Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to Education Teachers and Tutors BTEI Contracts Urgent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eire236

No, we got a letter saying the conversion would take place, two years ago! It said another letter would be sent out with details. Since then, nothing. So disheartening. New people have been employed and fewer hours for more experienced teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarah foo

Any updates with anyone since? I'm waiting to see if I am eligible for conversion... I'm a fully qualified teacher and teaching Leaving Cert in the subject I'm qualified to teach yet classed as a tutor... I'm not with BTEI but my colleagues are being converted from previous btei jobs without the teaching qualifications. Can I do the same? I worked in Btei for a year (2014-2015) yet never received this famous letter offering conversion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

talk to local union or area rep. its a slow proce4ss and some ETBs are slower than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 C.J.L.

According to TUI monthly magazine, conversions have started and some completed in Laois Offaly ETB. Still only talking in WWETB as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Hi, im curious about this. I was under the impression that to get teacher status adult educators had to complete the Hdip in Further education? This was brought in in 2013 and FE teachers where given a number of years to complete this.
    I completed it myself as have many FE teachers and although I have no problem with those who havnt completed it getting teacher status, I do feel disheartened and angry as I spent 6 thousand on this course, the course was good but I could have easily gotten by without it and wouldnt have completed it if id known it wouldnt be needed. Has anyone heard about this? tbh im personally fuming that we were told to complete it only for them to go back on their word and give the teacher status to all tutors. Its not fair, I struggled to get the money together for that course and now it seems it was all for nothing. I dont understand why they think its ok to treat educators in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Hi, im curious about this. I was under the impression that to get teacher status adult educators had to complete the Hdip in Further education? This was brought in in 2013 and FE teachers where given a number of years to complete this.
    I completed it myself as have many FE teachers and although I have no problem with those who havnt completed it getting teacher status, I do feel disheartened and angry as I spent 6 thousand on this course, the course was good but I could have easily gotten by without it and wouldnt have completed it if id known it wouldnt be needed. Has anyone heard about this? tbh im personally fuming that we were told to complete it only for them to go back on their word and give the teacher status to all tutors. Its not fair, I struggled to get the money together for that course and now it seems it was all for nothing. I dont understand why they think its ok to treat educators in this way.

AFAIK, there's 3 options, get HDip and convert to teacher; be a resource worker (35hr week) or stay as you were ( typically paid as unqualified part time, no increments)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pocketmo

My understanding, for the past number of years, is that the requirement was to gain recognition with the Teaching Council of Ireland which doesn’t necessarily require an HDip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

pocketmo wrote: »
    My understanding, for the past number of years, is that the requirement was to gain recognition with the Teaching Council of Ireland which doesn’t necessarily require an HDip.

We were told it did require a Hdip and it actually says it in teaching council requirements. If its a situation where theyve claimed this to be mandatory and then gone back on their word after so many of us forked out the thousands of euros on the course, I will be making a serious complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭o1aa

Hi all,

I want to get into Higher Education teaching and I will complete the Higher diploma in FE.
    If I do it and get a job, will I be recognised as a teacher or will they try to put it under 'tutor'?

How is the current situation with contracts etc?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement