Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairyhouse

Options
  • 20-04-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Irish Grand National
    - 19 of the runners trained by Mullins or Elliott

- 8 of the 33 owned by JP McManus

- 12 of the 33 owned by Gigginstown

Farce of a race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Irish Grand National

Farce of a race.
    It's not good, but at the same time I would ask, where are the British horses? This is one of the richest races in the national hunt calendar with the winner pocketing half a million. Despite this, there are only two British trained runners (both owned by McManus). Think it's safe to say but for JP, there would be no British trained runners at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Anyway what are the predictions: Fitzhenry if he gets in and Minella Rocco the value for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Irish Grand National

Farce of a race.

That makes for depressing reading - farcical is the only word for it. We’ve family from America staying with us this weekend and I’m bringing them up to Fairyhouse tomorrow to see it, i went through the card with them last night explaining who’s who and they couldn’t believe that such domination is allowed happen in Ireland’s most prestigious race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Plumpton 3.25 - Legal History
    Cork - 3.40 - Laverteen
    Fairyhouse - 2.50 Robin De Carlow
    Fairyhouse - 3.50 Kildorrey
    Fairyhouse - 4.25 Winter Escape

Have a great Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭liamjames1

Motivator wrote: »
    That makes for depressing reading - farcical is the only word for it. We’ve family from America staying with us this weekend and I’m bringing them up to Fairyhouse tomorrow to see it, i went through the card with them last night explaining who’s who and they couldn’t believe that such domination is allowed happen in Ireland’s most prestigious race.

What do you mean allowed? Trainers don’t get preference based on who they are. The horses ratings and entries dictate this.

Surely it should be about the best horses competing which is what the system is designed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Rest in Peace Cubomania

Just a quick congrats to all the connections at Closutton who managed to get Whiskey Sour the Grade 1 winner and former Galway Hurdle favourite beaten today by a horse that had not finished a race in two years.. It an outstanding achievement. Getting one primed to beat another from your own stable is just fantastic.

I suppose I better also thank all the traders in the main bookies who managed to make Whiskey Sour favourite even though no one apart from every mug in the country backed it, especially considering no one in Closutton was on, nicely done.

I was going to thank Aubrey McMahon for ramming Whiskey Sour into the last fence when he was three lengths clear and pulling away, however I actually consider that to be dangerous riding, you could have least pulled it up after half a circuit and provided some post race waffle about him not going so well.

Anyway a great result, well done all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Just a quick congrats to all the connections at Closutton who managed to get Whiskey Sour the Grade 1 winner and former Galway Hurdle favourite beaten today by a horse that had not finished a race in two years.. It an outstanding achievement. Getting one primed to beat another from your own stable is just fantastic.

I suppose I better also thank all the traders in the main bookies who managed to make Whiskey Sour favourite even though no one apart from every mug in the country backed it, especially considering no one in Closutton was on, nicely done.

I was going to thank Aubrey McMahon for ramming Whiskey Sour into the last fence when he was three lengths clear and pulling away, however I actually consider that to be dangerous riding, you could have least pulled it up after half a circuit and provided some post race waffle about him not going so well.

Hahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

Nasty pile up in the last today. They were treating one of the jockeys for quite a while. Screens up for one of the horses as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Apt username

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

You had your bollox on didn’t you

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

Ok, I'll bite.

1) Aubrey McMahon has yet to have a winner over jump, he's only 19/20 and clearly inexperienced with his claim but as the horses owner, his father has every right to have him on his horse despite what you are getting at.
    2) Danny Mullins stole the race by running on the sounder surface (the outside of the track). Lac Kivu is by Sakhee (Grumeti, Squadron etc) and would appreciate the going today more than most.

3) In a first time tonguestrap, the winner has bags of stamina and was always going to stay on. Before he joined Mullins, he won a 15f maiden at Dieppe and though the form of his maiden win at Punchestown was nothing out of the ordinary, it was over an extended 2m 4f trip so it was always going to be difficult to stay into him if he got first run.
    4) It was a fair training effort to get the horse to win after 626 days off but don't think for a second that Whisky Sour didn't run on his merits.
    5) It was a hurdles race - you mentioned that the gelding hit a fence so to me it appears that you are either talking out of your pocket, or talking out of your hole.

Oh - and I laid Lac Kivu by the way at 8/1 just in case you are wondering.

lemush wrote: »
    Apt username
    - I see what you did there ….
    akelly02 wrote: »
    You had your bollox on didn’t you
    - it actually wasn't that bad, but I am more annoyed with myself for not seeing it coming. I have seen that messing before, loads of times.
    Ok, I'll bite.

1) Aubrey McMahon has yet to have a winner over jump, he's only 19/20 and clearly inexperienced with his claim but as the horses owner, his father has every right to have him on his horse despite what you are getting at.
    2) Danny Mullins stole the race by running on the sounder surface (the outside of the track). Lac Kivu is by Sakhee (Grumeti, Squadron etc) and would appreciate the going today more than most.

3) In a first time tonguestrap, the winner has bags of stamina and was always going to stay on. Before he joined Mullins, he won a 15f maiden at Dieppe and though the form of his maiden win at Punchestown was nothing out of the ordinary, it was over an extended 2m 4f trip so it was always going to be difficult to stay into him if he got first run.
    4) It was a fair training effort to get the horse to win after 626 days off but don't think for a second that Whisky Sour didn't run on his merits.
    5) It was a hurdles race - you mentioned that the gelding hit a fence so to me it appears that you are either talking out of your pocket, or talking out of your hole.

Oh - and I laid Lac Kivu by the way at 8/1 just in case you are wondering.

1) Your insinuation that Aubrey McMahon can't jockey is very unfair. He is a great jockey. He has won big handicaps around Galway and he has a great future, good luck to him. TBH I probably am getting at that, so what?
    2) Slapping Danny on the back for giving the winner a great ride is incidental giving the horse won the race. Hindsight whilst being a bummer can also look sublime, it just depends what side of the winning ticket your on.
    3) I would prefer to be not patronised on the merits of first time headgear in this instance, it sounds like blah blah something something blah blah. I am delighted that the winner won his maiden in the west of France 3 years ago... however given that he needed to have won a race to get an entry it is hardly justification for winning..... apart from that it did look like a gutsy run and an acute ride by the jockey.
    4) I never once said WPM could not train a horse, but on behalf of everyone in the world can I thank you for pointing that out.
    5) I misspoke, but given you've elected to get pedantic over the difference between a fence and a hurdle and your reference to me not having a clue, I am beginning to question why you even bothered to reply in the first place.... your not somehow connected to the winners/losers by any chance?

Be careful how you answer that last question because it was subtly thrown in there with reference to your last post. It is unsporting and I gather illegal for connections of racehorses to lay them on any platform within the industry, thread carefully when spoofing about laying horses, I don't believe you did btw.

I could have saved my breadth here by simply congratulating you on a great result, I now hate myself for not doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

The fact you thought Whiskey Sour was jumping fences says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Singles on Petit Mouchoir and Sizing Potsie at bigger prices today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Gardens of Babylon must have a stonking chance of turning it around with the fav on this ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

backing spades are trump's in the 3.15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

4:10 today

Magnium has been competing in some tricky grades races for the inform Jessica Harrington but now steps into handicap company and the step up to 3miles and ground will suit.

20/1 is worth a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Andrew00 wrote: »
    4:10 today

Magnium has been competing in some tricky grades races for the inform Jessica Harrington but now steps into handicap company and the step up to 3miles and ground will suit.

20/1 is worth a few quid
    On as well for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Backed Debuchet and Jezki at 20/1 and 12/1 respectively
    back to work today so wont see any of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Backed Debuchet and Jezki at 20/1 and 12/1 respectively
    back to work today so wont see any of it

That’s fairly amazing as I literally just came out of paddy power with a ew double on those 2 with 5 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

aidankkk wrote: »
    That’s fairly amazing as I literally just came out of paddy power with a ew double on those 2 with 5 places.

Down there for dancin' Aido! Wha!

in my dictionary if you looked up hound a picture of debuchet would appear

I should agree but his form behind City Island and Fayonagh cannot be ignored, his seconditis looks to bad to be true. He's more than likely a bit fat plot for Mags Mullins. She could easily be jogging him out until Ballybrit this summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Theonly way

I thought that my best chance of an upset @ the odds was Barra .(3.10)

Its record is 27%-64%-22 . while the jolly is far superior with a credible 46%-62%-13 

However and there always is with me (ha) Barra .its record fresh is exceptional =2-3-6 .

Look its speculative but @ the odds will take a chance on it .

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Probably not far from mine as well. Really i'm just testing, if i dont put up the tips will they win .:(

Really fancy him to be placed in the first 5 though and Jezki hense the ew double.

Probably not far from mine as well. Really i'm just testing, if i dont put up the tips will they win .:(

Really fancy him to be placed in the first 5 though and Jezki hense the ew double.

best of luck anyway lad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tell me one of us backed Ivanovich today? ****ing raging I didn't. Stupid work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I should agree but his form behind City Island and Fayonagh cannot be ignored, his seconditis looks to bad to be true. He's more than likely a bit fat plot for Mags Mullins. She could easily be jogging him out until Ballybrit this summer....

I don’t think it’s a case of Mag’s plotting something, I think they’re just desperate to get any kind of a win into him. I wonder what kind of improvement a change of trainer would bring about? There is some level of ability there, there’s no questioning that, the excuses are running out for him though. I would love to see him get his head in front sooner rather than later, the owners must have some patience.

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s a case of Mag’s plotting something, I think they’re just desperate to get any kind of a win into him. I wonder what kind of improvement a change of trainer would bring about? There is some level of ability there, there’s no questioning that, the excuses are running out for him though. I would love to see him get his head in front sooner rather than later, the owners must have some patience.

He is not getting 3 miles anyway if today is anything to go by. I just cannot believe he has yet to get in front, especially given the races he has run in. He has all the makings of a two mile handicapper to me. But he is definitely very expensive to follow. My biggest fear is seeing him hose up in a 100k handicap the one day I am not on. I still reckon he is a plot for a big handicap. I just don't know which one yet ….

Advertisement