initially contacted by the car hire company ?

Elaborate on how wrong your address was. This may be connected to my first question. Is it at all possible that you have ignored previous correspondence from the hire company to your old address?

Finally, what is the name of the French car hire company? You can make one up if you would like. The reason I ask is that it confuses me that the hire company never debited your credit card in the first place, they are entitled to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Hoboo wrote: »
    Enjoy those skipped heart beats and paranoia in your own home everytime you hear the doorbell.
    Who in their right mind answers a doorbell these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Pay it and have done with it. Debt collection agencies can ramp up the charges every time they send you a letter or if they send somebody around. I've heard of people ending up owing thousands and being blacklisted from credit facilities. It's not worth it,don't listen to 'Freeman' style experts,the debt will not go away. As suggested,set up a monthly mandate of 20 euro til it's paid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

flossy1 wrote: »

This would neither turn up on the ICB or the CCR which are the two important ones for mortgages, loans, credit cards etc. It is not an accepted type of debt for either.

It could, but probably won't, turn up on the private operators which are sometimes used for utilities contracts, insurance direct debits, hire purchase etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭FledNanders

So seems to be an even split between the ‘pay it and get rid of it’ and ‘don’t bother paying it’ camps.

To be honest I probably will pay it just to avoid any future hassle but wanted to suss out what the options are. The vagueness of the initial letter annoyed me so if they had sent meaningful correspondence explaining things properly I would have been more inclined to pay straight away.

For those asking, I gave my card to the assistant at the counter of the hire car company (Enterprise rent a car) and saw that she hadn’t swiped it as she was doing other admin stuff. I asked her had she taken the payment as she said yes.
    When I realized afterwards that she hadn’t I put it down to seller beware, their problem not mine and forgot about it then.

For the address, they had my name, Inchicore, Great Britain 🀔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Pay it and have done with it. Debt collection agencies can ramp up the charges every time they send you a letter or if they send somebody around. I've heard of people ending up owing thousands and being blacklisted from credit facilities. It's not worth it,don't listen to 'Freeman' style experts,the debt will not go away. As suggested,set up a monthly mandate of 20 euro til it's paid.

That isn't how it works. Debt collectors are not allowed to add on fees or interest.

Because of that its not worth sending anyone around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

my3cents wrote: »
    That isn't how it works. Debt collectors are not allowed to add on fees or interest.

Because of that its not worth sending anyone around.

If it's been sold to a debt collection agency, they most certainly will add on fees and interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Erik Shun wrote: »
    If it's been sold to a debt collection agency, they most certainly will add on fees and interest

In Ireland the debt collector can essentially be told to sling their hook, you can deal directly with original debtor. Collection agency can add all the charges they like but you do not have to pay them. You can pay original amount to hire company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Intrum can be ignored

They will try and frighten you into paying but if you ignore they generally get the message

Or if you email them and say that you do not owe a debt to them and any further correspondence will be viewed as harassment and dealt with appropriately they generally back off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Sin City wrote: »
    Intrum can be ignored

They will try and frighten you into paying but if you ignore they generally get the message

Or if you email them and say that you do not owe a debt to them and any further correspondence will be viewed as harassment and dealt with appropriately they generally back off

Or they sell it on to another 'agent'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

flossy1 wrote: »

No it won’t. It wasn’t a credit agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Or they sell it on to another 'agent'

Rinse and repeat then

Generally they will just write it off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

In Ireland the debt collector can essentially be told to sling their hook, you can deal directly with original debtor. Collection agency can add all the charges they like but you do not have to pay them. You can pay original amount to hire company

They will take you to court for the money you owe them and if you lose you will be in a world of pain.

These people actually make their living from ramping up the charges on small debts...if you ignore letters and summonses you can end up owing thousands and perhaps have a lien placed on your goods or house.

Nevermind the morality of it all..you didnt pay for the rental car..pay it now before it gets nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Sin City wrote: »
    Rinse and repeat then

Generally they will just write it off

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

If you think you actually owe the money and want to pay, then pay it to the original company.

If you feel you don't owe the money then do not pay it. In Ireland you will rarely, if ever, be brought to court for amounts less than €1000 as the legal costs are too prohibitive for the Debt Collection agency to risk for possibly only getting small amounts. Don't be intimidated by their sabre-rattling. Your credit rating is only affected if you owe money to a financial institution (Bank. Credit Union) for loans you could /would not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You should probably contact the car rental company and ask how much you owe. Then pay them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

LordBasil wrote: »
    If you think you actually owe the money and want to pay, then pay it to the original company.

If you feel you don't owe the money then do not pay it. In Ireland you will rarely, if ever, be brought to court for amounts less than €1000 as the legal costs are too prohibitive for the Debt Collection agency to risk for possibly only getting small amounts. Don't be intimidated by their sabre-rattling. Your credit rating is only affected if you owe money to a financial institution (Bank. Credit Union) for loans you could /would not pay.
    Intrum is a toothless dog that has a scary bark but no bite.

As this is a foreign debt, Intrum would have to produce witnesses from France if the case was contested. That ain't going to happen for some piddly small amount.

As court fees are capped, Intrum will not take a punt for anything less than €1000 as stated earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tracey01

Same thing happened us in France. It was for a small amount so we never noticed at the time that it wasn't taken out of our account. We ignored it and never heard from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Intrum is a toothless dog that has a scary bark but no bite.

As this is a foreign debt, Intrum would have to produce witnesses from France if the case was contested. That ain't going to happen for some piddly small amount.

As court fees are capped, Intrum will not take a punt for anything less than €1000 as stated earlier.

This is the case. If you ignore this outfit they will huff and puff but eventually clear off which answers your question.

Whether you pay the debt or not is your business, nobody else's.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

So seems to be an even split between the ‘pay it and get rid of it’ and ‘don’t bother paying it’ camps.

To be honest I probably will pay it just to avoid any future hassle but wanted to suss out what the options are. The vagueness of the initial letter annoyed me so if they had sent meaningful correspondence explaining things properly I would have been more inclined to pay straight away.

For those asking, I gave my card to the assistant at the counter of the hire car company (Enterprise rent a car) and saw that she hadn’t swiped it as she was doing other admin stuff. I asked her had she taken the payment as she said yes.
    When I realized afterwards that she hadn’t I put it down to seller beware, their problem not mine and forgot about it then.

For the address, they had my name, Inchicore, Great Britain ��

Did you not get a receipt of payment ? Please answer this.

The only Inchicore I am aware of is in Dublin ?

I am struggling with your story to be honest.

Advertisement