Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum spend of €10 in order to use debit card @ The Academy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

If anyone has a cc receipt from the venue it will say who the merchant service provider is. Just Google the terms for the merchant service and you'll be able to get the full t&c's that they have signed up to.
    I know aib ms, specifies that you can't enforce a minimum spend. It's also another point of complaint, if a merchant is found to be taking the piss, they can have there ability to process cards revoked. Not something any retailer can afford these days

Elavon t&c's https://www.elavon.ie/content/dam/elavon/en_IE/Documents/2018/compliance/elavon_tos_roi_03_2018.pdf
    Aibms https://www.aibms.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/AIBMS-Terms-and-Conditions-ROI-Merchants-2018-Version_GDPR.pdf
    BOI payment acceptance t&c's don't seem to be publicly available

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

That's another thing. The Academy weren't giving out receipts :)

Think they had no paper!

I paid using Revolut and it's listed as The Academy of Photography?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Like many, I'm almost entirely cashless these days - rarely carry cash. There's a Centra close to where I work in Drogheda that has a 5 euro minimum spend policy. They do have a cash machine in store but as often as not it's only stocked with 50 euro notes which is a pain in the backside when you're just buying a €3.50 sandwich.

It's the only place in Drogheda that I can think of with this policy. I'd be happy enough if they passed on whatever charge they incur to me but I presume that's not legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

From what I read the charge is 1% for a debit card. Pretty tiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

BobMc wrote: »
    Try paying cash for a beer in one of JFKs Airport terminals, felt a right tit with a $10 bill in my hand

Thought the American bar staff would be happier with cash cause of tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

ED E wrote: »
    Mastercard/Visa aren't responsible here, its the likes of BOI who provide the merchant service to retailers that set the rules AFAIK.

Shops that do this I walk out never to return. Contactless is the norm, accept it or shutter.

I know a new coffee shop struggling to survive as they are getting charged 35 cent per transaction.
    That’s a huge % of a coffee sale

You are giving a billion dollar corporate bank a huge % of profits from small businesses

Sure costa etc can afford it but your stance will help make it difficult for small businesses to survive

Do you just want franchises everywhere that can absorb the hit you are imposing on them ?

For me I want to help small business and I’m anti bank. They world wide shaft everyone (remember angle irish etc that nearly bank rupted the country) and you want to help them because it’s so convenient to have a card on you ?

bigpink wrote: »
    Thought the American bar staff would be happier with cash cause of tips?

I’d imagine tips are way down with card use

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

steo_magra wrote:
    A particular pub in Blanchardstown has a 30 euro minimum spend. So obviously they don’t like contactless but this has to be illegal! It boils my blood as it’s expensive enough as it is. Paid less in a hotel for a bottle of wine at the weekend.

Why would it be illegal?

There is no legal obligation for them to accept a card at all.

Cash is still king

oLoonatic wrote:
    its the merchant (bank) you can make a complaint to. I had a couple of euro left in my account before pay day and dropped in with my son to a local centra to buy him a packet of sweets. total was 3 euro or there abouts. My child had already opened the sweets when the guy in the till wouldn't accept the card. I handed him back the half chewed sweets and walked out. Disgraceful that companies still do this / get away with it.

Some merchant card plans don't change the retailer a percentage. Some charges a fee per transaction. I was with BOI card services last year and was charged 75c per transaction on a credit card and 50c on a debit card transaction.

mrcheez wrote:
    From what I read the charge is 1% for a debit card. Pretty tiny.

Not entirely true. Bigger retailers pay lower commission than smaller retailers. Many plans charge a flat fee & not a percentage at all. Flat fee is great if the transaction is hundreds of euro but very expensive for small transactions. You can't really generalise as there are so many different plans for different retailers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

25 cents per transaction would be the norm.

25 cents per transaction would be the norm.

That's not true at all.

I changed providers last year and I can assure you that none were Anyway near 25c per transaction. I shopped around. I would snap up that deal in a heart beat. My average transaction is 350 euro. I'd love to only pay 25c per transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

worded wrote: »
    I know a new coffee shop struggling to survive as they are getting charged 35 cent per transaction.

Then they're dopes.

Sumup would charge 8c on a €3 transaction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Laser was flat fee (originally at least), but it's long long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You are giving a billion dollar corporate bank a huge % of profits from small businesses

Sure costa etc can afford it but your stance will help make it difficult for small businesses to survive

Do you just want franchises everywhere that can absorb the hit you are imposing on them ?

For me I want to help small business and I’m anti bank. They world wide shaft everyone (remember angle irish etc that nearly bank rupted the country) and you want to help them because it’s so convenient to have a card on you ?

Yes these guys are not on the ball. They haven't a breeze how to shop around for payment providers if that's the case.

Like many, I'm almost entirely cashless these days - rarely carry cash. There's a Centra close to where I work in Drogheda that has a 5 euro minimum spend policy. They do have a cash machine in store but as often as not it's only stocked with 50 euro notes which is a pain in the backside when you're just buying a €3.50 sandwich.

It's the only place in Drogheda that I can think of with this policy. I'd be happy enough if they passed on whatever charge they incur to me but I presume that's not legal?

Which centra, out of curiousity?

I'd regularly be in Ballsgrove and the Rathmullan Road, and occassionally in Hardman's Gardens, and haven't seen it mentioned in those ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Well then they need to change provider because they're being ripped off. I get charged 0.12% and 7c for a Visa or MC debit transaction which means to pay 35c i'd be processing €23,334 in a single transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,648 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't accept that anywhere. If somebody tells me they don't accept an order under a certain amount I just won't buy there.
    What would happen if you got 5 euro petrol at a shop which tells you they don't accept orders under 10 euro? Are they going to drain the petrol?

Time wrote:
    Well then they need to change provider because they're being ripped off. I get charged 0.12% and 7c for a Visa or MC debit transaction which means to pay 35c i'd be processing €23,334 in a single transaction.

Who is your provider? What fees for credit cards? I'm paying a hell of a lot more than that

Time wrote: »

So who are the cheapest providers please and I will let them know. They inherited the CC system from the previous owners

Thanks

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Who is your provider? What fees for credit cards? I'm paying a hell of a lot more than that

I'm on a negotiated rate with BOIPA. Credit cards are 1.03% for Visa and 1.039% for MC with no set transaction charge.

worded wrote:
    So who are the cheapest providers please and I will let them know. They inherited the CC system from the previous owners

I'd love to know too. Ecomn charge me .5 percent debit transaction & .75 percent credit. 1.4 percent for a business card. I also pay 20 euro per month for the machine rental.

I was with BOIPA up to last year. They were 50c and 75c per transaction. Inc the machine it cost 40 euros per month for 2k worth of transactions

Edit none of my transactions qualified for contactless as they were much higher than 30 euros

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I was with BOIPA up to last year. They were 50c and 75c per transaction. Inc the machine it cost 40 euros per month for 2k worth of transactions

Edit none of my transactions qualified for contactless as they were much higher than 30 euros

I'm putting over 20 times that through the machine a month so the rates are negotiated. Try Worldpay through IOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Which centra, out of curiousity?

The one at Drogheda Leisure Park/Rathmullen. I don't think I've seen a 'minimum spend' sign up in the store but go up with your sandwich and you'll find out. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Its cheaper for a business to accept contactless than it is to lodge cash
    There is legislation in place for debit card transactions, cannot remember the charge but google it, its tiny like less than 1%, and that is EU law. Credit cards are a different story
    The only proviso is your merchant company charges on top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

My terminal rental and it includes all charges for any transactions (up to 6k per month) e58 per month including VAT

BobMc wrote: »
    My terminal rental and it includes all charges for any transactions (up to 6k per month) e58 per month including VAT

Whats their web site pls?

• Advertisement

Just had a few pints in the Donaghmede Inn. One of the biggest pubs in the area. It's still cash and cheques there. No cards at all. Pass machine outside if you need

Advertisement