Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are anti ageing creams unisex?

Options
  • 21-04-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I want to start using an anti ageing cream but don't know which one because there's so much to choose from. On most of the products it doesn't specify whether it's for men or women, but most of them are clearly aimed towards women (as in there might be a picture of a woman on the box). There are products that say for men (not a great selection), but does it really make a difference? Can a man use any anti ageing cream since skin is skin? There is a much better selection aimed towards women.
    PS. I'm a man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Anti ageing creams are a con. You cannot stop the ageing process. A good moisturiser will keep your skin hydrated and stop it ageing prematurely but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Anti ageing creams are a con. You cannot stop the ageing process. A good moisturiser will keep your skin hydrated and stop it ageing prematurely but that's about it.

I know the ageing process can't be stopped but with using these creams, I'm sure it can help your skin not age as fast. Especially if they contain an SPF, that will slow down photodamage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Jp1506 wrote: »
    I know the ageing process can't be stopped but with using these creams, I'm sure it can help your skin not age as fast. Especially if they contain an SPF, that will slow down photodamage.

Save yourself a few bob and buy a decent suncream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Jp1506 wrote: »
    No they won't. What ages skin is losing collagen. Diet and lifestyle will have a far greater impact than any cream that goes on the surface. The biggest factor is genetics and there's nothing you can do against that. If it makes you feel better then go ahead but the best thing you can do for your skin is drink lots of water and use sunscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Best thing to do OP is make sure you use facial products on your face. I.e. use a face wash and facial moisturizer, one with built in SPF protection.

While “skin is skin” is true, due to the daily routine of shaving that most men undertake men’s facial skin tends to be a bit less delicate. Also, men naturally have more testosterone than most women so that plays a part also. However most products will work fine.

I use Nivea Urban Skin which has a charcoal facial wash and a moisturiser with SPF included and I’ve found it very good (I’m female just FYI).

The way “anti-aging” creams work is they plump up the underlying structure to “fill in” lines etc. you’ll notice in the ads it always says something like “smooths the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles” or whatever it is. It doesn’t actually reverse actual age damage. Nothing can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

The only topical that's been proven to reduce wrinkles and signs of aging is Retin A. Where I live, you need a prescription for it. It works by speeding up the rate at which the body replaces skin cells and increasing the production of collagen, which leads to more youthful looking skin over time. But it's very drying and there's usually a period where your skin gets worse as it acclimates, because it's essentially a chemical exfoliant. You have to make sure you keep your skin very hydrated and out of the sun when using it.

Outside of that, you're looking at genetics and a good sunscreen. If you have extra dry skin, you may want to look for a moisturizer that has hyaluronic acid in it. This is something our bodies naturally produce, and - despite the word 'acid' - it helps retain moisture in the skin. A moisturizer with hyaluronic acid can help give the appearance of less wrinkles/fine lines but it does not fix them. However, sometimes that's the most you can ask for!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyrabbit

Hi OP,

After using many anti ageing creams, I and my husband stick to two brands: Glycel Switzerland( The line) and Elevatione by Salvador Dali. The serum, facial wash and day/night creams are really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sunblock is the best easy thing you can do to prevent skin aging - I use a hypoallergenic kids factor 50 because it doesn't trigger any reaction from my skin and it's invisible under the bb cream I use on top.

IzXu3sh

Guess which side of his face was exposed to the sun?

edit: weird, image won't embed - here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/hnyWoYn

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

B0jangles wrote: »
    Sunblock is the best easy thing you can do to prevent skin aging - I use a hypoallergenic kids factor 50 because it doesn't trigger any reaction from my skin and it's invisible under the bb cream I use on top.

IzXu3sh

Guess which side of his face was exposed to the sun?

edit: weird, image won't embed - here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/hnyWoYn

I know that pic is mad. That's an extreme circumstance. I'd say he was driving his truck in Mexico or somewhere where its always sunny and always in the same direction haha

Advertisement